Start by marking “Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic

Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic

(Harry Potter: A History of Magic Exhibition)

An irresistible romp through the history of magic, from alchemy to unicorns, ancient witchcraft to Harry's Hogwarts – packed with unseen sketches and manuscript pages from J.K. Rowling, magical illustrations from Jim Kay and weird, wonderful and inspiring artefacts that have been magically released from the archives at the British Library.

This spellbinding book takes read
Published October 20th 2017 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter, please sign up.

Miranda Reads
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That's right.

There's a Harry Potter exhibit.

And it's a whole motherfudging ocean away.

Deeeeeep Breaths.

For those of you, like myself, simmering in a cauldron of jealous envy...well, at least we can still live vicariously through books. You can still experience (almost) all the wonder and magic of the History of Magic exhibit through one of the two souvenir books. This is the children's version - as noted by its soft cover and absence of the 'ickier' kinds of magic.

We go class-by-class and
Trish
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2017 marks the 20th anniversary of the publication of the very first Harry Potter book, the beginning of a magical journey for so many people around the world. There are a lot of interesting facts surrounding the author and how the story came to be, but there is another side: peoples‘ fascination with magic (spells, wands, certain animals, plants, ...) and the Harry Potter Exhibition at the British Library shows just that combination of what Rowling used in her books and historical scripts, pain ...more
Lucy Langford
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I bought this straight after visiting the HP history of magic exhibition at the British library... literally, they were selling these books on a book stand at the end of the exhibition and I just couldn't resist!

It is a fantastic book filled with knowledge about the courses taught at Hogwarts and the history behind them. It is filled with wonderful illustrations through out and the knowledge is just so fascinating, it makes me want to research more. Definitely magical !
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Este fue un libro súper divertido de leer, sobre todo porque tienen un montón de material extra sobre el mundo de Harry Potter que nunca había visto la luz: ilustraciones de J. K. Rowling, manuscritos originales, escenas que fueron borradas, notas del editor, incluso una carta del guionista de todas las pelis.

Además, Harry Potter: A Journey Through a History Of Magic nos cuenta las historias reales de muchos objetos y artefactos que han sido considerados mágicos a lo largo de las eras y que, de
Barbara
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing

In 2017 'The British Library' mounted an exhibition called "Harry Potter: A Journey Through a History of Magic" to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the publication of the first Harry Potter novel. This is a companion book to the library's presentation. Harry Potter fans will find much to like in this tribute, which is BEAUTIFUL to look at and FUN to read.

The book contains a variety of wonderful tidbits related to the Harry Potter series. Examples follow.

The volume contains original sketches
Patricia Bejarano
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro muy diferente al resto de libros especiales de este estilo de Harry Potter.
Nos adentramos más al folclore de la magia durante toda la historia y como influyó todo eso en la historia que creó JK Rowling. Sin duda ha sido muy instructivo ^^
También trae muchas curiosidades, imágenes inéditas de los primeros bocetos de Harry Potter y también algunos de los borradores que nunca llegaron a estar dentro de los libros. Eso sí, todo eso viene en inglés (en la versión española). Creo que para lo
David Schaafsma
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harry-potter, fantasy
I was unable to attend the exhibition at the British Library on the occasion of the twentieth year since the 1997 release of the first Harry Potter volume. Well, a book about Harry Potter and magic, you say? Isn't a companion book on magic a bit redundant? Well, you have a point, but this is a lovely illustrated coffee table (paperback, which is to say affordable) commemorative version, the primary audience (appropriately, I guess) young people, illustrated by the two central (and both wonderful ...more
Barbara
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The volume contains original sketches
Kristen
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I'm going to be honest, I think that if I read pretty much ANYTHING Harry Potter that I would like it. Even if it sucked pretty hardcore, I would probably like it to some degree. Anytime I am able to be back in the Harry Potter world, I am a happy girl.

This book is a really cool mash-up of Harry Potter and history. I like that aspect because it really emphasizes how much thought and research went into the creation of the Harry Potter world. The book also includes hand-written excerpts from t
✩ Ashley ✩
5 Stars

I recommend the physical book, it is gorgeous and a quick informative read!

PSA: Be warned the audiobook is HIGHLY DISAPPOINTING!! Ahhh my ears 🙉🙉🙉 (But more power to you if you can make it through the first 45mins on the first 15 pages let alone the entire 11+hours)

BlogTwitterInstagram
Veronique
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having bought the ‘adult’ version, I wasn’t going to get this one, thinking erroneously that it wouldn’t be as good. Silly really because I enjoyed it as much! At the base of it, the information is fundamentally the same but the layout has been adapted for a ‘younger’ audience in a very smart and beautiful way that people of all ages can appreciate.

description

Once more you get details for all the subjects taught at Hogwarts, using documents and artefacts from the British Library and other private collecti
QNPoohBear
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing full-color look at the history behind the book series and also a glimpse at the writing process. As a research nerd myself, I am drawn to this fictional world because so much of it is based on medieval science, folklore and mythology. I especially love the images and descriptions of the rare books describing alchemy, magic charms, creatures and more. I was aware of the Philosopher's Stone (I detest the American translations) and early alchemists but have never seen any of thes ...more
Jess The Bookworm
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great companion read for lovers of the Harry Potter series. This book goes through JK Rowling's inspirations for elements of her world building, taking us through the curriculum at Hogwarts, the characters and magical instruments used throughout.

It includes sketches done by JK Rowling herself, showing us exactly what she pictured her characters to look like. It also has early drafts of certain chapters with all of the editing notes and her handwritten plans for the series. Her mind just works
Delia Devin
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
While I loved the tidbits from JK Rowling and found the historical facts of magic and witchcraft fascinating, I would love to understand the magical world, which Harry lives better. Like, where is that encyclopedia/History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot we all want??

But again, this is really beautiful and for someone who can't afford the illustrated editions, I was charmed by the beautiful drawings. My favorite has to be the Diagon Alley one.
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
If you are like me and love Harry Potter, I suggest this book. It gives a great background on JK Rowling and has many of her drawings and planning of the books in it. It's awesome sauce.
Lauren Stoolfire
Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic is a really cool behind the scenes look at one of my all time favorite series. I loved reading about all of the real life historical elements. I wish I could have visited the special exhibition at the British Library because that truly would have been awesome!
Tereza Eliášová
Jako jo, milá knížka... jestli jste praví potterheadi, asi byste si ji měli přečíst.
Jestli jste ještě pravější potterheadi, tak většinu z těch obrázků a čmáranic od JKR už jste viděli kdysi dávno předávno na jejích prapůvodních webových stránkách, kde se daly najít v různých schovávačkách. Ale to už je asi tisíc let, takže počítám, že moc takových lidí není, nebo si to nepamatujou :D
A ano, uznávám, že tam bylo pár i opravdu nikdy neviděných věcí. Nebo věcí, které jsem si nepamatovala já :D A zaj
Bridget Vollmer
Oct 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: hp
Just picked this up at my local bookstore....perfection! I can't wait to read each page. It's absolutely beautiful and a wonderful companion to the wizarding world of HP

Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Fun collection, great for fans of Harry Potter who won't be able to visit the exhibition in the British Library in the foreseeable future. I'm a big enough fan to have read all of the books and seen all of the movies so this book had added details that I was not aware of. For the super fan this may be information that they are already privy to. I found it interesting.
Michael
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book. The illustrations are wonderful. The inside facts about how certain elements were created is a great touch.
Sara Planz
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved seeing where Rowling drew her inspiration and how she created this amazing world.
Ailie Vuper
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this was meant for a younger audience I absolutely loved reading about the history of the magical subjects and seeing what the British Library had put together for the 20 year celebration of Harry Potter. I smiled so much while reading this book and it was nice to delve back into the Potter universe for a bit! Every Harry Potter fan should check this out.
Valentina Christod
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You really don't need both. But I did
Noninuna
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been putting this off after starting it back in April (?) because I thought it was nothing so important to finish it but now that I actually done with it, I'm glad. However, I don't know how to categorize this book, whether to put in under fiction or non-fiction. It's kind of mixture of both fantasy, myths, legends and facts.

It talks about how Harry Potter comes to be the book that was published, the magic itself from the old time until now, in different culture and religion. We also get t

Melanie (meltheauror)
My heart is full atm.

I just had a wonderful/torturous day full of Harry Potter, having binge-watched the last 3 movies in the Harry Potter series.

In an attempt to cheer myself up after that last (INTENSE) movie, I picked up this book, and I. Couldn't. Stop. Reading. It.

The book is full of an amazing collection of annotations, drawings, deleted scenes and drafts of the HP books from J.K. Rowling's personal collection; it gives an AMAZING "historical"/mythological background to Jo's inspiration wh
Jenny (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
This was such a fun, interesting and quick read! The entire book was more illustrations and quotes taken from the Harry Potter novels than actual additional information. However I particularly loved getting to see some actual handwritten drafts and pages from typed manuscripts from when J.K. Rowling was writing the novels. Getting to glimpse inside the mind of arguably one of the most famous and successful authors was quite special.
Bianca
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Despite being an avid reader of the Harry Potter books I hadn't heard of this edition until I walked passed it in the local store. I didn't have particularly high hopes for it but ended up being pleasantly surprised.
This book doesn't just take us through a history of magic in the HP world, but rather a worldwide history of magic that explains where JK Rowling got a lot of her inspiration from.

I was hooked from the first page, and finished reading in a hour. My favourite parts are definitely th
Ankita Singh
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God. Those illustrations were gorgeous! And I can't believe so many of the magic things (I mean, MANDRAKES?!) actually exist(ed) in real life!

This book was short, fun and beautiful. A must-have for every Potterhead out there!
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
I loved the deeper look at the Hogwarts subjects (my class would totally be Charms) and the interesting artifacts. The best part was seeing Rowling's handwritten pages - seeing the bridge from her mind to the world of Harry Potter was inspiring.
Özde
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowling'e ait çizimlerin ve yazıların yanı sıra kitaptaki en sevdiğim bölümlerden biri de Steve Kloves' in Harry Potter'ı nasıl keşfettiği ile ilgili yazısıydı.
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond
  • The Art of the Film: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter: the Character Vault
  • The Art of Harry Potter
  • Geminiderne (Spektrum, #2)
  • Upstairs & Downstairs: The Illustrated Guide to the Real Life of Masters and Their Servants from the Victorian Era to the Second World War
  • Kids of Kabul
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • The Mad Potter: George E. Ohr, Eccentric Genius
  • Ben Franklin's Big Splash: The Mostly True Story of His First Invention
  • Free as a Bird: The Story of Malala
  • A Boy, a Mouse, and a Spider--The Story of E. B. White
  • Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #2)
  • Harry Potter: The Wand Collection
  • Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille
  • The Scraps Book
The British Library is the national library of the United Kingdom and a major research library. It is the world's largest library in terms of total number of items, holding over 150 million of them from many countries, in many languages and in many formats. The Library's collections include around 14 million books (second only to the United States' Library of Congress), along with substantial hold ...more

Harry Potter: A History of Magic Exhibition (2 books)
  • Harry Potter: A History of Magic