Start by marking “Murder After Hours” as Want to Read:
Murder After Hours

Murder After Hours

(Hercule Poirot #26)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  23,694 ratings  ·  1,370 reviews
Lady Angkatell, intrigued by the criminal mind, has invited Hercule Poirot to her estate for a weekend house party. The Belgian detective's arrival at the Hollow is met with an elaborate tableau staged for his amusement: a doctor lies in a puddle of red paint, his timid wife stands over his body with a gun while the other guests look suitably shocked. But this is no charad ...more
Published 1982 by Dell Pub. Co. (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Murder After Hours, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) She created him far too soon, and made him far too old. In The Mysterious Affair at Styles, he is already a retired policeman, which would make him at…moreShe created him far too soon, and made him far too old. In The Mysterious Affair at Styles, he is already a retired policeman, which would make him at least 50. She got tired of him, because people were ignoring her other characters and clamoring for Poirot all the time. As an author, she began to feel he was a weight around her neck.(less)

·  23,694 ratings  ·  1,370 reviews

Start your review of Murder After Hours
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hollow (Hercule Poirot #26), Agatha Christie

The Hollow is a work of detective fiction by Agatha Christie, first published in 1946.

On the morning that he and his downtrodden wife, Gerda, are due to travel down to the country to weekend with friends, Dr John Christow, a successful physician, leading researcher, and very tired and irritated by his current life, allows his little daughter to tell his fortune with cards. When the death card is drawn, he pays no attention, but the appearance of
Evgeny
Lady Angkatell invited some guests for a weekend. To spice up her party her new neighbor famous detective Hercule Poirot was one of the guests - the rest of them were her relatives. At this point the reader is introduced to them. First of all there was John Christow. He was a very interesting character in the following sense. Reading the book I realized all the jackasses in the world fall into two categories: regular run-of-the mill variety every one of us encounter daily and John Christow.
Jackass

The r
Adrian
Review to follow 👍🏻👍🏻

And so here is my belated review. The Hollow is an excellent story that epitomises the talents of Hercule Poirot. As other people have mentioned the murder itself is almost secondary to the intricate investigation that Poirot conducts.
He is fortunately living in a little cottage on the edge of the grounds of the mansion house where the murder took place, and had been invited to the house on the day of the murder itself. He witnesses the immediate aftermath of the murder and
BrokenTune
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"Since she was a woman of disconcertingly rapid thought processes, Lady Angkatell, as was her invariable custom, commenced the conversation in her own mind, supplying Midge’s answers out of her own fertile imagination. The conversation was in full swing when Lady Angkatell flung open Midge’s door.
‘–And so, darling, you really must agree that the weekend is going to present difficulties!’ ‘Eh? Hwah!’ Midge grunted inarticulately, aroused thus abruptly from a satisfying and deep sleep."

A house par
mark monday
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are Dr. John Christow and you are not having the time of your life. Women, women everywhere, and not a drop to drink. There's the mistress who won't have you, the wife you don't want, the secretary who sees it all, the female patients you could care less about, and that one sad case you wish you could save... it is time to get away, maybe go out to the country and enjoy some clean air by the poolside. But the country has its own share of female trouble. It all becom
Beverly
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Agatha Christie

Poirot is not my favorite of Christie's detectives. I prefer Miss Marple, but this is a psychologically interesting dive into what provoked a normally seeming person to murder. Although this is good, be warned that Christie was racist and anti-Semitic and you will find that here. She uses a horrible portrait of a shopkeeper to denounce a faith and actually used the most repugnant word of racists to describe a dessert.
Piyangie
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-mystery
I never thought I could be disappointed in an Agatha Christie book. Surprisingly, that is possible too. It was difficult to rate the book as I have. The story was quite interesting. It would have been a four-star rating book, had it not come under the murder-mystery genre.

The accepted model of an Agatha Christie novel would be the predominance of the crime and ascertaining the person who committed it. But in The Hollow , one sees the predominance of characters and their inter-relations. The cr
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
This one holds an almost dreamy ambience, especially at the end. It reminds me of Death in the Nile with that rare quality. It's true that it DID take longer than usual to get to the actual death, but it's an unusual Christie story anyway. She delves into the personal aspects of the characters lives, something she rarely does, even to the degree where the details became irrelevant to the mystery at hand.

You might think this would be distracting, bad writing; instead, it was a refreshing change.
Dave Schaafsma
“I hate the dreadful Hollow behind the little wood.
Its lips in the field above are dabbled with blood-red heath;
The red ribb’d ledges drip with a silent horror of blood,
And Echo there, whatever is ask’d her, answers ‘Death’”—Tennyson, quoted by Poirot

“He is dead and gone, lady
He is dead and gone;
At his head a grass-green turf
At his heels a stone”—Shakespeare (Hamlet), quoted by Midge

“Everything matters”—Poirot

This book has a slightly lower Goodreads rating than other Poirot books, but I will d
Ken
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst attending Lucy Angkatell’s invitation at her English country house, Hercule Poirot arrives just in time for what appears to be a mocked murder scene by the swimming pool.
On closer inspection our favourite Belgium detective discovers that in fact our victim John Christow whilst gasping ‘Henrietta’ as his final last words blood is slowly dripping into the pool.

I loved the description of this death, it felt so vivid and real!
Along with this great setting of this memorable murder also sees a
Bruce
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacques Barzun called this novel "a triumph of her [Christie's] art" and I enthusiastically second that judgment. In-depth characterization is perilous in a detective story, where the main interest is the mystery. But with Christie characterization is an integral part of the plot, thus the "art" Barzun refers to. In The Hollow, for instance, a romance is superbly delineated and of great interest by itself. It is also interwoven with the crime both in terms of motive and metaphorically.

A detectiv
Dr. Laurel Young
Standing ovation for this one--outstanding, really one of Dame Agatha's very best. And how fabulously creepy is the quotation from Alfred, Lord Tennyson's poem "Maude," which provides the title?

"I hate the dreadful hollow behind the little wood,
Its lips in the field above are dabbled with blood-red heath,
The red-ribb`d ledges drip with a silent horror of blood,
And Echo there, whatever is ask`d her, answers 'Death.'"

I love Christie's literary allusions; I was inspired to re-read "Maude" after
John
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janete
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I read this in just one sitting, but in my mother language (Portuguese). I found the book's end interesting. It wasn't very exciting, however it was unlike the others Agatha Christie's books that I've read. ...more
mollusskka
I don't think I'm gonna include this one into my still short list of great detective stories by Agatha Christie. The mystery wasn't quite intriguing, although her narrative did mislead me a bit (I should've trusted my gut more, Lol). But I think all the characters were great. By great, I mean, they were all unique and were told in a funny way sometimes. Gerda and Lucy were the ones with the most unique and funniest personality. The way they talk and think were hilarious. So, over all, I enjoyed ...more
holly
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personally, after reading many many many many of Christie's books, The Hollow is undoubtedly my favorite. The characters are so well developed and I love the way they all interact. My favorites of her books are always set in the big country house with enigmatic people, and of course the one and only Hercule Poirot. Pure enjoyment. ...more
Jammin Jenny
I really liked this Hercule Poirot mystery. The characters were really well developed, and Agatha stumped me once again. I did not know who the killer was until Hercule revealed the plot. Great story telling.
Robyn Brown
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic***
3houd
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I chose The Hollow to be the first book of Agatha's that I read in its original language. I've read all of Agatha's books but a few, all translated in Arabic, and I had a slight fear that I wouldn't like it in English. But I liked it much better in English.

I've seen the adaptation of The Hollow some years ago. I liked it very much, and naturally when I read the book two days ago I had a very clear idea about the ending.
But my previous knowledge didn't prepare me for the actual depth of the novel
Saumya Agnihotri
One of my friends gave me this book and told me all good things about it. I knew this already that like other Agatha's books I have read before, this book is also going to blow my mind.
description
Though I planned the last part of the book to read only after exams and I promised myself not to touch it.
But as it happens always, I had to break my promise to read it. Now that I know the murderer I can live in peace!
Hirdesh
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely !
REVIEW SOON
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Hollow — originally published as Murder After Hours — Christie paints the perfect picture of a bullying, narcissistic husband and his co-dependent doormat wife. Dr. John Christow, a research scientist in the midst of a mid-life crisis, takes his anxiety out by hectoring his poor dim-witted but adoring wife Gerda. The Christows head off to a weekend at a country home called The Hollow, owned by Lady Lucy Angkatell. Also visiting are John’s new mistress, a sculptor named Henrietta Savernake ...more
F.R.
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently, Agatha Christie was of the view that ‘The Hollow’ goes wrong when Hercule Poirot appears. I disagree. I think it goes wrong when the murder happens. It wouldn’t matter who the detective is, the book has already had its intriguing premise shattered.

The opening sections of ‘The Hollow’ are some of the most interesting Christie produced. Yes, there are the standard Christie archetypes, but she is pulling back the layers to reveal living people underneath and in the process giving us a
Anissa
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poirot fans
I love mysteries. I read them and watch them and one of my favourite things about them is when you're introduced to the characters and one is so awful or has riled up so many people that you just know, there's your murder victim. Dr. John Christow, upon introduction, came screaming off the pages that he was that guy and it was all I could do not to skip forward to his demise (very end of chapter 10) to see how it was going to be done and who among the characters would be the one to send him on h ...more
Jack Heath
3 Stars. One wonders whether Christie considered "The Hollow" as a possible play from the very beginning. It became one six years after the novel was published, yet the original has the feel of the stage - the dramatic entry of the soon-to-be deceased man's former girlfriend for example. Hercule Poirot finds the going a little disjointed and confusing. So did I. The clues point to everyone and to no one. Guests are gathering for a weekend in the country at the lovely estate, the "Hollow," of Lad ...more
Tom Donaghey
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british
The Hollow (1946) (Poirot # 26) by Agatha Christie. The Hollow is the name of the estate where this murder mystery is set. It is also a description of what Poirot thinks about the people living there. They seem empty of life, hollow shells that are giving a simulation of people doing the things they would normally be doing. All that is except for the one who is dead.
Originally the title included an s at the end of Hollow, which inclines me to think Dame Agatha had originally been talking abou
Pamela
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this a few times already, but it never ceases to fascinate me. What got me this time was the pure malevolence of Lucy. So sweet. So charming. Such a good hostess. And without a doubt, a complete sociopath (or is it psychopath?).

(OK. I have to take back the bit about a good hostess since she was considering killing one of her guests so things wouldn't be so difficult for her cousin.)

To me, she is one of the most frightening characters ever created. Forget about Hannibal....Lucy has him
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I think I could read Hercule Poirot mysteries over and over again and never get bored. I know some of the stories by heart and have seen their film adaptations but I still enjoy reading them very much!
Crime Addict Sifat
Hercule Poirot is appalled by the unrefined amusingness his leader shows by masterminding a "murder" scene to unfurl as he arrives. Too awful it was genuine... At the point when Poirot understands the man with the gunfire wound is truly biting the dust, he surges over in the nick of time to hear the man heave a name: "Henrietta." Poirot first presumes the spouse of the wrongdoing, at that point the fancy woman, and each other relative and worker thus. He at last understands that each intimation, ...more
Earnest Painter
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through the Hercule Poirot novels. I've made it through more than half of them. With The Hollow I think I've stumbled across the point in which the author, Agatha Christie, has learned to hate Poirot. (I really need to read her autobiography for myself.) She wrote and said a few colorful things about her most popular character, and not all of them are very nice.

What I found most interesting about this particular Poirot novel is how completely superfluous he actually is. She de
Reading the Detec...: Poirot Buddy Read 27: The Hollow 10 25 Mar 01, 2020 11:08AM
Agatha Christie L...: June 2021 - The Hollow 1 4 Oct 18, 2019 08:30AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect 'Previously published as..' 3 23 Jun 12, 2017 09:44AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 2 11 Oct 29, 2015 02:47PM
Agatha Christie L...: This topic has been closed to new comments. CLOSED June 2014 - The Hollow 27 122 Sep 21, 2014 09:53AM
Were Henrietta and Gerda representations of Christie herself? 1 27 Jan 30, 2014 03:43PM

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Spider's Web
  • The Rose and the Yew Tree
  • The Killings at Kingfisher Hill (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #4)
  • A Box of Tricks
  • Secrets and Sorcery
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)