Start by marking “The Shadows Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Shadows Between Us

The Shadows Between Us

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  35,946 ratings  ·  6,366 reviews
Alessandra is tired of being overlooked, but she has a plan to gain power:

3) Kill him and take his kingdom for herself.

No one knows the extent of the freshly crowned Shadow King’s power. Some say he can command the shadows that swirl around him to do his bidding. Others say they speak to him, whispering the thoughts of his enemies. Regar
Published February 25th 2020 by Feiwel and Friends

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirImagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2020
779 books — 2,839 voters
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. SchwabBlood & Honey by Shelby Mahurin
Can't Wait Books of 2020
1,016 books — 2,846 voters

More lists with this book...

·  35,946 ratings  ·  6,366 reviews

Start your review of The Shadows Between Us
jessica
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a book is worth five stars if i am willing to sacrifice one of my favourite things - sleep. i started this when i got home from work and stayed up until 2am (even though i knew i had to get up early) because i just could not. put. this. down.

there are so many qualities and aspects to this which make this story so wonderful:
- a female MC who is unapologetically herself. even when her feelings and motives change, she is still true to herself.

- a female MC who is ruthless, as well as kind. usually
MischaS_
EDIT:
This book maybe did not win the Goodreads Choice Awards but it's my winner the Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction category and that's enough for me.
EDIT:
Finding out that this book did not make it into the final round of the Goodreads Choice Awards.

IT WORKED! YES!YES!YES!
You cannot imagine how happy I'm when I go to see the second round of the Goodreads Choice Awards and The Shadows Between Us are nominated in the Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction.
The write-in work
Tricia Levenseller
Mar 07, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
11/11 Guys, SHADOWS is a Goodreads Choice Awards semifinalist! If you enjoyed the book, I'd love for you to vote on it! Link here: https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward... Thanks so much to everyone who has already gotten it this far! You guys are the best!

3/4 SHADOWS has been out for just over a week now, and I wanted to say thank you to everyone for your support! If you're interested, I'd love for you to add my next novel to your Goodreads TBR: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

1/9 *CLOS
 Teodora
May 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

description

I wanted to love this book. I didn’t love this book.
I wanted to like this book. I didn’t like this book.
What can I say now? It was bland.

I don’t want to hate on this, I don’t like to hate on things in general, but I must signal some not-so-pleasant aspects about it. I want to put into words what I felt after giving The Shadows Between Us a shot.

The concept is really interesting. Like, that synopsis sold me the book. And the beginning w
Angelica
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
What is it about mutually horrible, morally questionable, murder prone people falling in love that is so utterly addicting?

This book so extremely entertaining. It hooks you right from the first line and keeps you reading till the end. The main character, Alessandra, is a vain and wicked girl with a villenous plan. She is a murderer, a schemer, and a liar. But you know what, so is the Shadow King and that’s what makes them great together!

They are two murderous peas in a pod and it's beautiful!

I
Arini
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Book of 2020

4.5 Stars

Although I’m too much of a HUFFLEPUFF to be like Alessandra or to even have the guts to do half the things she did in this book, The Shadows Between Us wooed me in all its SLYTHERIN glory.

Tired of being constantly overlooked, Alessandra is determined to prove just how cunning and villainous she can be. The plan is simple:

What could possibly go wrong? Nothing. Except for one scen
Mary S. R.
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Slytherins seeking a hilarious, fun romance
Recommended to Mary by: MischaS_
(4.5 ★’s)

The poets can say whatever they damned like. A woman’s worth is not decided by what’s between her legs but by what is in her mind.

First and foremost, I would like to address the people who say “this isn’t dark enough to be Slytherin” and if you’re one of them, I want to tell you—quite politely of course—to shut up. I’m not even sorry because that is the very point of this book: being Slytherin does not mean being a pure-evil, mustache-twirling doll. Being Slytherin means being ambit
Amy (libraryofamy)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
“They've never found the body of the first and only boy who broke my heart. And they never will.”

Spoiler alert: they did, actually, and it didn't matter. Because nothing in this book makes any sense.

This was so predictable and very disappointing. I’m not sure if I’m outgrowing YA or if I’m just picking up shitty YA books. Either way, I didn’t enjoy The Shadows Between Us at all. It felt extremely formulaic, severely underdeveloped, and wholly uninspiring. I was so bored.

The Shadows Between U
She-who-must-not-be-named
If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. Brimming with betrayal, romance and conspiracy, my love for this book is more than what I can put into comprehensible words.
megs_bookrack
Mar 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Step 1: Woo the king.
Step 2: Marry the king.
Step 3: Kill the king and take his kingdom.

How very Evil Queen of you...

I'm always down for that!

✨ A ✨
Allesandra will not settle for marrying a Lord or Duke. She has eyes for only one man, The Shadow King himself.

It's not really the Shadow King she wants but his kingdom and to be able to rule from his throne.

But first she needs to woo the King, which is made difficult by the fact that no one is allowed to touch him. And protect him from his enemies who threaten his life and intend to take his, soon to be her, kingdom.

The first 20 % of this book was excellent and I was so absorbed and wanting t
High Lady of The Night Court
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
The perfect couple, matched in viciousness and skill. The perfect story.

“Alessandra Stathos, that’s positively despicable.” He says the words like they’re the highest compliment he can give me. “You are an absolute gem, do you know that?"

This book really showed me just how much our first impression of anyone influences how we react to their actions in any given situation. Alessandra, introduced as a vicious, scheming woman with no loyalties, but, honestly, captivating in her intelligence, h
chan ☆
Dec 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020, ya-fantasy
beyond the sex positivity & surface level female empowerment this was just... meh. i mean don't get me wrong i appreciated the aforementioned feminism but this story was just. odd.

i get that it was trying to be a standalone fantasy but it seemed like there was so much here that wasn't explored. i mean the man is called the Shadow King and yet we never get more than a passing understanding of what that means. and the plot was... um. lacking. i dunno i felt uneasy the whole time while reading this
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

3) Kill him and take his kingdom for herself.

This gave me all the Cruel Beauty-vibes I've been craving and my favourite 2020 release thus far. I nearly read this WHOLE THING in one sitting with a grin on my face. It was SO GOOD. Morally grey characters who are so unapologetically bad...and I loved it.

Do yourselves a favour and pick it up when it releases in February. This i
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I am...so sad. Marketed as a Slytherin romance with a leading lady who is unapologetically cunning, I was all for this book. It was one of my anticipated releases, but it ultimately just fell short for me.

First thing I noted was the simplicity of the writing. Not every book has to be elaborately written, but when the plot is quite literally being laid out on a plate in front of you with zero room for doubt or interpretation, there's no space left for guessing or intrigue. You're just told everyt
;3
Mar 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
the lack of flavour in this book is truly a disgrace. 13 yr old me from wattpad could write a better villain x villain romance
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I wasn’t sure at first, but it won me over. Beautiful purple edition from FairyLoot with a picture under the dust jacket.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
• Lindsey Dahling •
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We need more Slytherin narrators in the world.

I’ve always found myself drawn to characters with Slytherin traits. They’re much more interesting than your purely good characters (sorry, Jon Snow). This book’s narrator, Alessandra, is a rare one. Legitimately. I’ve NEVER seen a narrator like this who wasn’t the villain.
She’s confident.
She’s unapologetic.
She’s cunning.
She’s observant.
She’s direct.

I didn’t spend one second of this book internally screaming, “COME ON. JUST ASK HIM WHAT HE REALL
Mara YA Mood Reader
4/30/2020

3.5 stars Perfect for those new to fantasy and wanting to enter into the genre. And also great for the avid fantasy reader who, like me, often needs a break from investing into heavy, 600 page minimum, 4-8 installment high fantasy series.

The Shadows Between Us is called a ”Slytherin Romance” by the author herself and that enough is exactly what any of us Harry Potter fans want. Especially those in House Slytherin, and those who have spent countless hours reading very naughty Draco,
Joshita ❤
2.75★

I wanna say that this is between I liked it and it was okay. I was disappointed and here is why,
“Who in the world would steal and then not keep the riches for themselves? That’s just bad business.”

This book is so fucking hyped, so I had high hopes but hopes can be crushed my friend...the world is a cruel little big bitch.

♣Let's start on a positive note and talk about things that I did like.

For instance, the starting of the book...phenomenal! Such a solid start! And when a book has th
Andrea Ashwood
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books, favorites
[English Review - Reseña en Español]

|English|
description
“The point is, Father, I know what I’m doing. And I’m going to keep doing whatever I wish, because I am the master of myself. And you? You’re going to send me to the palace with the next wave of women to see the king, because if there’s anything I’m good at, it’s getting men to propose to me.”
Father’s eyes narrow. “How long have you been planning this?”
“Years.”
(You will find my synopsis below)
This is one of those stories that you know won't forget in
Bibi
Jun 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a profoundly silly story. The best part was chapter one, after that, it was all downhill.
Ida
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 starts, and I feel so conflicted!
After much consideration, I feel the book is closer to three stars than four.

description

Normally I like the fact that Tricia Levenseller's books are quite short (330 ish pages), because to me it means that no matter how stressful my life is at the time of starting the book, I will still be able to finish it in a reasonable amount of time. The problems with reading short books, and standalone novels, is that I always end up wanting more. More world-building. More ba
Grace
Just based on the blurb, I was feeling some Rhysand vibes and was pretty excited from that alone. Oh, how wrong I was. Kallias wasn’t completely disappointing, but he was far more Kaz Brekker than Rhysand. Still, I’m not convinced he was as good as either.

Actual Rating: 2.5

This is described as a slytherin romance, which I was hoping would make my slytherin heart happy. Alas, I didn’t particularly like Alessandra or Kallias. I suppose this is because we have different goals in life and thus a di
myo (myonna reads)
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
this was so bad lmfaoooo i feel like the main character was a walmart jude duarte, she was very much a try hard badass. for example in the very first chapter it is explained that she killed her ex boyfriend, i was very much unamused because we didn’t actually get to see her do it so it’s just like okay cool? idk i just didn’t care.. very sad because the cover is so beautiful:(
Hillary
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy

There’s something about watching him give orders that has my blood flowing faster in my veins. He has such power. Men are forced to obey him without a word of protest. They would do anything he commanded.
I want that power.

It’s the worst when the first half of a book gives you a lot of expectations for what is currently happening and what’s to come, and then those expectations aren’t met, so you feel like you’ve been scammed a little.

I’m not saying I didn’t have fun reading this book
Kerri
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Official review to come, but i LOVED this!
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They never found the body of the first and only boy who broke my heart.
And they never will.

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
In life we learn a lot of lessons.
We learn that life isn’t always fair.
Never perfect.
Life isn’t easy either, no one will give you anything for free.
You have to work for it.
And when Alessandra gave her heart to a boy, she wanted to have his heart back.
But instead, he broke it. He tore it apart.
So she killed him.
With her broken heart she swore to herself to never love again.
She swore to t
Mrinmayi
Few chapters in and already hate this book 😒
I went into this with high expectations
I loved this author's other books but sadly this book was not for me😔

So... our protagonist was supposed to be a Slytherin 🐍
I am a huge fan of Slytherin protagonist

While reading a book sorting the characters into Hogwarts houses is something l enjoy
But l never felt that the MC was a Slytherin 🤨
Where is the Slytherin banter ???
Slytherin's sarcastic sense of humor?!!
Resourcefulness ??

We are supposed to believe the
Kiki
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Wasn't I supposed to write this review weeks ago? Better late than never, I suppose.

I actually enjoyed this book, but not because I think it added anything, or because it meant anything to me. It was just fun. Once again, I listened to this as an audiobook, which was probably a smart choice, since I know if I were reading a physical copy I would have DNFed this after the sixteenth time Alessandra describes her lavish clothing or harrumphs about the king (and his fuckboy haircut too) not turning
Bookworm Baddies: February BOTM 1 15 Jan 23, 2021 02:40AM
FLASHLIGHT READERS: The Shadows Between Us 2 11 Oct 14, 2020 06:51AM
One N' Done Book ...: August 2020 BOTM - The Shadows Between Us 8 25 Aug 19, 2020 07:42PM
FLASHLIGHT READERS: August 2020: Lisa and Alex- The Shadows between us 1 7 Jul 31, 2020 09:18AM

• Oasis
  • Docile
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • A Thousand Fires
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Jane Anonymous
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns, #4)
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • Refraction
  • Resurrection Girls
Initially from a small town in Oregon, Tricia now lives next to the Rocky Mountains with her bossy dog, Rosy. She received her degree in English Language and editing and is thrilled that she never has to read a textbook again. When she’s not writing or reading, Tricia enjoys putting together jigsaw puzzles, playing volleyball, playing OVERWATCH, and watching shows while eating extra-buttered popco ...more

Articles featuring this book

When you work at Goodreads, it's pretty tough to keep that Want to Read shelf under control. (And let's be honest, most of us don't even...
“Waiting. Not waiting. One lover. A hundred lovers. There should be no judgement either way. A woman is not defined by what she does or doesn‘t do in the bedroom.” 90 likes
“I think that when you care enough for someone, you reach a point where it's far more painful not to have him at all than to have him and risk losing him. You realize the risk is worth it. Because happiness, however short-lived, is always worth it.” 73 likes