Start by marking “Best Short Stories of Anton Chekov” as Want to Read:
Best Short Stories of Anton Chekov

Best Short Stories of Anton Chekov

Considered by many as the greatest short story writer the world has seen, Anton Chekhov changed the genre itself with his spare, impressionistic depictions of Russian life and the human condition.

From characteristically brief, evocative early pieces such as The Huntsman and his masterpiece A Bet to his best-known stories such as The Lady with the Little Toy Dog and The
Published May 20th 2016 by Jaico Publishing House (first published 1983)

Start your review of Best Short Stories of Anton Chekov
Afreen Khalid
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Russian authors Anton Chekhov is no exception. To be a good writer, one must understand the human condition, and Chekhov recognizes all its subtleties and absurdities. He describes his work as follows: All I wanted was to say honestly to people: "Have a look at yourselves and see how bad and dreary your lives are!

Chekhovs stories say it like it is: The world is often unjust, cruel, tragic and indifferent. But rather than making us depressed, this teaches us some valuable, comforting
Milo
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who appreciate the intricacies of the written word
Chekhov was a revolutionary in the way short stories are written and he was one of the first to concentrate on a characters journey and not on his goal. The point of a typical Chekhov story is most often what happens within a given character, and that is conveyed indirectly, by suggestion or by significant detail. Chekhov eschews the traditional build-up of chronological detail, instead emphasizing moments of epiphanies and illumination over a significantly shorter period of time. As such, his ...more
Readers Bay
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
I bless the day I changed my major to literature and was introduced to this one hell of an amazing writer!!! Recommended to everyone!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I love Chekhov.

We never read Chekhov in high school. Or college. Why? Why did no teacher share the wonder that is Chekhov with me?

This is a short collection of stories, seven of them, read by Stephen Fry, and it includes An Avenger, A Blunder, Boys, The Huntsman, The Lady with the Dog, Misery, and Oysters. Chekhov starts right in with the action, with characters in trouble; all the extraneous material has been sliced away, leaving only the important. The stories are as mesmerizing as any I've
Zoe's Human
This is my least favorite Chekhov collection. The translation doesn't really work for me. It lacks the elegant yet comfortable nature of others. It is, however, still Chekhov, so even a lesser book of his is still a decent book.
Steven Siswandhi
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
Some of the best short stories I've ever read, I'll give this a 6-star if I could. Comprises snapshots of russian rural life in the 19th century, poignant and full of humanity, yet so concise that you always lament that the stories end the way they do and crave for more. Not as spiritual and profound as Dostoyevsky's and Tolstoy's finest creations, but remarkable in its plot twists and mastery of human nature.
BarbaraW
If this is the best if his writing I would hate to spend time on the worst. Ok. Lot of gloom, darkness of spirit and death. Not a page turner and I had high expectations but there you go.
Raunak Milton
I always wanted to read more of Anton chekov due to the story I had read called the bet , in my school... So I got this chance to read and most of the stories are tragic and nihilistic. But there are certain favourites of mine, such as the happy man and the orator which I really enjoyed because of their satire.
Medha
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars actually.

This is a very unique collection of short stories because Anton Chekhov does not follow the conventional idea of a story. There isn't usually a plot to speak of or a twist at the end. What makes these stories interesting is how they portray the human predicament. Taking ordinary situations such as meeting a childhood friend or an ex-husband, a woman reminiscing about the days of her youth or an old man taking a walk through the country with two orphans, he describes them with
Matt Lanka
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Chekhov's writing (or perhaps just this translation of him) more accessible and readable than what little Dostoevsky and Tolstoy I have tried to read. Chekhov is most at home when describing or analyzing the feelings of his characters, their motivations, or their internal reactions to the people and events in their lives. His ability to reveal raw emotion without making it seem contrived or exaggerated is brilliant, and makes for engaging reading despite each story progressing rather slow ...more
Arun Sankar
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chekov's command over the genre of short fiction is evident through the entirety of the collection. From the lady with a little dog to a country cottage, each of the stories were truthful depictions of Russian life and its characteristic traits. At the end of the collection, I couldn't stop wondering how beautifully well had he portrayed a vivid image of Russian characters through his words. Anton Chekov is irrefutably one of the best short story writers ever lived on this planet.
Kelsey Ellis
I read "The Lady and the Dog", "Rothschild's Fiddle", and "The Fiance" for my Russian Literature class. While of course I still have all the rest of Chekov's short stories to read I am marking this as read. :) Stone me later.
wirrow wirrow
my first brush with Chekov and I mostly just can't believe how funny he is
Mohib
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved most of the stories, but some more than others. I like the subtle humor.
Tejas
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Some stories had a haunting quality to them, that you will not forget once you have read them. Most of them were melancholic with hopeless situations that the common people are placed in.

The Duel was a fascinating story though and a look at infidelity, loyalty , friendship all encompassing. It was a brilliant story and left me with a positive feeling in the end.

Other stories leave you with a feeling of hopelessness in the face of adversity and that is kind of mood Chekov works on.

Overall it
Prateek Kouloorkar
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read but not really mesmerizing

I gave 3 stars because of the time it took me to indulge in the stories and to get acquainted with chekov's writing as it never was a problem with other writers.
I would recommend it to anyone who is starting now to read,I Believe I felt this as a lesser book because I am also reading the idiot by Dostoevsky which is a bit more satisfying than this or my preferences about short stories as I have not read many of these.

All in all,it's not repulsive and makes
Rohat Kharvari
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I picked up this book, I had no idea who Anton Chekhov was, I had picked the book from a friends coffee table. Every story I read I was transported in the story, I saw myself witnessing the stories.

If you like breathing, you will love his stories
Jitendra Singh
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not for everyone

Only liked four or five stories. Rest... Maybe I didn't understand. Requires a lot of patience to go through some of the stories.
Santosh
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Works of brilliance by the Russian. Beautiful stories.
Marlo Glodoviza
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: noteworthy
A beautiful illustration of all-consuming thoughts and feelings.
Vijay
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-on
Good collection of short stories!
Sahib Khan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best short stories writers ever.
Georgette
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Too short, as promised. But I enjoyed the stories
Deepa Nair
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These are not stories.
They are lives flowing from Chekov's pen.
So many lives in the most simple language by a noble soul.
Ben Tipper
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get through much of this at all. The description attached to this book sets you up for writing that is truly magical. But then you get a couple of pages of antiquated jokes and characters and that is supposed to be the "story". Some of the stories get longer further in, but I didn't make it that far.
Simon
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ward No. 6
Shishir
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written excellent piece of writing, deep understanding of the human condition, set in Russian history.
Primoz
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant, innovative, superbly crafted, realistic. One of my favourite short story writers who is simply great at capturing little vignettes of the lives of people.
Juliekjewell
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book for both children and adults about 3 trees and their dreams for the future. Although they don't become what they want to be at maturity, something even greater awaits them.
Rick
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ward No. 6" wins my Most Depressing Short Story of All Time award.

• The Greatest Short Stories of Leo Tolstoy
  • Thanjavur
  • Selected Stories
  • Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat
  • The Necklace and Other Stories: Maupassant for Modern Times
  • The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity
  • Selected Short Stories
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • A GATHERING OF FRIENDS:
  • Entropy - God's Dice Game
  • Христо Ботев: стихотворения
  • Поезия
  • The Diamond as Big as the Ritz, and Other Stories
  • Dare to Dream: Life as One Direction (100% Official)
  • Astrology For Dummies
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (Russian: Антон Павлович Чехов ) was born in the small seaport of Taganrog, southern Russia, the son of a grocer. Chekhov's grandfather was a serf, who had bought his own freedom and that of his three sons in 1841. He also taught himself to read and write. Yevgenia Morozova, Chekhov's mother, was the daughter of a cloth merchant.
"When I think back on my childhood," Chekhov

News & Interviews

“Money, like vodka, makes a man queer” 3 likes
“judges, police officers, doctors—in course of time, through habit, grow so callous that they cannot, even if they wish it, take any but a formal attitude to their clients; in this respect they are not different from the peasant who slaughters sheep and calves in the back-yard, and does not notice the blood.” 0 likes