Start by marking “My Side of the Diamond” as Want to Read:

My Side of the Diamond

An extraordinary tale about the search for love from the acclaimed Costa and Carnegie winning novelist Sally Gardner.

Jazmin has been shunned ever since her best friend Becky disappeared. But Becky didn't just disappear - she jumped off a tall building and seemingly never reached the ground. It was as if she simply vanished into thin air. Did Jazmin have something to do wit
Unknown Binding, 240 pages
Published October 5th 2017 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about My Side of the Diamond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Side of the Diamond

Miriam Smith
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"My Side of The Diamond" is going to be one of those books that will either be loved or hated.......and I'm happy to say I loved it!!
First of all, I must say how beautifully designed and printed this book is. Produced to resemble a moleskin notebook, just like the notebook Becky one of the characters writes in and with some lovely appropriate and detailed sketched pictures throughout, this book is definitely one to keep on your bookshelves.
Jazmin has been shunned ever since her best friend Beck
Atlas
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-s
"That illustrates the mother theory perfectly," said Becky. "She is just another loser exiled from the couple kingdom. Watch how fast your paper house burns down, Mrs Burns"

* *
2 / 5

I’m not really an alien book person. This is perhaps a peculiar quirk in my reading tastes: I love YA, I love sci-fi, and I love fantasy. I love books set on other worlds, around other cultures, that feature new, imaginative, and fascinating ways of existence and belief. So I like aliens. But I do not like books abo
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)

The Positive: the physical format of this book is really unusual, which greatly influenced me when I picked it up - it looks and feels rather like a notebook, which is a really ingenuous and inventive idea!

The Negative: Sally Gardner's books have been a bit hit-and-miss with me. I like some, and I dislike others. 'My Side of the Diamond' was interesting because it had an unusual idea behind it, but I didn't necessarily feel it resonated with me and on the whole it isn't something I'd
Vicky
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
If you like aliens, this is for you. To my knowledge, this is the first time that prize-winning (and excellent) author Sally Gardner has tackled the sci-fi genre, and she approaches it from a bizarre angle that does take some time to get used to. Also, the first ten or so pages were filled with random squares that had me seriously worried that my Kindle had gone into meltdown.
It hadn’t. The significance of the notepaper kind of becomes apparent later on.
The book itself takes the form of a series
Isabelle
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc
it wasn't bad, not at all. most of it just confused the hell out of me. i'm still thinking 'what the hell did i just read?!'
Alison
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is possibly one of the most bizarre and down right weird books I think I've ever come across and while that might put a lot of people off it's actually the thing I loved the most about it. It took me a little while to figure out what the heck was going on but once I did I found it fascinating.

Where it went wrong for me was the form the story took. Rather than being in the moment it's told through a series of interviews with the various characters involved in the events. This might have bee
Rachel
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
By rachyrachyroo
Firstly I have to say I love the book cover with its notebook look. It feels like I'm about to read something really special!

The book starts with Jazmin telling a man called Mr Jones about her friend Becky, who apparently jumped to her death. Mr Jones then goes on to interview several other people involved.

Overall I enjoyed the book and I liked the storyline, but I did feel that there was something missing. The book is about love but I felt this could have been shown more. e.g.
Katy Noyes
Hard to define, it's sci-fi, romance, mystery

Very different to Gardner's previous work, though I suppose there are some similarities to Maggot Moon. This will not appeal widely, being confusing at times - I spent a lot of the time reading it wondering where the author was taking me.

Told via several narrators, we build up a picture of a past disappearance, but the fantastical elements mean we are not sure if it was a death, a murder or just someone vanishing into thin air. Jazmin misses her best
Georgi
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got an arc of this a couple months ago, and this was such a quick and easy read, I flew through it, it was exciting and intriguing, I throughly enjoyed it!
Hazel
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
This ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

My Side of the Diamond
is the latest novel by British author Sally Gardner. Employing the use of science fiction, Gardner explores the concept of love in a unique tale of a covered up alien invasion. The main characters are unfortunately caught up in the drama; however, no one will ever believe their story.

Jazmin Little’s best friend, Becky, has disappeared. Some say she was murdered, others claim she committed
Stef White
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I recieved this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

This book just wasnt for me.
I will say that it was very well thought out and fantastically written. It had a very interesting writing style and I didnt know where the story was going for a long time.
But I'm not normally a lover of Alien books and this one sadly was no exception.
I did think the switch from characters could have been smoother but we still knew who was who.
Overall a very interesting read but just not my style.
Beck Fraser
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
My Side of the Diamond is a story told from different narratives that build together to form a science fiction story all about love. The book illustrates all types of love, from maternal, paternal and love of a best friend and soul mate.
Jazmin's best friend Becky has jumped off the Shard and never hit the ground. Jazmin has taken the blame for this and tells her story to Mr Jones. However things are not always that straight forward. The story reveals UFO landings, transformation stones that bri
Christina Reid
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
2.5 stars.
Very clever but ultimately quite an incoherent read.
The book is presented beautifully and I love other books by this author, so I was quick to pick this up when I saw it in my local library. I had no idea what to expect going in, but I was hoping for magical realism. Instead, it was an original, yet bizarre mix of science fiction and contemporary YA.

What I liked: presentation, Jaz's character and the realistic portrayal of friendship, unique ideas, they way lots of seemingly unrelat
Alyson Rhodes
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quirky, touching, genre crossing, funny, heart breaking with an ending that surprises but is entirely story appropriate. This latest novel for young adults by Sally Gardner,' My Side of the Diamond' from Hot Key, is hard to categorise. It is a love story, a thriller, a diary of self discovery, with some sci fi thrown in. It takes you by surprise but holds your attention. It is a tribute to Gardner's great writing talents that the bits that at first might seem unbelievable are so skilfully woven ...more
Sharon
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
While the concept of this novel is wonderfully creative, I felt it was not especially well fleshed out. The romantic relationships begin so suddenly and have no depth, while the multiple narrative voices are stilted and inauthentic. I don't read a lot of YA, so my expectations may have been too high, but the best thing I can say is that it was compelling. Thanks to Goodreads for the advanced copy.
Karen Barber
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this up as it’s on the 2019 Carnegie Longlist. It features aliens and mysterious events so isn’t typically the kind of book I’d go for.
Jazmine is trying to come to terms with the disappearance of her best friend, Becky. There’s no trace of her, but we learn she jumped off a tower and disappeared.
We dip into the past and present to try to learn the circumstances of what’s going on. We’re introduced to the friends, learn about their relationships and their keen interest in two other chara
Vanessa
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Many thanks to Tina from Bonnier Zaffre who sent me an ARC copy of this book!

My Side of the Diamond is presented from the point of view of several characters who provide their own take of Becky's disappearance and each narrative points, one way or another, that Jazmine should be to blame for it. In fact, the premise itself makes it seem as if Jazmine is a character you cannot trust, an unreliable narrator except by the end of the book, it feels as if that idea simply can't work anymore. Graduall
Annie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating - 4.5/5 stars. This was an intriguing story that I flew through.. What I felt started off as a crime, thriller, mystery - turned out to be something completely different!!! It had a futuristic Frankenstien vibe to this story. The characters' voices were projected quite well throughout the story - even if some of the dialogue got a little annoying, I still found myself turning the page wanting to know what happens next and where all of this "mess" was coming from. I can definitely s ...more
Sasha
(Proof received for free, this does not affect my opinion.) I delved into this book without reading the short description so I had no idea what I was getting into. Let me start by saying this: this is one weird little book. When I finished it, I honestly didn’t know if I adored or hated the story and I have honestly NEVER felt this way. I had the most the-fuck-did-I-just-read feeling, but somehow in the best way possible? The mystery is written in a very compelling way and I couldn’t put it down ...more
Jasmine ✨
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It started a bit slow but soon picked up. I've never read a book like this, it was interesting. I found the book enjoyable and had me guessing. The ending was unexpected, but I think it was the perfect way to end the book.
Rebecca Armstrong
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
My Side of the Diamond follows Jazmin as she reiterates the story of how her best friend Becky died. She didn't just die though, she vanished. Just like magic, as Becky jumped from St Pauls Cathedral but her body never hit the ground. The same thing happened years earlier to Skye and Lazarus, but nothing was ever solved.

I went into this book knowing nothing as my ARC copy didn't have a synopsis and I accidentally sent the publishers note back to my mums house inside the other book I received.
Marjorie
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
My Side Of The Diamond is a tightly written YA Science Fiction tale of love, loss and potentially redemption.

Skye and Lazarus have already jumped, or maybe they were pushed nobody is quite sure, from St. Paul's Cathedral and Icarus was there. He didn't just bear witness, some people felt sure he was instrumental in them jumping. Nobody can say they died because no bodies were ever found but that didn't stop Icarus being prosecuted and imprisoned.

Now Becky has gone missing and it seems that she
Lisa Bentley
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
My Side of the Diamond by Sally Gardner is a very curious tale that had me reading way outside of my comfort zone. It is part YA which I love, part thriller and mystery which I am lukewarm to and part science fiction which is so not my genre.

However, Sally Gardner has created a really compelling story and full bodied cast that I found myself unable to put the damn book down! The story is told from multi-perspective which lends the book an air of displacement and discomfort. I did not feel comfor
Rosina
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs, sci-fi
I received a free copy of this book through ReadersFirst in return for an honest review.

Well that was weird.

My Side of the Diamond is a YA book about a girl called Jazmin whose best friend walked off a tower with a boy called Icarus but whose body was never found. It's an intriguing premise and the first few chapters made me curious but it just got so weird.

In a way the writing kind of reminded me of Jacqueline Wilson but with aliens and secret organisations. Serious issues were tackled like dea
buzylizzie
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I had high hopes at the start of this book, having been drawn in by the spiky narration of Jazmin Little, one of the characters who relates this YA fantasy.
However I felt the story was a mix of elements of various other sci fi tales (perhaps a little like the best seller described in the course of the book) and that the way that developments were foreshadowed by cryptic utterances removed any feeling of suspense.
The style of the book left me feeling disconnected and I found it difficult to care
Gemma McGee
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I received My Side of the Diamond in my last months Book Box club subscription box, this was an extra book to celebrate their 1st Anniversary.

My Side of the Diamond is about a girl called Jazmin, who has been shunned since her best friend Becky disappeared. She jumped off a tall building, and never reaching the ground. Did Jazmin have anything to do with Becky disappearance, or did it have to do with the mysteries, forever youthful and beguiling Icarus. A man who Becky becomes besotted just bef
Gail
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Side of the Diamond, what an unexpected book.
When I received the book I was simply overjoyed at the cover and elastic binding, and was especially pleased with the cover being hard back. It really gave the whole book the feeling of a diary or journal and that in opening and reading it you were being allowed a glimpse of something private, secret and very personal.
This feeling was reinforced when I began reading as it is written as a recount of events from different people. The characters are c
Nicole
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so weird. I don't really know what else to say, really. Despite the quote on the front of the book, 'they came to Earth to find love', I didn't really pick up on the whole alien thing until I started reading, and it was peculiar, to say the least. The story was good; it was fast-paced and interesting. I liked that it was written from the perspective of lots of different characters as if they were being interviewed, as this meant that you got the details slowly, not all thrown at yo ...more
Kate
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc, oct-2017
This is one of those strange books, that although I read it in one sitting and was hooked from start-to-finish, I didn't finish it thinking 'That was an amazing novel!'

Maybe it's because I found the ending obvious and I was frustrated by my review copies poor formatting (the names of the characters being interviewed were jumbled, and it took a few goes to guess who was the subject) that it didn't have the wow factor for me. Characterisation was strong with some (Alex and Jaz especially) but felt
Sabrina
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktails
This book took me a little while to get into but then I really enjoyed reading the story from different points of view. Jazmin is the main character and is being interviewed by a somewhat mysterious man. Almost nothing is revealed about him until the end. He goes on to interview other people too and between them you get a picture of aliens, friendship, love, hardship and truth.
Jazmin has been through a lot after her best friend, Becky, disappears. She is torn apart by the courts trying to find o

• Flying Tips for Flightless Birds
  • Dark Satanic Mills
  • Lost on Mars
  • The Survival Game
  • We See Everything
  • Bracelet of Bones (Viking Sagas #1)
  • SweetFreak
  • The Beginning Woods
  • Prisoner of the Inquisition
  • The Red Ribbon
  • Finding Jennifer Jones (Jennifer Jones, #2)
  • Skeleton Tree
  • The Colour of the Sun
  • Mister Creecher
  • Kick
  • Fearless: The Making of Post-Rock
  • Abhuman: Resistance
  • The Tale of Senyor Rodriguez
Sally Gardner grew up and still lives in London. Being dyslexic, she did not learn to read or write until she was fourteen and had been thrown out of several schools, labeled unteachable, and sent to a school for maladjusted children. Despite this, she gained a degree with highest honors at a leading London art college, followed by a scholarship to a theater school, and then went on to become a ve ...more
“This emotion called love. It is wrapped up in time, measured by years. The more I see of humans the more complicated love becomes. It is not an exchange of goods. It has no price. it is not a simple connection to other beings. Love is much deeper, its tendrils reach into the bad and the good in humans. I don't believe we should give up on this project. I cannot return until I learn how to love.” 1 likes