Start by marking “In The Shadows (D.I. Denis Hamilton, #1)” as Want to Read:
In The Shadows (D.I. Denis Hamilton, #1)

In The Shadows

(D.I. Denis Hamilton #1)

A fast-paced and totally gripping crime thriller

Detective Inspector Denis Hamilton is tasked with apprehending a brutal murderer stalking the streets of London—and leaving not a shred of DNA evidence.

As the suspect list mounts, his frustration and pressure from his superiors intensify. Grace Murphy, who is dealing with the recent loss of her beloved grandfather, falls

Published July 16th 2017 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about In The Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Shadows

Start your review of In The Shadows (D.I. Denis Hamilton, #1)
Sue
IN THE SHADOWS by Tara Lyons is her debut novel and is a must read for all crime, psychological thriller fans. This book came highly recommended by Goodreads author Mark Tilbury, and must say that I immediately downloaded the book, and started to read…and what I uncovered was a brilliant gripping tense terrifying read. I loved it! Thank you so much Mark for reviewing this novel and putting it out in the forefront.

I love reading psychological crime thrillers…the hunt and mind set of the serial
Miriam Smith
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed, kept-book
Tara Lyons is a well respected author in the literary circuit and I can certainly see why.
Her debut book "In The Shadows" came highly recommended to me by many and it really is a cracking tense and gripping thriller. I wish I had read this sooner as I've had it on my bookshelves for a while and always been drawn by the fabulous hair-raising cover.
Young women are being murdered by a serial killer lurking 'in the shadows' and I really enjoyed the involvement of the theatre as part of the plot
Jules
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the Shadows (apart from reminding me of one of my all-time favourite songs, In the Shadows, by The Rasmus) is a great psychological crime thriller featuring a ruthless serial killer. Pick up this book when you have plenty of time to read, as you won’t want to put this one down.

As someone who is not a huge fan of crime and police procedural novels, I’m pleased to report that this book doesn’t focus too heavily on the police procedural aspect, but focusses more on the characters and in some
Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡
**** 4 "Lonely" Stars ****

photo GRACE_zpsxfzzt0vp.jpg

There is a serial killer loose on the streets of London and young, beautiful women are not safe.
Grace Murphy is not only dealing with the grief of losing her grandfather, but she is also dealing with horrible nightmares of blood and death. She has no idea why she is experiencing these. Her only conclusion is she must be close to the killer and she might be next.

Grace works hard each day to put her anxiety behind her but when the work day is done, alcohol is the
Shell Baker
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Shadows is Tara Lyons debut novel and OMG what a debut novel it is. I absolutely loved it. Firstly I have to say what a cover this has read me written all over it. Having a copy sitting on my kindle it was just calling me to reach out and read it. And the story is just as good as the cover seriously I couldn't put this down. After starting it before I went to bed and having a late night, I ended up devouring it more or less has soon has I got up.

The story starts off with one hell of a
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
In The Shadows is Tara’s solo debut novel so I was super excited to read it. I had read and enjoyed Web Of Deceit, which was co-written with Mel Comley so I was happy to read Tara's first novel.
In The Shadows is a really well written book. The prologue grips you immediately as you meet the killer and get a glimpse into their twisted mind as they commit a murder.
We are introduced to the main character, Grace, who is mourning the loss of her grandfather and struggling to hold herself together
Mark Tilbury
I've had this book on my kindle for a long time and I wish I had read it sooner. This is a very accomplished novel for a debut and I'm looking forward to reading the next DI Hamilton case (which is being published soon.) I thought the plot was well constructed and the ending very clever. Like some other readers suggested, I re-read the prologue after finishing the novel and it bought a whole new meaning to both the title and the cover.
An excellent novel, highly recommended.
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In The Shadows is an extremely dark and chilling read. Young women being brutally murdered certainly makes for an uncomfortable reading experience.

Grace is quite a complex character. She has suffered a big loss in her life with the recent death of her much loved grandfather. She certainly seems to be taking his death very hard indeed even turning to drink to try and ease the turmoil she seems to be in.

As a mother, I had every sympathy with Graces mum. She to, is trying to cope with the loss of
Tammy
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 3-star-okay
I am the odd one out on this one. I didn't love it. I got to 50% and it still didn't grab me but I was that far into it that I finished but I figured it out about 30% in. I am glad everyone loved it but just wasn't a favorite for me.
Alan Cotterell
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Loved this

Having read book 3 first I was looking forward to reading the first book. Ms Lyons, has a brilliant new series to develop. Looking forward to reading the second one now, and hopefully the fourth soon.
Andrea
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Was disappointed with this book the cover grabs you and made want to read it,It's starts off well till it got to the murders wasn't alot mentioned about the victims couldn't engage with DI hamilton.but did like grace story loss of her grandfather her nightmares,which he got help for and he ending was perdicable for me could of been a great book but lacking in alot of parts of this book would give it 3.5* rating.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
A serial killer is roaming the streets of London, and Grace Murphy is worried she might be the next target. Not only are her friends showing up among the dead bodies, she's having violent nightmares about murders, and wonders if they play a role in discovering the killer. DI Denis Hamilton and his team are on the case and are working hard to find the killer before they can strike again.

In the Shadows is told from three points of view - Grace's, DI Hamilton's, and the killer's. After the recent
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
Discovering emerging, new, talented authors and their books is one of the things I love most. And so when I was lucky enough to be offered an early advanced review copy of this book, I jumped at the opportunity.

How would you feel or what would pass through your head, if your friends start being murdered one by one? You'd be terrorised, thinking that you're probably next on the list, no? This is what Grace Murphy is faced with in Tara Lyons' debut novel 'In the Shadows'.

Grace's loving
Claire
What a brilliant prologue to kick off In The Shadows - a very self assured individual burying a woman never to be found! Who is this confident killer? Overconfidence tells me they'll be caught! And the suspense didn't stop after the first chapter. As the bodies drop, I just wanted to keep going to find out who would be next and the big questions of who and why!! I'm just sorry that real life got in the way of my reading time!

A stunning solo debut from Tara Lyons! Tara's writing sent me up
Noelle
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

First and foremost, I have to say that for a debut novel ~ this book kicked ass! I was nervous and excited at the prospect of reading this book because I had become friends, through THE Book Club, with the author prior to knowing she was…well….going to be an author! EEEEEEEEK!!

I was over the moon when Tara contacted me and asked if I would beta read this book -My answer: Hell yeah! I was even more excited to find my
The Book Review Café
First published on http://thebookreviewcafe.com

In The Shadows is an excellent debut from the very talented Tara Lyons, I knew from the prologue where the killer describes the first killing this would be my kind of book. There is a brutal murderer stalking the streets of London, and whoever is committing the murders leaves no clues or DNA evidence, So it’s up to Detective Inspector Denis Hamilton and his team to unravel the clues and catch a killer. Grace is dealing with the loss of her beloved
Kelly Furniss
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to TBC and the author of this book who gave me a copy in return for an honest review.
Psychological crime is my favourite genre and this book covers the psychological aspect perfect but scarily as we see in to the mind of a serial killer as they leave a trail of bodies gaining in confidence with each murder through London City.
Along the way we meet a range of characters such as the Met detective team frustrated to the core with no DNA evidence to go on and no witnesses. And Grace a
Caroline
This story was an absolutely solid 3 stars for me, but it didn't wow me.

The story-line was really good and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened, but I didn't enjoy the style of writing. I found it was the kind of book where the story and what happened were what kept me going rather than the descriptions and the writing being really good.

Whilst this book didn't keep me gripped and didn't have me feeling like I couldn't put it down I would say that it was still a good read overall.
Michelle
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't like to leave negative views but I'm struggling to find anything positive to say. Half way through i realised why I felt like it read this before, the characters are a bit of a rehash from the Lorna Simpkins series. The book to me felt that zero research had been done, predictable and effortless. Not for me im afraid.
Tracy Fenton
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read alot of crime fiction especially police procedural and it seems that every 5 minutes another crime series pops up so I wasn't expecting the lovely surprise that In The Shadows brought, especially as it's a debut novel.

With characters that you can relate to, a well structured plot and obviously researched topics, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and admit to not working out who the Killer was until towards the end.

This is a gripping and well written debut and I will definitely be
David Stimpson
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good start

Well .. That was a Good 1st Book in the DI Hamilton Series ..never saw the Result Coming ..would like to know more about Hamilton and his crew ..But I guess the series will tell me all i need to know ..A Great start Tara
Seramadis
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get this book. It's worth it.

Lots of murders happen and we follow the detectives as they investigate. We also get into the life of the protagonist, a girl who knows all the victims and is scared she will be the next victim. She leads a very active life and knows a lot of people and moves in a lot of circles, the better to set up a long suspect list haha.

So the first part was basically showing us all this, showing the murders, setting things up and introducing us to the detectives in charge of
Joanne Robertson
I saw this book talked about in quite a few different places recently but I wasn't really sure if it would be my cup of tea. Although I had read the authors collaboration with Mel Comley and enjoyed it, I did feel slightly anxious about reading her own debut novel. However, it started to garner plenty of 5* reviews from trusted reviewers and bloggers and following a chance discussion in a Facebook group the author kindly offered me a copy to review. So, of course, I accepted just to see if it ...more
Sue McQuaide Kitt
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic fast paced, page turning, well written, original thriller by new author Tara Lyons.
The bodies of several women have been discovered and investigated by DI Denis Hamilton and his team of detectives, who are baffled by the lack of DNA evidence while more bodies start piling up.
The main storyline centres around Grace Murphy, who is grieving over the loss of her beloved Grandfather and seems to know the victims personally, and is afraid she may be the next body to be found.
Although
Renee
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Excellent debut serial killer thriller. I listened to the audiobook. The narrator spoke clearly and was easy to listen to. I look forward to reading more in the series.
Jackie Roche
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book!
I loved the characters and the fact that one of them was Charlie Fenton. Members of TBC will know what I mean.
This was a great point with plenty of twists and turns.
I will certainly be on the look out for more books by Tara.
Andrea
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever! An easy, enjoyable read.

Many thanks to the author and TBC for supplying me with a copy of the book.
Caroline Vincent
The opening lines of the book sound frightening and thrilling. They give a shocking insight into the mind of a murderer – a serial killer on the loose. When you kill the first time and you are that euphoric, there is no way back, no stopping you from the next murder unless you are caught. Will the police ever catch you when you have worked so meticulously in perfecting your killing strategy?

DI Denis Hamilton and DS Clarke Lewis have no idea that the young woman, whose lifeless body is floating
Anne
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoyed this debut crime/psychological thriller. It's not really right to describe it as a police procedural, although there's plenty of excellent content about how an investigating team set about the hunt for a serial killer. The team itself has immense promise as the focus for more books - just enough detail about their lives and personalities, with much more to be revealed.

The psychological thriller side of it is thoroughly excellent - Grace is central to the story, her grief over
Neats
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I start with my review of In The Shadows? How about the cover? I love it! Don't you think it screams read me?

I've had this little beauty sitting in my own personal TBR pile since it first came out and I haven't had the chance to read it but a couple of days ago I decided that I couldn't resist it any longer, I was going in!

In the prologue we are with the murderer as they bury their victim and this isn't going to be their only murder.

The body count rises and the police are under more and
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Caller (Organised Crime, #1)
  • Robbing the Dead (Inspector Jim Carruthers, #1)
  • Captive (DI Scott Baker #4)
  • Dying Art (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 5)
  • Care To Die (Inspector Jim Carruthers, #2)
  • Game Point (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 4)
  • Ladybird (Detective Jason Smith, #3)
  • A Breach of Trust (DCI John Blizzard, #5)
  • Boomerang: A Detective Jason Smith thriller (Detective Jason Smith #2)
  • Flesh Evidence (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 3)
  • Evil Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #6)
  • Selene (Dectective Jason Smith #6)
  • Untainted Blood ( DI Gus McGuire case Book 3)
  • Expiry Date: a gripping crime thriller (DI Alec McKay Book 4)
  • The Third Breath (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 7)
  • Crossed Out (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 6)
  • Smith: A Detective Jason Smith Thriller (Detective Jason Smith #1)
  • Hell's Gate (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 2)
Tara is a crime/psychological thriller author from London, UK. Turning 30 in 2015 propelled her to fulfil her lifelong dream of becoming a writer.

In the Shadows is the author's solo debut novel published in March 2016. She has also co-written with New York Times bestselling author, M.A Comley - The Caller and Web of Deceit.

Tara Lyons signed a two book deal with Bloodhound Books in August 2016.

D.I. Denis Hamilton (4 books)
  • No Safe Home (D.I. Denis Hamilton, #2)
  • Deadly Friendship (D.I. Denis Hamilton, #3)
  • The Stranger Within (D.I. Denis Hamilton, #4)