Start by marking “The Plastic Magician (The Paper Magician #4)” as Want to Read:
The Plastic Magician (The Paper Magician #4)

The Plastic Magician

(The Paper Magician #4)

Wall Street Journal bestselling author Charlie N. Holmberg returns to the enchanting world of The Paper Magician.

Alvie Brechenmacher has arrived in London to begin her training in Polymaking—the magical discipline of bespelling plastic. Polymaking is the newest form of magic, and in a field where there is so much left to learn, every Polymaker dreams of making the next big
Published May 15th 2018 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Plastic Magician, please sign up.
Charlie Holmberg Yes, there will be an audiobook, which will be available on Audible as well. There's a new narrator for this one--Sarah Zimmerman. :)
Jonny Mullan I would recommend reading the previous trilogy before this, but you do not have to. It will make complete sense without having read them. The original…moreI would recommend reading the previous trilogy before this, but you do not have to. It will make complete sense without having read them. The original characters make a small cameo in this book however.(less)

BAM The Bibliomaniac
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Netgalley #65

Many thanks go Charlie Holmberg, 47North, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.
I’m was so excited to see the Magician series was given new life! Such a great series, but I kinda love magic. But now we have new categories to manipulate, which just gives those sneaky, manipulative mages new ways to break the law. Our new heroine is adorable and brilliant and American! YAY! I just adore how dorky and intelligent she is (and she still gets a sm
Stacee
I had really enjoyed the Paper Magician series, so I was pretty excited to see there was a spin off.

I liked Alvie well enough. She’s super smart and passionate and I enjoyed reading her dedication to her magic. Ethel and Bennet were fantastic and supportive secondary characters and I could have read a million more scenes with them. Oh and the brief scene of Ceony and Emery was just perfection.

Plot wise it was just okay. I didn’t get caught up in this branch of magic. And while the idea of gett
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and 47North for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

Holmberg's Paper Magician series did something really cool: it introduced a very unique and very fun magic system. This standalone follow-up/spin-off book follows the adventures of Ceony in the first three books and this time, it's through the very poor-sighted eyes of Alvie, a fledgling Polymaker (plastic magician) who is taking an apprenticeship in England, far across the sea from her home in the US.
Jenny Lee
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you Charlie Holmberg and NetGalley for the opportunity to dive back into this magical world. This is truly one of my favorite series, and I am so happy I was able to read another story.

The Plastic Magician is a spin off, which takes place after the events of The Plastic Magician trilogy. I believe that you could read this as a stand alone, but wholeheartedly recommended doing the trilogy first.

We meet a brand new character ( Alvie ) who is leaving her home in Ohio to travel across seas t
Lauren
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear...this was somewhat disappointng. It lacked the sparkle, the flirtatious fun and the thrill that made up The Paper Magician series. Alvie and Bennet weren’t a patch on Ceony and Emery. Not sure whether I will continue with this series now.
Fiona
The Paper Magician trilogy holds a very special place in my heart - and I'm only too pleased to add this next book into their illustrious company!

Alvie is a complete departure from Ceony (who has a very satisfying cameo!) - she's logical, mathematical, quite the overthinker and very much in the scatterbrained genius mold when she's working. (view spoiler)
The Librarian Witch
I have to admit, I enjoyed this installment the most out of all the books in the series thus far.

Alvie was such a great character and I found her so much easier to connect and relate to than the character of Ceony in the other books.
Ceony seemed to mostly annoy and frustrate me, whereas Alvie was delightful!
She’s smart (like, really really smart), clumsy, bold, adventurous, hardworking, plucky, brave, curious, and most of all - she really, REALLY likes to wear trousers *gasp*
I loved that she w
World: ★★★★☆
Enjoyment: ★★★☆☆
Cover:
★★★★☆

Pros:
○ Much like the original trilogy, The Plastic Magician was a fun, quick, easy and lighthearted read.
○ The disability representation.
○ Ethel’s character as a whole was brilliant and I loved her.
○ Bennet is a proper Hufflepuff.
○ Alvie’s quirky and unconventional personality was good fun.
○ It was interesting seeing the parallels between the magical practice of po
Leigh
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Plastic Magician is set in the same world as the Paper Magician, but with a new lead character. Alvie is an American girl, who dreams of becoming a polymaker, a plastic magician. We follow her as she gets her position as an apprentice in London and as she begins to make discoveries and come to grips with her new powers.

The book is written in third person and in much the same manner as the plastic magician trilogy. Although, the book is an American writing about London and England, all in the
Lena
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
These stories are delightful. I was cheered to return to the world of The Paper Magician in this spin off that follows a Plastic Magician on her adventures in magic and love.

The bad guys conspiracy was weak but I’m hopeful that this will become a series with stronger plot.

It makes me want to reread the previous books.
Magen
Note: While this is listed as part of The Paper Magician Series, this novel can stand on its own. While the world-building isn't as extensive in this novel, there is still enough information that one could start with this book not having read the full Paper Magician series. Characters from that series do pop up in this book, but none of the main characters have major roles in this book.

Probably more like 3.5 stars. Full review to come.

I received this eARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest
Erika
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adored the world created in The Paper Magician Trilogy and am super excited to be able to return to it.

Alvie is adorable and believable as the heroine and new plastic magician apprentice and her brain and smart thinking are admirable. Bennet was also cute and his and Alvie's interactions had me cheering for them from the start.

Love, love, love this edition to the series.
Jonmontanavega
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
6 October 2017. There are 12 reviews for a book that won't be published for 6 months, according to the blurb. What's wrong with this picture?

PS I enjoyed the first 3 books in the series, so it may turn out to deserve the stars.
Sara Hernández
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Kate (BloggingwithDragons)
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This review does contain marked spoiler. However, the book has not been released yet, so read at your own risk.

I really enjoyed revisiting the much beloved world of the Paper Magician in this triumphant sequel to the original trilogy. In the Plastic Magician, main character American-German Alvie Brechenmacher, delves into the newly discovered magi
Simi Sunny
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Divine Anas
May 17, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
There's a new book???? ohhhmyyyyy I've been reading the Paper Magician Series ohohoho I do hope this would turn out to be a gem! Though this also reminds me that I still have to finish The Glass Magician first (almost DNF'd it prolly why I already forgot to continue w/ the third book)
Ness
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Alvie. She's weird (I'm weird too) perhaps that is why I loved her so much. I can't express how much I truly love this series.
Sophie Janet
This book had so many pros to it that overall, it was a fast-paced, fun read! I liked ALL the characters. Unfortunately, it was predictable early on and I had a reasonable guess about who was behind the robberies from the get-go. That aside, I enjoyed The Plastic Magician as I enjoyed the The Paper Magician series.
Elysa
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through Netgalley and am providing my honest review. I haven't read the Paper Magician trilogy before reading this book, but I feel like the book was separate enough from the trilogy that I could easily read it and understand the world. The first 10% or so of the book I was confused (mostly curious) about what the magic system was like and I think that reading the other books would have helped with that, but I learned quickly enough.

Alvie, who dreams of becoming a great plas
Kushnuma
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Plastic Magician is a spinoff of The Paper Magician Trilogy.

I really enjoyed reading Alvie's story and the discoveries being made, and learning new things about the different forms of magic. I loved seeing characters from the Paper Magician trilogy, which made it even better.

When I finished the book, I wanted more and was hoping that maybe there will be.
Julie Pullman
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a return to my favorite Holmberg books. I adored The Paper Magician and hoped the return to that world would live up to my expectations. It did!
I liked that it carried on in the world with a new character, Alvie. (But we get a cameo!) Alvie’s a great character and the story is entertaining and a fun read. It’s not intense action or deep romance; expect a light and enjoyable romp through a world we love.
(Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy. It did not sway my opinion.)
Ashley
A few months back I got approved for an ARC of The Plastic Magician and in truly dodgy fashion, here I am only just having read it…now. Who’s an organised book blogger? *crickets* Clearly not me.

The Plastic Magician is a spin-off standalone of Charlie N. Holmberg’s The Paper Magician series. I actually haven’t read any of the books in the original series but after being intrigued by the blurb for the book and seeing that it was perfectly okay to read without reading the others, I thought, why n
Lisa
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THANKS TO THE PUBLISHER AND NETGALLEY FOR PROVIDING ME WITH A COPY FOR REVIEW, THIS DID NOT AFFECT MY OPINION OF THE BOOK IN ANY WAY.

The Plastic Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg is the latest story set in the world she created with The Paper Magician. If you’re familiar at all with The Paper Magician series, that helps a great deal with the background world-building going into this new book, although you don’t necessarily have to read those first. I do encourage it however, because they’re deligh
Wing Kee
The best in the series!

I wrote a long review but goodreads crashed on me so I'm just gonna keep it simple (thanks goodreads).

World: The world is charming and effortless. There is no info dumping and Alvie is a good point of view to introduce readers to the world. The magic system is fun.

Story: Well paced and character driven. I love how it's not so much about killing and end of the world but discovery of magic and discovery of oneself, a strong character book. Villain was a bit meh but overall I
Shannon
The Plastic Magician
The Paper Magician, Book 4

I Picked Up This Book Because: Continue the Series

The Characters:

Alvie Brechenmacher: American from Ohio sent to study Polymaking in London under Marion Praft
Marion Praft: Genius Polymaker, son of the founder of Praft School of Magic
Bennet Cooper:Future folder, devoted brother, paramore.
Emma Cooper, Magician Ezell

The Story:

A great new adventure. While Alvie doesn’t seem to find trouble the way Ceony does she’s definitely up for
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

This book didn't grab me quite as quickly as the first book in the series, and it took me a little while to warm to the characters. I liked Alvie well enough, and her charming awkwardness, but for awhile the story seemed to be just about that and while she was quirky and all, I get a little bit tired of the Cute Clumsy Girl thing.

I do appreciate a female character who is more interested in work and comfort than on the latest fashion trends and all - especially since she didn't seem to put ot
Brigi
Read for the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2018: a book published in 2018.

Disclaimer: I love The Paper Magician series. I adore Emery Thane with all my heart. But this book just didn't really cut it. I knew it wasn't about the characters I got used to, so I don't think that was the issue. I think I'm upset about all the lost potential tbh.

While I wasn't a fan of the new heroine - just doubt anyone thinks like that and it's another case of writer tries to write about immigrant experience and gets it
Swanbender2001
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has the ability to write characters with very good intentions and the wits and strengths to maintain their dignity, honesty and integrity. I am quite drawn to her writing for this. I also like the romantic part in each of her stories and the fact that it exists but doesn't dominate; is kept in perspective while the characters acknowledge their feelings but the need to continue with their studies or work.
Finally, she writes great women characters who I would enjoy being friends with.
Che' Smith
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A pleasant return, but felt lacking

I think this series is meant for young adults, but (as an adult) I thoroughly enjoyed the first trilogy, and this was a pleasant return to the works of material magicians. I found this one lacking, though, with my only tangible observation being that I was expecting a more complex plot twist. The book also ends with what could be solid closure, so I can't tell if she'll be writing more with this new set of characters. I'd love to see a more in depth tie-in with
Around the Year i...: The Plastic Magician, by Charlie N. Holmberg 1 10 May 25, 2018 06:38PM
  • Break Us (Nikki Kill #3)
  • The Baker Street Four, Vol. 1
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 2
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Veined (Guardian of the Angels, #1)
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #2)
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • DC Comics Bombshells, Vol. 3: Uprising
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot Bonus Epilogue (Castles Ever After, #3.5)
  • Strike of the Sweepers (Janitors, #4)
  • Weaver's Lament (Industrial Magic, #2)
  • American Gods: Shadows #2 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • Frogs and Kisses (Enchanted, Inc. #8)
  • Oracle of Philadelphia (Earthbound Angels, #1)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • Wonder Woman '77, Vol 1
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
Born in Salt Lake City, Charlie N. Holmberg was raised a Trekkie alongside three sisters who also have boy names. She is a proud BYU alumna, plays the ukulele, owns too many pairs of glasses, and finally adopted a dog. Her fantasy Paper Magician series, which includes The Paper Magician, The Glass Magician, and The Master Magician, has been optioned by the Walt Disney Company. Her stand-alone nove ...more

The Paper Magician (4 books)
  • The Paper Magician (The Paper Magician, #1)
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician, #2)
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)