Start by marking “The Plastic Magician (The Paper Magician #4)” as Want to Read:
The Plastic Magician (The Paper Magician #4)

The Plastic Magician

(The Paper Magician #4)

Wall Street Journal bestselling author Charlie N. Holmberg returns to the enchanting world of The Paper Magician.

Alvie Brechenmacher has arrived in London to begin her training in Polymaking—the magical discipline of bespelling plastic. Polymaking is the newest form of magic, and in a field where there is so much left to learn, every Polymaker dreams of making the next big
Published May 15th 2018 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Plastic Magician, please sign up.
Jonny Mullan I would recommend reading the previous trilogy before this, but you do not have to. It will make complete sense without having read them. The original…moreI would recommend reading the previous trilogy before this, but you do not have to. It will make complete sense without having read them. The original characters make a small cameo in this book however.(less)
Charlie Holmberg Yes, there will be an audiobook, which will be available on Audible as well. There's a new narrator for this one--Sarah Zimmerman. :)

Start your review of The Plastic Magician (The Paper Magician #4)
Stacee
I had really enjoyed the Paper Magician series, so I was pretty excited to see there was a spin off.

I liked Alvie well enough. She’s super smart and passionate and I enjoyed reading her dedication to her magic. Ethel and Bennet were fantastic and supportive secondary characters and I could have read a million more scenes with them. Oh and the brief scene of Ceony and Emery was just perfection.

Plot wise it was just okay. I didn’t get caught up in this branch of magic. And while the idea of gett
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Netgalley #65

Many thanks go Charlie Holmberg, 47North, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.
I’m was so excited to see the Magician series was given new life! Such a great series, but I kinda love magic. But now we have new categories to manipulate, which just gives those sneaky, manipulative mages new ways to break the law. Our new heroine is adorable and brilliant and American! YAY! I just adore how dorky and intelligent she is (and she still gets a sm
Richard Derus
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindled
Real Rating: 3.5* of five

This read was very cute. These Paper-Magician series books are meant to be YAs, I found out; not my natural grazing grounds. I assure you it is so, but it doesn't seem to be explicitly stated anywhere that Author Holmberg is very much a Mormon and very committed to its Manichean dualism. Good girls aren't simpering idiots, but they sure as heck aren't going to third base, still less all the way; I think there's exactly no one QUILTBAG in this universe.

I don't think I'm d
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and 47North for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

Holmberg's Paper Magician series did something really cool: it introduced a very unique and very fun magic system. This standalone follow-up/spin-off book follows the adventures of Ceony in the first three books and this time, it's through the very poor-sighted eyes of Alvie, a fledgling Polymaker (plastic magician) who is taking an apprenticeship in England, far across the sea from her home in the US.
Fiona
The Paper Magician trilogy holds a very special place in my heart - and I'm only too pleased to add this next book into their illustrious company!

Alvie is a complete departure from Ceony (who has a very satisfying cameo!) - she's logical, mathematical, quite the overthinker and very much in the scatterbrained genius mold when she's working. (view spoiler)
booksnpenguins
Little did I know that this author and this particular series would become an obsession, and yet, here I am💁🏼‍♀️

tenor-104532ae142c00d04.gif
HBalikov
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I suspect that I am not the target audience for this book. I think this quote about the subject of The Plastic Magician, makes it clear who is. "“I think you can do it, Alvie,” the injured woman said. A smile touched her lips. “I really do. We don’t know each other terribly well, but I see your drive. People with drive do amazing things.”" This is a “coming of age” story and it is meant to be encouraging to its readers.

Alvie Brechenmacher is a young adult, from a hundred years ago, who lives in
Jenny Lee
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you Charlie Holmberg and NetGalley for the opportunity to dive back into this magical world. This is truly one of my favorite series, and I am so happy I was able to read another story.

The Plastic Magician is a spin off, which takes place after the events of The Plastic Magician trilogy. I believe that you could read this as a stand alone, but wholeheartedly recommended doing the trilogy first.

We meet a brand new character ( Alvie ) who is leaving her home in Ohio to travel across seas t
Lauren
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear...this was somewhat disappointng. It lacked the sparkle, the flirtatious fun and the thrill that made up The Paper Magician series. Alvie and Bennet weren’t a patch on Ceony and Emery. Not sure whether I will continue with this series now.
The Librarian Witch
I have to admit, I enjoyed this installment the most out of all the books in the series thus far.

Alvie was such a great character and I found her so much easier to connect and relate to than the character of Ceony in the other books.
Ceony seemed to mostly annoy and frustrate me, whereas Alvie was delightful!
She’s smart (like, really really smart), clumsy, bold, adventurous, hardworking, plucky, brave, curious, and most of all - she really, REALLY likes to wear trousers *gasp*
I loved that she w
Trisha
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one but didn't love it like I thought I would. Maybe it was because I'd been gone from the world too long - if there were any repeat characters, I did not recognize them (and I'm sure I would have loved it if I had remembered more). But as a story, it was a cute love story and an interesting idea of the plastic magicians. I loved how they went about creating and collaborating their idea for the entry into the super magical competition. But I hated that the bad guy was so over-the-to ...more
Kate (BloggingwithDragons)
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This review does contain marked spoiler. However, the book has not been released yet, so read at your own risk.

I really enjoyed revisiting the much beloved world of the Paper Magician in this triumphant sequel to the original trilogy. In the Plastic Magician, main character American-German Alvie Brechenmacher, delves into the newly discovered magi
ℨαrα
World: ★★★★☆
Enjoyment: ★★★☆☆
Cover:
★★★★☆

Pros:
○ Much like the original trilogy, The Plastic Magician was a fun, quick, easy and lighthearted read.
○ The disability representation.
○ Ethel’s character as a whole was brilliant and I loved her.
○ Bennet is a proper Hufflepuff.
○ Alvie’s quirky and unconventional personality was good fun.
○ It was interesting seeing the parallels between the magical practice of
Erika
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adored the world created in The Paper Magician Trilogy and am super excited to be able to return to it.

Alvie is adorable and believable as the heroine and new plastic magician apprentice and her brain and smart thinking are admirable. Bennet was also cute and his and Alvie's interactions had me cheering for them from the start.

Love, love, love this edition to the series.
Lena
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
These stories are delightful. I was cheered to return to the world of The Paper Magician in this spin off that follows a Plastic Magician on her adventures in magic and love.

The bad guys conspiracy was weak but I’m hopeful that this will become a series with stronger plot.

It makes me want to reread the previous books.
Mackenzie Lockhart
I practically screeched for joy when I got an email from Netgalley saying that my ARC request was accepted for The Plastic Magician (in return for an honest review). Charlie N. Holmberg is one of my favourite authors, and the first book I read by her was The Paper Magician, so to see her continue one of my all time favourite series was a huge thing for me :)

Where The Paper Magician was delicate and dainty and easily likened to an origami rose, The Plastic Magician arises from the ashes to belch
Stephanie Augustine
Thanks to Netgalley, 47North and Charlie Holmberg for a chance to read and review this book!

What a story!!! This was such a great addition to an already amazing series. The Paper Magician series was fast pace and full of action. Holmberg took a different approach with this novel which was very rewarding. Alvie moves from Ohio to London to study under Magician Marion Praff, a well known Polymaker. The story more concentrates on Alvie and Mg. Praff working close together to make a new discovery.
Leigh
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Plastic Magician is set in the same world as the Paper Magician, but with a new lead character. Alvie is an American girl, who dreams of becoming a polymaker, a plastic magician. We follow her as she gets her position as an apprentice in London and as she begins to make discoveries and come to grips with her new powers.

The book is written in third person and in much the same manner as the plastic magician trilogy. Although, the book is an American writing about London and England, all in the
Magen
Note: While this is listed as part of The Paper Magician Series, this novel can stand on its own. While the world-building isn't as extensive in this novel, there is still enough information that one could start with this book not having read the full Paper Magician series. Characters from that series do pop up in this book, but none of the main characters have major roles in this book.

Probably more like 3.5 stars. Full review to come.

I received this eARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest
Aaliyah
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
just realized i never wrote a review for this book but omg i loved it! the book was nothing special but i love most books relating magic! will definitely be reading the rest of the series and more from Charlie N. Holmberg!
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just adore this series! I love Alvie as well, she is a quirky character who is super awkward, clutzy, half blind, and has no clue about boys...man can I relate to that😂

It was fun to learn about plastic magic as well, although there wasn't as much to see as from the Folders. Speaking of Folders, I LOVED the Thane's cameo 😍

The book has an interesting storyline as Alvie is caught up in a nefarious plot that she thinks is originating from a rival Magician. As he ran out of ideas, the rival seemed
nixitN
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
{ 4 stars } It was a lovable story with a little crime and a great invention. It wasn't as exciting as Ceony and Emery's story. But the characters were nice in it and I was glad to read about them. Unfortunately the plot was predictable, but I enjoyed story anyway.
I think Alvie is a very smart girl. She isn't perfect, which isn't a problem at all. She and Bennet were very cute together, it was a pity that they had little in common scene. I still liked Mg. Praff and Ethel (the young woman who ins
Marjolein
Polymaking, the magic that deals with plastic, is still a relatively new field in The Plastic Magician. Alvie arrives for her apprenticeship and with the help of some convenient meetings, she soon has impressed her teacher and is working on a spectacular groundbreaking technology.

It has been a while since I read the original trilogy, but this books has new characters so that didn't cause any problems. Alvie however, was once again the super smart main character who seemed to be the only one who
Simi Sunny
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
retro
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Potentially interesting world building let down by a weak and predictable plot, a very low stakes love story, an irritating protagonist, a generally shallow cast, and a cartoonish villain. There are no twists and the conflict revolves around who gets to present what magi-science invention at a big, important magi-science fair. Also, the author appears to think Heart of Darkness is a gothic romance, which is weird.
Vanessa
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Alvie. She's weird (I'm weird too) perhaps that is why I loved her so much. I can't express how much I truly love this series.
sophie.connects.the.dots (on hiatus)
This book had so many pros to it that overall, it was a fast-paced, fun read! I liked ALL the characters. Unfortunately, it was predictable early on and I had a reasonable guess about who was behind the robberies from the get-go. That aside, I enjoyed The Plastic Magician as I enjoyed the The Paper Magician series. ...more
Elysa
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through Netgalley and am providing my honest review. I haven't read the Paper Magician trilogy before reading this book, but I feel like the book was separate enough from the trilogy that I could easily read it and understand the world. The first 10% or so of the book I was confused (mostly curious) about what the magic system was like and I think that reading the other books would have helped with that, but I learned quickly enough.

Alvie, who dreams of becoming a great plas
Kushnuma
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Plastic Magician is a spinoff of The Paper Magician Trilogy.

I really enjoyed reading Alvie's story and the discoveries being made, and learning new things about the different forms of magic. I loved seeing characters from the Paper Magician trilogy, which made it even better.

When I finished the book, I wanted more and was hoping that maybe there will be.
Julie Pullman
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a return to my favorite Holmberg books. I adored The Paper Magician and hoped the return to that world would live up to my expectations. It did!
I liked that it carried on in the world with a new character, Alvie. (But we get a cameo!) Alvie’s a great character and the story is entertaining and a fun read. It’s not intense action or deep romance; expect a light and enjoyable romp through a world we love.
(Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy. It did not sway my opinion.)

• The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • Mirror Gate (Harbinger #2)
  • Storm Glass (Harbinger #1)
  • Iron Garland (Harbinger #3)
  • The Gold-Son
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • Into the Hourglass (The Evermore Chronicles, #2)
  • Prism Cloud (Harbinger #4)
  • The Warrior Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #4)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
  • Everafter Song (The Evermore Chronicles #3)
  • Broken Veil (Harbinger #5)
  • The Girl with Stars in her Hair
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • The Woodcutter
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
Charlie N. Holmberg is an award-winning, best-selling, and internationally published author of fantasy and romantic fiction. She was raised a Trekkie alongside three sisters, who also have boy names. She is a proud BYU alumna, plays the ukulele, owns too many pairs of glasses, and finally adopted a dog. She currently lives with her family in Utah. Visit her at www.charlienholmberg.com.

Amazon: amzn

The Paper Magician (4 books)
  • The Paper Magician
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician, #2)
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)

News & Interviews

“the world can take all it wants from a man, but he has to give up his integrity freely.” 0 likes
“it was better to be capable than pretty,” 0 likes