Start by marking “The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight” as Want to Read:

Can what you eat determine how long, and how well, you live? The clinically proven answer is yes, and The Longevity Diet is easier to follow than you'd think. The culmination of 25 years of research on aging, nutrition, and disease across the globe, this unique program lays out a simple solution to living to a healthy old age through nutrition. The key is combining the hea ...more
Published January 2nd 2018 by Avery (first published September 15th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Longevity Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Longevity Diet

Start your review of The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight
Marcos Malumbres
I have two different opinions about this book. One is scientific and the other is more formal. I will start with the bad one (but please do not forget to read the positive one!)

As a book, I would say that this work is not of high writing quality (I would give it 2 stars). Some paragraphs are entertaining but the text is highly repetitive and disorganized with identical sentences repeated in several sections or chapters. The goal of the book is explaining the longevity and fasting-mimicking diets
Brooke
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The summary is that if you want to decrease likelihood of getting diseases you're genetically predisposed to (cancer, diabetes, heart disease), eat a mostly vegan diet until you turn about 65 year old, exercise, keep your BMI at the lower end of the normal range and do his 5-day fasting mimicking diet anywhere from 1-6 times per year based on your health and genetics. The 5-day fast is where you eat about 800 calories a day which makes your least healthy cells vulnerable to destruction (which is ...more
Ericka Clouther
I trust Dr. Longo's research, he's a recognized expert, but I don't think this plan is very useful to normal people. The concept is basically this: do the Longo "Fasting Mimicking Diet" for 5 days a month, every 3-4 months. The rest of the time, eat the Mediterranean diet and exercise 5-7 hours a week. Okay.

So my problems with the Fasting Mimicking Diet is that it's super hard. Mind you, I've done "every other day fasting" for three months (then I fell off) and I've done time-restricted eating:
Cyndi
There appears to be a major disconnect between Dr. Longo's work and this book. It's as if someone decided there needed to be a popular book and it was (all or partially) ghostwritten and sent off to the printers. Boom done. His work (and that of his team) is brilliant, but this book is poorly organized, full of contradictions, judgmental, and badly executed. It also goes on and on about how amazing and generous and intelligent Longo is. So either he has an ego the size of a major university, or ...more
Suzanne
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is an eye-opener with respect to the FMD (fasting mimicking diet), but the actual Longevity Diet falls short for me for a few reasons. Valter says that the two things that will age one quickly and cause problems in the body are too much protein and too much sugar. I agree, but when I read his daily suggestions for his Longevity Diet, I was shocked that he recommends eating dried fruit pretty much every day. Dried fruit is loaded with sugar, and even though he has you eating only 1/8 cu ...more
Martin Brochhaus
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
EDIT: After reading "The Big Fat Surprise" I have to lower my rating from 3 stars to 1 star. I will leave my original review below. This author condemns all animal fats and does not base it on convincing research. He is basically promoting a mediterranean diet, which had been thoroughly debunked by "The Big Fat Surprise" and therefore renders this book completely useless.

---------------

I'm a bit conflicted about this book.

First of all, the author starts right off with advertising some nutrition
Evelina
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book on the diet for longevity and disease prevention. Unfortunately it seems too long and too generic (though author dedicates a lot of time to discuss clinical trials, which is great).
Long story short: eat mostly vegan, eat good fats and complex carbs, not a lot of protein (which is controversial in my opinion) and do fast mimicking diet 1-2 times per year (which is patented by author and too much promoted as for me)
Cindy
Dr. Valter Longo gives a broad-stroke description of his Longevity Diet, which includes doing a 5-day Fasting-Mimicking Diet every six months. Most of the book focuses on the benefits of the very specific Fasting-Mimicking Diet (FMD) developed by Longo. But Longo himself admits that there is not yet sufficient evidence to prove his hypothesis.

Benefits of the Longevity Diet
========================
(Note, I wasn't paying too much attention to the scientific validity of Dr. Longo's research for the
Giuseppe D
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on dr Longo's own research on diet and longevity. I like how he takes a pragmatic approach on what we should actually do: for instance taking a multivitamin not every day but once every two to three days because being nourished is good but some studies have shown that certain vitamins can be toxic. Also, the amount of protein we actually need is not as high as most resources online would tell you, more could be detrimental so better to stick to relatively low but also high enoug ...more
Sandy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this book make a pretty darned convincing case in favor of a vegetarian or pescetarian diet, if living a long time is high on your list of priorities. Unfortunately, that's not how I, and most of the people I know, currently eat. It seems like everyone and their dog is doing keto these days. According to this book, a diet high in animal fats and proteins is the single *worst* diet for human longevity. At least both sides agree on one thing: sugar and processed carbs aren't good for you ...more
Mehrsa
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think if your aim is weightloss, the obesity code or the Taubes books are better, but for health, this one is pretty interesting. Some really great tips that I got from it:

1. Eat the types of foods your ancestors ate. While he humbly admits that he doesn't have the science to back this up yet, it makes complete sense. Many of our allergies may be due to us not being evolved for certain foods.

2. Beans! Lots of the paleo and low carb diets have been so down on beans, but my people (and myself)
Paraphrodite
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 stars.

An interesting read with some very sensible suggestions.
Flora
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, science
Full review: https://westofthesunblog.wordpress.co...

I have long been curious about Dr. Longo’s research on aging. The first time I heard about the science on fasting and the genetics of aging is from Dr. Rhonda Patrick from Found My Fitness Podcast. It’s through this that I got to know Dr. Longo’s works and protocols. For this reason, I was extremely excited that he’s finally published a book that will comprehensively summarize his research.

First off, I must say the title of the book highly und
Nigeyb
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The relationship between calorie restriction and longevity, and minimising risk for major killers, has long been established.

Dr. Valter Longo, USC Professor in Gerontology and Biological Science and Director of the USC Longevity Institute has been studying the secrets of a long, healthy life, and how to reduce the risks of cardiovascular, neuro-degenerative and autoimmune diseases, diabetes, cancer and dementia.

You may already have read about Dr Longo's research into the relationship between c
Adam McNamara
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, health
The Longevity Diet is about what to eat to maximize your healthy lifespan.

The book’s thesis goes like this:

Natural selection has two competing processes: ageing and rejuvenation. On one hand, we have mechanisms in our genes that protect, repair, and replace our biology to ensure we get to the age to produce offspring. On the other hand, we also have genes that trigger ageing so that once we’ve reproduced, we die so that our offspring have less competition for resources.

For much of our lives, our
Matthew
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-book
While it's difficult to find fault with a dietary recommendation that advocates for more vegetables and less saturated fat, I can't help but think this book might be written about 10 years too soon. The author's contentions rely on a number of animal studies and small human trials, of which the results are promising and may ultimately scale up -- but until large human studies, or a large regional study is done I remain cautiously optimistic.

The idea of an intermittent fast, or the fast mimickin
Shayla
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: health-promotion
Good and bad.

Good, some interesting research on the effects of reducing calories for repeated short time frames for a variety of conditions. The emphasis of eating well, mostly plants, as a regular practice is highlighted throughout the book.

Bad, egocentric and repetitive. Lots of references to the author and his team, his products and his research. This feels like marketing and poor writing skills. Lots of emphasis on consuming olive oil, high quantities of olive oil. Which is interesting sinc
Alexis DeJonge
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Groundbreaking research on the benefits of fasting and proven benefits of the Mediterranean style diet. Been trying intermittent fasting, and was hoping this book would provide a guideline as to how to safely fast for longer, but it did not. This book mainly iterated the clinical trial backing the science behind fasting and why it works to regenerate the body and heal diseases. I thought it was amazing how much it can benefit cancer patients, but also found fascinating that the bone marrow will ...more
Pandora
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The information in this book is invaluable and on point and is clearly written for the every day person. Very easy to understand. My only complaint is that a lot of the information seems to be repetitive, but that may be good for some people who have to see the same thing over and over for it to sink in. I borrowed this book from my library, but after having read it, I plan on buying my own copy for reference.
Peter McCluskey
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Longo is a moderately competent researcher whose ideas about nutrition and fasting are mostly heading in the right general direction, but many of his details look suspicious.

He convinced me to become more serious about occasional, longer fasts, but I probably won't use his products.

How to approach longevity
Longo tries, with partial success, to look at a broader range of evidence than many researchers, focusing on what he describes as 5 pillars:
* Basic research
* Epidemiology
* Clinical studies
* Ce
Seth Davis
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I debated between a 3 and 4 for this book. The book itself is useful for what it is. It's a great reminder that you should eat a healthy mediterranean-style diet. That said, the level of diet restriction required to achieve the goals here is probably too difficult. Does that make it wrong? Not necessarily, but at times it seems to go a bit too far. Probably one of the most interesting findings is around fasting. Probably worth a try. I'm satisfied with my experience going through and reading thi ...more
Christine Fitzgerald
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple and clear pillars for staying young however I think I learned more about diseases like cancer and heart disease than I did about staying young. This author has done his research and is truly out to help people, not sure if this book is accessible to all those people who need the author’s message.
Ryan
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think anything in the diet portion of the book will blow many people’s minds (a diet full of plant products and healthy fats and proteins is good for you) but the work Longo has done around fasting is fascinating and I believe will continue to show major impacts in multiple diseases. I look forward to larger studies.
Kelly Little Hansen
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked this book! As someone who is trying to learn more about what eating healthy, nutritious foods looks like realistically (and not from some instagram influencer) this was a great read. Lots of data, science and easy to understand guidance throughout. I agree that writing was a bit disjointed and self congratulatory, but I digress, he is a scientist and not Hemingway.
Penny
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone go read this book! Do you want to live healthier longer? I do.
Donna
Jun 09, 2019 added it
Dr. Longo presents the science behind calorie restricted diets and fasting, and also on a much more sustainable fasting-mimicking diet with similar benefits that he devised.
Nicholas Smith
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book with ground-breaking research about health and aging that will become mainstream in 10-20 years. Don't wait until then, do your body a favour and read this book.

Simina Pasat
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting concepts, but the book is repetitive and I didn't enjoy the way it's written.
Jacqueline Wheeler
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy reading this book at all. The science was really confusing, it was not an easy read and a lot of things were said over and over again.
Andrei Khrapavitski
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are many things I am agnostic about. One such thing is what we should eat to live a long and healthy life. As crazy as it may sound, it is easier to make a coherent statement on what we ought to eat on moral grounds. Even if you eat meat, like I do, even though I have reduced its consumption to a bare minimum, it is not a controversial thing to say that I hate pretty much everything about animal farming. It would be a great achievement if we could leave this horrible practice behind and mo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 18 Jan 30, 2018 03:57AM

• Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • The Longevity Paradox: How to Die Young at a Ripe Old Age
  • The Circadian Code: Lose Weight, Supercharge Your Energy, and Transform Your Health from Morning to Midnight
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
  • How Not to Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
  • Super Human: The Bulletproof Plan to Age Backward and Maybe Even Live Forever
  • The End of Alzheimer's: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline
  • The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life
  • Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
  • The Plant-Based Solution: A Vegan Cardiologist's Plan to Save Your Life and the Planet
  • KetoFast: Rejuvenate Your Health with a Step-by-Step Guide to Timing Your Ketogenic Meals
  • The Diabetes Code: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally
  • The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--And How Eating More Might Save Your Life
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Microbiome Solution: A Radical New Way to Heal Your Body from the Inside Out
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet-One Bite at a Time

News & Interviews

“Nutrition is clearly the most important factor you can take control of to affect how long you live, whether you will be diagnosed with certain major diseases, and whether you will be active and strong or sedentary and frail in old age.” 0 likes
“awakening the body’s dormant ability to heal, protect, regenerate, and rejuvenate itself.” 0 likes