Start by marking “Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)

Wicked and the Wallflower

(The Bareknuckle Bastards #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  7,368 ratings  ·  1,149 reviews
When Wicked Comes Calling...

When a mysterious stranger finds his way into her bedchamber and offers his help in landing a duke, Lady Felicity Faircloth agrees—on one condition. She's seen enough of the world to believe in passion, and won't accept a marriage without it.

The Wallflower Makes a Dangerous Bargain...

Bastard son of a duke and king of London's dark streets, Devil
Mass Market Paperback, 396 pages
Published June 19th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Wicked and the Wallflower, please sign up.
Diana Wilder Actually, 'Goddamn' is late middle English. The name originated during the Hundred Years War (1337–1453) between England and France, when English…moreActually, 'Goddamn' is late middle English. The name originated during the Hundred Years War (1337–1453) between England and France, when English soldiers were notorious among the French for their frequent use of profanity and in particular the interjection "God damn"(less)

·  7,368 ratings  ·  1,149 reviews

Sarah MacLean
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: historical, mine, romance
Well, I mean, obviously I like it.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_11_at_2_01_21_PM

I'm thrilled to tell you that WICKED & THE WALLFLOWER is finished and ready for bookstores -- and coming your way June 19, 2018!

This is a new series -- spun off of all my other series (you'll see the Fallen Angel and the Singing Sparrow again!) -- set in Covent Garden and featuring my Bareknuckle Bastards--three siblings who run a variety of businesses (some more legal than others) in the dark corners of London.

I'm so excited for you to meet the first of
Bibi
Jun 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't like Felicity and barely tolerated Devil/Devon, the only bright spot in this story was actually, Ewan/Marwick. Sorry.
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

Felicity Faircloth is clinging to the edges of respectability and she is tired of it. Deciding to show her former friends that she is just as good, if not better than them, she tells a little white lie and claims she is betrothed to the Duke of Marwick.
Devil has never been respectable and doesn't care. What he does care for is a childhood pact, one the Duke of M
Anne
This was a cute little romance. I'm not sure it's the bestest thing I've ever read, but there's definite potential for the rest of this series. To be honest, I was just hoping this wouldn't suck.
It didn't.
It's a fluffy romance & I'm basically easy to please.

description

So Devil is this bad dude who runs London's underground with his brother (Beast) and his sister-not-really-sister (<--that's a whole nother story). Obviously, they're bad but not evil. I mean, otherwise, we couldn't really root for the
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

When you start a book by one of your favorites you expect great things. When I started Wicked and the Wallflower I felt a tiny bit let down by Sarah MacLean. To be honest, the first half of the book I struggled - while I loved Felicity and Devil, it dragged in parts and I was afraid that it would be like that all the way until the end. I feared that it would be my first low rating for Ms. MacLean. Until I came to the middle of the story and all of a sudden it went from
Nicola
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has had me well and truly stumped for a review—when a book goes from almost being a DNF to outstanding then it’s no easy task. I think the most important point to get over is that Wicked and the Wallflower was worth the perseverance, because whilst the first half was a little drawn out, what it leads to was exceptional.

description Felicity Faircloth, you are not what I expected.”

I’ve only read one other Sarah MacLean novel, The Day of the Duchess , and having loved it along with being introduced to
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Kindle Daily Deal 03Nov18 on Amazon for $1.99

Felicity Faircloth is a fairytale name to be sure, but she never thought she’d get her fairytale until the night she met a Devil.

In a world where women are a commodity to be sold off to the highest bidder and bargained with for alliances, money and prestige Felicity has found that the family she loves is plotting to marry her off to a Duke or anyone with money really to same themselves. She thought it her place, she wanted to help, but may
Shawna
3 stars - Historical Romance

This was okay and the audiobook narrator was great. But there were definitely some things that bugged me.

*Overused historical romance tropes...The revenge plot and dark, devilish hero paired with a plain-jane spinster heroine have been done before and better.

*Very repetitive...I lost count of how many times the words/phrase “moth”, “flame”, and “moth to flame” were used. And the hero, Devil, called the heroine by her full name constantly. Seriously, he said “Felicity
Hollis
"So many doors are closed to all but a fraction of us. Why should others be the ones to decide which doors are for me?"

I'm like this | | close to awarding this a five but there was one bit at the end there I didn't quite love. I still might come back and round-up though. However.. this is hands down my favourite MacLean to-date. I'm perhaps not as well versed in her stories as I should be but I've dabbled in the starter books of two different series and completed the one that this one off-shoots
Holly
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it

A man called Devil turns out to be a mostly honorable scoundrel, meanwhile a shunned wallflower suddenly finds herself no longer concerned much about propriety when faced with freedom. I liked the banter between the two main characters, but the 'setting you free because I am not worthy of you' trope is uninteresting and illogical considering at that time she would be set free...to be alone and shunned by everyone she knows and thrusting her entire family into poverty. Gee, thanks?

Also
Stacee
March 2019: I just really love this book. I don’t think I could add anything to my review because I still feel the same as I did when I read it last year. I love Felicity and Devil so much and I really need to see them in the next book of this series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 2018: Well, I was in a weird mood slash slump sort of thing when I started this book and it was literally the perfect thing.

I love love loved Felicity and Devil. She’s sassy and picks locks and he’s a marshmallow with a gruff exte
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 STARS
Felicity Faircloth was perfection—the first taste of it Devil had ever had. She tasted like a promise.

Wicked and the Wallflower is the first installment in a brand new series that's sure to be a new addiction for me from one of my favorite historical romance authors. However, I've been sitting on my rating for this book for a couple weeks now, somewhat stumped in how to rate it. I was completely enamored with the story in the first 15%, then somewhere along the way it began to lose me
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Wicked and the Wallflower
Series: Bareknuckle Bastards #1
Author: Sarah MacLean
Release date: June 19, 2018
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

Men raised in the dark will do anything for light. She wondered if he realized how much she wanted to explore the darkness.

Sarah MacLean thrilled me with this first installment in the Bareknuckle Bastards series! It's one of those books that you greedily consume, then slowly sigh in contentment after turning the last page. After that
Stacey is Sassy
Are we there yet...?

I liked Wicked and the Wallflower but to be honest, it dragged for me. It took me way too long to get through this story and I normally devour anything Sarah MacLean writes. I think my biggest problem was that I never really connected with the characters. I thought the heroine was a ninny, the hero not as tough/strong/intimidating as I was told, and the villain a little insipid. Harsh, I know, but I needed more from them. I just didn't feel part of this story and never felt a
Mei
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Revenge plot between two brothers turns sour when one falls for the tool of that revenge!

Felicity, the wallflower, has been chosen by Devil as a tool to thwart his brother's plot of getting a heir, but almost since the beginning Devil is intrigued by the seeminly plain woman.

As the time passes he is more and more attracted to her. She's not plain at all! On the contrary, she's very much smart and intelligent and challenges his in unexcpected ways!

I liked both Felicity and Devil, but also Grace a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Wicked and the Wallflower took me over a month to finish, and it has extremely mixed reviews from my friends, so I'm as surprised as you guys are to report that I actually really liked it.

I read the book in paperback, which is not the format I reach for most of the time. I put this one down for a couple of weeks at a time, sort of forgetting about it, only to be extremely engrossed once I picked it back up.

I had some issues, mainly with the name "Devil" being a distraction and some
Roshani Chokshi
I am hopelessly in love with anything and everything Sarah writes. Her heroines are full of depth and warmth, and her romances are exquisitely angst and delicious. I am dying for the next installment!
Lindsay
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Well, it's been out for a month and has nearly 450 reviews and an average rating well over 4. Time to give this author a try.

Lady Felicity Faircloth has fallen out of favor with the ton as an aging wallflower. One evening she escapes the mockery of her former social set to a dark room where she encounters a voice from the shadows. Soon after the mysterious voice appears at her home in her bed chambers offering her a bargain with the Devil. He will make Felicity irresistible and land her a Duke f
Riley
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first Sarah MacLean book and I can definitely see why she is so popular!

Geri Reads
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it

Sarah MacLean's new Bareknucle Bastards series is off to a strong start with Wicked and the Wallflower. It's a passionate and intriguing tale of three brothers who're bound by the secrets of their pasts.
“You don’t need lessons in fire. You are an inferno.”

Wicked and the Wallflower is about the first brother, Devon, known as Devil to everyone—friends and enemies alike. Devil immediately captures the attention. At the start of the book, his only goal was to uphold a promise from his past but i
Esther
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Rating-3.5
I rated in four stars, but I might notch it down to a three. Still processing this read.
Not my favorite of SM.

RTC
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
2.5 Stars
DNF @ 53%

This was so overdone, over cooked and I’m just over it. The beginning had me so excited. It was thrilling, but it started to lose its appeal. The heroine annoyed me and the hero didn’t love up to his “devilish” ways. I definitely feel like the author tried to make it so dark and sensual that it started to become cheesy...and it sort of reminded me of the Maiden Lane series by Elizabeth Hoyt (Only EH can really pull off that dark storyline IMO). I am interested in the other char
Karen
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

Loved the story. And I am really looking forward to the rest of the series. The only reason that I didn't rate it higher is that I felt the writing was not up to SM's usual standards. I am a huge SM fan, and rate most of her books very high. But this time, I felt it was very repetitive. Too many overused metaphors, almost to the point of eye rolling. I liked the characters, and I really like the way the story is unfolding. Fingers crossed for Beast's book!
Addie H
On sale for $1.99

(Tropes: Spinster, Mistake Identity, Forbidden Love, Class Difference, Opposites Attract)

This book was incredibly hard to put down, and the family dynamics between the 3 bastard brothers and sister (all subsequent books of course) was quite fascinating and I will definitely read the rest.

The 2/3 are the strongest, and at times it is a tad melodramatic, but trust me..just go with it.

description

*****
There had been a time when he might have been the duke. When he might have been able to
Katyana
***2.5***

Well. This is a Sarah MacLean misfire, imo. I suppose it had to happen eventually. Honestly, I thought it would happen with Haven's book, but no, he won me over.

Devil, however, did not.

I really like Felicity. And for most of the book, I sympathized with Devil, and liked him. But when she threw herself at him for the 294857378945th time and he crushed her and pushed her away, I was fucking done.

This book is 100% Felicity making herself vulnerable, Felicity trying to win over Devil, Felic
Ginger
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Wicked and the Wallflower is the first book in the new series The Bareknuckle Bastards by Sarah MacLean.

I thought this was a good start to the series and the first book was well done. MacLean introduces us to three boys that were born on the same day by the same father, the Duke of Marwick who’s a terrible father and person. What are the odds on that but oh well, it's fiction and I'm here for the romance and smut!

All three boys were bastards, and this is the tale of how they survived, thrived or
The Anxious Bookaholic
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read anything from Sarah Maclean in a while now, so I look forward to hopping back on that train!
Also gave the book 5 stars, cause I saw it has a 1-star average rating. Come on people, its just not right to give a book a bad rating without even reading it?!
Laura the Highland Hussy
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a free short story that you get when you sign up for Sarah MacLean's newsletter.
It's a really clever scene that shows two previous series' heroines playing cards when the Bareknuckle Bastards walk in.

It's fun and it's really just a neat scene. I liked seeing everyone interacting and having a good time. I love the concept and I wish more authors would offer something like this. Interconnecting series are always great, and having a scene where you see all the characters having a good time
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
Not my favorite from Sarah MacLean. The story and romance were too slow and didn’t pick up until the last third of the novel. I felt for the heroine and her struggles, but I didn’t connect with her or the hero at all. I’m still intrigued with the overall story about the siblings and am absolutely dying for a certain couple to get their book. The series has great potential and I’m looking forward to the sequels!

Full review to come!

Thanks to the publisher for generously providing me an ARC to revi

• Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
  • What a Difference a Duke Makes (School for Dukes, #1)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • Beauty and the Rake  (The Rookery Rogues, #3)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • Forever Your Earl (The Wicked Quills of London, #1)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • A Scandalous Deal (The Four Hundred, #2)
  • Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • The Duke I Tempted (Secrets of Charlotte Street, #1)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1)
  • The Study of Seduction (Sinful Suitors, #2)
New York Times, Washington Post & USA Today bestseller Sarah MacLean is the author of historical romance novels that have been translated into more than twenty languages, and winner of back-to-back RITA Awards for best historical romance from the Romance Writers of America.

Sarah is a leading advocate for the romance genre, speaking widely on its place at the nexus of gender and cultural studie

The Bareknuckle Bastards (3 books)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)
“That sounds like the plot to a ridiculous romantic novel.” 1 likes
“He watched her for a long time. An eternity. Seconds stretched between them like miles. And then, just when she thought it was all over, he said, quiet and certain, "Here is something true, Felicity Faircloth, wallflower, lockpick, and wonder: there isn't a single thing about you that is flawed.” 1 likes