Start by marking “The Princess and the Suffragette” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Suffragette

The Princess and the Suffragette

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
It is 1913, nine years after the end of A Little Princess saw Sara Crewe escape Miss Minchin's orphanage.

Lottie, the smallest girl from the original story, learns about the Suffragette movement from Sara, who returns to visit from time to time. Soon Lottie finds herself sneaking out of the orphanage to attend a demonstration, in defiance of her cold, distant father. A fath
Published October 5th 2017 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Suffragette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and the Suffragette

LH Johnson
I've been really interested in Webb's recent turn towards some of the classics of children's literature. She's not alone in this of course, Jacqueline Wilson delivered the delightful Four Children And It, whilst Kate Saunders wrote the powerful Five Children On The Western Front.

Webb turned towards the rich grounds of The Secret Garden with the sequel: Return To The Secret Garden and in The Princess And The Suffragette delivers a sequel, of sorts, to Sara Crewe, Or What Happened At Miss Minchin
Emma
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is set 3 years after A Little Princess. Unfortunately it doesn't follow the same style as Frances Hodgson Burnett's classic.
First, before I get all nitpicky, about what I didn't like about this book, I do have to say I loved the idea of this, that a girl from this time, from Miss Minchin’s, would get involved in the Suffragist movement. I do love the historical events that are covered in this book. For that alone, this book might get youth interested in the history of the movement.

I love how the Coronation March is what introduced Lottie, and that she struggled on, trying to get more and more information about it, de
Bec
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-2010s
The Princess and the Suffragette is a really good continuation novel to Frances Hodgson Burnett’s A Little Princess. I enjoyed having an older Lottie as the central character and how Sara was there but in the background. It weaves the suffragette movement as witnessed by Lottie which I thought was done in a great way.
Rebecca Burland
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a really good premise, and I did enjoy the story. It was a very easy read with lots of interesting detail about the suffragettes. However, having read it straight after 'A Little Princess' I felt that the writing style was not really in keeping, it felt like it was written for a younger audience than the original book. There were also some plot holes that made some moments confusing. I did enjoy the friendship between Lottie and Sally however, which was more equal than the Sara-Bec ...more
Anna
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52booksfor2017

The Princess and the Suffragette is a sequel to The Little Princess which was one of my favourite books as a child. I adored Sara Crewe and her story of friendship and determination. So it was with great excitement and a little trepidation that I started to read this book.

I had no need to fear. Holly Webb has taken the characters from a classic and given them a new lease of life. Lottie's political awakening is a slow and honest journey. She starts to see things in a different light, and decide
Melissa
Ugh. I wanted to like this, but I hated it. The tone was so different from the original. All my favourite characters were blah. Hated the suffragette thing. It felt so forced. Plus it happened later than when “A Little Princess” was published.

Luckily I was able to cancel my Indigo order of this book. Ugh it has left a bad taste in my mouth. I need to read the FHB original tonight.
Liz Cheshire
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay I was not to excited to read this book being the not really interested in other Of holly Webb’s books but if you have patience I promise it gat’s better later i the book if you are unsure whether to read this or not just read it a good read for 4-7 graders!
Liv Liv  M
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really sweet and heart-warming follow up to The Little Princess! Wonderful message about standing up for what you believe in too.
Suzannah Seerden
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book it has a happy but sad ending.
Seawood
I'm not big on classics and I've never read The Little Princess, but I don't feel I've missed out as Holly Webb does a great job establishing the backplot before taking us off on a great adventure. I'm an old hand at feminism and I'm thrilled to see suffragette history being made accessible to girls today. It's crucial we don't forget where we came from. I'll be making sure my daughters get a copy, and one for the school library too.

ETA: if you have a YA reader/library, you want Things A Bright
Howard Murphy
Aug 04, 2018
Shiraz
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5/2 This is the story of Lottie, Sara Crewe's young friend from A Little Princess. Sara has moved next door and appears periodically, but it's Lottie learning about the suffragette movement and befriending a servant that is the focus of this middle grade novel meant as a sequel. As Lottie becomes more involved she learns that the people around her have all lied to her and she and her new friend Sally try to make things right. The story is engaging enough, but I was overall left wondering why t ...more
Karen
Clare Canavan
Mar 23, 2018
Jess Chant
Apr 27, 2018
Holly Webb is the author of Dog Magic, Cat Magic, and Lost in the Snow. She has always loved animals and owns two very spoiled cats. They haven't said a word to her yet, but she's always listening, just in case! She lives in England.