Start by marking “The Mirror of Pharos” as Want to Read:
The Mirror of Pharos

The Mirror of Pharos

Jack Tideswell’s parents died in a tragic diving accident while exploring the underwater ruins of the ancient Pharos lighthouse in Egypt. So Jack wants nothing to do with adventure. Until that is, a seagull delivers a strange disc, addressed to him in his own handwriting.

In the blink of an eye, all kinds of magic are let loose, sending Jack on a dangerous journey. Can he l
Published November 28th 2017 by Troubador Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror of Pharos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mirror of Pharos

Start your review of The Mirror of Pharos
Caroline Vincent
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An unusual messenger goes to a lot of trouble of delivering a peculiar package to Jack Tideswell. The tragic deaths of his parents on an archaeological mission caused Jack to hate adventures. But he is captivated by the magical contents of the package and before he knows it, he is head over heels in an exciting adventure of his own…

| Introduction |
Jack Tideswell is a twelve-year-old boy living with his Grandmother after his parents had died on an archaeological mission. His parents' accidental
booksofallkinds
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a quote on the back cover of this book that compares THE MIRROR OF PHAROS to the early Harry Potter books which always makes me a little weary when I'm about to start a book, as I'm a HUGE fan of Harry Potter (aka obsessed!). But I'm delighted to say that this comparison is completely justified as THE MIRROR OF PHAROS will transport children and adults alike into a world of adventure, secrets, and magic, and you will not want this story to end.

Jack Tideswell has not had an easy life so
Susan Hampson
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Now I have to say that I am very partial to middle grade books. I think it is probably because I can remember having so much pleasure myself from reading when I was that age. Well I just loved this one. There is tragedy, magic and the element of enough fear to give a youngster that adrenaline rush that makes them read a little faster, as if it can just keep them out of the clutches of the bad guys.
Jack is the main character in this story and a very reluctant hero if ever I met one! I can’t blame
Caroline Vincent

| Introduction |
Jack Tideswell is a twelve-year-old boy living with his Grandmother after his parents had died on an archaeological mission. His parents’ accidental d
J.B (Debbie)
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normally when I review children's books I don't usually go for full length novels! However, after reading the blurb on this I decided to give this one a go. I'm so glad I did as I really enjoyed it. Jack is such a sad character for me. The loss of his parents in a tragic and mysterious accident has left such a hole in his young life. Cared for by his grandmother who clearly adores him and appears to be as mad as a box of frogs, Jack has had a lot to cope with in his young life and that grief is ...more
Susan Corcoran
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to thank the author J S Landor, publisher Matador and blog tour organiser Anne Cater for the ARC of The Mirror of Pharos in return for an honest review.
I think the greatest complement I can pay this book, is that it reminded me of long days curled up with a paperback as a child. Completely absorbed in an adventure and cut off from the world around me. The Mirror of Pharos took me back to that time and I loved every second of it.
Full of adventure and magic, it’s a book I woul
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book, I was intrigued as soon as I read the blurb for the book and saw the cover, I wasn't 100% sure what to expect but I am thrilled with what I found!

This is a fantastic story that you don't want to put down, you need to know what is happening next and how the story will end! I read it as an adult and devoured it so it certainly appeals to a wide range of ages. The characters in it are likable an the author has an excellent writing
Cassie White
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read the first page of The Mirror of Pharos, I knew I wanted to devour the whole thing in one go. What a truly magical tale this is!

Our time-travelling debut novel is a contemporary story with lots of adventure and a big heart. It opens with Jack Tideswell and his eccentric Nan who’s been taking care of him ever since his parents died in a tragic diving accident at the site of the ancient Pharos Lighthouse … And so you know right from the beginning something startling is about to ha
Christine Ottaway
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I feel a bit of a party pooper compared to many of the other reviews but I write as I found.
I am sure this is a great story but I just kept being distracted by the bad writing. What shocks me is that the author has an MA in Writing for Young People and has done other writing courses so what's gone wrong?
1. Point of View - surely you need to maintain a consistent point of view at least in a chapter but it changes three times in the first chapter and that is not the only example.
2. Showing not Tel
Victoria Moore
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jack Tideswell lives in a town that begins to thrum with magic just as the charismatic Jago Flynn blows into town. Jack, the reluctant hero, is soon catapulted into time-slip adventures. Magic and reality blur and shift as he follows his dangerous quest.

Jack may not be a have-a-go hero, but he's determined to make sense of the weird computer disc dropped into his lap by a seagull. Jago rather captured my heart, a shadowy figure who reminded me of medieval travelling conjurers. Other characters i
Cherry London
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jack is in turmoil being bullied in school every day was no easy feat, having nightmares borderline to reality was even worse, they were taking a toll on him and he needed answers. Magic was the only answer to what was happening and how the disc he receive worked, but was it good or bad he was confused and wondered at his new friend Jago, was he good or bad, and Alpha what was he. He was naive enough to believe he can find the answers on his own by running away from home, he needed to know that ...more
Ana
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm obsessed with this story and want to know what happens next! I love books that start in the real world then add magic and the supernatural into the mix. A bit like Nan's amazing cookies - one bite is not enough!

Nan was one of my favourite characters, along with Jack's best friend, Charlie. She's tough and kind and not just a sidekick. Out of the animal characters Alpha is obviously a massive presence and Jack's connection with him is spine tingling. But I couldn't help having a soft spot for
Karen Cole
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My youngest daughter, Maggie is now ten and a fluent reader but we still both really enjoy sharing books together. She particularly enjoys adventure stories and as wolves are her favourite animal, we couldn't resist The Mirror of Pharos - just look at those amber eyes staring out from the front cover! I'll be reviewing the book first today and then Maggie will share her thoughts below.

My Review
I believe a great book for children can be about any subject but it needs certain ingredients. The fir
Julie Cowen
Michelle
Mar 11, 2018
Annarella
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good book than can be enjoyed by both children and adult.
It is well written, with a very entertaining plot full of twists and adventures, lovely and interesting characters.
It's a page turner and keep you hooked since the beginning.
Many thanks to Netgalley and Troubador Publishing!
Katie
Hayley Davenport-Smith
is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2019

• The Lost Conspiracy
  • The Dreamsnatcher (Dreamsnatcher #1)
  • Deeplight
  • The Monster Who Wasn't
  • The Hypnotist
  • The Shadow Keepers
  • A Pocketful of Stars
  • The Sounds of Poetry: A Brief Guide
  • The Contrary Tale of the Butterfly Girl (The Peculiar Adventures of John Loveheart, Esq. #2)
  • Skin (Skin #1)
  • Songwoman (Skin #2)
  • Nightrise (Power of Five, #3)
  • Circle of Words
  • The Book of Tea
  • The Fools of Chelm and Their History
  • White is for Witching
  • Cuckoo Song
  • The Perseverance
Jenny has worked as a journalist, farmer and publishing editor. She has an MA in Writing for Young People and has edited several children's books. The Mirror of Pharos, published in November 2017, is her debut children's novel.

Meet the characters and find out more by visiting: www.jslandor.com

News & Interviews