Start by marking “The Scene (Dylan Hart #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scene (Dylan Hart #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Scene

(Dylan Hart #1)

Havoc ensues when journalist Dylan Hart takes on the story of a lifetime. Exsanguinated hookers? Vampires in real life? What more could the public want? As the death toll rises, Dylan discovers she's put herself on the killer's radar and will have to fight to survive.
Paperback, Special Edition, 399 pages
Published July 17th 2017 by Mac Gille Mhur Pub (first published February 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Scene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scene

Start your review of The Scene (Dylan Hart #1)
Nora aka Diva
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written, page turner. The main characters were likeable enough, well I should say the main character, her best friend on the other hand I wouldn't have been disappointed had she turned up dead. The storyline kept you guessing til the end. A fun and exciting read.

My daughter insisted I add this to my review.. it's a true story and sorry to those with weak tummies...

So I was eating an ice cream cone and reading this book, I went to lick said ice cream cone and it felt spongy and warm. Yeah
Shona Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom
Where to begin?
I really struggled to stay focused in the first few chapters but once i settled into a good reading pace I was hooked.

In the beginning I remember thinking "this chick spends too much time dissing herself" and then I realised "this chick's real". Dylan Hart is not your usual heroine, she is not super confident, oozing sex appeal and she doesn't have super human powers. She is sassy with a filthy mouth, prone to sarcasm and has the funniest lines. I actually laughed out loud several
Katherine Rochholz
I bought this book from the author before ever reading it, I wanted it in paperback and after hearing how good it was I couldn't wait! I wasn't disappointed! The author does take a bit of time to get to the 'juicy' parts, for a lack of a better word, but it is totally worth the time to read this book from start to finish! Dylan is a character you can relate to! There is so much that is great about this book! But I don't want to spoiler anything! But I will say this: If you have been disappointed ...more
Stacey
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I started the book with no preconceptions
I found the first few chapters hard reading
But once the penny dropped I couldn't get enough of Dylan
Mike Cyrus and her BFF
The story s different to a vampire book it has lots of twist leading you in lots of different direction
So much so I was sure I had it pegged to find out I was wrong .
Can't tell you more as I hate spoilers
But enjoy
I'm waiting to read the next
Deb Carroll
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I got this book from R.M. Gilmore herself. And boy I am glad she made sure I had it!! When I grow up I want to be just like Dylan Hart! What an amazing and funny girl she is! I kept laughing out loud at the things that came out of her mouth and when the hubby asked what was so funny I would have to tell him he just wouldn't get it! I can't wait to read the next Dylan Hart book!
Glenn Conley
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book was quite a fun read. A joyful romp with a chubby journalist girl and her hot, nearly bi-sexual girlfriend. Chubby is out for the scoop of a lifetime. Vampires are killing prostitutes in L.A., and this frisky Scooby-Doo duo are the only ones who can solve the case!

This book reminds me a lot of One for the Money, in it's tone and pace. The witty banter, and crazy girl antics are fun to read. But, it's a bit shallow.

I mean, of course it's shallow. It's not really meant to be anything els
Sabrina
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this by the cover from one line “They’re not your daughter’s vampires” that alone had me picking this book up and staying up late into the night to finish it even though I kept telling myself just one more chapter then I am going to bed. Well that one more chapter lead me to finish the book in one sitting and I am so glad I did.

We start off meeting Dylan Hart who I just love. She is a reporter who wants to write a book centered on the vampire killings in Los Angeles. She sets off
Bex 'n' Books
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Scene, we are introduced to the memorable character Dylan Hart. ‘Memorable, why’s that?’ do I hear you ask? Is it because she has superpowers, or she is remarkably charming or even is it because she is the epitome of all that is physically beautiful in a woman? Well no!

What we have with Dylan is a remarkable young woman who is so unbelievably funny and most definitely human, with human doubts about her image and her life, as well as a foul-mouth to boot! I loved Dylan’s character. She is
Romina
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was quickly drawn into this story from the beginning. Vampires, Murders…Perfect combination for me.
We meet Dylan Hart a Journalist of 4 years. 5 feet 4 inches tall, big boobs & big ass. That’s basically all the description we get of her. She mentions her big ass a lot! I would have loved to be able to picture her better while reading.
I found I learned more about unlocking her front door than her.
She has a best friend, Tatum. An ex-boyfriend, Mike and a potential love interest, Cyrus. These 3 p
Tara Dawn (Colourful WordWench)
I loooooooooooooove Dylan Hart! Smartass extraordinaire!!! I haven't laughed out loud while reading in a long time. This book had alot of one liners that just crack you up! So great.

Dylan Hart is a journalist battling her own demons, her student loans, is out hitting the streets trying to find out who is killing blonde girls from Fresno all the way to L.A. in the hopes that she can cash in on a "killer" novel and get rid of some debt. It comes out that vampires are responsible for the murders an
Dawn
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading The Scene, my first impression was that it was going to take me a while to get through it. I’m not into the glorification of vampires and the writing was a little awkward. Boy, was I wrong! After the first chapter or so, RM Gilmore got into her groove and it was easy to read and well-written. I like the unique way she shares Dylan’s thoughts. And, thankfully, it is definitely not your typical vampire novel.

Dylan Hart may be cynical but she is also hilarious. She tends to g
Samantha
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What. The. Fork?!

I have no clue what to think after reading The Scene. Seriously, I’m at a loss for words. Are vampires real? Or are they just wannabe vamps that are extra hard to kill for some completely plausible reason? I don’t know. I just don’t know.

For starters, this is not your typical paranormal vamp read.

Going into this I thought I was getting on a murder mystery train. A nonparanormal murder mystery train. But that’s not what happened.

I guess I was wrong? Because that ending did not
Jennifee
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! This is not your usual vampire story...it's funny, suspenseful and full of mystery! I'm totally hooked and cannot wait for the next book!
Lori
Dylan Hart is amazing! I could not put this book down..read it and Endless Night in one day :)
Acanthea Grimscythe | The Ghastly Grimoire
Before I delve into the meat of my review of R. M. Gilmore's The Scene, it's worth noting I am reviewing an earlier edition. The Scene's latest edition releases next week. Revisions included. Unless the book is self-published, I try not to judge too harshly on the editing. With my copy being an older edition, I have set aside my thoughts regarding editing for this review.

Dylan Hart is not your typical female protagonist. She's not drop-dead gorgeous, she's not a size two, and she does not act li
Angela
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

The Scene is the first book in the Dylan Hart Series by R.M. Gilmore. This book was even better than I’d imagined. I was hooked right from the beginning, completely engrossed by the unfolding story. R.M Gilmore has such a detailed and descriptive style- bringing all her words to ‘life’ and giving it a dynamic and exciting quality that made it impossible to put down.
Dylan Hart is a journalist who is on the trail of the story of a lifetime- investigating the possibility of vampires as murd
Laura Furuta
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Scene (Dylan Hart Series Book 1)
By R.M. Gilmore
5 out of 5 stars

The story The Scene (Dylan Hart Series Book 1) by R.M. Gilmore is a horror book that kept me turning pages. I was always wondering what would happen next. It pulled me in from the very beginning and once started I found myself not able to put it down. I loved the character of Dylan Hart. She is strong, independent, sassy, has plenty of wits, and determination. She is a journalist that is looking into a story. A story that include
Piper
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written vampire novel. Dylan is your realistic typical person she sassy has mouth on her and had some of those witty lines that make you laugh out loud. This is a vampire book with some crime involved this is the book for you. Very unquie book.
Coco.V
Mar 19, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/19/2020)! 🎁
Jessy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dylan hart. The latest funny character I've come across. I love when I find a mystery vampire hunting book that can take serious to a funny level. Some of these one liners had me busting my gut! I highlighted so many freaking hilarious moments on my kindle and had a blast going back to read them. Lol great job to the author. Comedy in a book is hard. Mix it with drama and mystery triple hard. Yet, RM Gilmore didn't have a problem. *applause*
We get wander the streets and highways of LA on a que
Monique Machuca-Austin
**JUST BOOKED received an ARC for an honest review**

The Scene was most definitely very different kind of vampire genre from what I am accustomed to reading, but once I began I could not put it down I found myself captivated by the characters and the mystery to solve.

Dylan Hart is a 25 years old voluptuous young lady whom dresses like the First Lady, because political officials did not give exclusive interviews to slutty young reporters. Dylan is trying to do some local research and trying to wr
Jessica
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Let’s face it, naked dead bitches are turning up missing blood, there’s no way this’ll end pretty”

Dylan is funny, snarky, and sarcastic. She is trying to write her first book about the recent killings going on in California where the women are all drained of their blood. She had a crazy banter with everyone she meets. Following lead after lead like she’s a real detectitve she keeps coming up with a theory “vampires”. Are there really such things as vampires or just some douche tards trying to a
Boundless Book Reviews
A snarky journalist turns detective with the hopes of writing a best seller. There is a “vampire killer” on the loose and Dylan decides to team up with her best friend, and a “not sure of their relationship status” cop, to find the murderer. This turns into the funny and suspenseful murder mystery to entertain readers, regardless of the genre. The writing was great, the characters are well developed, and complete with personalities to carry on banter and keep readers laughing.

I’m not sure if thi
Allison Levine
I really enjoyed it, it moved so fast I couldn't put it down...

The Scene—The Dylan Hart-Odyssey of the Occult by R. M. Gilmore was a fun face paced rollercoaster ride. Suspense, intrigue, anticipation around every turn. Not to mention sexual tension you can cut with a knife, perhaps an illegal butterfly knife at that. I love R. M.’s voice, she speaks as if I was speaking to my best friend, there were times in which I thought I was in that story.
Dylan Hart is a snarky, sarcastic, foul-mouthed rep
Faith
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always looking for new books to read and was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across the lovely RM Gilmore and her Dylan Hart series. At first I wasn't really that excited because alot of the vampire books out there are the same, Girl meets vampire, Vampire saves the little human, Human falls for the vampire, angsty emo drama ensues. This book is definitely not that at all! Dylan Hart is a fiery character right out of the gate and you know she will not be a little tame damsel in distres ...more
Ronel van Tonder
This is the first book in the Odyssey of the Occult series featuring Dylan Hart as the heroine. Burdened with student loans to repay, Dylan Hart decides to write a bestseller using the recent swathe of vampire-style slayings in her town as book fodder. With her best friend Tatum in tow, and with the help of an ex-boyfriend cop Mike, Dylan goes into the heart of vampire territory looking to solve the mystery.

The writing itself was good, with well structured sentences and good use of language. The
Jan
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her search to discover whether or not vampires are real, we find Dylan Hart in Los Angeles, trying to make her way as a journalist, pay off her student debt and get her front door open. She has body issues, money trouble and two men she doesn't know what to do with.

Dylan's decision to write a book, and cash-in on the blood-drained bodies of prostitutes, begins her on her Odyssey. Slicing her way through the absurd, the ethereal and the deadly serious, of the underground vampire community, wi
Suleika Santana -All About Books
Cool story! Very entertaining. Really liked Dylan, she was a super fun character. I also liked her best friend Tatum, I loved their friendship. The story is well written and it has a very nice flow, it won't bore you, there is always something going on, lots of action. When it came to the love interest I was confused and still am, I don't know if I want Mike (the detective) or Cyrus (the very mysterious model). Maybe I like both, they were both interesting in their own ways. I'm still wondering ...more
Mike
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dylan and Tatum. A dynamic duo that seemed to somehow combine Cagney and Lacey, Laverne and Shirley, and Lucy and Ethel all at the same time! The descriptions of them reminded me of Jane and Stacy Drop Dead Diva, and Mike was a ringer for Owen.

What can I say about Dylan, she’s as graceful in her investigation of the Los Angeles vampire scene as a bull on roller skates in a china shop would be. And just about as messy! Half the time you want to give her a big hug and the rest of the time you want
Galina Sulaiman
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a who done it paranormal mystery with sarcasm galore. Dylan is a journalist and her best friend side kick Tatum are twenty something free spirited women that are determined to find the so called vampires killing and daring woman that look like them. Mike is the police officer ex boyfriend of Dylan's that wants her back so feeds her information on the killings to help her in writing her book. Cyrus is a hottie that she meets in her research of the vampires, one minute she wants to k ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hawk's Cry (Satan's Devils MC Second Generation #2)
  • Love is What You Bake of it (Meraki, #1)
  • Sunshine Kisses
  • Journeys Through TimeSpace
  • High Fae Academy: Year One
  • License to Bite (New Orleans Nocturnes, #1)
  • Lucifer's Emblem (Celestial Academy, #1)
  • A Study in Spirits: A College Fae magic series #2
  • Shift Happens (New Orleans Nocturnes, #2)
  • Indebted to the Vampires
  • Kat's Conundrum (Raven and Hummingbird Book 3)
  • Music Man (Romance in Rehoboth Book 1)
  • The Finder of the Lucky Devil (Lucky Devil Series Book 1)
  • The Explorer (Mountains, #6)
  • Imposter (Ash Park, #7)
  • Devil's Spawn (Satan's Devils MC Colorado Chapter #6)
  • Humiliating Revenge
  • Hansel & Gretel: Down the Rabbit Hole
R.M. Gilmore is a paranormal and mystery/suspense writer and creator of the occult bestselling Dylan Hart series. She resides in the Pacific Northwest with her teenage minion, bearded man-child, and toys still in the box. With an awkward and incessant sense of humor, it is likely she will die laughing.

"Star-crossed lovers and dead things. It's what I do." - R.M. Gilmore

Dylan Hart (8 books)
  • Endless Night (Dylan Hart #2)
  • Sacrifice (Dylan Hart #3)
  • Forsaken (Dylan Hart #4)
  • Bound (Dylan Hart #5)
  • White Walls (Dylan Hart #6)
  • Dylan Hart: The Complete Series
  • Dylan Hart: Not All There: The Box Set (Dylan Hart Odyssey of The Occult #1-4)

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...