Start by marking “Chimera (Weregirl #2)” as Want to Read:
Chimera (Weregirl #2)

Chimera

(Weregirl #2)

The forest is full of secrets.

Nessa Kurland is adjusting to life as a weregirl—she is transforming with ease and running with a pack she cares for deeply. Her boyfriend Luc is a fellow shifter, and Paravida, the corporation responsible for unethical genetic experiments on the residents of Tether, has pulled out of town, leaving the community safe.

But that’s just how it a
Kindle Edition
Published October 10th 2017 by Chooseco

To ask other readers questions about Chimera, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Montzalee Wittmann
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chimera: A Weregirl Novel by C.D. Bell is a book I requested from NetGalley and the book publishers and the review is voluntary. I have not read the first book but I did not have trouble getting into the story. I found this a great story for young teens or young adults. The suspense and intrigue of the FBI and the corrupt/unethical genetic experiments happening in Paravida Corporation and what her dad has to do with it was chilling. She finds out so much about her mom's past also. A great story ...more
Dianne
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
…and the baton has been handed off without missing a step! C.D. Bell really picked up the pace with CHIMERA and things are changing for the small town of Tether. The monsters that performed unethical genetic experiments have slithered off and things are looking up, for the most part, but…

Nessa, now well-adjusted as a werewolf, is now dealing with some shocking news. The FBI has come to town and her mother is under arrest as a threat to Homeland Security. What secrets has she been hiding? How is
Sophie (Blame Chocolate)
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full review at Blame Chocolate.

I probably loved this one even more than Weregirl! Is it even possible?

The plot was absolutely insane and intricate, the characters as awesome and relatable as ever, the relationships incredibly realistic, the whole atmosphere just so cool and engaging… I could not, for the life of me, stop reading. I only ever did because life was happening at the same time! (Ugh, life)

There were some tiny things that bothered me, from Nessa’s occasional confusing reactions to her
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Really enjoyed this second installment in the weregirl series (although - and be ready for a level of serious pedantry here - the word weregirl always makes my eyes water and my teeth ache. Were is an anglo saxon word for man. It has nothing to do with wolves or shapeshifting so 'weregirl' literally means 'man-girl'. I realise I need to let this go.)

Chimera started off at the same pace as Weregirl. A little slow and leaving me feeling th
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shifter, netgalley
REVIEW
After reading Weregirl I really wanted to know more about Nessa Kurland and her family. I also still wanted more of the shifter genre too. I had questions I wanted answering upon finishing Weregirl and was looking forward to the answers.

The main feature of this cover is the back of a girl's head. The girl has two plaits either side of her head. The hair is a mixture of browns and grey. The girls neck has fur that has a kind of mottled brown look to it. The byline on this cover says, "the f
Savanna
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chimera was so good!
I thought Chimera was better than the first one and had a better pace to it. There were some good plot twists in it. I stayed up all night (into morning) because I wanted to know what happened next. ( until 3:00 a.m)
Within the first 20-30 pages something happens that has me asking questions. (With her mom)
I thought that the story of Daniel and her moms back story was well written. ( by the way I thought Daniel's work was super creepy and weird)
I overall really enjoyed this
Rakshita
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Here are my thoughts on it:

I really liked the writing style of this book, it was fast paced and fluid. There were certain instances where my heart beat faster in anticipation of what was going to happen next!

"People live inside the stories they tell themselves. Others see about you the things that you believe.”

This is my favorite quote from the book, it's so thoughtful. Also, the whole storyline is engaging and there were time
Beth Stefl O'Grady
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As much as I loved Weregirl, Chimera blows it out of the water! I could not put this book down. The plot was suspenseful and moving, and the plot twist (I won't spoil it) was intense, I can't wait to see where it goes from here!
Equal parts exciting and heartbreaking, I would highly recommend Chimera. I appreciate a strong female protagonist and the story arcs kept me engaged.
Paige Green
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5/5

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 15+ (werewolves, FBI, and... more werewolves! Oh MY! Also, some slightly mature content)

I receieved a free copy of this book courtesy of Chooseco! Thank you so much! All opinions are my own.

The forest is full of secrets.

And who knows them better than Nessa Kurland, a sixteen-year-old cross-country star with a secret of her own: she can transform at will into a werewolf, and her power grows stronger with every moon.

Nessa returns home from a run with
Annie Deo
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I haven't read the first book in this series, but that didn't hinder my reading experience with Chimera. Obviously there was some backstory I wasn't familiar with, but it was fairly easy to fill in the blanks. My rating is 3.5, but I've rounded up to 4 stars to take into account that I probably would've had greater investment in the characters if I'd read Weregirl.

PROS

I'm very picky about the YA books I choose to read because there are a lot of toxic tropes and unfortunate themes prevalent in th
Cate
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thrilling and tear-jerking read in which Nessa grows into herself a a weregirl. Once I started this book I couldn't put it down easily - darn work & housework!

This series is very entertaining, and is perfect for lovers of the paranormal - including those coming-of-age readers. I would highly recommend this series.
Anne Z.
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was still swooing over Nessa and Luc when I started Chimera. My main thought was: C.D.Bell made me wait all the way to the last page to see my babies together, she better not mess that up! LOL

Luc is no shadow of doubt my favorite character. Why? because I identify with his personality. He rarely says anything and when he does it is only the necessary. He is always on task. He is also the character that made my heart ache throughout the book, but that is one spoiler I wont give away. Just know
throneofshatteredbooks
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was provided with a copy of Weregirl and Chimera by the author and publisher for an honest opinion. Thank you Chooseco for the opportunity to read these books.

In Weregirl we follow a high school Junior named Nessa Kurland who's main goal is to get a scholarship in cross-country to escape her small town. She gets noticed by one of the best runners in her team and was invited to run in the woods at night for practice. To Nessa's luck she runs late and while trying to catch with her teammate she
Emily
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, given-to-review
My rating: 4.5/5 stars

I received this book as an ARC from the publisher (thank you specifically to Lizzi Adelman for reaching out to me) in exchange for an honest review of the book. Chimera comes out November 1, 2017 and the first book in the trilogy is out already.

I won’t go into too much detail about anything that happened in the book as I don’t wish to spoil anyone that hasn’t read it yet, or that wants to read the series if they haven’t started it.

Chimera picks up, I want to say, about a ye
Helois
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-finished
I didn't read the first book in the series, but found myself quickly immersed in the story, and while I don't think it's completely necessary to read the first book, it may help to do so, simply for some more background information.
While I found the writing style fluid and the story progressed at a good pace, it does start of kind of slow, which I suppose is ok, most books seem to start off slow, I find it's because setting the story takes some time. The plot is very intriguing with the suspens
Summer
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad I got hold of an ARC for this, because it was a very cute werewolf book.
The werewolf protag Nessa is now comfortably dating Luc, guarding the local wolf pack, working on the rehabilitation of the escaped evil science wolves, and has a great secret hideout cabin in the woods with hot chocolate and pillows. Live the dream, Nessa. Live the dream.
This book has a lot more science and less magic than Weregirl, as Nessa and Bree continue their high-school-level espionage attempts agains
Kibby
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publishers through NetGalley. All opinions are honest and completely my own.

The 2nd book in the Weregirl trilogy, Chimera, takes us back into the life of Nessa and her newfound status of werewolf in the small town of Tether. If you thought Weregirl was wild, well, Chimera kicks it up a few notches. Which is both good and bad…
In Chimera we get more background into Nessa’s mother and her estranged father. All that background could be a trilogy of its own. Ch
Harley Quinn
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really excited to get into the book after reading Weregirl. Chimera is still a good read, but it feels like one too many things are trying to be set up in this book for the third book and it made everything feel cramped. I think what the author was going for was a breathless pace trying to keep up the tension but with all the information on each page it felt more claustrophobic than anything. The writing is still done well, I think if more had been set up in the first book this would have ...more
Natille
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received an arch free for an unbiased review through NetGalley and publisher.
I have read both books in the Weregirl series and I do believe Chimera has indeed surpassed my sequel expectations. It was of course slow going but I felt like it was slowing reintroducing me to the world of Nessa and Luc. I personally enjoyed the slow climax but I do fear people tend to want plots rushed in order to capture their attention, so it might be a negative impact for those who find it difficult to submerge
Robyyn
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Theresa
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WEREGIRL: CHIMERA
by C.D. Bell
This book is an interesting mystery including supernatural beings and genetic manipulation. The theory is sound that we can add to and alter the genetic code between two diverse animals an create hybrid animals. The supernatural idea of werewolves changing from human to wolf form on command is easily woven into the mythos of the story. Young Nessa has a lot to come to terms with. She finds out that her father is alive. She finds that her mother has more history than
Jewelrymuse
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
***Received an ARC via NetGalley for an honest review.
“Chimera”, the second book in the Weregirl trilogy by C. D. Bell, was just a good as her first, if not better. There is romance, adventure, secrets revealed, tragedy, and perseverance.
Nessa Kurland is running with the pack along with her boyfriend, Luc, who is also a wolf.
Learning to control her transformations more easily and what it mean to be part of nature. What it means to just run free.
Things seem to fall apart as Nessa’s Vet-tech moth
Klancy Hoover
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author and @weregirl_book on Instagram for sending me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I didn’t think that Nessa and Luc’s relationship was very realistic. The beginning of the novel sort of threw them together. Though, their relationship did build as the story progressed, especially toward the end. And the ending was amazing. I cried. Kleenexes were definitely needed.

I’m still not sure how I feel about the cover. If I was in a bookstore, I probably wouldn’t
Carol Dass
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Nessa is becoming more accustomed to transforming into a wolf. She spends time running with her boyfriend, Luc, who shifts into a wolf as well. But Luc has been shifting longer and feels his destiny is one day to remain a wolf and not transform back. Nessa’s world is turned upside down on the day the FBI descend, search their home, and arrest her mother for crimes Nessa feels couldn’t possibly have happened. Nessa discovers there is so much more to the story than she could have imagined. She now ...more
Rebekah kjos
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Weregirl trilogy is just about as good as the first.
Now Nessa's mom has been arrested for reasons I believe are considered spoilers. ;)
Nessa discovers her dad is still alive--and the head of a scientific research center. But he has his secrets, and as Nessa tries to figure out how to keep her mom from going to prison, she must also figure out whether or not she can trust her dad, and find out what he's hiding.
There's still quite the element of Sci-fi and mystery to this
Kim
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
An amazing book again! it was a lot slower than the first one though, so it took me a while to get through it. Nessa is an awesome character who has to go through a lot in this book, things that would make people loose their minds, but somehow she manages and in a way that makes me have a lot of respect for her. I wish there was a tiny bit more romance in this book (though this is not what the story is about) but I feel like Nessa would have deserved it. I'm really curious about the final book i ...more
Lenni Jones
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: werewolves
I’m very disappointed that I didn’t enjoy this book as much as the last. It was so much fun reading from the moment where Nessa was bitten to where she saved her brother. I enjoyed reading about how Nessa was coming into her powers, but she was done with that in this one.

I DID enjoy that Luc and Nessa we’re together in this one. They’re very cute, which made the ending very sad. I’m actually scared to read book three because I don’t know if I’ll like what the author does.

I’ll stop now before I s
Foxreadx
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I felt like this book started out rather slow, but when it began picking up in speed, I was completely shook. Some of the scenes in this book also made me want to puke. It was very graphic, and centered on something that we had only heard little about in the first book. The whole DNA altering thing really creeped me out.
I wished for a little more wolfy scenes in this book, seeing as I reall
Donna
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
teen/paranormal
This story starts right where Weregirl left off. This story picks up steam as it goes and by the end is a full blown locomotive. There are twists and turns and secrets and lies. We get a whole new cast of friends and enemies and are not sure where a few of them fall. We find out more about Nessa’s family and there are a few surprises there. This story left me panting for the final book in the trilogy.
CrazyCat (Alex)
Heartbroken? Hopeful? I don't know how to feel. A great story, well written and an emotional roller coaster. The ending was so sad, even the little hope given, couldn't help me feeling much better. A must read and highly recommended. I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thanks to NetGalley and Chooseco!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Impossible (Piercing the Veil, #3)
  • Jade's Descent (Delacourt Saga, #2)
  • The Prophecy (A Dragon's Tale, #1)
  • Veiled Designs: Age of Expansion - A Kurtherian Gambit Series (Uprise Saga, #3)
  • The Talented
  • Demon Stones
  • A Deafening Silence in Heaven (Remy Chandler, #7)
  • Pirateship Down (Sentinels of New Orleans #4.5)
  • Being Human
  • Dead Man Walking (Ishmael Jones, #2)
  • Relics (Modern Magics, Book 1)
  • Leighton's Summer (SYNSK, #2)
  • The Prophecy (Secrets of Shadow Hill, #2)
  • Girl: Repurposed
  • Gather the Sentient (The Sevens Prophecy, #2)
  • Egypt Rising
  • The Highlander's Crusader Bride (Hardy Heroines #3)
  • Titanium Texicans
When she's not biking the streets of Brooklyn, NY, you can find C. D. Bell writing in a decrepit RV clinging to the side of a hill in upstate New York, trying to teach herself to watercolor, or inventing her own recipes. She is a voracious reader of anything and everything fantasy, supernatural, or romance. And she swears that the monsters she often writes about are not real— at least she hopes no ...more

Weregirl (3 books)
  • Weregirl
  • Typhon (Weregirl #3)
“Wolves did not keep secrets from one another. They didn’t worry about having enough money or finishing school or winning races . They didn’t interfere with nature and have to figure out what was too much and what was enough. They were nature.” 2 likes
“People live inside the stories they tell themselves. Others see about you the things that you believe.” 1 likes