Start by marking “The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)

The Fifth To Die

(4MK Thriller #2)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  1,374 Ratings  ·  385 Reviews
In the thrilling sequel to The Fourth Monkey, a new serial killer stalks the streets of Chicago, while Detective Porter delves deeper into the dark past of the Four Monkey Killer.

Detective Porter and the team have been pulled from the hunt for Anson Bishop, the Four Monkey Killer, by the feds. When the body of a young girl is found beneath the frozen waters of Jackson Park
Published July 10th 2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published July 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth To Die, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Michelle Only Wants to Read
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
🐵 WOW! This book left me in a tailspin, wanting more! Book 3 ASAP please J.D. Barker! 🐒

🐵
Where do I begin? There was A LOT going on here but it's important to note that you can NOT dive in if you haven't read Book 1 - The Fourth Monkey. These books are highly intertwined and the storyline flows through each of them. You definitely need the backstory from the first book, in order to fully appreciate this one.

🙈
In Fifth to Die Detective Porter is still obsessed with pursuing serial killer Anson
Meredith
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm not going to lie, The Fifth to Die pissed me off. At the same time, it was a riveting and intriguing read.

*I am keeping this review vague to avoid spoilers. This also won’t make much sense if you haven’t read 4MK.*

Let me begin by saying that The Fifth To Die is a whole lot of book to process. There are multiple story lines, multiple POV's and multiple bad guys. There’s just too much going on for me to even attempt to write a summary.

At first, things feel a little disconnected. I was waitin
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
🙈🙉🙊
Book two and follow-up to the wildly successful, The Fourth Monkey. And if you thought that one was dark and creepy...well friends, expect some sleepless evenings in your future! This one will leave you up all night with the lights on!

I won’t get into any details about the storyline to avoid giving something away. (You’re welcome!) But do be sure you start with book one – the author uses several tie-ins, setting the stage for this read. It helped readers like myself who read it many months ag
Susanne Strong
4 Stars

The body of a young girl named Ella Reynold’s is found in a Lagoon, frozen under the ice, yet forensics show she drowned in salt water. The mystery, besides the fact that she has been murdered? She is wearing different clothes than the ones she went missing in. Turns out they belong to a different girl named Lili Davies, whose body turns up shortly thereafter, having drowned the same way. Porter, Nash and Clair & Kloz investigate and unfortunately for them, the body count continues to
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Darkness.

It swirled around him deep and thick, eating the light and leaving nothing behind but an inky void. A fog choked his thoughts - the words tried to come together, tried to form a cohesive sentence, to find meaning, but the moment they seemed close, they were swallowed up and gone, replaced by a growing sense of dread, a feeling of heaviness - his body sinking into the murky depths of a long-forgotten body of water.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: In the thrilling sequel to The Fourth Monkey,
Liz
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Let’s get one thing out of the way. Don’t even think of reading this book if you haven’t read the first in the series. It just will not work. There are lots of moving parts here, some of which require the in depth knowledge from 4MK.

The story is told from multiple POVs as the timeline moves along. It’s well paced and the story progresses in a linear fashion. This book kept my interest the entire time. It’s another gripping, scary book. It’s not as gruesome as 4MK, but that’s not to say there ar
Debra
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"You can't play God, without being acquainted with the devil."

This is the second in the 4MK Thriller series. Although this does work as a stand-alone novel, I strongly encourage you to read the first book in the series, "The Fourth Monkey". Trust me, you will be happy you did and may perhaps even become a HUGE J.D. Barker fan in the process!!! I know I am!

Anson Bishop, the Four Monkey Killer is still on the loose!!!! This guy is seriously playing a mean game of hide and seek! Detective
Theresa Alan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
J.D. Barker will keep you awake well past the time you should go to bed. This is a taut, well-done thriller. I’d advise you to clear your schedule so you can do nothing but turn pages as quickly as you can.

However, my other recommendation to you would be this: Unless you have a great memory, maybe wait until all the books in this series are complete so you can just read them one after the other. THESE ARE CLIFFHANGERS, NOT TRUE STANDALONES.

I read The Fourth Monkey a year ago and was mildly tra
Julie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Fifth to Die by J.D. Barker is a 2018 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt publication.

“You can’t play God without being acquainted with the devil.”

This highly anticipated follow up to “The Fourth Monkey” smoothly segues into a new thread, with a new serial killer to conquer, immediately capturing my attention. Porter and Nash are no longer working the 4MK case, but this new series of murders will keep them plenty occupied and more than a little perplexed.

However, Porter can’t turn loose of the Anson
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2018
The first book in this series The Fourth Monkey was one of my favorite reads last year...so when I saw this sequel go up I started looking a bit like this....

I usually just jump into series books wherever I want too but with these you are going to have to read them in order because you'll be totally lost...and you will miss out on some crazy time goodness.

Everybody is back from the first book and now some missing girls are starting to turn up. The town is still all creeped out from old Monkey
Christine
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars (rounded to 4 stars)

Holy cow, what a thrill ride! Despite that, this one was hard for me to rate. There are some really 5+++ star features, but also some things that I really didn’t like.

First of all, do not even try reading this without reading the first book, The Fourth Monkey. It is just not an option. I had to suspend reading early on and go back and re-read 10-15% of The Fourth Monkey (which I read a year ago) just to refresh enough to get my bearings. Talk about a flow-breaker. I
Carrie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Fifth To Die by J.D. Barker is the second installment of the 4MK Thriller series. A police procedural series in which the detectives have been tracking a serial killer known as the Four Monkey Killer. Picking up where the story had left off it would be best enjoyed reading in order to get to know the characters and what had happened up to this point.

The story now has resumed with Detective Porter and the rest of the team having been pulled from chasing the Four Monkey Killer but Porter just
Paromjit
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are so many reviews of this thriller that I will not waste time outlining aspects of the plot. Suffice it to say Barker is an old hand at raising suspense and tension with short snappy chapters and multiple threads that eventually connect. In enters another serial killer targeting young girls, torturing and killing them, imprisoning them in cages, an overused and too familiar trope as I wondered just how many serial killers the author is going to give us. Anson Bishop, the original 4MK ser ...more
Helga
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where do I begin?
I am confused and my head aches, but in a good way. I NEED to read the first book again!
I loved The Fourth Monkey. We had a great relationship and understood each other. Ours was a considerably smooth journey.
The Fifth To Die? I am wrecked! I feel like I have been thrown in a washing machine and then left to dry in a desert all by my lonesome! Our devastating liaison is scandalous and outrageous.
I am using big words because there is no other way to describe this hurricane.
Ta
Krystin Rachel (Here's The Fucking Twist)
My book ish: Blog | Insta

This is what you have to know going into the 4MK series:

This story is a marathon, not a sprint.

And I’m not just talking about this particular book, number two in the series.

J.D. Barker has crafted a rich, intricate world full of robust, personality-driven characters, and advanced story telling technique. And he is presenting it to us, the reader, one giant novel at a time.

You don’t get conclusions around here. There is no end until it ends.

It’s a train that never stops.
Jilly
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, mystery
(Warning - slight spoiler from the first book ahead)

First thing: You HAVE to read the first book to understand this one, and if you read it a while back, do yourself a favor and reread the diary part of it before starting this. There is barely a touch of re-capping and you will miss a lot unless the diary is pretty fresh.
Plus, it's a creepy killer's diary. What's not to love?

The diaries of monsters are so entertaining!

This book wasn't as good as the first one - for a while. It took a few more pa
Ellen Gail
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can't play God without being acquainted with the devil.

That cliffhanger needs to be unhung right now.

If you've read The Fourth Monkey, (and if you're reading this, you really should have), you will be quite familiar with J.D. Barker's love of a good plot twist. And boy oh boy is The Fifth to Die loaded with them. Quite a few I liked and one very big one that I have some...feelings about.

SERIOUSLY WHAT!? What was that ending?

So this sequel picks up with Detective Porter and his squad of sas
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
My Experience: I started reading The Fifth to Die on 8/13/18 and finished it on 8/24/18. This book is a fascinating read, especially following the police force with their investigations and the IT guy! I love the ice explanation and how the killer take extra time to commit such heinous acts in public places. I enjoy the humor between Porter and Nash, and even with the medical examiner Eisley. Each chapter is a heart pounding read and left you with a cliffhanger. A new chapter begins and the resu ...more
Carolyn
Wow! I wondered if the sequel to The Fourth Monkey would be as dark and twisted but I can assure you that it certainly is! Not only is there a new serial killer in town, kidnapping and torturing young girls but Anson Bishop, (aka the 4th Monkey killer) is still out there plotting vile deeds. And so is his equally scary mother!!

This is a complex, multi-layered thriller with Detective Sam Porter, the man who 'let' Bishop escape determined to track him down, the FBI now leading the 4MK investigatio
Sheyla ✎
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

OH. MY. GOSH!

May I please have the next book now?

The Fourth Monkey Killer was one of my favorite thrillers last year. I was left wanting for more. J. D. Barker listened to his readers and he has given them a present in the form of The Fifth To Die.

Like so many other readers, I was dying to know more about Anson and detective Sam Porter. I couldn't wait to know where was the story taking us!

At the end of 4MK, Anson told Sam, he was ready to find his mother. I was thinking nothing good could co
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
————————————————————
Okay, let’s go! I absolutely freaking loved this book! This one took hold of me bit by bit until its clever storytelling, tension and brilliant characters had me soaked right in.

I liked the way its paced, this gradually builds, it doesn’t rush a thing yet the tension mounts to an outstanding ending that took my breath away. I was yelling at characters in this book!

What’s The Four Monkey killer up to now? Could his deeds be any worse than those in The Fourth Monkey? Be surpris
Ginger
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2018
HOLY CLIFFHANGER BATMAN!!!!
What the hell J.D. Barker?!!

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.

The Fifth to Die is the sequel to The Fourth Monkey and you need to read it first before you ever get close to this sequel. So don't even read this book as a stand alone! You've been warned.

I only gave this 4.5 stars due to a beginning that lags, and it took longer for the book to grip me. But by the 1/2 way point of this book, the intensity and suspense is excellen
Mackey
When girls go missing, later turning up dead in a different person’s clothes, the public suspects the MK4 killer has returned or is this a new madman stalking the streets of Chicago?

The Fifth to Die by J.D. Barker picks up just after the event of his previous book, The Fourth Monkey. The much loved characters from the first book have returned, although much battered after the events that transpired and with reputations tarnished after Bishop’s (aka the Fourth Monkey) escape. When the murdered gi
Lou
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading "The Fourth Monkey" last summer and being totally blown away, I literally danced around the room when I secured an advanced copy of the second book in the series entitled "The Fifth to Die". Honestly, this series just gets better and better! I cannot praise J. D. Barker highly enough for producing these books - so far this is my best read of 2018, I really cannot see that changing by the time we are approaching 2019!

When I finished "The Fourth Monkey" at around a similar time last
Lori
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! I honestly didn’t think that this second book in the 4MK series could get more intense than the first... wow, I was wrong. This book involved more ‘connecting the dots’ and there are many dots, so keeping track can be a bit of a challenge. NOT a stand alone novel, in order to enjoy this the first book is a must read. I can’t wait to see how this all places out in next book.
Tiffany PSquared
My reaction at so many points during this book:

4.5 stars. Half a star deducted because at times isn't Bishop just a little too smart and connected? I mean really, what can't this dude do?

It's so hard to write this review without spoilers. I keep wanting to say, "What about that part when..." or "Ooh, it was so good when Porter..." But I can't.

So I will just say, if you are a fan of The Fourth Monkey, you'll like this book. If you are a fan of action-heavy police procedurals, you'll like this boo
Dave
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In real life, most criminals are neither smart nor clever. They simply live for the moment and get caught up in whatever they feel at that moment. But, nevertheless, we are all fascinated by fictional serial killers and the clever games they play. And, although there have been so many books about serial killers that everyone in the supermarket or at the bus stop starts looking super creepy. So why read another book about an ultra-clever serial killer? Maybe cause it’s so damn good you can’t put ...more
Selene

Genre: Mystery/ Thriller
POV/s: (view spoiler)
Darkness: 4/5

The criminal mastermind responsible for orchestrating a string of gruesome murders in The Fourth Monkey (4MK Thriller, #1) continued his almost supervillain-like reign in this book! The thing is, Anson isn’t the only sociopath in this story . . .

The FBI has taken over the 4MK case, two girls are missing at the start of this story, and Sam Porter goes rogue before the curtains drop on that f
Zoe
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intricate, creepy, and dark!

The Fifth to Die is a brilliantly crafted, gritty, riveting thriller that takes you on a hunt for a kidnapper with a fondness for saltwater and continues the pursuit for a sadistic serial killer with a penchant for retribution and body parts.

The writing is precise, eerie, and seamless. The characterization is spot on with characters that are driven, reckless and flawed, including the tenacious and tough Detective Porter whose greatest struggles involve his grief, secr
Rob
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number two in the Detective Porter Series.

To reiterate what every other reviewer has said (do not read this before reading book one, The Fourth Monkey) as this book is heavily reliant on the plot from that book. With constant referrals to book one, book two would seem a bit meaningless.
That said.
We’re back in the sick diabolical world of Anson Bishop, the very sick little boy from book one. Anson is not a little boy anymore.
Young girls are disappearing only to turn up dead a few days later. The
J.D. BARKER is the internationally best-selling author of Forsaken, a finalist for the Bram Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in a First Novel, and winner of the New Apple Medalist Award. His work has been compared to Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Thomas Harris. His 4MK Thrillers, The Fourth Monkey and The Fifth to Die, were released in June 2017 and June 2018 respectively. He has been asked ...more

4MK Thriller (2 books)
  • The Fourth Monkey (4MK Thriller, #1)
“I’m not sure how he’s even still alive. They took out so much of his brain, he could be a politician.” 0 likes
“People are so poor around these parts, they eat their cereal with a fork to save on milk. They gotta take the bus to do a drive-by” 0 likes