Start by marking “Murder on the Lake of Fire (Mourning Dove Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Lake of Fire (Mourning Dove Mysteries, #1)

Murder on the Lake of Fire

(Mourning Dove Mysteries #1)

At twenty-three and with a notorious case under his belt, Emory Rome has already garnered fame as a talented special agent for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. His career is leapfrogging over his colleagues, but the jumping stops when he’s assigned a case he fought to avoid – an eerie murder in the Smoky Mountain hometown he had abandoned. The mysterious death of a t ...more
Published December 1st 2017 by Acorn Publishing (first published November 26th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Lake of Fire, please sign up.
Mikel J. Wilson Thank you for your question. It's not on Smashwords, but it is on iTunes, Kobo, Tolino, Scribd, 24 Symbols, Overdrive and Playster. I hope one of…moreThank you for your question. It's not on Smashwords, but it is on iTunes, Kobo, Tolino, Scribd, 24 Symbols, Overdrive and Playster. I hope one of those will work for you.(less)
Mikel J. Wilson Hi Sanda. Absolutely. The Kindle version will be available on Amazon Dec. 1. We'll also have a Nook version on B&N.

Linda Strong
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.5 Stars

MURDER ON THE LAKE OF FIRE by MIKEL J. WILSON

Emory Rome, Special Agent with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, is requested by the Sheriff to return to his hometown to solve a particularly brutal murder. The sheriff just happens to be Emory's father and Emory doesn't have especially good memories of the town .. or the people in it.

A teen-age girl has been murdered while she was ice-skating. Soon after, her coach is killed .. a case of spontaneous combustion. Strange deaths, indeed.
Erth
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With each passing chapter, Mikel J. Wilson builds the characters and the plot, unveiling a new twist. Besides mystery, there are other elements ranging form humor to serious topics, beautifully woven together. But perhaps most importantly, it was a fun, great read. I look forward to other books in this series and the evolution of the protagonists.
Jason Murillo
I was one of the first readers of Murder on the Lake of Fire and one of the first to discover this gripping new mystery series. The crimes are extraordinary, the characters are engaging, and the twisty plot is a fast-paced. I'm looking forward to the next book!
Qin
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNFd at 15%. Much too much in the way of sophomoric ideas (what the heck is happening between Emory and his father ?) and head hopping for my taste. Either keep the focus on one character for the whole of a chapter or a section and have the POVs alternate according to a fixed pattern, if so you wish, or tell the story without any focalization at all, just do not routinely give us abrupt, random changes in POV, for this makes the reading needlessly painful. The uniformly convoluted and pompous wr ...more
Jessica Therrien
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So excited for the release of this book!! A must-read page-turning mystery.
Patty
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emory is the Special Agent In Charge at the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations.  He has just come off a case when his boss sends him and his partner Wayne on a new assignment to look into the murder of Britt Algarotti.  When Emory finds out the location, his whole body tenses up and fills with dread.  Barter Ridge.  His hometown.

Upon the meeting of the victims father he meets Jeff, a private investigator hired by the victims father.  He is irritated with the PI knowing he will just get in the w
Katie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I absolutely loved Murder on the Lake of Fire. It was gripping, fast-paced with some brilliant main characters who I loved.

Emory Rome is a young special agent who has been called in to investigate a bizarre death in a quiet town. He knows the town well due to growing up there but leaving a few years back. I loved everything about this book, the murders were fabulous and completely different to anything I've read before. I loved Emory and the private investigator he met, Jeff.

Mikel Wilson'
Sabetha
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow! This book was so crazy, but crazy good. I'll be honest, I don't read blurbs, only genres. So I wasn't sure what I was getting into, I said holy shit many times through out this book. I will be writing a full review on aconitecafe.com but if you're into murder mysteries read this book!

The only negative that I came across, was there were a few points that the writer flat out gave away the foreshadowing word for word instead of letting their writing do the talking. Also the point of view
maria helena
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really wanted to like this one, but it fell flat for me. There was nothing special about this book. The characters were ok but not great, the mystery had an interesting start but then the plot went on at snail's pace. It felt like 500 pages instead of 300. Overall, the book left me indifferent.

Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Susan Angela Wallace
Murder on the lake of fire by mikel j wilson.
At twenty-three and with a notorious case under his belt, Emory Rome has already garnered fame as a talented special agent for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. His career is leapfrogging over his colleagues, but the jumping stops when he's assigned a case he fought to avoid - an eerie murder in the Smoky Mountain hometown he had abandoned.
A very enjoyable read. Lots of action and bombs too. Didn't expect it to turn out like that. 4*. Tbc on fb.
Gary Boriero
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Murder on the Lake of Fire is a gripping story of intrigue, mystery and murder. Tormented special agent, Emory Rome, is sent on an investigation that is equal parts self-discovery and nail-biting suspense. Wilson's writing is pure poetry. A page turning, must read book!
Holly Kammier
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this Murder on the Lake of Fire before its publication, and I absolutely LOVED all the twists and turns and completely surprise ending. The two main characters were so likable and fun. I can't wait to read the second book in this series. I highly recommend this book!
Lisa Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mystery, netgalley
Badly written, cheesy as hell and the twist was disgusting. I’m reclaiming the time I spent reading this drivel.
Tony Silvia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has restored my faith in mysteries! I read a lot of books, but have shied away from mysteries lately, because most of them make it too easy to guess the villain, or have a ho-hum story followed by a surprise twist. This book, however, kept me page-turning late into the night with a unique voice, great descriptions, and fun characters. Even better, this book kept me guessing to the end, but the villain ended up being the last person I would have suspected--even though all the clues were ...more
Victoria Perkins
When I first started Murder on the Lake of Fire, I thought the plot was super interesting and I could not wait to see what plot twists the author would add and what surprises I would find, but I feel like nothing really surprised me. I wasn't shocked by anything and it made the book boring. The author made everything that was going to happen later in the book clear even though you could tell he was trying to hide it and make it difficult to figure out. The fact that most parts were so clear and ...more
Shane Johnson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't sit for long stretches reading books, but found myself drawn to this one. Mysteries are my favorite genre though, and this is a good one.

Mikel Wilson definitely has a knack for character development. He's able to pick out those few important elements such as eyes and expression that are able to give a clear picture in the reader's mind without being overly descriptive and slowing the pace of the storyline. He's able to touch on subtleties in the conversations...and is really effe
Bruce Ashkenas
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder on the Lake of Fire by Mikel J Wilson

Twenty-three-year-old Emory Rome has his dream job as an investigator for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. Already well known In law enforcement circles for the way he solved a notorious drug case, he is well on his way to big things in the Knoxville Office, when his boss gets a call for assistance from the sheriff of a small town. A promising high school figure skater has been burned to death while practicing outdoors on a frozen lake in Barter
Ty Kennon
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't wait to read Murder on the Lake of Fire, and once I began, I couldn't put it down. I was hooked from p. 1 and read it--cover to cover--in one evening. (Well, early into the next morning!)

Emory Rome, the protagonist, has already been through so much in such a short lifetime, but even he has more to learn about himself and the strength of character that he'll call upon. It's as much of a journey for Rome as it is for the reader, and every character--both good and bad (and there are plen
Robin Powers
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I loved how twisted this mystery/suspense had me guessing and then second guessing myself. Special Agent Emory Rome has all sorts of intrigue surrounding his past when he returns to the small town he grew up in for his next case. PI Jeff Woodard definitely added his own special take as a competing investigator and the banter between the two was quite entertaining. Light on the romance, I enjoyed how the secrets unraveled and the clever attention to every detail. It's always fun to try to so ...more
Anke
Jul 05, 2018 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
I managed to read 40 pages of this but now I'm done. The writing style is really not my thing, it's too wordy in places were it doesn't fit, from time to time it gets abstruse (let me just mention the bobcat) and I really don't care about anything that might happen furthermore. I have no idea where all these great reviews are coming from.

One thing is for sure - this series is not for me and I'll give the next book a pass.

Anneke
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Childish, simple minded, couldn't get interested and so much for the rating system that I fell for. I can't believe so many people liked this book. I had just finished Michael Connelly's The Late Show which was sooooo good. The cover is striking.
Mike Godfrey
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It had been a while since I'd read a good old-fashioned murder mystery. And while Murder on the Lake of Fire is certainly not old-fashioned in context, its structure is comfortably reminiscent of those detective novels I loved so long ago. The twists and turns of a good who-done-it, the sometimes serious, sometimes campy characters you can't help but love and, of course, those quietly addictive "aha" moments when the mystery begins to unravel and the truth is slowly revealed. In this book, autho ...more
Lissel
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
* 4,5 STARS

Wow. I’m impressed by how good the mystery was in this one. I changed my mind about who the murderer was like 10 times. The second half was so gripping I read it in one sitting, my poor back is not happy about it, but I just couldn’t go to sleep without knowing how it would end. And what an ending that was!

And I’m really glad the story will continue. We still need to know about the man in the sky mask and how he is related to Emory’s past. By the way, what is Emory’s past? Also, why i
Jenea Whittington
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder on the Lake of Fire is the first in the Mourning Dove Mysteries series, and was a fantastic start to it too. Wilson is a new author to me, and when I read the blurb for this, I knew it would be one I could dive in to and try and unravel the mystery along with them. It turned out to be a great murder mystery with a little twist. And the setting was just a couple hours from where I live too.

Emory Rome’s career is well on it’s way, especially after the high profile case that he was part of w
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Review coming closer to blog tour spot.
Jessica Robbins
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour, own-kindle
For complete review check out my blog at https://booksaplentybookreviews.blogs...
Mandy Urena
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great murder mystery! Mikel Wilson writes so descriptively and vividly that I felt like I was in every scene -better than going to a movie! The end of every chapter had me wanting more and I absolutely LOVED the ending! Hurry up and write the sequel!
Dave Flynn
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder on the Lake of Fire is definitely one of those page-turning mysteries that keeps you guessing all along the way. The author does a great job developing his characters and settings and bringing them to life for the reader. At times you feel like you're right there with Emory through the twists and turns of his investigation. Fans of the genre will not be disappointed! I'm already looking forward to what's next for Team Mourning Dove.
Lauren
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going into Murder on the Lake of Fire, I had incredibly high hopes. Most reviews I had seen had been incredibly positive and the storyline sounded interesting (I can NEVER resist a mystery!). Thankfully, Murder on the Lake of Fire was an excellent read. Full of thrills as well as chills, Murder on the Lake of Fire presents a suspenseful whodunit with a side of romance.

Emory Rome has experienced a successful start with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. With several big cases under his belt,
The Smutbrarians
Panty Scorching: 5
Over All Rating: 5 Stars
Kindle eArc provided by Author
Reviewed by Robin

Special Agent Emory Rome has achieved some fame with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. When he is sent to his small hometown to investigate the death of an aspiring Olympic teen skater, Emory isn’t excited about spending time back in the backwards country where he was raised. As Emory doesn’t know who he can trust as the investigation goes on, he also finds himself c
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Slay Ride
  • Freefall (Infected #4)
  • Willing Flesh (Inspector Raft Mystery, #1)
  • With a Bullet (Shadow of the Templar, #3)
  • マスカレード・ホテル [Masukarēdo hoteru]
  • Darkness (Common Law, #3)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Ripples (Blake Harte Mysteries #3)
  • What to Buy for the Vamp Who Has Everything (Adam & Peter, #1.5)
  • The Finder
  • And Call Me in the Evening (And Call Me in the Morning #2)
  • Rag and Bone (Henry Rios Mystery, #7)
  • Out-Foxed (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #3)
  • The Haunting of Timber Manor (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths, #1)
  • L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)
  • Southernmost Murder
  • The Next
  • Broken Blades
Mikel J. Wilson is the bestselling, award-winning author of mystery and science fiction novels.

Wilson draws on his Southern roots for the Mourning Dove Mysteries, a series of novels featuring bizarre murders in the Smoky Mountains region of Tennessee.

In the series, Wilson adheres to a “no guns or knives” philosophy for murder as he delves deeper into the lives of the characters and their evolving

Mourning Dove Mysteries (2 books)
  • Death Opens A Window (Mourning Dove Mysteries, #2)