Start by marking “Summoner” as Want to Read:
Summoner

Summoner

When Allie’s best friend dares their group to play a game in a cemetery—something she calls “witching”—Allie never expects what it might mean for her. When she plays, she doesn’t just find bodies, she summons their souls. But one soul wants more than Allie is willing to give.

And the boy next door could be the key to saving her.

Cody Burkhart. Straight from Montana, cowboy h
Published September 4th 2017 by Entangled: TEEN

To ask other readers questions about Summoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summoner

Carrie
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Six months ago Allie lost her mother to cancer which caused her to cut herself off from her boyfriend and friends. Now Allie has started to feel more like herself again and wants to repair her relationships that she had ignored however she's told her boyfriend that they should only be friends moving forward. What Allie never expected rejoining the group was to end up in a cemetery taking part in a dare to go "witching" for bodies with divining rods.

When Allie's turn arrives to use the rods she
Lin
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

Oh wow, this book was really something. I wast not sure what to expect and I am glad that I did not look into reviews and just dived into it.

I had some minor issues with it, but overall I really did like it and It really did scare me where it had to. I was pretty much like

Image result for scared gif

Yep... not ashamed to admit it!!

Anyway let me tell you about the things that I liked!

GHOSTS OH yeah!! I am all about ghosts and witching and all that stuff so this was a BIG HUGE YES!!
Labradors

Image result for labradors gif

The writing style, it was fl
lacy [lacy’s library]
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-copy, ebooks, 2017, 4-stars, g
A special thank you goes out to Entangled Teen for allowing me to read this book! All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Another book that has ripped my heart into shreds. I'm not sure how much more my heart can take these types of books. But damn, if they are addicting.

I think what is one of the best things about this book is it isn't just about the paranormal. It's about healing and the grief process and trying to get over survivor's guilt. I think because this book had those factors,
Mandy
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ghosties
*Thanks so much to Entangled Teen for sending me over a n advanced copy! I really appreciate it!!*

September and October always bring out the need to find books that I can curl up around an imaginary campfire, bring out the fuzzy sweaters, sip some tea I don't even like, and read a ton of ghostie novels. I love me some ghostie novels, and up until Halloween, I try to read as many of them as I can. This book was the absolute perfect way to begin the fall season books, and it was a lot of fun!

Amanda
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, own
I received an Advanced Review Copy of this book from Entangled Teen Publishing and Netgalley.

Let me start off by saying that I nearly passed this one up because of the title. I have read far too many books with some variation of the same title, and honestly, they are all pretty similar. The main character is able to summon or communicate with the dead and then there are a few variations from one book to another. This story won’t get points from me for being original, but I did happen to enjoy
Hope (SippingTeabytheSea)
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-school-ya
Every now and again you read a book that absorbs you and settles in your soul as you read it. The moment you finish, and the first read experience ends, you feel the cold seep into the hollow left by the end. You have to sit, the text heavy in your lap, as you mourn and readjust to the world around you, as you untangle yourself from the characters, world, and words the author wrapped you in.

Grimm’s characters have a raw honesty that pulls you in. Allie and Cody’s pain reverberated within me. It
Stephanie Ward
3.5 Stars

'Summoner' was a great YA paranormal read with lots of romance mixed in for good measure. I really enjoyed the entire story, although I have to admit that quite a few parts were predictable. Even though I kind of knew what was going to happen, I still had fun getting to know Allie and watching the story unfold from her perspective. I'm a huge fan of paranormal fiction, especially anything having to do with witches or other mystical powers. I really loved learning about witching and summ
Kathy Heare Watts
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it to my local library.
Jessica
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I have an ARC copy of this book for a blog tour. I went into reading it thinking it was horror, but as a cute surprise it had a love story tangled up into it. I enjoyed reading it....nice quick read!
Lauren
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5*

I don't know about you guys but I love fall, and the one thing I love even more than fall is Halloween. It just has so much potential to be deliciously creepy with the right books, movies, and activities. Therefore, when S.D. Grimm's Summoner landed on my radar with its attention grabbing tagline of "One Night. One dare in a cemetery. One new, hot neighbor," I simply couldn't resist. Dares, a cemetery, AND a hot neighbor. It looked like the creepiness and eeriness of fall & Halloween h
Olivia Farr
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Summoner” follows Allie, 6 months after she lost her mother to cancer, as she rejoins her friends on a crazy dare. Nell seems to find the oddest things to do, and now she has them using a divining rod to locate dead bodies in a cemetery. Although creeped out, not wanting to be a chicken, Allie gives it a try and begins to hear a voice. As we soon learn, Allie has been cursed and can summon the dead- in this case, using a divining rod.

At the same time, Allie is juggling some teenage romantic dr
Sharon
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Our MC is Allie Billings who has avoided her closest friends since the death of her mother, trying to reconnect she joins them on a dare to the local cemetery for a night of witching. Allie doesn’t believe in witching but after this night her opinion changes when she becomes bonded to a evil spirit by summoning her soul.

The plot was engaging as we see Allie do everything she possibly can to learn more about what is happening but she soon finds out her only hope could be
Teddi Deppner
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
First I'll admit that I'm not much of a fan of ghost stories. But this book was recommended to me and I found that it isn't a ghost story so much as it's a story about loss and friendship and what it means to really love someone. It's a great teen romance, actually (if you're into that sort of thing).

Speaking of teens and romance, it's definitely a PG-13 kind of book, desire and kissing (eventually! the almost kisses may drive you a little crazy if you're rooting for the whole Allie / Cody ship
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
I didn't have any reading time on Saturday and barely any time on Friday, when I first picked this up, so when I actually got into it yesterday, I couldn't put it down. It's definitely the kind of creepy book I would've loved as a teenager, but at the same time, it has something more than the typical horror novel.

At it's core, it's a story about loss, love, grief, and learning how to move on to live a life without fear. Allie's mother died six months before the story begins, and she's just gett
Laurie Lucking
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually a fan of ghost stories, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Grimm's writing style is very engaging, and the ghost appearances all gave hints to solving the mystery of how Allie became a Summoner and how the curse could be broken. Cody was a great male lead - sweet, vulnerable, and protective, plus he can cook :) I went back and forth about Allie. She had some really good moments, like the way she challenged Cody to allow himself to move beyond past tra ...more
Jackie Turner
Summoner was a read that I hadn't fully expected. It was also a read that gave me topics I'd like to look more into such as witching. I'd like to thank Chapter by Chapter blog tours, Entangled Teen, and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read an e-ARC of this one! You guys can look forward to reading this one in September!

I really enjoyed getting to know Cody and Allie in this story along with their griefs. Allie lost her mother six months before the story began and you get to explore he
heather - NightlyReading
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been on the lookout for a great paranormal read that would suck me in and not let me go. I have found that in this book!

The story intrigued me and it was so unique to the genre that I couldn't help but be mesmerized by it. I adored the characters and all of their flaws and loved what the author did with the male character in particular. And how he was introduced with the special part he played in the story line.

This book is one part paranormal, one part mystery and a lot of parts romance.
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I just finished reading this, and the tears are still streaming down my face in a continuous flow. Wow! What an utterly captivating read. This author has written a beautiful paranormal story with well-developed characters that reach out to you and not only pull at your heart strings but have you cheering them on.

Allie and Cody are high schoolers, and each has suffered devasting losses in their lives. Little by little circumstances occur that continue to bring them closer to one another. Unfortu
Anie
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, romance
Received from NetGalley

Allie and friends go witching on the cemetery, on a dare. For Allie is more than that, she start to hear and see the ghost.

She is sweet girl, living with her father and her dog. Her mother died few months ago and she is still mourning her death. One night she wakes up by the sound of basketball. A boy moved next door and is playing in the middle of the night. She joins him and they form a friendship. His name is Cody, he moved from Montana, and has a part too.

He will bec
Taylor
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't have much to say about this book.... it was a painfully slow read for me. I thought it was going to get better.... but it never did.
Rachel's Book Reviews
I'm very conflicted about this one. 2.5-3.

RTC.
Victorique Crawford
I just found this a little strange. The beginning was rather intriguing, about the grave digging and the voice hearing. But eventually it descended into nothing more than just boredom.

Allie was okay initially, I understood her need to want to speak to her mother and everything. But she became rather boring as time went, and naturally a romance developed between her and Cody. Which I thought was rather okay, although boring.

I just felt a sense of disappointment that Allie never tried to test her
Debbie Lester
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The newest book by author S.D. Grimm is a combination of the paranormal and a young adult romance. This ain't your mama's scariest ghost tale but it does have some witching, divining, a spirit summoner and a guardian that might catch your interest. Grimm's coming of age story delves into some complex story elements, like inner demons and grief. Readers looking for something different as the fall season gets underway will find this title right up their creepy alley.

What I liked:

S.D. Grimm is a n
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
This review was originally posted on Spinatale Reviews.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Now that the calendar (if not the weather) is starting to inch toward fall, I've been craving some darker, spookier reads. When I read the summary for Summoner, I wanted to read it as soon as I saw the words "witching" and "summon their souls." Summoner proved to be an interesting read, if not quite as creepy and scary as I was hoping for. It read more as young adult contemporary romance with a hint of paranormal.

The story b
Sara
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
After her mother’s death six months ago, Allie Billings pushed everyone away. Finally, one night, she decides to reconnect with her friends, and, on a dare, heads into a cemetery for a night of witching. Allie doesn’t think that anything will come of it, doesn’t even believe that witching is a real thing, but she soon finds herself haunted by a vengeful ghost who has bonded to her.

Allie’s only hope of protection comes in the form of Cody Burkhardt, her cute new neighbor with a tragic past of his
Notes From 'Round the Bend
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, ya, fantasy
The blurb provided in the original review request (it was a bit different than what’s on Amazon) grabbed my attention, and even though it was YA—something I usually avoid—I decided to give it a chance. Unfortunately, I DNF’d it at about 30% because it didn’t seem to be going anywhere. I wanted to love this book, I really really did, but I just couldn’t get into it.

Summoner exhibited everything I usually hate about YA; the overload of teenage emotions/hormones, the almost crippling character inse
Narelle Richards
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Allie has a pretty clear understanding of what it feels like to grieve - she recently lost her mother to cancer and isn't feeling very positive about life. She is finding it hard to connect with her friends which is probably why she agrees to go 'witching' with them. A silly prank, playing with dowsing rods, to find souls becomes a little too real when Allie realizes she really can summon ghosts and has awakened a soul that should have been left alone.
Fortunately, she has got someone on her side
Margaret
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I have fond memories of the short-lived TV show The Secret Circle - I had just moved when it started and used to DM about it after every show with my friend back home. The beginning of Summoner gave me some major Secret Circle vibes, tapping into some of that nostalgic good will. Which is not to say that the kids in Summoner are all witches or form a coven, just that the idea of the girl who just lost her mom and the new guy in town felt familiar. And I could easily picture them on screen.

Summon
KarenJo Custodio
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was surprisingly really good! Review to come.

4.5 – A Fantastic Heartwrenching YA Paranormal Romance

Summoner by S.D. Grimm surprised me in so many ways and it was pretty fantastic! To be honest, this book was not what I expected it to be, but that turned out to be a really good thing.

Grimm’s writing is beautiful, evocative, and had a nice flow that made it easy to read. The premise is intriguing and had me hooked from the very first page. I thought the idea of witching and summoning spirits
R.J. Metcalf
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing read. Truly, I started it with the honest thought of, "just one chapter tonight, and I'll read more tomorrow, after I finish editing." Ha! The first chapter had me intrigued. The second chapter had me hooked. The third chapter had me wondering how well I could function the next day with no sleep.

Even now, I have no regrets.

It was well worth it.

S.D. has such fascinating characters with well-rounded backstories that reach into the chest and squeeze the heart. Then there's

• Undying Desire (The Enclave, #3)
  • Inked Destiny (Inked Magic, #2)
  • The Witch's Salvation
  • Swipe Right to Mate (Paranormal Mating Series #1)
  • Darkness Eternal (Guardians of Eternity, #7.6)
  • Claiming His Beauty (Feral Breed Motorcycle Club, #4)
  • Dial M for Menage
  • A Shot of Red
  • Cowboy Behind the Badge (Sweetwater Ranch, #2)
  • Breathe You In
  • The Stag Lord (Bannerman Boru, #1)
  • Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #2)
  • Harry's Sacrifice (Resonance Mates, #5)
  • Tied Up In You (All Laced Up, #2)
  • Sex and the Single Vamp
  • unDefeated (Wayward Fighters #3)
  • Once a Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #2)
  • Crave Me (O'Brien Family, #3)
S. D. Grimm’s first love in writing is young adult fantasy and science fiction, which is to be expected from someone who looks up to heroes like Captain America and Wonder Woman, has been sorted into Gryffindor, identifies as rebel scum, and loves elevensies as much as afternoon tea. Her patronus is a red Voltron lion, her spirit animal is Toothless, and she totally has a superpower. She is repres ...more