Start by marking “The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr” as Want to Read:
The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr

The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr

Elvira Carr believes in rules. She also strongly believes in crisp schedules, clear guidelines, and taking people at face value. Not that the twenty-seven-year-old sees many people. After several unfortunate incidents, her overbearing mother keeps her at home.

But when her mother has a stroke, Elvira is suddenly on her own. To help her navigate a world that is often puzzli

Published July 11th 2017 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published July 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr, please sign up.
Cindy No. Eleanor was a victim of child abuse and led a sheltered life because of it. Elvira is clearly on the autism spectrum and Eleanor was not. There…moreNo. Eleanor was a victim of child abuse and led a sheltered life because of it. Elvira is clearly on the autism spectrum and Eleanor was not. There are some similarities because they both had difficult relationships with their mothers and that shaped who they were.(less)

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Ok, this is an extremely heartbreaking read. It switched on my home abuse-ometer. No one got beaten with a wire hanger, of course. Still, all the subtle touches made me cringe.
The narrator has some undiagnosed but supposedly totally disabling condition. Due to this she spends her life with her mother, an overbearing unhappy woman who has no problems whatsoever to subtly express to her daughter just how much she disaproves of her: illness, Incidents, Capacity... and even to refer to the said dau
Sonja Arlow

If you enjoyed 600 Hours of Edward then you are going to love this book. There are a lot of similarities, but I enjoyed this one a little more.

Elvira is different, she knows this because she gets told this over and over again by her mother. She is not allowed to go out on her own, or with friends because of “incidents” in the past, so her life revolves around reading Mills & Boon and obsessing over the delights of cookies in all its varied forms.

And then Elvira’s mother has a stroke
Marianne
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“He put on the kettle and brought in the biscuit tin. I’d showed him where it was hidden. Inside were some Bourbons and Ginger Nuts, the remains of a packet of Peek Freans Family Assortment. There was less to be scared of with a biscuit in your hand.”

The Seven Imperfect Rules of Elvira Carr is the first novel by British teacher and author, Frances Maynard. Elvira Carr may be twenty-seven years old, but she still lives at home with her mother, Agnes. Her beloved Father died some years ago. She ha
Stephen
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed this book about a mid 20's female who has learning difficulties who was an only child and lived with her overbearing mother until she had a stroke and went into a nursing home. the seven imperfect rules is her way of interacting with the world and how she becomes more herself. liked the book as it was easy going to read and dealt with several issues of her deceased father and social interactions.
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I fell in love with Elvira Carr on page one and, 381* pages later, I was still a a fan. Frances Maynard's chronicle about Elvira has been compared to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and The Rosie Project and both are apt comparisons. I don't know how the Brits do it, but, by golly, they can write!
Twenty-seven-year-old Elvira (Ellie, Vivi, Els) has a Condition making it difficult for her to navigate the world of NormalTypicals. When her mother is hospitalized following a stroke
Dale Harcombe
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elvira Carr lives with her mother who is an unhappy and overbearing woman. When her mother has a stroke it is up to Elvira to learn how to cope on her own. Given her past history of what her mother had always referred to as ‘Unfortunate Incidents,’ Elvira has her doubts about her ability to cope. Especially since she has what her mother called a ‘Condition.’ The condition is never specified but would be somewhere on the autism spectrum. The threat of of being unable to cope and taken into Shelte ...more
Katelyn
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fiction lovers, anyone with an interest in Autism
When Elvira's controlling mother has a stroke and must enter a nursing home, Elvira is left living at home alone. She has a Condition (she's somewhere on the Autism spectrum) but despite often having trouble navigating societal rules, once she no longer has her mother's limitations placed on her, she blossoms. Elvira keeps the house clean, gets the groceries, visits her mother every day and starts volunteering once a week at Animal Arcadia, an animal rescue sanctuary. She writes out the seven ru ...more
Sharon
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
Elvira is a twenty-seven year old woman who lives at home with her elderly mother. "A surprise" in later life, Elvira was born when her parents were in their forties. With her father long passed, and her mother taken ill suddenly, Elvira is forced to look after herself for the first time ever. With her set of seven rules, carefully researched, she is determined not to be sent "Away" and instead, embarks on an adventure to try and navigate the world in her own way.

Having read a number of books w
Katherine Sunderland
One afternoon, Elvira's mother suddenly has a stroke and ends up in hospital, leaving Elvira alone and having to look after herself. Socially challenged, and only having known being ruled by an overpowering mother, Elvira finds herself learning to navigate her way through the days both physically and emotionally.

The novel is narrated in first person by Elvira which allows the reader to really see the world from her point of view. I thought this was really effective as the reader is fully aware
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Seven Rules of Elvira Carr by Frances Maynard is a very highly recommended look into the life of a twenty-seven year-old neuro-atypical woman.

Elvira Carr lives a very restricted life with her authoritarian, overbearing mother. She does tasks for her mother in their home and she goes to the store. Elvira follows the rules. She enjoys biscuits, has amassed a lot of information about each kind, and collects the packages. She also takes what people say at face value, which can be troubling.

When
Tracy Fenton
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m on a mission to read as many books as possible featuring “quirky” characters and when someone recommended The Seven Imperfect Rules of Elvira I stuck it right to the top of my toppling TBR and boy am I glad I did.

There seems to be a wonderfully huge and varied selection of quirky books available to read right now including Eleanor Oliphant, 600 Hours of Edward, The Cactus and The Rosie Project so it is quite difficult to review these books without a mention or comparison to one or all of the
Rachel Verna
As a neurodivent person, or you know Autistic as neurodivent/neuroatypical covers several different disorders;I dislike this book for a pile of things, lack of correct terms, the lack of diversity in the coded autistic character (their traits/issues are the same) but mainly for random (trigger warning) (view spoiler). Loses stars for that. I wrote a properreview on my blog. I also made a video discussion.
Sandy O
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book was superb. The author created such depth in the characters that I almost became attached to them. The underlying storyline is interesting but it was truly the character dynamics and the portrayal of Elvira that pulled me in. I couldn't put it down. Loved it.
Sandra
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book exposed readers to knew way to view the characteristic of aspergers in a positive light. The undeceptive qualitives they possess are something that Nero Typicals could use a little of. An interesting read.
Meghan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
I would suggest this for fans of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Elvira is in her 20s, she's not neurotypical, and her mother has kept her at home and by constant derision and negativity made her daughter feel completely unprepared to go out into the world and build a life. When her mother has a stroke and moves to a nursing facility, Elvira must challenge her own beliefs about the world and herself. To help her, she develops a list of seven rules for interacting with others, and it's awkw ...more
Lynda
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Surprisingly engaging narrative and perspective of Elvira/ Ellie, a 20-something who experiences a life-changing transformation after the stroke of her elderly mother. From an extremely sheltered life, dependent and completely under the thumb of her bitter and controlling mother, Ellie steps out into the world, ready to experience people and places through her own initiative and filters. Although Ellie's condition is never diagnosed in the text, the author discusses Asperger's in the afterword.
Rhogal2
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting premise but predictable outcome. While the writing is well done and the chapter headings an inventive approach the story has predictable ending. The characters are all almost too good and too kind. The story of either an autistic or mentally challenged women left on her own at age 27. She. Runs into really nice people ..no one takes advantage of her. The people she meets and the challenges she faces are real and difficult to imagine she can surmount them with little or no help.
Alissa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, first-reads
I was rooting for Elvira. This is perfect for those who enjoyed "The Rosie Project" or the "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime." In addition to Ellie's coming of age story there's a good subplot regarding unraveling family secrets. You'll laugh at some of her observations and you'll get a bit teary at some of the tougher situations she finds herself in, but all along you'll be rooting for her.
Terri
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elvira is a young adult who is on the autism spectrum. Her Mum underestimated and over protected her. After her mother has a stroke Elvira is on her own to try to solve the mystery surrounding her deceased father's life. Elvira does quite well on her own with the help of the social network she builds although she must face some harsh truths. The fact that the author has worked with people who have learning and social challenges is evident in her sweet and honest portrayal of Elvira.
Deb
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. A bit repetitive but overall I liked this story of a woman with an unnamed diagnosis, somewhere on the autism spectrum, who is forced to learn how to look after herself. This was a nice change of pace for me to mix up the type of books I've been reading lately. A sweet story with good supporting characters.
Tracy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the gem I needed after a string of "meh" reads! I love Ellie's voice, her heart and her willingness to accept change, though she admittedly despises it.
Jane Meagher
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really reminded me of 'The Rosie Project'. I enjoyed it and was enlightened by seeing the world through Elvira's eyes. It was a story full of heart.
belle ☆ミ (mybookcastle)
it's impossible to not feel anything for elvira carr. a young lady who's Condition was left undiagnosed for 27 years. elvira had been sheltered her entire life because she was different from others. her mother kept her under strict scrutiny due to past Incidents. so when her mother was sent to care after suffering from a stroke, elvira has to learn from ground up. she came up with 7 rules to help her go through the time without anyone there to support her other than a neighbour. her father had d ...more
Karen Barber
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie has got used to doing things her mother’s way. At twenty-seven she has her routine and it’s her mum’s belief that Ellie’s condition prevents her from doing anything you might expect her to. She has a narrow constrained existence (it could even be considered abusive) and she seems content to go along with it.
Autism is never explicitly mentioned, but the behaviours Ellie exhibits tick off a rather stereotypical list of Asperger’s characteristics. With no two people likely to be sharing the s
Ankur
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captivated me from the very first page. This story about a neurodivergent girl in England dealing with a gamut of changes and how she manages through all her various ordeals. It's a comedy, it's a drama, it's a mystery, and ultimately, it's one of the best books I've read in a long time.

This will be one that I recommend to everyone. Would love to read it again, knowing how it all turns out, for all the clues that were dropped throughout the book. Keeping this review super vague on purp
Andrea
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The seven imperfect rules of Elvira Carr was a fantastic book. I loved Elvira or Ellie has a narrator. She is 27 and has a condition which is Aspergers. Her mother is a widow and her sole companion, suffers from a stroke leaving ellie & her lovely neighbour Sylvia to sort out life without her around. Ellie comes up with rules to help sort her out in social settings as she branches out of her sheltered life. She ends up uncovering some life altering information and creating new friendships an ...more
JanieH
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like 4.5 stars ... a fun, fast read that will not disappoint if you like contemporary fiction about fearless women taking on the world against the odds.
Siobhan
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Seven Imperfect Rules of Elvira Carr is a memorable and touching novel about being neuroatypical and having to adjust to the unpredictability of life. Elvira is twenty-seven and lives with her mother since her father—who was often away on trips—passed away. She has a “Condition” and her mother has a number of rules to keep Elvira safe. But when her mother has a stroke and has to go into a care home, Elvira has to make her own rules and find ways to navigate the world whilst uncovering the se ...more
Mandy Smith
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was brilliant! Have been looking for something like this for awhile,after reading Elisabeth is missing I wanted something similar but couldn’t find anything until I spotted this,it did not disappoint! Loved Elvira,this book made me laugh and want to cry,it also makes you think of the way we speak and how we treat people that may be different. Elvira is neuro atypical,some would say special needs or disabled but she was very clever and capable! She has lived with her mother all her life and ...more
Rahni
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars

Another reviewer declared that she fell in love with Elvira on page 1 and her delight never ceased. For me, it took well over 80 pages, but once I felt truly connected to Elvira, her perspective, and her circumstances, then the pages started to turn easily and I felt invested and engaged. To the reviewer who declared that everyone was unfailingly kind in the book and there were no obstacles in her path . . . May I kindly suggest that you are reviewing the wrong book? I can’t fathom ho
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The History Of Us
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Yuki Means Happiness
  • Beautiful Mess
I teach English part-time to adults with learning difficulties, including Asperger's.
I'm married with one grown-up daughter and live in Dorset, on the south coast of England. I also spend time in Blackheath, south-east London.
The Seven Imperfect Rules of Elvira Carr is my first novel. It was runner-up in the Good Housekeeping 2014 First Novel Award and shortlisted for both the 2016 Mslexia First