Start by marking “Team Phison” as Want to Read:
Team Phison

Team Phison

For 55-year-old Phil Hutton, finding a new boyfriend is tough, especially since he’s still hurting from his ex leaving him for a younger man. Online dating has been a soul-crushing experience for the restaurant owner. Too many meat-haters interested in microbreweries or something called geocaching. His matches in the multiplayer for his favorite video game have been equall ...more
Published August 15th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Team Phison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Team Phison

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**
***4.75 Stars***

HEAR YE!! HEAR YE!! ---> GO AND BUY THIS BOOK AND READ THE CRAP OUT OF IT!

Told entirely from Phil's POV, this book had me smiling from ear to ear for damn near the entire time I was reading. I swear I think I highlighted more than half the book!! ♥ ♥

Phil is snarky, yet charming...and naturally I immediately fell in love with him!

Here's my darling Phil after he was stood up by someone he met on an online dating app. Phil called the guy to see if he was still coming, but the
Chasia Lloyd
I wrote this lmao. I think it's pretty cool.

Safety and preparation are pretty important to me. I've got content warnings upfront in the book, but I thought I would list them here too (and I will add on if someone points out something that could be triggering):

- excessive swearing
- alcohol use
- one character isn't on good terms with his family (not cuz he's queer tho)

Chapters with sexually explicit scenes are noted with an asterisk so you can skip over them (or skip straight to them).

If you have
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

What do you get when you combine a hardworking, 55 year old crank with a goofy, southern, sweetheart half his age? Team Phison, of course! :D

Phil and Tyson meet gaming online. They team up game after game, night after night. Playing and talking and sharing bits and pieces of their lives. And believe me—Phil hates chit chat while gaming, but somehow Tyson finds a way in. Their friendship begins to grow outside the game as well with texting, skyping, and calling. I loved it! They share, listen, an
Elsa Bravante
Una novella may/december encantadora. Aunque no soy muy fan de la diferencia de edad de los protagonistas (55-28) la autora consigue en pocas páginas contarnos una historia llena de encanto, ternura, risas, con un toque en ocasiones un tanto melancólico. Poco texto pero dos personajes totalmente definidos, sacados de nuestra vida real, que tienen la suerte de encontrarse, esta vez gracias a los juegos on line y las redes sociales.
Te deja con una sonrisa la cara y viendo un rayito de esperanza de
Meep
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-difference
2.5*

I like the writing and would read another by this author. It's light and engaging.

But I can't get past the age difference. Phil is 14yrs older than me while his love interest Tyson is 13yrs younger than me; kept thinking that. Almost thirty years between them. Generally I'm all for differences complimenting each other but I've got to be honest I didn't see that here. Tyson brought some life back to tired, ageing, stuck in his ways, vaguely snotty Phil. But I don't get Tyson's attraction to P
Apolishedreader
This book landed squarely on my radar recently because I know the best bookish people. It is times like these when I know that I made the right decisions in life.

This was such a cute and sweet read. Have I mentioned that I love books that feature relationships that develop online? No?Well, I do. And if you have recs that fit the bill - online or texting to develop a relationship, I am alllllll ears!

It is a novella, so short, but it is definitely not lacking. Each issue and characterization of e
Teal
**2.5 stars** A nicely-written story that didn't work for me because of the extreme age gap between the characters. If that wouldn't be an issue for you, you might like this book -- obviously many people did.

I enjoyed watching Phil's transformation from surly curmudgeon to a man capable of taking joy in life. However, I empathized with all his fears about being too old for Tyson, because I really felt that he was too old for Tyson. (And I say that as someone who fell in love with and married so
Pixie
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I smiled the entire time I read this.
Ariadna
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was SUCH A BLAST!

I loved how defined the characters were (given the novella length). Phil and Tyson's backstory and insecurities were established without going into info dump territory. Like, I'm in awe of how much story Verity crammed into such a small space! Especially because the whole story is told from Phil's POV.

The humor was gr8! The way it was woven into the story had me actual!LMAO.

Conflict wise, both characters made mistakes, recognized that they had stepped on it, and made
Olizia
3,5
De esas historias que nos despejan la mente y nos hacen sonreír mientras pasamos las páginas.
Para las que temen leer libros con age-gap, lo recomiendo totalmente, está muy bien logrado y eso que la diferencia de edad es fuerte, pero el pechito con con pelos blancos me pareció sexy y todo, eh!.

Zuzu
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet May/December romance between gamers who meet online.
—————
After my 8/8/18 reread I’m going from 3 stars to 4.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cute easy read. Thoroughly enjoyed this.
Allison
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites, shorts
This was wonderful! Definitely going on my list of *read when you need to smile and feel all the warm fuzzies*.
There isn't anything I didn't love about this book! I'm not a huge fan of age gaps, especially huge gaps, but this made me believe that it didn't and shouldn't matter. Phil and Tyson are both just the best ever! I love that neither of them are gorgeous, possibly not even that conventionally attractive, but to each other they are beautiful. I love how they met, became friends, and slowl
X ✚ Black Magic Reviews
4.75 out of 5 stars

The world is going to shite. Life as we know it is basically all burning, all the time. My brain screams 24/7.

Which is why TEAM PHISON was exactly the read I needed to take my mind off things for a while, and leave me with a feel-good smile that lasted for days.

Phil Hutton is many things: a cynic, a restaurant owner, a gamer, a firm disbeliever in romantic connections after a bad relationship burn. One thing Phil isn't is over the hill, but good luck convincing him that 55 is
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
This story follows Phil who is a 55-year old restaurant owner who is looking for a new boyfriend. He has been hurt in the past by a boyfriend and isn’t 100% sure how to move on. Phil has been doing some dating, but hasn’t found anyone right. Tyson is a 28-year-old from Georgia who meets Phil while playing a game online. The two develop a friendship by playing the game together and the story unfolds from there.

I enjoyed the author’s comments at the end of the chapters that gave a very personal to
Diana
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, steamy, and utterly heartwarming, Team Phison takes m/m fans down the occasionally-bumpy road of age gaps and online relationships. Narrator Phil is a jaded fifty-something, still coiled protectively around his last broken heart and filling his days with first-person shooters and the odd attempt at dating apps. Tyson is the friendly, big-hearted Bulldog whose dark hair and Georgia accent Phil can’t stop thinking about--even if Tyson happens to be about twenty years younger. Flirty banter ...more
Clare
Well hello teeny-tiny novella that massively surpassed all my expectations.

I needed a bit of a pick-me-up and this looked like a nice easy read.

I thought I’d made a huge mistake when it turned out that the MC was a grumpy judgemental arsehole about game newbies (I’m shit at gaming, ask my son).

Thankfully I carried on, because it was something special seeing this curmudgeon find his soulmate through the medium of an online FPS. And yeah, some people do deserve to be judged on those games ;)

Despit
Reread: September 2018
Read: November 2017

___________________________
omg this was the cutest thing ever
Rhode
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved all the realistic touches - the settings, the typically awful online dating meetings, their restaurant jobs, the gaming, etc. I also loved that neither man is super gorgeous - they seem like regular guys.

The age difference? Not my thing at all, but it was handled well.

I love romances where people feel like real people in real settings though (and there are sadly too few of them) so I’m a fan of this despite the age thing.
Shan(Littleirishbookcat)
I would just like to point out that this was the Cutest romance I’ve read all year. It’s so soft and sweet, I smiled from ear to ear throughout the whole book.
Naomi
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so much fun! I liked everything about it! I'm still smiling.
Rain Merton
This novella is absolute loveliness and it's left me wanting more of these characters, the setting, and this author's writing.

Recommended.
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
This was an absolute pleasure to read from start to finish. Team Phison gave me all the cute vibes and strong emotions as the same time and I couldn't have asked for more from this book.

With a May/December relationship, Team Phison really captivated my attention and it kept it throughout the whole book with smart dialogue and cute scenes between the main protagonists. It is also good to note that Phil, the main POV, is a restaurateur and actually knows so much about the kitchen. Plus Tyson works
Courtney
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my second read. For a short book, a lot of character depth is packed in to the story. Both main characters are average guys - no six-pack abs here - but they are so INTO each other that you see the beauty through their eyes. There is some understandable hesitation about the significant age gap, but they're just so good for each other that it's pretty much a non-issue. Really cute, fun read.
Anke
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very nice, engaging story and it had me smiling a lot. And that despite all that gaming talk, which I couldn't get into as I'm no gamer at all. But the story itself was so cute, the gaming mumbo jumbo didn't take away any of my reading fun!

Jennifer Lee Rossman
Full disclaimer: I was provided with an eArc in exchange for an honest review. And I know the author (but I'm trying not to be biased).

I'm reviewing a contemporary romance? What?
It's true, I don't usually care too much romance unless it's set on a spaceship or involves magic, but a) the description calls it funny and geeky, and b) the author wrote my favorite story in Circuits & Slippers, so I knew the writing would be excellent.
And I was not disappointed.
This is a cute story about two guys
WhatAStrangeDuck
Heh, that was a cute one Team Phison. You guys know that I'm not all that much into sweet romance but this one here between a 55 year old curmudgeon and a 28 year old goofball just hit the spot right now. It's written in 1st pers. present tense which usually sends me running for the hills but here it works just fine. The narrator, Phil, is just so hilariously grumpy. It's a novella but it also only costs a buck, so go check it out. First time author. I'll keep an eye on them.
Rachel
8/15/18
Per author Chace Verity
"🎂TEAM PHISON released one year ago today!🎂

For the next 36 hours or so, you can grab a copy of TEAM PHISON for free on Instafreebie! If you haven't gotten to read this geeky May-Dec m/m romance, now is a great time!"

Melyna
This came highly recommended and now I know why. This is a wonderful story. It has an age-gap relationship that works beautifully. I enjoyed the contrast between the main characters, their age difference, their careers, how they see themselves and how they see each other. It was so sweet. Definitely a keeper and one I would read again.
Chace Verity (she/they) is publishing queer as heck stories with a strong romantic focus, although queer friendships and found families are important too. Chace prefers to write fantasy but dabbles in contemporary and historical fiction as well. An American citizen & Canadian permanent resident, Chace will probably never be able to call a gallon of milk a "four-liter."