Start by marking “The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job” as Want to Read:

Technical Knowledge Alone Isn't Enough - Increase Your Software Development Income by Leveling Up Your Soft Skills

Early in his software developer career, John Sonmez discovered that technical knowledge alone isn't enough to break through to the next income level - developers need "soft skills" like the ability to learn new technologies just in time, communicate clearly

Published July 12th 2017 by Simple Programmer

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide

Start your review of The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job
Lori Lalonde
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have read many career development books and this book doesn't come close to providing the wealth of knowledge that others have.

The author's attempt to tackle the diversity and inclusion issues prevalent in the tech industry with Chapter 47 missed the mark. Focusing solely on women in tech, this chapter read like one from the Mad Men era of the 1950s, advising women not to get offended easily by offensive jokes and comments and to use their womanly charms to their advantage ("if you've got it,
huzeyfe
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The time I decided to buy this book, I was gonna skim through all the chapters and if anything I fancy, I would read. However, it turned out, I’ve read every single word in this book, as it is written in a unique way with an entertaining tone. In many ways, it was influential for me. Strongly recommend anyone who is planning career in software industry or already on their way of this journey.
Tadas Talaikis
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haha, noticed the author only after downloading it to Kindle.

Learning first language. Good point that today it is more important to know th libraries than the language. Languages are easy and fast to learn when you're psychologically prepared, but getting to know countless libraries/ frameworks can kill you, like trying to decide which technology to use for some specific problem.

Can't agree that language isn't that important, because they differ in performance and server loads. If that would bee
Chris Witt
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you are a software developer (or aspiring SD) and are looking for a book that will give you some good advice but is written in the tone of an absolute attention whore, this is the book for you.

It's his right to do it, but be prepared to slog through a plug for the writer's website every 5 pages and a mention of his abs every 20 pages.

Part advice book, part Tinder profile.
Liana
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I wish I had read the book when I was just starting out as a software developer. It would save me much time and nerves.
Today I've already figured out most of the things in the book, but I still enjoyed it very much. It was a very inspiring and motivating read.
I really liked the chapter about debugging. It contains a very useful advice about not using debugger unless you're absolutely desperate.
Lloyd
I wish I had this book year ago! Even now it will serve a lot of value as I can recommend it to others.
Hannah Jones Sánchez
Oct 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Where do I start? Honestly, the best advice I got from this dude was to return the book and get a refund.

In all honestly, I'm not a Software Developer nor am I looking to be one. But I am the HR Manager to a group of Software Developers so I've been wanting to learn more about their side of the work as to understand them better, be more empathic and do a better job of assisting them.

Yes, there is some useful information on how to write a resumé, an easy breakdown of technologies and developmen
Damian  C.
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the very few books I'd recommend in getting both audio and physical copy.
Megan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on Audible. Here's a copy of the review I posted there:

Halfway through listening to this book I texted my friend that it felt like I got accidentally let into a boy's club meeting I am not supposed to be at. Don't get me wrong-- I loved this book. It was really helpful, I learned a ton, and it was definitely worth the listen. The extra materials you get access to are also definitely worth it. However...

As a woman who is pursuing a career in software development, I felt as
Dblinkzz
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most impressive thing about this book is that it's more than 1,000 pages long,this is a long book, it's the second book the author releases and the author also has numerous pluralsight courses (like hundreds of hours of conent actually) he also has a youtube channel, a blog, some applications he has developed for the real world, he lifts weights and other stuff like that, and so basically in the book he talks about being productive, how to maximize your efficiency, how to be more productive ...more
Dustin
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tons of advice for people in all stages of their career

This is one of those books I wish I knew about earlier in my career. Its jam packed with tactics and information. Its also extremely long. Fortunately, each chapter is independent, so it's easy to skip around and find whats relevant to you now.
Majid Hajian
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like John and i recommend his books, he has done a very good job until he got where he is now.
Marcin Czarkowski
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John Sonmez, you did it again! Game changing book that already had and will have a big impact on my life and career. So much wisdom in such a easy read - gonna recommend it to all my devfriends.
Yan
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I had the audible book and it was >20 hours of slow pain. What I came out of was knowing practical knowledge that seemed common sense in the technical workforce and knowledge I had before hearing the book. John Sonmez was great in keeping the audience engaged in a very long book but I learned more about him than practical knowledge to use in the industry.

John is a self defense contractor who was able to re-negotiate his own contract by going on an interview with a government contractor who was a
Taro
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, life-skills, audio, career
This gigantic, 800-page tome, The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job, should be regarded as a standard self-help book, repackaged for software programmers looking to make careers mainly in the old-school corporate environment--think IBM and HP (but not Google or Facebook). To some extent, that means software development has become a regular job, just like all other corp ...more
Stephen Bennett
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well rounded

Enjoyed reading John's book. Good information written in an easy to read style. Got me to try blogging and thinking about that 'side project' that I need to finish!
Randy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a lot of technical info (not what it's about), but many good starting points and direction for people starting in this field. Useful to me in deciding how to further my knowledge and get more purposeful about furthering my career in software development.
Sharathkumar
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beacon to software developers around the world. It talks about all the aspects of software developer career which helps one to succeed.

This should not be one time read. This book should be read again and again. It's a guide to which you refer whenever you are stuck in your career.
Abhijit Ghatnekar
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Influential book. Picked it at a time when I felt I have just hit a glass ceiling in my career. Not only does this explain what you need to do to move up in your career, many of its principles are applicable in life too..
Martin Zane
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Since I am about to finish high school and start looking for a software developer job I needed a resource that could explain to me the bigger picture of software development and get some, but hopefully most of my questions answered. I had a lot of questions about the programming world. I was very confused. But thankfully I got this book by John Sonmez, which helped me become a lot more clear about my path.

The Complete Software Developer’s Career Guide covers an enormous amount of topics, everyt
Roman
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every software developer, whether aspiring, intermediate or experienced should read this book. In fact, Complete Software Developer's Career Guide should be required reading along with the other classics, like Code Complete, Clean Code, Design Patters and Mythical Man Month to name a few. John Sonmez is living proof that setting goals, working hard and persisting can help you achieve anything you set your mind on. This guy lives what he preaches. He is a successful real estate investor, speaker, ...more
Vojtěch Růžička
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are just starting your career this book is great. It gives you a good high-level picture of the software development in general. And it teaches you some important habits, which will benefit you much, especially if you embrace them early on. However, despite the name, it cannot be used as a Definitive guide – the range of topics covered is so wide that each topic is covered not in much depth. Given the number of topics, it wouldn’t even be possible as you could write whole books about each ...more
Faeez
Jul 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Not enough good info

Too much fluff too little valuable information. The actual content can be reduced to one third the size of the book if the author or the editors took out all the fillers. Even then the content is not that great.
Take the chapter on the recruitment industry for example. Nothing new there. I was very disappointed. Consider this piece of info. When the headhunters call you, sometimes they are all competing to get you submitted to the same position at the same client. What I hav
Nikko Mernaci
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent primer

This book gives a good overview, big picture description of software development as a career. The biggest flaw in the book comes from its lack of editing. It could have likely been cut in half if it cut all the unnecessary language in which John tries to be cute. Its sloppily edited. including heavy use of bold text, sometimes making you wonder why a certain thing was highlighted and not another and there are grammatical errors here and there. This book desperately needs to be rev
Anthony
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for someone like me, who is thinking of what working in the industry is like. Knowing nothing about programming, I went through a couple of Python textbooks and intended to get competent at it, but changed my mind after going through the first part of this manual.
Key points:
Software development is a large field. There is no way one can be good at everything, so it helps to choose a specialty and stick to it.
Set up a goal and a blueprint of how you are going to achieve it.
First, lea
Deepak Prathapani
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
Lots of advise and lots of references. It touches many important subjects like advancing your career or getting a job in general. I wish I had read the book when I was just starting out as a software developer. It would save me much time and nerves.

One thing that was particularly disturbing was that the Author uses every opportunity throughout his book to link back to his own site and constantly refers to his work (too much self promotion of his blog and courses on pluralsight).

Although I would
Sufen Fong
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very clear and concise overview of software engineering (methodologies, programming languages, testing, source control etc). Holistic view of the profession - included best practices on what it takes to thrive in the software industry. Overall, bite sized nuggets on a variety of topics - suitable for people who are exploring careers in the software industry or who want to get a quick refresher on software concepts.
Rafi Barash
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of useful tips, but the author doesn’t really describe anything in detail. There is also way too much self promotion of his blog in this book. Certain sections were nice to read, but I would use this book as an introductory reference to certain topics like navigating source control and getting hired as a software developer, rather than as a read through book.
Ranjith Kumar
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read book for software engineers who need to progress in their career. Even though I didn't like the author way of using hell lot of links to his blog - yet it is a good overall read from the industry veteran.

The author not just talk about technology - which is minor part in this book rather he talks about all around things which involves in the life of a software engineer.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Code Complete
  • Algorithms to Live By: The Computer Science of Human Decisions
  • The Self-Taught Programmer: The Definitive Guide to Programming Professionally
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • Eloquent JavaScript: A Modern Introduction to Programming
  • Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills that Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed
  • You Don't Know JS: Up & Going
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • The Way of Men
  • Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Advancement only comes with habitually doing more than you are asked.” —Gary Ryan Blair” 4 likes
“So many people set off in a direction in life but don’t think things completely through first.” 3 likes