Start by marking “The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide: How to Learn Programming Languages Quickly, Ace Your Programming Interview, and Land Your Software Developer Dream Job” as Want to Read:

Technical Knowledge Alone Isn't Enough - Increase Your Software Development Income by Leveling Up Your Soft Skills

Early in his software developer career, John Sonmez discovered that technical knowledge alone isn't enough to break through to the next income level - developers need "soft skills" like the ability to learn new technologies just in time, communicate clearly w

Published July 12th 2017 by Simple Programmer

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide

Lori Lalonde
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I have read many career development books and this book doesn't come close to providing the wealth of knowledge that others have.

The author's attempt to tackle the diversity and inclusion issues prevalent in the tech industry with Chapter 47 missed the mark. Focusing solely on women in tech, this chapter read like one from the Mad Men era of the 1950s, advising women not to get offended easily by offensive jokes and comments and to use their womanly charms to their advantage ("if you've got it,
Sadra Aliabadi
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 97
کتابی نیست که بخوام توصیه کنم به کسی. بعضی فصلاش رو اسکیپ کردم چون مشخصا ربطی به من نداشت. در هر حال از خوندنش پشیمون نیستم. اینجاهم یه نوشته دارم: چگونه برنامه نویس شویم؟
بعضی از ایدههای کتاب رو توی اون نوشته مطرح کردم.

huzeyfe
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The time I decided to buy this book, I was gonna skim through all the chapters and if anything I fancy, I would read. However, it turned out, I’ve read every single word in this book, as it is written in a unique way with an entertaining tone. In many ways, it was influential for me. Strongly recommend anyone who is planning career in software industry or already on their way of this journey.
Tadas Talaikis
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Haha, noticed the author only after downloading it to Kindle.

Learning first language. Good point that today it is more important to know th libraries than the language. Languages are easy and fast to learn when you're psychologically prepared, but getting to know countless libraries/ frameworks can kill you, like trying to decide which technology to use for some specific problem.

Can't agree that language isn't that important, because they differ in performance and server loads. If that would bee
Liana
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I wish I had read the book when I was just starting out as a software developer. It would save me much time and nerves.
Today I've already figured out most of the things in the book, but I still enjoyed it very much. It was a very inspiring and motivating read.
I really liked the chapter about debugging. It contains a very useful advice about not using debugger unless you're absolutely desperate.
Lloyd Dewolf
I wish I had this book year ago! Even now it will serve a lot of value as I can recommend it to others.
Damian  C.
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the very few books I'd recommend in getting both audio and physical copy.
Megan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on Audible. Here's a copy of the review I posted there:

Halfway through listening to this book I texted my friend that it felt like I got accidentally let into a boy's club meeting I am not supposed to be at. Don't get me wrong-- I loved this book. It was really helpful, I learned a ton, and it was definitely worth the listen. The extra materials you get access to are also definitely worth it. However...

As a woman who is pursuing a career in software development, I felt as
Dblinkzz
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most impressive thing about this book is that it's more than 1,000 pages long,this is a long book, it's the second book the author releases and the author also has numerous pluralsight courses (like hundreds of hours of conent actually) he also has a youtube channel, a blog, some applications he has developed for the real world, he lifts weights and other stuff like that, and so basically in the book he talks about being productive, how to maximize your efficiency, how to be more productive ...more
Dustin
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tons of advice for people in all stages of their career

This is one of those books I wish I knew about earlier in my career. Its jam packed with tactics and information. Its also extremely long. Fortunately, each chapter is independent, so it's easy to skip around and find whats relevant to you now.
Marcin Czarkowski
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John Sonmez, you did it again! Game changing book that already had and will have a big impact on my life and career. So much wisdom in such a easy read - gonna recommend it to all my devfriends.
Stephen Bennett
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well rounded

Enjoyed reading John's book. Good information written in an easy to read style. Got me to try blogging and thinking about that 'side project' that I need to finish!
Chris Witt
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you are a software developer (or aspiring SD) and are looking for a book that will give you some good advice but is written in the tone of an absolute attention whore, this is the book for you.

It's his right to do it, but be prepared to slog through a plug for the writer's website every 5 pages and a mention of his abs every 20 pages.

Part advice book, part Tinder profile.
Sergey Teplyakov
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Roman
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every software developer, whether aspiring, intermediate or experienced should read this book. In fact, Complete Software Developer's Career Guide should be required reading along with the other classics, like Code Complete, Clean Code, Design Patters and Mythical Man Month to name a few. John Sonmez is living proof that setting goals, working hard and persisting can help you achieve anything you set your mind on. This guy lives what he preaches. He is a successful real estate investor, speaker, ...more
Vojtěch Růžička
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are just starting your career this book is great. It gives you a good high-level picture of the software development in general. And it teaches you some important habits, which will benefit you much, especially if you embrace them early on. However, despite the name, it cannot be used as a Definitive guide – the range of topics covered is so wide that each topic is covered not in much depth. Given the number of topics, it wouldn’t even be possible as you could write whole books about each ...more
Nikko Mernaci
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
A decent primer

This book gives a good overview, big picture description of software development as a career. The biggest flaw in the book comes from its lack of editing. It could have likely been cut in half if it cut all the unnecessary language in which John tries to be cute. Its sloppily edited. including heavy use of bold text, sometimes making you wonder why a certain thing was highlighted and not another and there are grammatical errors here and there. This book desperately needs to be rev
R7835
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, calibre
A nice, easy read with well categorised topics. A lot of the advice I'm looking forward to applying, and I've already started trying to put into practice a lot of the advice given in section 4. In fact, a lot of the best advice given in this book could apply to not just software developers, and the author covers a lot of the advice given in many self-help books but in a much more succinct way (I've read many self-help books that manage to stretch a chapters worth of advice into a 200 page book). ...more
Deepak Prathapani
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: academic
Lots of advise and lots of references. It touches many important subjects like advancing your career or getting a job in general. I wish I had read the book when I was just starting out as a software developer. It would save me much time and nerves.

One thing that was particularly disturbing was that the Author uses every opportunity throughout his book to link back to his own site and constantly refers to his work (too much self promotion of his blog and courses on pluralsight).

Although I would
William Oliveira
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Achei o livro excelente em diversos aspectos quando se trata a direcionamento de carreira, mas fiquei chateado que, em alguns pontos, o autor deixa de se aprofundar no assunto em que está falando no livro pra indicar um curso de sua plataforma, um artigo que ele escreveu ou algo do tipo. Bem marketeiro.

Acho um livro legal para pessoas que querem aprender e crescer na área de programação, mas terá que entender que tem esses pontos no livro e, se você relevar, vai conseguir colher informações bem
Ranjith Kumar
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Must read book for software engineers who need to progress in their career. Even though I didn't like the author way of using hell lot of links to his blog - yet it is a good overall read from the industry veteran.

The author not just talk about technology - which is minor part in this book rather he talks about all around things which involves in the life of a software engineer.
Sharathkumar
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a beacon to software developers around the world. It talks about all the aspects of software developer career which helps one to succeed.

This should not be one time read. This book should be read again and again. It's a guide to which you refer whenever you are stuck in your career.
Rafi Barash
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A lot of useful tips, but the author doesn’t really describe anything in detail. There is also way too much self promotion of his blog in this book. Certain sections were nice to read, but I would use this book as an introductory reference to certain topics like navigating source control and getting hired as a software developer, rather than as a read through book.
Ilknur
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Good insights into the performance reviews and other factors that people generally do not know even after spending years working for organizations. As a woman, I noticed it was written by a man for men but some issues are universal regardless of gender, so I just took a note of those novel points that were not obvious to me in my professional life and filtered out the rest.
Debashish Mishra
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a good book. However the author's unparliamentary words at every chapter makes it very uncomfortable to listen in a team environment. That is the primary reason of not giving it a five star rating.
Randy
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a lot of technical info (not what it's about), but many good starting points and direction for people starting in this field. Useful to me in deciding how to further my knowledge and get more purposeful about furthering my career in software development.
Piotr Piotrowski
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book for every software developer (and wannabe software developer). It touches many important subjects like advancing your career or getting a job in general.
Worth to read and reread. And it is not a one-timer.
Kevin Godinho
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. John is very inspiring. Even if you are not looking into becoming a software developer, this book has a ton of insights on how to be successful and what it takes to start something from scratch. He has a lot of great recommendations from books to taking action.
muhammed almutairy
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book for starters

He had guided me to the road I should follow.

He explained the Software Developers world.

He gave some toolkits that helped me in the road of Technologies
Tristian Paul
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very extensive, covers lots of areas

Great book, as a somewhat experienced dev(9 yrs), some chapters we’re really for those with less experience, I think around chapter 40/60 is when the good stuff started. Has good nontechnical advice and experience anecdata.

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Advancement only comes with habitually doing more than you are asked.” —Gary Ryan Blair” 4 likes
“So many people set off in a direction in life but don’t think things completely through first.” 2 likes