Start by marking “The Doctor's Discretion” as Want to Read:
The Doctor's Discretion

The Doctor's Discretion

New York City, 1831.

Passion, medicine and a plan to break the law ...

When Doctor William Blackwood, a proper gentleman who prefers books to actual patients, meets retired Navy surgeon Doctor Augustus Hill, they find in each other not just companionship but the chance of pleasure--and perhaps even more. The desire between them is undeniable but their budding relationship is
Published November 28th 2017 by Pronoun

To ask other readers questions about The Doctor's Discretion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctor's Discretion

Start your review of The Doctor's Discretion
K.J. Charles
A marvellous romance set in 1830s New York between William Blackwood, a doctor who prefers administrative work, and Augustus Hill, an ex Navy surgeon. William is a quiet retiring man, in part because of the ghastly social pressure because of being black in this rotten era. He trained in Glasgow and struggles to establish himself back in the US. Augustus is a firecracker: impulsive, opinionated, full of energy, action and passion. They hit it off immediately, but their barely-started relationship ...more
Kaje Harper
In this story we meet two gay doctors in New York of 1831. Researcher Doctor William Blackwood is a black man, educated in Scotland because no US college would accept him. Retired Navy surgeon Doctor Augustus Hill is a practicing physician who lost a hand in action with the Navy. Brought together by a job curating a medical library, they quickly realize they have more in common than their profession.

Augustus also works part time at the New York Hospital, and he is distressed to discover that a
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I really wanted to love this, if for nothing other than how incredibly diverse it was — with the primary characters being a black gay man, a white gay intersex and disabled man, and another white intersex man (presumably gay but I don't think it was ever confirmed?). Unfortunately, the plot that should have been thrilling just played out as a bit boring, and the writing wasn't very enjoyable for me.

It needs a lot of editing, which is not a big issue for me (I read a lot of indie work that
Aleksandra
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars!

Love the book so much! One of the best romances and hist fiction I've read.

The Doctor's Discretion is romance standalone novel about two doctors set in 1831, New York City. The main characters are Dr William Blackwood and Dr Augustus Hill. The novel is about them meeting on a library project, falling in love and also saving an innocent man from asylum along the way. The writing is great, the characters are complex and likable, the plot has twists and turns and there's so much heart in
Ellie
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, that was so lovely, a passionate romance with strong mystery/suspense elements

This is my second book EE Ottoman, the first being Documenting Light, which I loved, and this one was just as good. It's a historical trans romance involving two doctors and a patient they save from being sent to an asylum for living as a trans man.

Without revealing much of the plot since there is quite an intriguing suspense/mystery there, I'd describe this story as one about empathy and compassion and kindness
Erin (PT)
The more I think about this book, the more its issues bother me. It was an enjoyable read, I had fun with it, I stayed up late to finish it...but. But.

Starting with the good: I haven't read a lot of romance with trans characters and if I'm going to to, I would absolutely prefer one written by a transgender author. And in that respect, this reads like an Own Voices story; one written by someone with experience as well as knowledge.

However, that's why it doesn't hold up as well in its depiction
Chris, the Dalek King
I was initially drawn to this story because of the MCs, and the time period in which they exist. Interracial couples in 1831 are not exactly common storybook fodder, and it is one of the first historical stories that has a intersex(??) main character that I’ve read, so I was really excited to get my hands on it.

Set in New York City, this is the story of two doctors, William Blackwood and Augustus Hill. Both are a bit outside the considered norm. William being a black man trying to make his way
Mel González
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This was absolutely marvelous, I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this. It has the perfect balance of a lot of different and important topics like romance between two men, racial relations, racism, transphobia, among a lot of other things. It had an incredibly interesting plot and I was immediately invested in their relationship and the adventures that they went on. All the things that they had to do in order to live a
Karen Wellsbury
Full review/ chat about this book to follow on blog.

The relationship between Augustus and William was lovely, and the depiction of New York was colourful and vivid, however I found how the story unfolded rather telley, and the ending too simple and abrupt for me.

Review/ discussion here
monika
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, mm-trans, lgbtq
..an intriguing book and so tender but passionate romance!
Dumbledore11214
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.9 Stars

Truly an interesting read; I wish more of the plot had centered on Augustus and William and them figuring out why a deceased doctor neither had met chose them to catalogue his book & specimen collection, or with both of them addressing the discrimination they each faced or the reticence their "new" thoughts and procedures for medicine would cause - as they would likely face extreme push-back from the whole staff in their new roles at the end of the book.

That's not to say the bit
Cat M
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, but somewhat distant-feeling historical romance set in the 1850s.

cw: arrest and misgendering of a non-pov trans male character and threat of institutionalization and medical abuse of said character. pov character reacting poorly to his sexual partner disclosing that he is trans.

I really like both William and Augustus and I love that, while they are both doctors, they have very different focuses and experiences. And there is a richness of historical accuracy here that is a pleasure
Mel
Nov 30, 2017 marked it as maybe
Okay, so... I started this yesterday and made it 10% in. I am not sure whether I actually dnf'ed it at this point or whether I will come back to it, but both scenarios are not what I expected since I have liked/loved every other book EE has written so far.

My issue is that the protagonist, who is a black, constantly reflects about discrimination that has happened to him at one point or did not happen now, although it usually did, and so on. I don't think that the discrimination is in any way
Trin
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Captivating -- I read it in one sitting. The plot unfortunately deflates a bit at the end, abruptly running up against a slightly too convenient conclusion, but while it's humming along, it is interesting and different and great. Also, and I say this as someone who is very picky about these things: this book is genuinely sexy.
retro
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
The blurb sounded so interesting: an interracial romance between a black man and a transman set in 1830s New York? Sign me up! Tack on a race against time to save a man unjustly confined to an asylum and I was so ready to love this.

The story starts off well enough: Blackwood and Hill are brought together to catalog a Doctor Russell's collection of specimens and notes after the man's death. Neither have met him and yet here they are, working together in close quarters in his big, drafty house
Misty
** 4.5 Stars **

What a wonderful surprise this novel was! It encapsulates everything you could want in a story : an intriguing theme, well-drawn and unusual characters and an excellent plot with the right amount of angst. I think Augustus & William would have been fun to have around a little longer. I suppose this is a common phenomenon, that feeling of not wanting a good book to end. Highly recommended!
Talia Hibbert
This book was absolutely fantastic. The setting was fabulous. So many historical romances revolve around Regency England, and that's lovely too, but this was really refreshing!

In fact, everything about this book was refreshing. One of the heroes is trans and disabled; the other is black. The plot was so exciting and heartbreaking (in a good way), and really took full advantage of the exciting time and place. 1830s New York was fascinating, and Ottoman's writing was so immersive!

The writing
Skye Kilaen
Solid historical romance centering trans issues from E.E. Ottoman, whose work I've enjoyed before. The romance part of it didn't quite sweep me away for whatever reason (my heart is a stone?) but I enjoyed the book! I would definitely read The Continuing Adventures of Doctors Blackwood and Hill to watch them grow as a couple while reforming the heck out of hospitals or whatever. (Or if Mr. Moss got his own book, absolutely.)

I was also thrilled to see the following quote, in contrast to the
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
Set in New York in 1831, this romance between two doctors - one a black gay cisgender man and the other a white transgender man - is absolutely lovely in so many ways. It’s tender and gentle, and extraordinarily good at the interpersonal relationships at the heart of the story. I was really rooting for Augustus and William, who made such a perfect fit together.

The story, however, was somewhat lacking. It starts off well, with a daring plot to rescue another trans man from New York City Asylum,
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
RTC
I really liked this. Well developed plot & full of sexy scenes. :)
Anwen Hayward
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Doctors Augustus Hill and William Blackwood meet when they're asked to archive and catalogue a medical estate, but when Augustus discovers that his hospital is holding a 'true hermaphrodite' (the hospital's words, not his / mine) patient against his will as a sensationalist object of ridicule, the two of them join forces to stage a hospital rescue, prison break style, and their own secrets are revealed along the way.

Ottoman is very, very good at invoking a historical setting and using it to
Heather
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
There was a decent book here, but it was buried under a mountain of terrible editing. Duplicated words, missing words, words transposed into the middle of sentences. Characters' names changing spelling without reason. "Patients" used when "patience" was meant. It was...aggravating, to say the least.

I don't generally mind an error or two, I know that they happen. But this was egregious, and there was something on almost every page. If Ottoman paid an editor for this, he needs to get his money
Alison
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was great. I really enjoyed it. It's a very hopeful story about two doctors in 1830s New York and their adventures, as well as their budding romance. Ottoman's stories are always a treat.
Alex
When Doctor William Blackwood and Doctor Augustus Hill meet neither of them expects there to be more between them than the professionalism their work requires. But they discover soon that there is the chance for intimacy, and maybe more.

But before they can find out where their relationship may lead them, Mr. Moss arrives at New York Hospital, where Doctor Hill works. He is accused of being born a woman but living his life as a man. Doctor Hill decides to help him, and Doctor Blackwood is only
Sophie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very compelling historical novel set in New York in 1831, about two doctors who meet when they are asked to catalogue a medical collection. William Blackwood is a free black man who underwent his medical training in Europe while Augustus Hill used to be a Navy surgeon who is now working at New York Hospital. The two men are immediately attracted to each other, but when a certain patient is brought to the hospital where Augustus works they end up tumbling into the middle of an ...more
Amy Aelleah
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this book a lot, mostly because it deals with things that I don't often come across in romances much less historical romances. (Partially Mostly because when I read romances I tend to gravitate towards the fluffy ones.) But, anyway, there is a bit look at what trans people, gays and blacks would have all suffered in the eighteen thirties. (Trans is its main focus, though.) The only slight problem I had was that the narration feels a little draggy a couple of times - when the focus is ...more
Helen Kord
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, m-m, historical
The first time I saw the cover for The Doctor’s Discretion, I thought to myself “that is one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen”. After I’ve read the blurb, I knew I had to get my hands on this book.

Augustus Hill and William Blackwood are doctors working together to categorize a medical collection of a late collector. Feeling a sense of kinship and budding romance, when Henri Moss, a trans man, is jailed in the hospital Augustus works at, he turns to William for help saving him. The
Amy
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rep: disabled, trans MC and gay, black MC
TW: transphobia, ableism, homophobia, misgendering, racism

This own voices historical romance was exactly the sort of refreshing book we need in the romance genre.

I had a couple of small problems. One being the way William acted after finding out Augustus is a trans man. How he felt "betrayed" and "lied to" etc etc........*instert judging face*

I loved the romance and chemistry overall between William and Augustus.
The storyline was entertaining and the
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Proper English
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • Unfit to Print
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • It Takes Two to Tumble (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #1)
  • Band Sinister
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • The Henchmen of Zenda
  • Unmasked by the Marquess (Regency Imposters, #1)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Behind These Doors (Radical Proposals #1)
  • A Duke in Disguise (Regency Imposters, #2)
  • Wanted, A Gentleman
writes romance novels, wears pretty clothes, does history stuff.

he/him/his