Start by marking “This is How I Die: Collected Poems” as Want to Read:
This is How I Die: Collected Poems

This is How I Die: Collected Poems

In "This is How I Die", Kat Savage brings all of her previous works together under one title. Mad Woman, Anchors & Vacancies, Redamancy, and most of Throes are sectioned here to take you on a journey. From madness to love and the heartache in between, it's all here. ...more
Paperback, 1, 220 pages
Published August 1st 2017 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about This is How I Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is How I Die

Milk and Honey by Rupi KaurThe Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda LovelaceThe Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi KaurSalt by Nayyirah WaheedNo Matter the Wreckage by Sarah Kay
Varied Poetry Collections
349 books — 312 voters
Duino Elegies by Rainer Maria RilkeParadise Lost by John MiltonThe Divine Comedy by Dante AlighieriThe Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonThe Cantos by Ezra Pound
Poetry
738 books — 447 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of This is How I Die: Collected Poems
Alicia Cook
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A trend seems to be emerging...and that's collected poems. Which are, by definition, poems that have appeared in other works, now collected into another, larger work. Especially as a self-pub'd author, it's very hard to sell your work the first time around, let alone again in a different, higher priced form. HOWEVER - Kat Savage understands her readers - because she loves them. In this collected work, Savage made sure to give her readers who may already own the previous work, a new experience. I ...more
Aliaa
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, poetry
It took me awhile to finish this book and it was mostly because it was "too romantic" for me. Also because I'm in the middle of the longest yet reading slump but let's ignore that bit.
Anyways, even though this poetry collection is all about love I found myself more than a little liking it. I don't know it just felt so personal, it was almost like I knew Kat better after I finished it and for that mostly I gave it the fourth star. The poems themselves are well written but then again I'm no profe
Rehan Abd Jamil
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
We are holding hands and i don't know why. Our fingers are intertwined and i think we walk this way simply because it's the way we've always walked..it's reality right?
A.D. McCammon
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
♥️

Relatable. Powerful. Beautiful.
*I always fell in love with the unobtainable because the hurt was familiar and in so many ways, it was safe.
Briana
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always feel bad because Poetry takes me so long to get through but it's because I think you need to take your time and savor each piece for what it is. This is How I Die is Kat Savage's work put into one book that flows and takes you on an adventure through her heart. I always appreciate her work because it makes me feel and always pulls me in. I will always buy Kat Savage's work :)
Zoë Luna Lennox Micah-Montoya
let me start off by saying this is the longest poetry book i have ever read but it's multiple chapbooks in 1. i loved mad woman the first time i read it, i love it even more this time around, it continues to be my favorite chapbook. i thoroughly enjoyed this entire book
Caitlin Michelle
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-challenge
I really, really enjoyed this and felt connected to it from the start. I’ve been struggling to find strong poetry on kindle, but this one did not disappoint! Definitely one I’ll have to buy in print!
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Beautiful

In its layout, language, movement and unfolding; this is a beautiful piece of work. Thank you, Kat, for being so real and sharing your words. Looking forward to your future works!

Xo,
Rach
Jessica Katoff
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kat has such a way with words. I know that's ridiculous to say. You'd expect anyone who has the stones to publish a book to have that. But, maaaan, her talent is just... I have no words. Every piece in this book is so visceral, so well thought out, so right down in your soul. I found myself stopping and just staring at the pages so many times, looking for my name in them, because they were clearly written for me. I'm sure you will too. To have that kind of universality to your work is so rare. T ...more
Renee
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I never considered myself a poetry kind of person. Heck, I was never much of a reader. To me, Poetry was always a rhyming, "roses are red" kind of thing. I was so so wrong. I have since re-discovered poetry and much of that credit goes to Kat Savage. Her words reached through the pages, and touched my very protected heart. I saw myself and my life in so many of her poems. I don't know her personally, but it is obvious that her writing is from deep down in her soul. She didn't just give us a glim ...more
Renee
Dec 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, kindle
Fine example of the life of the self-indulgent, immature and fragile that bleeds poetry to explore their feelings. Maybe I am just tired of the youthful cliche or can't relate because my unstable relationships are not of the sexual nature but rather the familial betrayal type. Dunno... but, this just didn't speak to me. Understand, I am very happy for those who found comfort and support in her words of youth and Spring and love and betrayal... due to birth order, not all of us can readily revisi ...more
Bobbieshiann
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
“i write you into my poetry
to keep myself from dialing
your old number.
i fuck on paper
to keep from faking it
with strangers.
none of it makes you
come back to me.
but none of it erases you either”.

“i have entire oceans folded into my skin,
and my kisses taste like sea salt.
there is coral reef cliff in my heart
and this is where my lovers go
to commit suicide.
they sink into the the black abyss below
and wait patiently in piles for a lifeline
that will never come for them.
i’ve never been good
Maria
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this collection of poems slowly because I wanted to absorb all the emotion they emitted. Kat Savage is simply a wizard with words. I was mesmerized by her talent and the way the words seemed to flow effortlessly on the page. My heart felt almost every emotion it can handle while reading. I can't gush enough. This was a beautifully executed and I'm so glad I was able to read it. I'll will carry so many of her words with me, most likely on my skin.
Shannon O'Connor
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Loved

Amazing collection that shows the timeline of the authors hopeless attitude toward love & how she opens up to the idea. She describes her past romantic failures and ends with a great love who treats her right and makes you believe in love again. Showing us that even the most hopeless deserve to be happy. Beautifully written poems that hit too close to home for me personally.
Rochelle Bartee
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read work by Kat Savage I end up feeling so many emotions. She writes of love and heart ache in such a way you can't help but think of all the guys you've stumbled across in your life! most of the poems I had read from her previous works but there were. few new ones in there! absolutely beautiful work!!!
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most love, I’ve observed, is narcissism at its finest and most cunning. Love is always about how you feel but not necessarily how the other person feels. The notion that simply because you love someone they should be willing to love you in return.

I love you.
Here I am.
Love me back.

And we have the audacity to be wounded over the loss of something we never really had.
Nellie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, poetry, read-2019
There were some good poems in this book but towards the end I kind of got the sense that she was sending the message that if you get a boyfriend your whole life will get better. When your life can get better without being in a relationship. I get that’s her personal story but certain poems had that theme. Also I found two grammatical errors in the book.
Crystal Scott
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The very first poem stopped me dead in my tracks and I've been contemplating the REAL-ness of it for days! Thats poetry. relatable and makes you think. always have loved Kat Savage <3 and this book proves no different. ...more
Aude Odeh
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you couldn't tell from the title, this collection is filled with relatable pain and heart ache. It is beautifully done.

The final section of this collection is filled with joy and hope and wraps up a this journey with love and commitment and opens the future up for new adventures.
K.Y. Robinson
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage knows exactly what heartache feels like and craft words that'll rip your heart out. Every poem I read made me think of former lovers who disappointed me and left me in pieces. It was like Kat was sitting inside of my hurt and documenting everything. Wow!
Karyl Ahn White
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kat’s poetry is raw and reveals both strength and vulnerability. I love these poems and read them over and over again. So thought provoking and relatable. I cannot recommend it enough to lovers of modern poetry!
Gina
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection. I had originally just purchased the chapbook Mad Woman and quickly realized I needed more Kat Savage, I truly relate to her voice and style of writing. Kat's style is an amazing example of modern storytelling and womanhood.
Rebekah
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love her work. She is incredibly talented. Her poems are so easy to relate to and so eloquently speak the words and feelings I could never articulate.
Krystle Able
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so thrilled to have this collection. This is How I Die is a large collection, it's not a super quick read by any means. Each piece was emotional, raw, and I felt every single one. Many of the poems were completely relatable to something I had been through myself and a few even made my heart hurt a little bit, remembering things I didn't want to remember about my own past. This collection should definitely be on everyone's shelves.
MoonChild Ceres
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love and loss

These poems really good. Anyone who has every been in love or breakup can relate to these poems. I highly recommend this for poetry lovers.
Leighann Cerra
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love Kat's words!!
Lovelene Pearl
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was okay. I did skip the Mad Woman chapters because I just recently read it so I proceeded to the two other poetry by the author.
Felicia
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Kat Savage. I had already read most of these poems before because I own all of the books this collection of poems come from, but it was just as profound the second time reading.

My favorite poem from this collection is 48. It is the first one I ever noticed of Kat’s on Instagram and immediately felt drawn to it. It will always have a special meaning to me because it is what opened my eyes to this wonderful author.

Kat’s writing is so real and honest. I feel like I am experienci
Ally Guay
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The amount of highlights I have, let's this book speak for itself. Amazing. I saw myself in every line in every page. Love this poets' work. I did not want this collection of poetry to end.
Nicole Belanger
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As always, I enjoyed reading Kat Savage's collection of poems. I received this book in exchange for an honest review, and I can honestly say that her words are raw and real.It feels as though Kat has cut open her heart and bled all over the pages. And once we get through all the chaos, we get a glimpse of the beauty left behind. I loved the way the poems seemed to progress, from a broken poet to one who has finally found happiness.

I can't wait to read more!

• in the absence of the sun
  • There Is Beauty In the Bleeding
  • soft thorns
  • I Am More Than a Daydream
  • A Love Letter from the Girls Who Feel Everything
  • Burn The Fairy Tales
  • Poems For The Moon: Vol 1
  • I hope this reaches her in time
  • Her Vol. 2
  • Your Soul is a River
  • All The Things I Never Said
  • Her
  • becoming.
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.