Start by marking “Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moonlight (Dark Guardian, #1)

Moonlight

(Dark Guardian #1)

I see him and I know what this turmoil inside of me means: He's the one. My forever.

Kayla is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying-and thrilling-gene that will change her life forever.

Lucas is dangerous, gorgeous... a
Published March 3rd 2009 by HarperTeen

Mizuki

Fucking great, so you know you want to spend the rest of your life with a dude whom you had barely talked to/interacted with before when you're at the tender age of seventeen?

Not to mention, this twenty-something dude (or was he supposed to be 19?) had been eyeing the heroine and thinking about making her his mate back when she was sixteen years old.

I need to calm the fuck down.

Moonlight is a dull, extremely u
Mimi Valentine
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 stars

Ever get that giggly feeling in your stomach when you read a really, really cute book? That's what I got from reading Moonlight. I love this book with all my heart!

Werewolf (or shape-shifter) books are easy to find nowadays, but there are only few that actually pull you into the story and refuse to let go — for me, Moonlight was one of them! The synopsis doesn't do this book justice because I started it with a hesitant mind and ended up loving it.

I can't ask for a more perfect
Nozomi
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Nozomi by: Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
Shelves: werewolf
Well, let's jump on the Twilight bandwagon, shall we? Except, this time, we'll do it with werewolves.

This book is overall okay, but I'm going to be cruel and use it as an example of why I previously avoided most YA in the first place. It was unsatisfying and extremely predictable. The characters were not well developed, and there was a backstory that I felt could have been included, or at least more described. Hawthorne's characters fluctuated from sounding too young to using words that I felt a
Kay
There was just something... wrong with this book. There was nothing particularly bad about the writing, or even the plot - but there was just something about it that made it a rather uneventful read. But what exactly?

When I finished it - which took a while despite being a ludicrously easy read - I finally worked out what it was: it was a Middle Grade novel with a Young Adult plot.

The writing was just slightly too simple, the cover-ups too obvious, and the emotions underdeveloped. While this is u
Shera (Book Whispers)
Genre: Paranormal YA (UF)

Moonlight is a guilty pleasure. Not because it has naughty sex scenes or bad language jumping off the page—quite the opposite. It's pretty sweet and innocent, like PNR novels accept YA approved. Of course I have to say right up front if you’re seeking something that has mind blowing writing, hidden depths, and a unique plot this is the not the book. It’s not really fantastic in any form, but there is something about it that draws a reader in and just takes hold.

Moonligh
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
For more of my reviews, check out my blog: The Book Goddess

I loved the premise of this book, the world. The idea was so amazing. But it fell flat. I wanted to love this book so freaking much but I couldn't. It was rather boring and strange. Kayla is in love with a boy who never speaks to her. He is the cliche bad boy. He is brooding and mysterious. Until you get to know him, then he becomes a mushy and reminds me of a puppy.

The plot goes like this. Kayla lost her family at a young age, she was a
April
This book was a disappointment. The dialogue was off and seemed scripted. Wasn't natural. I don't see what's the deal with the Dark Guardians. Shouldn't all werewolves or "shifters" hold their secrets and guard the others from evil and harm? All it takes is for her to swear? Seemed a little weak. That the female shifters have to find a mate before their first change. They might not survive through it without a mate but a male shifter can? When Kayla does do the change, it's pretty fast and I thi ...more
Constance
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you loved twlight you will deffinatly love this. I totaly lied. Even though the names of these books are similar to twilight they are totaly different. In this a girl named Kalya finds out things about her self that she never thought were possible. While finding out these things Lucas (also the love of her life) is captured (in wolf form at the time) by "reascheres". Once Kayla frees him form his captures there is only a little time left and no time to explain. Kayla's full moon is right arou ...more
Katelyn
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I can't remember how I came upon this series, but what I do know is that I'm so glad I did! Moonlight is the first in the Dark Guardian series and once again I've found myself a new series that I already can't get enough of.

As a fan of the paranormal genre, I'm always excited when I find a book within that genre that has a new twist to the old storyline. The Dark Guardians' series has taken the old tales of werewolves and produced a new and unique spin on the characters.

Rachel Hawthorne created
Kate
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: werewolves, age-ya, 2009
I read this in one day... it was definitely a quick read although helped by the fact that I had about an hour sitting by myself at Barnes & Noble waiting for my friend Melissa to arrive for the Carrie Jones signing (she was cool and I got my copy and my library's copy of Need signed - a great werewolf book if you enjoyed Moonlight).

So this was a tiny bit predictable. I kind of wished there wasn't a prologue at the beginning - it was one of those prologues that is actually a scene from the e
Lindsey Simard Toutant
At 320 pages Moonlight, the first book in the Dark Guardian series, is a quick read but it's packed with romance, suspense, and a new take on shape shifters. This series is definitely geared for young adults and although the majority of books I am currently reading are from the young adult genre I found this book to be a little young for me.

As a protagonist I feel Kayla authentically represents your average teenage girl dealing with complex and unexpected obstacles. Although at times Kayla is p
Lori
Nov 14, 2009 rated it liked it
When Kayla becomes a wilderness tour guide for the summer the most she expects is to spend a lot of time in the woods and to face her fears. She never expects to find out her friends are Shifters. Or to find her soul-mate.

Honestly this book was just okay. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It was fluff. I read it in one sitting.
The Characters are a little one dimensional. Lucas was a good character. He was mysterious and intriguing but Kayla was a little on the annoying side. The side cha
Deborah
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Deborah by: Kathy
This book is so close to five stars!!! I would say 4 1/2! It was such a quick read and I really like this author. The first books I read of hers were the ones she wrote under her pen name Jade Parker. This is my second "Hawthorne" book and the first I didn't like. This one however I really enjoyed.

Kayla is a strong out doors girl who looses her parents when she is young and has repressed what really happened to them. She finds peace in the woods where they are killed. Things un-fold especially
Frezanda
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is good. I expected much from Rachel Hawthorne. As usual, it's well written. BUT..BUT It's just too predictable. As usual, it's falling a first sight story. Mysterious gorgeous guy. Etc..etc..
It didn't give anything new or the sort of depth of characters as in Hawthorne's other books.
It is entertaining with lots of drool worthy guys but that's all.

Some other things that irritates me does not realte to the story but to the packaging.
First, the cover. The make up of the girl in the cove
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I first read this series a few years ago, but it popped into my head the other night and I decided to read it again. It was just as much fun this time around.

Kayla's parents were tragically killed in front of her when she was only five. She is now seventeen and trying to face her demons by returning to the woods where her parents were killed. She gets a job at the national forest and helps lead people on hikes through the park. She has made friends with the other “Sherpas” and has a major crush
Ashlyn Rae (TeenageReader)
Nov 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
I was very disappointed when reading Moonlight. Especially the fact that it was like Twilight, just with wolves. At first, I was really excited to read Moonlight! Reading about something new, learning more about wolves, I didn’t notice any “flaw” until reading about a quarter of the book. I started to realize that there were a lot of similarities with Twilight and Moonlight. The concept was the same, the characters were similar, the name of the book, and just the little details is what got me th ...more
Nina
May 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Have you ever had a book, that you just didn’t want to finish, because you already knew how it would end. From start to finish I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen next and I didn’t like it. There isn’t any depth in the story or in the characters and I truly believe that if there were, it might be a little more fun to read. I do have to admit, that it took my mind of college and that’s a good thing! So I’m not saying that it was awful, no, I’m just saying that this book wasn’t doing ...more
Jamie
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Oh man these books I read are really starting to get embarrassing, but they are a comfort food for me...so the plot, the characters are 100% derivative of everything else out there right now, vamps are out, shape-shifters are in, all of these stories involve a brooding hot dude, who the chick never thinks she will fall for even though she has an animalistic attraction to him, blah blah blah, and yet I will probably read yet another story like this...
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Innocent, sweet romance with wolves that mate for life. A decent and fast read, but not much story outside of the couple meeting and falling for each other. Good for the kiddies and fans of true love stories. Anyone else should probably move along.
Danielle Folker
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an okay little book. The events that were supposed to be exciting weren't very exciting. It was very bland. I expected more.
J.D. Stroube
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read, but was pretty cute. I think that the author could have done more with it...
Lauren Elizabeth
Omg is this happening!!? Am I finally overcoming my book hangover?? YAAAASSSSSS PLEASE!!!!!!
Catherine  Wolff
Don't let the summery or the title fool you, this book is a romantic treasure that my heart won't soon forget!
julieta
Nov 30, 2014 marked it as to-read
My teacher put this book in our school newspaper as a recommendation with The Hunger Games. I wonder if she actually read it. And if it really is good. I might even give it a try.
Olivia Clark
Predictable, but an easy and enjoyable read. It made me smile. Even though it was easy to guess at what would happen, I was still eager to see if I was right. It did not disappoint.
CrystalBookSnob
Mar 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne was a pretty good read. It was really quick and for the most part held my attention to the end. There were things I liked about the book and things I disliked about it. To be completely honest, I thought the first 125 pages were boring and I was just waiting for the good stuff to happen. I could tell it was boring at first because I left it at a friend’s house and I wasn’t desperate to get it back that second. But I’m glad that I kept reading because it got real exc ...more
Jen
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those with a sweet tooth.
Reading this book was like opening a box of varying chocolates and, even with the all-encompassing fear that you'll choose one with the stale nuts or unexplained goo, biting into one of those deliciously sweet caramel-wielding candies on your first try.

Moonlight was exactly what I was looking for: sweet, decadent, fluffy.

Let me share a disclaimer that this book was in no way ground-breaking, nor did it venture into unchartered territory. I didn't go in with high-expectations, but one of my favo
Natshane
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading a lot about vampires and reading something about werewolves is a refreshing change. I rate this book a five(once again because I sucked at giving bad reviews but also because I really do enjoy this book). Just consider the werewolves in this book a combination of Jacob and Edward (Twilight), a shifter who could read minds, now how cool is that? Okay, so Jacob do read minds, but not as general as Edward, but these werewolves are capable of doing that. And of course, the shifter' ...more
Reading Vacation
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW

Moonlight is a romance novel. Ah, but what sets it apart from a typical romance novel is that the characters are shifters. Better yet, the shifters live in a town on the edge of the wilderness.

I was surprised that Moonlight was a light story. By this, I mean that it wasn’t overly dark with lots of killing and dangerous situations. Rachel Hawthorne worked the paranormal aspect into the story, but it was not the main focus. The romance definitely took the spotlight. I loved that!

Speaking of
Werewolf 1 17 Sep 27, 2012 10:29AM
Lucas and Kayla 1 16 Aug 22, 2012 03:09PM
how good is this? 10 20 Aug 22, 2012 02:05PM

• Never Cry Werewolf (Never Cry Werewolf, #1)
  • Claire de Lune (Claire de Lune, #1)
  • Wounded (The Wereling, #1)
  • Once in a Full Moon (Full Moon, #1)
  • Song of the Moon (Artemis Lupine, #1)
  • The Crescent
  • Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1)
  • Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3)
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Stake That (Blood Coven Vampire, #2)
  • Red
  • Raven
  • Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • Low Red Moon
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Slayed
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
aka Jade Parker and also writes with her son as J.A. London
(also writes romance under Lorraine Heath)

Rachel Hawthorne, who also writes as Lorraine Heath and Jade Parker, is the daughter of a British beauty (her mother won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® during which she received a kiss from Caesar Romero-who played the Joker on the old Batman TV series) and a Texan who w

Dark Guardian (4 books)
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Dark of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #3)
  • Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4)
“He'd asked if I felt the pull. I could'nt deny that I did. And that it terrified me.
It wasn't like a crush. It wasn't like seeing a guy and thinking I'd like him to take me to the prom. It was soul-deep, as though he was everything, the one, forever. I had to remind myself that I barely knew the guy. But still I couldn't shake the feeling of being meant for each other - as corny as that sounded.”
31 likes