Start by marking “A Collection of Nightmares” as Want to Read:
A Collection of Nightmares

A Collection of Nightmares

Hold your screams and enter a world of seasonal creatures, dreams of bones, and confessions modeled from open eyes and endless insomnia. Christina Sng’s A Collection of Nightmares is a poetic feast of sleeplessness and shadows, an exquisite exhibition of fear and things better left unsaid. Here are ramblings at the end of the world and a path that leads to a thousand paper cuts at t ...more
Published July 2017 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

To ask other readers questions about A Collection of Nightmares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Collection of Nightmares

Start your review of A Collection of Nightmares
Emily
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Lounge on the couch / Of your twisted mind / Dive into your obsessions / Scouring dark tales / From your grapevine."

A Collection of Nightmares is a book of about 40 poems by Christina Sng. I was introduced to her work in the HWA Poetry Showcase Vol. 5. Her poem was one of my favorites, so I had to pick up this collection.

Christina Sng writes beautifully, and she has put her heart into these poems. There was a little less horror than I expected based on the title and cover, but it w
Christa
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The word ‘nightmare’ is used so often from one day to the next, it’s become almost clichéd: “that meeting was an absolute nightmare,” or “I had a nightmare my account balance was zero, then woke up to find I’d fallen asleep with my online banking app open, and it was no dream.” But if you revisit the actual definition of ‘nightmare,’ you’ll be reminded that the dreaming individual experiences feelings of helplessness, extreme anxiety, and sorrow, and that the word was formerly used to connote a ...more
Sara Tantlinger
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, dark, and lyrical. Sng paints each poem with detailed brushstrokes, creating evocative images that drip together to create a wonderfully, wicked story. Many pieces reminded me of an anti-fairytale, where we are given the opportunity to glance into the not so happy-ever-after endings. A stunning collection overall.
John Reinhart
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My work has often appeared in publications with Christina Sng’s poetry. We each realized this at some point, and then realized that we had emerged into the speculative poetry scene at roughly the same time. In Christina’s case, this came after a decade long hiatus. That span seems to have been geminating time because she has burst out with oodles of topnotch poetry. It has been an honor to share tables of contents with her.

This publication is no exception. I am a layout nut, so one o
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you like your poetry dark--but also like it with a heart and soul--this is a great collection. I love how Christine Sng blends creepiness with human interaction. So many of the stories involve the links between family members, especially mothers and children. It captures, with remarkable emotional effect, the desire to protect in terrifying moments and the fear that only loving someone can bring to us.
Nicholas Diak
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina Sng’s A Collection of Nightmares is a poetry book containing forty seven dark and apocalyptic poems. The book won the 2018 Bram Stoker Award of Best Poetry Collection, and rightly so: the first half of the collection contains wonderfully executed horror poetry while the final half is devoted to apocalyptic subjects that convey a sense of excitement as the world ends in disastrous ways.

The beginning of A Collection of Nightmares focuses on non-gothic horror poems. Much of these poems deal with nature and
Jason Lundberg
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My official blurb for the book:

“Christina Sng’s poetry gives me the same feeling as observing a Kandinsky painting or hearing a Nine Inch Nails song: something immediate, deeply complex and intensely profound. It is, in short, a wonder.”
Kevin Breaux
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of work. Glad I read it.
Suzy Michael
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

A Collection of Nightmares is a compilation of speculative poetry by Christina Sng. The cover itself is a warning/ or foreshadowing of what awaits you. Something beautiful and morbid. You are never quite sure which. Is the woman in the water just floating in a dreamlike state, or is she about to go under, being pulled by a nightmare, her body sinking to the depths. Do not assume where Ms. Sng
Jericho Eames
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These poems are basically real short horror stories. Some of them make you squirm in disgust, some tugs at your heartstrings. There are quite a few pieces on dystopian themes but overall, I really do love the macabre nature of the poems and how easy it was to be immersed in her nightmares.
Strega
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Was good - but have to admit I preferred the first poems to the last ones. The last few seemed repetitive to me.
Horror DNA
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gabino-iglesias
I spent a decade in graduate school laughing at everyone who pretended to fully comprehend thinkers like Michel Foucault, Jean Baudrillard, and Jacques Derrida. Because I was also forced to deal with their writing, being confused was the last thing I was looking for when turning to fiction, nonfiction, and poetry in my free time. Unfortunately, there are plenty of writers in those genres whose main goal is confusing readers or impressing scholars with the impenetrability of their dense, boring writing. For them, telling a s ...more
Bruce Baugh
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read enough poetry, and it's really my loss. In particular, there's a bunch of genuinely great horror poetry, like this volume that finishes out my Women In Horror Month. Christina Sng's book A Collection Of Nightmares is just marvelous. If I were better informed about poetry, its rhythms and structures and all, I could more clearly describe specific ways it's marvelous, instead of just going "oh, wow" a whole lot. But I'll do what I can.

Some of these poems tell an explicit story. Other
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This poetry collection is beautiful. The poems are dark and creepy. Just the way I like it. The poems run the gamut of the horror genre, touching on ancient evils, fairytales, classics, and much more.

Some of the poems are hard-hitting, while others hit in more subtle ways. The first half of the collection looks at family and other types of horror. The latter half looks at the apocalypse. I'm talking floods, zombies, and wars.

As with any collection, I have my favorites. I would like to share on
Jackie Cowgill (LanternsJourney)
This poetry had dark themes throughout, but I appreciated that the stories varied between different levels of horror and science fiction. I really loved the science fiction ones, although all the poems were written beautifully. Some of my favorites were post-apocalyptic or self harm related as they seemed to be the most concrete. I dont read a lot of poetry because I feel that it's so personal and drawn from raw emotions. I always feel too much after reading good poetry, even with the verses tha ...more
Jamie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am new to reading poetry, so I feel a bit less comfortable with rating this type of collection instead of a novel, but I'll do my best to articulate my thoughts.

This is a beautifully written collection of poems, exploring several themes. Many of the poems discuss darkness, loss, family bonds, inner demons, and the end of the world. I love how the author blends beauty and horror together in a seamless manner. With poetry or short story collections, I like to list my Top 5 favorites. My favorit
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Really good creepy poems! A quick read when you have a spare hour.
Debby

• Lovecraft's Monsters
  • The Same Deep Water as You
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked
  • The Pale White
  • Off Season (Dead River, #1)
  • I Am Not Your Final Girl
  • Darkest Hours
  • Devil's Call
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • And Her Smile Will Untether the Universe
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • Will Haunt You
  • The Rust Maidens
  • Broken Shells
Christina Sng is a poet, writer and artist. Her work has received honourable mentions in The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror, and nominations for the Dwarf Stars and Rhysling Awards. She is the author of several chapbooks, including Dark Dreams (2011) and A Constellation of Songs (2016). Her first two full-length poetry collections from Alban Lake Publishing and Raw Dog Screaming Press were published in 2016.