Start by marking “Textual Relations” as Want to Read:
Textual Relations

Textual Relations

Evolutionary psychology professor Henry Hathaway is ready to spend his birthday the same way he does every year: a good teeth cleaning followed by dinner with his brother. But when he receives a wrong-number text confirming the details of a date, he does what any considerate person would—he goes to meet them and explain why they've been stood up.

Asher Wescott hadn't expec
Published August 7th 2017 by Cate Ashwood (first published August 6th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Textual Relations, please sign up.
Cate Ashwood Hi Sharon,
It was available for a special pre-release on Kobo and Barnes & Noble, but since it's now in Kindle Unlimited, it has to be exclusive to Ama…more
Hi Sharon,
It was available for a special pre-release on Kobo and Barnes & Noble, but since it's now in Kindle Unlimited, it has to be exclusive to Amazon.
(less)

Start your review of Textual Relations
☆ Todd
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it

"And the award for 'Most Clueless Man on the Planet' (apparently) goes to..."

"Henry Hathaway!
"

While evolutionary psychology professor Henry was sort of adorably clueless, unfortunately, he mostly just came across as boring to me.

If someone asked me to come up with one fairly-interesting thing about Henry, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with that answer -- apart from his penchant for finding himself on dates, with no knowledge that he's actually *on a date*.

The premise immediately hooked me, bu
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

During the first third of the book, Henry, the first-person narrator of the story, seems dull as dirt and lacks basic self-awareness, despite being a psychology professor.

But that changes with The Kiss.

After that, I found Henry awkward but endearing. He likes his routines and lives a structured life. When he meets Ash on an accidental blind date of sorts, he expects Ash to be a woman, but Ash is Asher, all man.

Asher likes novelty and spontaneity. He's charming and fun, and for some reaso
~Mindy Lynn~
This was sweet and drama free!

Textual Relations is a great book to read when you want to unwind and read something that isn't going make the brain work too hard. It's angst free and sometimes a reader (me) enjoys having a fluffy read at the end of a stressful day. So lets just say it satisfied my needs at the time of reading it.

Henry Hathaway has to be one of the most unaware characters I have come across in a while. I wouldn't call him naïve, because the man likes his research, but he's a bit u
Meags
4 Stars

Simple and angst free, Textual Relations might just be the sweetest, most heart-warming M/M romance I’ve had the pleasure of reading in a good long while.

When Henry Hathaway – a socially awkward, routine loving, evolutionary psychology professor – receives an intriguing text from a wrong-number who is trying to set up a blind date, Henry feels it’s only polite to show up at the assigned time himself and explain the situation to the relevant party.

Here, he meets charming and kind Asher W
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.75 Stars***

This was such a sweet read.

When this book crossed my twitter feed, the title immediately caught my eye. I went to check out the blurb....nerdy, routine oriented, psychology professor gets an accidental text, which leads to an accidental date....and away we go. I'm pretty sure I broke some sort of internet speed record clicking the "BUY" button.

Henry gets an accidental text from Ash saying the phone battery is about to die, but the text was confirmation that the date was on for
Martin
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was absolutely sweet! I swear there’s nothing I didn’t like about this story!

description

Psychology professor Henry Hathaway is happy with the daily routine in his life. His birthdays consist of a dental cleaning followed by a meeting with his brother. And that’s it. Every year!

Only this year, Henry receives a random text message of someone asking his date to confirm a location. Not wanting the person to be stood up, Henry goes to the place and meets Ash, who is a guy waiting for his male date.

Intrigue
Snjez
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's not the most realistic story and it's fairly short, but I really enjoyed it.

I loved Henry and Asher as main characters. I think it was adorable how they met and almost immediately clicked, although being complete opposites. I loved reading about their dates, they were very sweet and romantic.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
A sweet, short, low-angst story about a clueless guy... a VERY clueless guy.

Honestly, I enjoyed this one but it was pretty forgettable. I'm usually a goner for a self-discovery story, but even in such a short book my attention wandered.

The positives were definitely the sexual chemistry. I liked the two MCs together, and I thought that the author did a good job making their relationship feel real, even if it moved at a very fast pace.

While I thought most of the story was cute, I thought that i
Susan
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Re-read June 2020

Awwww, this was very cute.

I could really relate to Henry who liked everything in his life to be predictable. No rocking the boat in any way so he felt safe. A bit boring perhaps, but that was quite okay for Henry. But I loved it when Henry met Asher. Who was the opposite and liked to try new things every day. Asher was very good for Henry.

Henry and Asher meet when Asher accidentally texts Henry about their blind date. Henry is afraid this Ash will wait for his date who will nev
Liam Elliot
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ha!

All the other reviewers are like 'Henry is so unbelievably clueless.' Accidentally going on a date with someone and not realizing it? Pshhhh. Who would ever find themselves in that ridiculous situation???

Meanwhile, I'm over here like... uh... yeah. That has tooootally never happened to me. ...

...

...

*cough*

Anywho.

Henry, buddy, friend, you're not alone. Don't listen to the rest of these judgmental "socially adept" people. I got you. Peopling is hard.

Anyone ever watch the show Bones? If you hav
Jewel
3.5 Stars

​​Textual Relations is a light, short, low angst read. I loved the premise, but the execution kind of left me wanting​ just a bit more​.

Henry​ ​takes "socially awkward" to the next level.​ He also​​ might just be the least self-aware person on the planet. His most interesting (and endearing) quality is his tendency to find himself on dates he didn't know were dates. ​Truly, I didn't know this could be a thing -- at least not more than once! ​And for a guy who studied psychology -​-​ and
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-action
3.75 Stars

I thought this was one really cute. Yeah Henry was a bit clueless, but I found him endearing.

He and Asher were really cute together. And HOT. Henry was not shy when it came to exploring his sexuality.

Catherine
Have you ever seen those cartoons where the character is floating about 3 inches above the ground with hearts in their eyes, a dopey expression on their face, and small birds chirping happily around them? That’s what it felt like to read this novella.

The whole thing was just so sweet and romantic. Ashwood perfectly captured the spontaneity of Asher and Henry’s first date, the rush of excitement that comes with discovering new things about yourself and getting to know a new person, and the comin
Nazanin ex-Profile
This story was so sweet and just so perfect! It makes me want to start dating again and find my own Ash. *sigh* I'll daydream to this book whenever I start doubting my comfortable single life, it'll do the trick.
I totally recommend it as a comfort read.
Mindy
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, short-reads
This was exactly what I needed right now. So sweet I absolutely love this.
Sheri
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you’re familiar with Cate’s stories, you should know she does sugary and fluffy very well. This makes me wonder if she’s a great baker too? I bet she is. Whenever one of her stories pops up, I quickly grab it. I might set it aside initially and come back to it when the mood strikes because I find her books to be ‘mood’ related. I’ve been on an angst kick lately and her stories are exactly the opposite. However, when my heart is feeling bruised and I need comfort, I turn to Ashwood. This book ...more
Gabi
Such a wonderful book. All the feeeeelz... <3 Butterflies and golden swirls in my stomach. :)

The story is about two men falling in love, simple as that, yet beautiful.
Except Henry didn't realize he was gay.... until Ash. It was really sweet and romantic, yet I didn't find it cheesy at all.

Ash and Henry are kind of opposites. One outgoing, open and adventurous while the other is closed off, anxiety ridden and a slave of his routines. They came together beautifully, it wasn't complicated. Henry ne
.Lili.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m

It was cute but it needed Asher's POV. The story felt incomplete/onesided.

3 Stars

*RTC when I'm back from vacay.
Jay
3.5 stars – Textual Relations is my first exposure to the writing of Cate Ashwood, and it is a good and quick read with an interesting premise and a story that flows directly from it without pretense. It is a novella, though, so like many short romances, it hits most of the important points without delving too much into issues or conflicts that are not immediately relevant to the story’s set-up or its characters. The result is a largely cute and fluffy read that is perfect for a lazy afternoon o ...more
Kazza
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet, arc, contemporary
I don't always like sweet contemporary romances because there is often nothing for me to sink my teeth into. There was no drama in this book. There was no angst. There wasn't much about anything other than two men falling for one another in a fairly quick timeframe, but I liked the narrator, Henry. He isn't grand or flash or suave or alpha. He's just a decent guy who discovers he's probably demi-sexual or maybe bisexual and he doesn't have a freak-out about it. He's kind and nice and he reminds ...more
Ann
This story is, in a word, adorable.

It’s a quiet story and I appreciated that. Angst can be overrated and sometimes I just like to read a tale of character driven self-discovery and love without a lot of extra noise. Textual Relations is told from Henry’s perspective and he’s not the most socially aware guy around. It’s not surprising when you get to know him through the descriptions of his routines, but it’s obvious he’s a good guy. He’s just a bit introverted and has trouble making real connec
Meep
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
It started cute but never developed; very simple, sort of sweet - it really, really needed some depth, just a teensy little bitty bit of angst, some minor challenge to overcome and show their strength. Intellectual debate of Henry's sexuality aside this all seemed too easy and superficial.

Peopling is hard but psychology Prof. Henry is very orderly, very stuck in his routines and completely unable to read people. Not clear if it was the intent but he read as an undiagnosed case of autism. But it
Amanda
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
My very first Cate Ashwood, but definitely wouldn't be the last. Textual Relations is simple, sweet, low angst, yet very romantic and filled with so much warmth. This is a story told completed from Henry's POV. He is a socially awkward, psychology Professor who sounds like a hermit. He likes his routine and the predictability. On the day he finally step out of his comfort zone to meet with a random stranger, Henry might just found someone that totally upheaval his mundane life.

I love this story
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 4

This one caught me in the RIGHT mood. I found it so endearingly “innocent” I couldn’t help but love it.

What would have made it better? DUAL POINT OF VIEW!!

I can’t decide if I want to bemoan the fact that the story wasn’t longer, or if I would give up “longer” for a peek into Asher’s psyche... No wait, maybe I can. I would give it up for his side of the coin.

Still enjoyed it though. It was very calm and tranquil. Like I said. It caught me in th
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, kindle-unlimited
Super cute.

Just an easy, sweet, hot and fun read.

Sometimes the strangest things happen and I guess even they happen for a reason.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review.
This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I thought this book was super adorable. I enjoyed this a lot. A feel good romance with carefree feelings, and love in the air. I swear, when I was reading this I felt like tweety birds should have been circling my head. That's how whimsical and magical it felt to me.

Henry is the same old boring person he usually is but a year olde
BWT (Belen)
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-fiction
Very sweet with no drama or angst.

Told in Henry's single POV, this story follows his realization that his sexuality may not be as set as he once thought when he meets, and finds himself falling for Ash.

Henry's awkward and adorable navigating his burgeoning feelings for another man, with a quiet kind of cluelessness that never (thankfully) devolves into miscommunication or stupidity.

There is NO drama to this story. If you're looking for crazy angst, or wild coming-out shenanigans...look elsewhere
Leaundra
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! This book isn't heavy at all. It's one of those books you can read after reading a heavy book. This book was about them meeting and their journey to love. I loved the way they met. I really liked them both. I loved how they made each other better. Plus I thought they were hot together.... ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Naughty & Nice (Love Notes, #2)
  • The Faker Rulebook
  • Gay on a Train
  • The Happy List (Better With You, #1)
  • Bat Boy (Easton U Pirates #1)
  • Secret Admirer (Love Notes, #1)
  • Ranger
  • Natural Twenty (Roll for Love, #1)
  • Grumpy Bear (Bear Camp, #1)
  • Awkward Love (Stumbling into Love #2)
  • Angels in the City
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • Pretty Boy (Perfect Boys #1)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey #3)
  • XOXO, Santa
  • By the Numbers (Love Logic, #3)
  • Screwed (Four Bears Construction, #4)
Cate discovered her love for books of all kinds early on, but romance is where her heart truly lies. She is addicted to the happily ever afters and the journey the characters take to get there. Currently residing in British Columbia, Cate loves living just a stone's throw from the water. When she's not writing, she can be found consuming coffee at an alarming rate while wrangling her children, her ...more

News & Interviews

“I let out a breath. “Yeah.” I sounded too eager, but Asher didn’t seem to notice. I was so bad at this. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d made a friend—at least a friend I didn’t work with. Work friends were easier. There was common ground and always something to talk about. If the conversation ran dry on other topics, work-related subject matter was always a safe bet, and so awkward silences were few and far between.” 0 likes