Start by marking “Follow the Dead” as Want to Read:

(Rhona MacLeod #12)

"Follow the Dead is the thrilling twelfth book in Lin Anderson's Rhona MacLeod series.

On holiday in the Scottish Highlands, forensic scientist Dr Rhona MacLeod joins a mountain rescue team on Cairngorm summit, where a mysterious plane has crash-landed on the frozen Loch A’an. Added to that, a nearby climbing expedition has left three young people dead, with a fourth still
Published August 10th 2017 by Macmillan (first published August 2017)

Paromjit
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lin Anderson gives us a terrific twelfth addition to the forensic examiner Dr Rhona MacLeod series set in Glasgow. We have a joint investigation with the Norwegian police from Stavanger, primarily in the form of Detective Alvis Olsen travelling to Glasgow and the Cairngorms to work with DS Michael McNab and Rhona. Rhona is on a break in Aviemore with Sean when she finds herself professionally involved with the discovery of 3 dead bodies on a snowy and icy mountain that raise her suspicions. A fo ...more
Stephen Gray
I have read, and reviewed all 12 of the Rhona Macleod books. I have to say that I really enjoy them. The development of the characters, the plots, the locations and of course the brilliant writing.
However I do feel that there is something missing or not quite there with Follow the Dead. Its a very good plot and of course the characters that we are all getting to know and also the addition of new people are all excellent.
We are swept along at a fast pace brilliantly threading together the two m
Liz
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting having something kike this set in Scotland, as that's not something I've read before. However the plot progression was relatively predictable, and the protagonist seemed to do a lot less work/character growth/relating to others in any way than the secondary detective
Margaret
Did not finish.

Could not get into it at all.
Catriona Robertson
I've loved all the Rhona Macleod books, and this was no exception. Fantastic book - kept me hooked all the way through. Many thanks to Pan Macmillan and @OrkneyLibrary for giving us the chance to read it for a special #hurricanebookclub!
Mary Picken
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness, I do like a meaty book, and Follow the Dead is not only that but it also has everything I look for in a good crime novel. This isn’t in the least bit surprising as Lin Anderson is crime writing royalty. Her Rhona MacLeod books have been widely praised and for good reason. In this book, the 12th in the Rhona MacLeod series, which can easily be read as a stand-alone, Anderson has broadened her canvas to include not only the Highlands of Scotland, but also to explore the links betwe ...more
Clara
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met Lin at a publishing event and had a wonderful conversation with her, after which I decided I would jump straight in at this book - she assured me it was okay to start with number 12 in a series. And, I would have to agree with her, I didn't feel overly lost or confused, and even lacking the prior character development Rhona, McNab and co. all felt like fully-realised characters to me. The time the book spent in Glasgow (where I live), and the Cairngorms (where I spent many a childhood week ...more
Diana
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOLLOW THE DEAD is the 12th book in Lin Anderson’s Rhona MacLeod series. I have read all 12 books in the series and have enjoyed each and every one. I hope to see Rhona (and Company) again soon.
Forensic Scientist Rhona MacLeod is in the Scottish Highlands with her on again/off again partner Sean and is asked to observe the local mountain rescue team in action as they look for a missing mountaineering group. They stumble upon a crashed plane with (of course) a dead body near by. The area has been
Kelly
Opening in the Cairngorms on Hogmany, Follow the Dead by Lin Anderson is the 12th book in this fantastic crime author’s Rhona MacLeod series and this dark and brutal crime novel will take you on a journey into the very heart of the disturbing drugs and people smuggling underworld and frankly leave you reeling.

Set partly in our very own Aviemore and featuring familiar names and places, this book will take you even further afield while introducing some new and rather interesting characters who I d
Rebecca
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I have read all of Lin Anderson’s Rhona MacLeod crime novels and this is possibly my favourite one so far. What a superb setting, The mountains can be harsh and dangerous especially in winter. It’s New Year and three climbers have been found dead under the Shelter Stone on Cairngorm. Rhona has been asked to accompany the mountain rescue team to ascertain what happened. The mystery deepens as a plane has crashed into a nearby loch and there is no sign of the pilot.
Miles away in Glasgow D.S McNab
Zogman
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-book
Tedious.
The first 30% of the book were interesting, but after that the narrative jumped all over the place leaving this reader dazed and confused. This was my first Lin Anderson book and it will be my last for the following reasons
1. Unlikable main characters, tortuous plot with too many illogical jumps.
2. Unexplained loose ends. What did the dead raptors have to do with the plot?
3. Over 90 short chapters, each one ending halfway down a page. This leaves half a page of white space. This is bec
Anetq
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you’re off centre for some things, you might the right in the middle of it, for something else. In this the 12th installment of the Rhona MacLeod crimes novels (but still going strong), the forensic scientist gets involved in a case that reminds us the water is also a connector (even if less than before) and as remote as Scotland can be, it is also a surprsibgly close neighbor to Norway. And this story involves all sorts of horrid international crimes.
If you haven’t read any of the series
Marie Evans
I have read this series in order, when I started I thought they were good crime stories with decent characters. Each one was rewarded with 3 stars from me, light fiction rarely gets more than 3 from me.
However the last few have been predictable, too much repetition of past story lines and unexciting, therefore rewarded with 2 stars.
This last one has changed my view completely same characters and some new ones added to the mix. Set in the Cairngorms, Glasgow and Norway, believable up to date plot
Wren
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished the uncorrected proof so no spoilers. Lin Anderson is going from strength to strength with this series. We have a complicated plot expertly narrated, contemporary subject manner, and a setting both beautiful and deadly. I really liked the way she used the natural elements to create atmosphere and express emotion in this book.

Good use of myth, longing and bereavement to make the reader question what is real.

All the old gang is here; Bill, Sean, Chrissie, McNab and some new, very int
Rog Harrison
I have read all the books in this series apart from two books which I must try to find.

I have mixed feelings but I enjoy the fact that most of the story is set in Scotland and to be fair the author tells a good tale. This book deals with cocaine and people smuggling and introduces a young woman who refuses to be a victim. It's an exciting read if not quite believable.
John Perrone
This series was not up to much. The characters just dotted all the i's and crosssed the t's with out much ado. It may be do to an anticipation set too high by me. NO! Sizzle and no meat. The bad guy was found out and instead of some fireworks with the heros he just ended up dead. He had so many questions to answer but we never knew. Not my fav.
Alison Cairns
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always a great read. I love a main character who gets themselves into dangerous situations so you have to keep reading to find out what happens. In this you have two for the price of one, with Rhona and Michael both, as usual, taking a risk. I love the dynamics of the relationships, as well as the intensity of the stories in the Rhona Macleod series.
Sandra
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fat, educational, entertaining visit to the worlds of Rhona McLeod, Michael McNab et al. Cold and uncomfortable, complicated, nasty and absorbing enough to necessitate reading it in two sittings.
David Gilchrist
I struggled with this book, the scenic aspects are really good, the characters are well defined. The story lacked an emotional content that I look for, and also any humour that is norm within the police and forensic services. So in the end I did not particularly enjoy the story.
Sheila Kerr
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cracking read from Lin Anderson

I especially enjoyed the Aviemore detailed descriptions. Felt right in amongst the climbing fraternity. Also a great buildup of excitement on the sea voyage . Plus a fabulous new love interest for McNab.
Jenny L
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Lots going on in this story and it's certainly a quick read. Perhaps not as enjoyable as the previous Lin Anderson story featuring Rhona and McNabb, but I will continue to read more by this author now I have discovered her.
Adele
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as fantastic as I rembered

I devoured quite a few of the Rhona Macleod books in one go but I have not read one since the last release, so it was good to get back with her. Fantastic, thrilling (and sickening) storyline, the characters brilliantly written as always.
Rosa Macpherson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Rhona Mcleod series and this one's setting in Cairngorms ,Glasgow and Norway combines both Tartan and Scandi noir. Just up my street. Word as stand alone but you'll miss the richness and complexity of characters and their relationships.

V. Clifford
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good solid read

I love that Anderson has taken Rhona abroad. The sense of place in this novel is outstanding. I could feel the ice forming on my eyelashes. Read it you won’t be disappointed.
Peg Price
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My first Rhona Macleod book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very complex story with vivid descriptions of scenes and characters. Sometimes the scenes changed a bit abruptly and the ending was also a bit abrupt but I still think it deserves 5 stars. I plan to read more in this series.
Marina Sofia
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chiller thriller, great descriptions of landscape and the Stavanger-Inverness sea-corridor. Great, well-rounded characters too.
Arlene Davidson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Great characters, and gripping storyline- what's not to like!
Myshelle
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read as always.
Hlt
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Was enjoying but 1/3 through and all the pages are muddled up and loads missing ☹
Anne-lie
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 almost five stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Lin Anderson was born in Greenock of Scottish and Irish parents. A graduate of both Glasgow and Edinburgh Universities, she has lived in many different parts of Scotland and also spent five years working in the African bush. A teacher of Mathematics and Computing, she began her writing career four years ago. Her first film, Small Love, which was broadcast on STV, was nominated for TAPS writer of t ...more

Rhona MacLeod (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Driftnet (Rhona MacLeod #1)
  • Torch (Rhona MacLeod #2)
  • Deadly Code (Rhona MacLeod #3)
  • Dark Flight (Rhona MacLeod #4)
  • Easy Kill (Rhona MacLeod #5)
  • Final Cut (Rhona MacLeod #6)
  • The Reborn (Rhona MacLeod #7)
  • Picture Her Dead (Rhona MacLeod #8)
  • Paths of the Dead (Rhona MacLeod #9)
  • The Special Dead (Rhona MacLeod #10)