Start by marking “Dare Not Linger: The Presidential Years” as Want to Read:
Dare Not Linger: The Presidential Years

Dare Not Linger: The Presidential Years

"‘I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is n ...more
Audiobook, 384 pages
Published October 19th 2017 by Macmillan (first published October 16th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Dare Not Linger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare Not Linger

David Kenvyn
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the long-awaited second volume of the autobiography of Nelson Mandela. It has been put together from what he had written before his death, and from his notes. It has been edited with great skill, devotion and commitment by Mandla Langa, the author of “Lost Colours of the Chameleon” and a number of other books. Here, I have to confess that Mandla Langa has been my friend for more than thirty years, since he came into exile in the UK following the Soweto Uprising of 1976. During that time, ...more
Sindy Castellanos
"El color de la libertad" narra los años presidenciales de Nelson Mandela durante el primer gobierno democrático de Sudáfrica. Es edificante ver su paciencia, su compromiso y su lucha para lograr el respeto a la dignidad de toda persona humana y a sus derechos. Sus ideales, los objetivos que propuso y las metas que durante su gobierno logró alcanzar son admirables.
Fred
"I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended."

Mandela was an incredibly interesting person who lived an extraordinary life. I was not particularly thrilled with t
Bookworm
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like others I had hoped we'd have more of Mandela's thoughts after reading his 'Long Walk to Freedom' and this book is the second part of his memoirs. Compiled from his notes and texts, this is based off the writing he had started but unfortunately had been unable to finish.

Apparently he ended up writing about ten chapters about his time in office but abandoned the work. So the rest was compiled together from Mandela's notes during his term, the original draft of the work, plus additional infor
Joss Du Trevou
I loved Long Walk to Freedom and I had high expectations for this book. It was just factual and I didn’t feel much emotion reading it. It did however provide a reminder of what a wonderful leader Mandela was, and I found it hard to believe he belonged to the same ANC that we know today.
Recato Cristiano Eberwein
This book does not come near Long Walk to Freedom.
Gerbie7
Wanneer je aan een biografie van Mandela begint, weet je dat het verhaal iets anders zal gaan dan wanneer je Keith Richards of Gijp leest. Mandela fascineert me al vele jaren, graag duik ik in zijn eigen verhaal. In het voorwoord blijkt al dat dat niet helemaal klopt. Toen hij president werd, maakte hij vele aantekeningen, het uitwerken kwam hij niet meer aan toe. Mandla Langa heeft er een boek van gemaakt. Maar al snel raak ik in verwarring. Wanneer is Langa aan het woord en wanneer Mandela? He ...more
Jessica M
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Dare Not Linger began as Nelson Mandela’s unfinished handwritten memoir and was completed by South African novelist Mandla Langa. Because of Mandela’s age and ill health, he was unable to finish his manuscript and he died in 2013. But now in 2017, the sequel to Long Walk to Freedom has finally been finished and published.

This memoir details Mandela’s five years as South Africa’s president after the collapse of apartheid — it begins just as he is leaving prison after spend
John Plowright
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Dare Not Linger’ takes its title from Nelson Mandela’s ‘Long Walk to Freedom’ where he reflects that “I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom come[s] responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended.’

It deals with Mandela’s period in office as the first President of post-apartheid South Africa (1994-1999), and the manuscript for what became this book was begun by Mandela himself, writing ten chapters, and has been expertly completed by Mandla Langa using those t
Sipho Lukhele
I do not regret picking up the book even though I once told myself I will not bother with any Mandela book. I can say the book chose me as a colleague, who is not a reader, decided to lend me the book. It is about the late Nelson Mandela's years in office as the first democratically elected President of South Africa. Even though completed by now Dr. Mandla Langa, I did not feel at any point reading a different voice.

Highlights were insights into Mandela's mind as far as his thinking was concern
Raysha Letchman
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enlightening account of the early democracy period, told from the perspective of the noble Madiba. A must read for all South African millennials as it provides clarity on a period many of us were too young to know or remember, but the clarity, facts and history are parts of our past that must be known and understood to appreciate our present reality and freedom; as well as to understand the root cause to our socio-economic problems of poverty and crime.
Written in the format of chapters and se
Bee
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(A copy of this review can also be found here: beautifulilies.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/dare-not-linger-the-presidential-years-by-nelson-mandela-and-mandla-langa/).

It's always difficult finishing the works of someone who has since passed, but Mandla Langa does a great job. That said, Dare Not Linger does still rely heavily on factual information which is in complete juxtaposition to the emotion in Long Walk to Freedom.

I would recommend this biography more for people who are heavily invested in po
Matthew
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
An excellent look at Mandela's presidential years. There are definitely a lot of acronyms and names that would not be familiar for North American readers, which can make it tough to follow what is going on.

It truly is an amazing experience to reflect on the life and the leadership of a great (but not perfect) man who helped usher in a new area of peace. I love his focus on reconciliation, which was practical, but also an amazing commitment to the sanctity of the human spirit and the humility it
Kimberly Brooks
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nelson Mandela is an incredible person, that's why I'm giving this book 4 stars. If it wasn’t for him, it would probably garner a 2- or 3-star rating. Because of the writing: jumped around a lot, used terms that ordinary non-political people do not understand, vague, and honestly, a little boring. Which I don't know how a book about Mandela could possibly be boring, but there it is. And even though he was an amazing person and president, did he ever do anything wrong? Because according to the wr ...more
Zohal
3.5 Stars

As always, I am at awe of Nelson Mandela and his character and the change he has made to his country. I found this biography format a bit dry in that a lot of the facts went over my head, but overall I understand the progression of this text. The best parts were Nelson Mandela's original writings and the transcripts of some of his speeches.

This book has great insight on South Africa and is highly informative and inspiring.

I definitely recommend his autobiography 'Long Walk to Freedom
Pam
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
His collaborator took Mandela's notes for a book about his Presidency and put this together. Again fascinating to hear his thought processes and to learn more about this fascinating country. Probably not as interesting to someone who doesn't know so many people continually impacted by decisions and policies from that time. Sad to see how some of his progressive ideas have been subverted with less statesmanlike leaders.
Marc
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Nelson Mandela's first book Long Walk to Freedom. Unfortunately, Dare Not Linger was cobbled together from Mandela's unfinished book on his presidency, his speeches, and the gaps were filled in by another writer. I have no problem with that. The problem with this book is that it has a non-linear structure. In films and novels, this style lends an air of mystery. In a biography, it feels poorly edited. There's good material here but it was a chore to get through.
Eliu Montoya
Interesante el conocer la manera de pensar que tuvo que adoptar Mandela para empezar a construirse en la prisión para llegar a ser presidente, construirse camino en esos nuevos tiempos políticos, crear confianza y seguridad a tantos diferentes actores, construir alianzas estratégicas; pero principalmente muy interesante como se mantuvo fiel a si mismo durante el largo y sinuoso camino que le tocó vivir.
Stephanie
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed listening to this book. It taught me a lot about apartheid as well as Mandela's presidency. It is very accessible to those who do not normally read nonfiction. I liked that it was not entirely told from Mandela's point of view. It was nice to get all of the background information. It made it a lot easier to follow along with what was happening. The only thing that i had a problem with was that it was told out of chronological order and jumped around from event to event.
Leanne
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b, autobiography
This review is in response to an online copy received through Netgalley. I didn't find this book as engaging as the previous book "Land of My Father" though there is no doubt that it is extremely informative to the point that it almost reads like a textbook. I'd recommend this book for anyone who is interested in the politics of South Africa.
Doug
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an ARC giveaway from Goodreads.com. Mandela's Presidential years are reviewed in this work. A first draft of ten chapters by Mandela are the basis for this work. Other coworkers and speeches from Mandela fill this out. Adrian Lester who narrates the audio book does an impersonation of Mandela in the sections when he reads his own words.
Becca
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved learning more about Mandela’s inspiring leadership, but this account is a mix of Mandela’a first-person account and a third-person narrator. In an effort to seam the two together, it often made for a clunky read. I really value the aim to tell the story as much as possible in Mandela’s own words; I’m less certain this attempt achieved cohesion. Still, inspiring and informative.
Tracy Collier
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The positives about this book was reading things that you never knew about during Mandela's time as SA president, the negatives about it were that some of it was extremely dry and boring because you'd never heard of it as it was a SA issue and not necessarily a global one. Still an enjoyable book to read though.
Barbara Howell
While there was some valuable insight in this book, about Mandela, Winnie, the new SA, it was dense and filled with names and details that did not always seem to link to the point. Interesting but not approachable.
Daniela Morales
Es un libro enfocado a sus años de presidencia y principalmente a las políticas que tomó durante esos años. Es complicado para quien no entienda mucho de política, pero de todas formas se logra entender. No lo recomiendo como libro de lectura liviana, es más informativo
Nick Carnac
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
,,,,,,how the Dust settled , and was stirred again,,,,,,
Adam
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Part autobiography (the parts written by Mandela himself) and part hagiography (the parts written by Mandla Langa).
Philip Hanna
Better books have been written about this great man. This one didn’t have anything new.
Jose Torroja ribera
Interesante biografía de Mándela en sus años de gobierno.
Quratulain
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gb
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Young Mandela: The Revolutionary Years
  • The Opposite of Woe: My Life in Beer and Politics
  • The Black Calhouns: From Civil War to Civil Rights with One African American Family
  • The Poorer Nations: A Possible History of the Global South
  • Ragged Glory
  • Twilight at Monticello: The Final Years of Thomas Jefferson
  • Becoming Dr. Q: My Journey from Migrant Farm Worker to Brain Surgeon
  • Africa Since 1940
  • Lincoln's Gamble: How the Emancipation Proclamation Changed the Course of the Civil War
  • The Kennedy Years: From the Pages of The New York Times
  • After Freedom: The Rise of the Post-Apartheid Generation in Democratic South Africa
  • Stop Drifting, Start Rowing: One Woman's Search for Happiness and Meaning Alone on the Pacific
  • Land of the Burnt Thigh
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a former President of South Africa, the first to be elected in a fully representative democratic election, who held office from 1994–99.

Before his presidency, Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, and the leader of the African National Congress's armed wing Umkhonto we Sizwe. The South African courts convicted him on charges of sabotage, as well as other crimes com