Start by marking “Birthday Girl (Minnesota Ice #3)” as Want to Read:
Birthday Girl (Minnesota Ice #3)

Birthday Girl

(Minnesota Ice #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  683 ratings  ·  57 reviews
USA TODAY bestselling series

Good things come in extra-large, smoking hot birthday suits.

Things like Cohen James.

Bad boy Cohen James has screwed up yet again. Star forward of Minnesota’s pro hockey team, Cohen’s made a name for himself—and not in a good way. So, at the insistence of his agent, he’s stuck volunteering at the local YMCA teaching introductory adult swim
Published September 26th 2017 by Heat & Humor Romantic Comedies

To ask other readers questions about Birthday Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birthday Girl

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Birthday Girl (Minnesota Ice #3)
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
This story is a super slow burn which, for me, is enjoyable if the author keeps my interest. I have to be engaged in the story. I have to believe the chemistry and attraction and in this case, I did not. Unfortunately, I wasn’t all that impressed by Cohen and Annie. Their insecurities humanized them but were overwhelming their personalities, especially strongly with Annie. Cohen was a solid win at first but tapered off early. By the end, I was disappointed because I felt like I should like the c ...more
Quinn's Quippy Quotes
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Annie Plymouth has set out to face her fears. Or shall we say, was sent to face her fears. Despite being in her 20's with aspirations of becoming a lawyer, Annie has a fear of water. Her mother is determined that she learn how to swim by Annie's 23rd birthday and her mom's upcoming wedding, therefore she signed Annie up for swimming lessons. What they didn't expect was for the instructor to be NHL's hunk, Cohen James.

Annie is determined. Not only in getting out of the swim lesson (who doesn't l
Escape into a Booksite
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

This was my first Lily Kate book, but it won’t be my last. I really enjoyed this one. From the moment we had Annie and Cohens first interaction, I was hooked.

I really enjoyed the banter between the two, and knew that this would have me laughing at the antics of not only them, but Gran as well. It was fun getting to know both characters and see their bond grow.

Gran was hilarious as well. In a way, she kind of reminded me of Grandma
Konny
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Birthday Girl by Lily Kate is the third book in the Minnesota Ice Series. Birthday Girl can easily be read as a standalone.
Meet Cohen James. He has tattoos, scars and is a bad boy extraordinaire. After the last incident he was ordered to volunteer at the YMCA teaching swim lessons. And there he meets Annie Plymouth, she has water phobia. And has reasons to it. After he near drowned her she´s determined to keep him away from her. And he wants her, like WANTS her. She runs, he chases and in time s
Amber - TBR Book Blog
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was different than the others in this series but no less special.

Annie (which is a name I love for a girl, I don’t know why) is being forced to take swimming lessons by her overbearing mother and slightly crazy Gran. What Annie doesn’t expect is Cohen and their love-hate relationship.

Cohen is teaching swimming at the local YMCA as a volunteer. He got a little exuberant in some of his pranks and was convinced to do some community service. He’s not expecting to be attracted to one of
Mary Haraf
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the series. The first one is still my favorite but this one is sweet. Annie and Cohen. It's a cute story...3.5 Stars I loved Gran and we see a bit of Andi and Ryan again from Delivery Girl - just a peek nothing exciting from them. I really loved the epilogue! ❤️
Andrea wilber
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
my first lily Kate book and it was so perfect. what starts out with a girl wanting to learn to swim ends with the sweetest of all endings. I appreciate this story and the time the author took. definitely recommend to everyone
Cinzia
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading "Birthday Girl", it was my "first time" with Lily Kate as author and I loved this story so lighthearted, funny and romantic.
The plot is simple and the story between Cohen and Annie runs smoothly and fast, without unnecessary dramas, and it's characterized by dialogues and situations very funny when they're together.
Cohen James is a professional hockey player, a real star, but he isn't only famous for his talent on the ice, we could say he is also exuberant once he leaves
Liz ~ Liz's Reading Life
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What do you do when your mother is getting married on a cruise ship and wants you to finally learn how to swim?

If you're Annie Plymouth you suck it up and cave to her demands.

When you've gained a reputation as a "bad boy" and your publicist tells you it's time to clean up your act?

If you're Cohen James you suck it up and do what it takes.

Neither expected the local YMCA to be the place where their whole lives would change.

But when life doesn't go quite as planned, will they stop long enough to th
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read with Kindle Unlimited

This was another fun rom com by Lily Kate! So far I've read Delivery Girl, Boss Girl, Awkward. , and now Birthday Girl! I really love Ms. Kate's writing style. It's simple but not boring and everything flows.

I loved the progression of the relationship. Usually with romance novels, it's the man who resists and the woman has to spend the book convincing the hero that she's worth fighting for. This was the opposite. It is the heroine, Annie, that has doubts and resists C
Bellereader
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Annie and Cohen are so sweet and sexy they melt hearts and singe fingertips. Annie’s mother has decided in her infinite wisdom to have her wedding on a cruise ship and if the maid of honor dress wasn't punishment enough not only is it only her birthday but she is forcing her to take swim lessons. Annie is like deathly afraid of large bodies of water and has made it this far in her life without it crippling her so she sees no reason to face this phobia now. But at her mother's incessant prodding ...more
Sara
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

What a sweet story!

Birthday Girl is the sweet, sexy story of Annie and Cohen. Their meet cute was comical - Annie can't swim, is afraid of the water, so her mother signs her up for beginners swim classes. Her instructor? Cohen James, bad boy hockey star who is trying to rehab his image. Sparks fly from the moment they meet, but Annie isn't nearly as impressed with Cohen as he is with her. He eventually cracks through her ice (pun intended) and she slowly warms up to him as he proves to
Georgina Greenwood
Apr 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ugh! Oh ick. It bugged me throughout the whole book that it felt like chunks of the book was missing. There was no easy flow. One page they're in a pool the next page its 3 weeks later in a hockey match and so much seemed to happen between the couple that we didn't get to know/read about in the development of the relationship. And why does the guy turn into such mush once he gets the girl??? Why cant he stay the cool, hot guy? Nope you get a sappy loved up wet leaf.
Maura
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stephanie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book
BIRTHDAY GIRL: Bathing Suits and Birthday Suits

Okay – this one didn’t really take. In the first place, I found the plot contrived. Why would a hockey guy be qualified to be a beginning swim instructor? Also, I am sure thousands of people on cruises do not know how to swim, nor do I think knowing how would help you if you fell off one of those floating cities.

Then I was irritated because when they talk about her mother and her mom”s wedding being the re
Lula Pantoofle
The story of Annie and Cohen was very sweet and romantic, maybe slightly too sweet for my tastes. I loved the premise of the story; Annie being scared of swimming, the hero being her coach.

I wished there was 'more' though.

Annie is not Cohen's typical type yet he falls for her instantly. I wished there was more gradual appreciation after getting to know her a bit more. I wanted more focus in Cohen getting Annie to overcome her fears. How did she even get in the pool the first time? Did he wade
Liz
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was sweet, but not as good as the others. I think there were elements that were supposed to be funny, but which I found incredibly pathetic.

Annie is forced into swimming lessons by her overbearing mother who decides to get married on Annie's birthday on a cruise ship. Annie is deathly afraid of the water after falling through the lake ice when she was a young girl. Cohen is immediately smitten but doesn't realize that when he surprises her and takes her floatie away that she'll panic and al
Christine
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Cohen James was a great guy. The book tells you about his playboy ways but when the book begins, you only see a great guy. Annie is nice but her personality got on my nerves. The book starts off interesting and fun. I like the grandmother. I would have like my grandmother to be like hers.
I did not like all the what if's with her. We all go through them but the repetitive of them was grating.
Annie never confronted her father about not showing up and I wondered whether he even walked her down th
Holly Minch
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I absolutely loved parts of this books there were so many funny parts, however, the only reason I did not give it more stars is because it was so slow on the romance between Annie and Choen she was way to guarded and I understand waiting but they did everything under the sun outside intercourse it was just too much, I found myself getting annoyed by Annie. I liked seeing the past book couples and would have liked more interaction between the team and Choen more hockey, in general, I understand t ...more
Closet Romance Reader
Birthday Girl was the third and final book of Lily Kate’s Minnesota Ice Series. It can be read as a stand-alone but I recommend reading the others as well! It was funny, sexy, and swoon worthy!! I loved the sly humor throughout the book!

Cohen wasn’t a saint and the last bit of trouble he got into landed him a gig at the local YMCA. Teaching adults to swim was the last place he thought he would meet someone. But when he saw Annie he knew something was different about her.

What he didn’t realize wa
Nickie Adler
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A true Romcom

The love story of Annie and Cohen is not your typical one.
Annie is being forced by her mother to take swimming lessons, since her Mom will be getting married on a cruise ship. Annie has avoided learning to swim all her life, since almost drowning as a child. So to please her mother, she relents.
Cohen is the bad boy hockey star. Due to his latest antics, he is being reprimanded by teaching an adult swimming class at the YMCA for ten weeks.
When Annie walks towards the pool in a hide
Joy Novel Thoughts
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Birthday Girl is exactly what I have come to love and expect from Lily Kate. This humor was just as funny and silly as the others and I swooned so hard for Cohen James and his naked serenading self. He just might be my favorite man from the Minnesota Ice series!

I loved Cohen so freaking much. He was patient yet knew when to push Annie. He was the team bad boy, but was really just misunderstood and gah! I just want to squeeze him so hard.

Annie was a little aggravating at times because she kept p
Susan McClintock
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute read

Cute story. Annie has a severe phobia about water due to a childhood trauma. Her mother signs her up for swimming lessons. Cohen is a hockey player, who is rehabbing his image by teaching swimming lessons at the Y. They have chemistry, but Annie keeps pushing him away due to her fear of rejection caused by a neglectful father. Cohen slowly woos her and the rest is history. The story was okay, but not great. This is billed as a romantic comedy, but was was just mildly amusing.
Virginia
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Lily Kate’s books. They are so much fun and she will always be one of my go to authors. Her wit and excellent writing draw me in every single time. I absolutely love Cohen and Annie. Their story is sweet, funny, and hot. Her characters are so refreshing and simply make you love them. From the time they meet at the pool to the very end of their story, I was hooked. Go dive in to Birthday Girl!
J Williams
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!

Sexy hockey players? Awkward law students? Hilarious synchronised swimming grannies? Yup, it's all here. I loved this so much!

Annie reluctantly takes swimming lessons taught by the gorgeous Cohen. He is attracted to her immediately but she makes him work for that first date. Everything after that was perfection! A wonderful love story! I can't wait to read more of this series!
Zoe
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Just because some people in your life have let you down time and time again, it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try to trust another man.”

Just try to remember that any relationship worth having will make you nervous. There are a million and one ways everything can go wrong.”

He smells like rain, or like freshly cut grass—the first snow of the year. Like something I’d always known existed, even before we’d met. It was like coming home.
Cole
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great, easy read

Storyline is cute, Cohen and Annie are good characters and fit one another. There is a tiny opportunity to wrap things a little more nicely with Cohen and his family, but such is life. Also a missed opportunity to not include Chelsea’s wedding in some way, could’ve been fun to see them share that. Overall, cute story with a few good laughs. Grans character is great.
Andrea  Bell
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good book

This was my first time reading a book with this author and I'm really glad I found her , it was a great read,felt a bit rushed a the end but overall a really great read. This was my first time doing a book review but the book was so good I had too. I'm now of to find if she has written more books
Jennifer G.
Really enjoyed this story, great choice of characters, storyline, and ending. Such the perfect couple. So glad it didn't have all the usual junk, like messing around on each other, and "didn't mean" to sleep with someone else. It was a great story, down to the point, showing dreams do come true, and it didn't need the "messy" in it. Loved it!!!
Kinisha
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So very perfect

I was not sure what to expect from this book as the two main characters seemed off and kinda oddly paired but the author made it work brilliantly as many of our fears about love and relationships and feelings of inadequacy were address with great care. Two thumbs up for a fantastic read!

• Power Play (Blades Hockey #1)
  • Sin Bin (Blades Hockey #2)
  • Hat Trick (Blades Hockey #3)
  • Roommates  (Puck Buddies, #2)
  • Benched Boxed Set
  • Confessions of a Former Puck Bunny
  • Anatomy of a Player (Taking Shots, #2)
  • Jameson (Face-Off, #4)
  • Kane (Face-Off Series, #2)
  • Puck Buddies (Puck Buddies, #1)
  • Crazy Pucking Love (Taking Shots, #3)
  • Man Candy (Real Love, #3)
  • Donovan (Face-Off #3)
  • Arm Candy (Real Love, #2)
  • Sugared (Misfit Brides, #4)
  • Eye Candy (Real Love, #1)
  • Parker (Face-Off #1)
  • Drive Me Crazy (RoadTripping, #1)
Lily Kate works a pretttttty boring day job and writes books filled with heat, heart, and humor by night. Her debut novel, Delivery Girl, is set to release in early 2017. When she’s not writing books, you may find her watching Christmas movies before Thanksgiving, eating whipped cream from the can, or hanging out with her family.

Minnesota Ice (3 books)
  • Delivery Girl (Minnesota Ice #1)
  • Boss Girl (Minnesota Ice #2)