Start by marking “Dennis and Greer: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
Dennis and Greer: A Love Story

Dennis and Greer: A Love Story

A true story that encapsulates the horrors of war and the innocence of young love.

Buried in a trunk for fifty years, this long-forgotten tale, told through letters and journals from the war-torn Vietnam era, has been resurrected.

College students, Dennis and Greer, met just before moving to different states. Their witty correspondence through letters conjured a desire to m
Published October 3rd 2017 by Belle Reve Press

To ask other readers questions about Dennis and Greer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dennis and Greer

Erin
Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.

This non fiction story tells the love story of a young American during the backdrop of the Vietnam war. The couple's letters serve as the device used to tell their story.

Call me stone cold, but I got bogged down by these letters that seemed to be weaved together with a dictionary.I think I was seduced by the cover. I barely made it to 15% so that is why I am going to leave my review without a starred rating.
Julia Sapphire
Sep 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, romance
DNF

This book was sent to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

This story is non-fiction and is a love story about Dennis and Greer. Dennis goes off to war and him and Greer keep in contact sending love letters back and forth. This book has some Dear John vibes, if you want a comparison.

So here's where I struggle with this review, I have never DNFed a review copy and I always feel bad about judging non-fiction. I don't know if I'm the only one who struggles with rating non-fiction
Kate
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, arcs
4/5stars

Thank you so much to Molly for sending me an advanced copy of her book!! This will be available OCTOBER 1 2017!!

I'm a little bit torn on this book. On one hand, it was absolutely stunning, beautiful and made my heart ache and I absolutely couldn't put it down - obviously, I read it in 2 days at university when I'm also reading a dozen other things for class. I found myself constantly grabbing it to read the beautiful letters between Dennis and Greer (and lowkey wish I had a bae to be
Jessica Smith
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and gut-wrenching

Dennis and Greer is a true story about two young people that meet and fall in love, the story is told through their letters and journal entries. I have to start off by saying that this book is one of the most beautifully written pieces I have ever read. These two people are very well read and it shows in how they communicate to one another. I also really love the realness, I know this is redundant since this is and true story, but their letters to one another are raw
Floryie
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017

Heart touching - heart rending is how I would describe Dennis and Greer's story.

That said I would like to say that I found the starting a bit hard. It took a while for me to get into their story inspite of being eager for the love story. That is because of the language. The language is formal and poetic at times and it takes time to read. So this is a very slow read. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. I did.. It was hard not to. But it detracted sometimes with the lengthy letters and so I
Ivan Hecimovic
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dennis and Greer: A Love Story, a novel written by Molly Gould is a love story about two people whose lives are separated. When an author decides to write a novel that is going to be a love story, he or she needs to be aware of several things. The first is that love stories need to be able to provoke strong emotional response within the readers and each love story needs to have at least some connection with something that truly happened- somewhere and sometimes in the past. This novel has both o ...more
Ashni Clayton
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was beautiful, tragic, and true.

Dennis and Greer: A Love Story is a collection of love letters written by none other than Dennis and Greer (who would have thought), two young twenty somethings living in 1960s America. The letters span several years, recording the ups, downs, and overall developments of the couple’s relationship from their initial banter to their marriage, ending only with Dennis’s death while serving in the Vietnam war.

Better yet, both Dennis and Greer were literature
Ali Raza
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Things took a sharp turn for Molly Gould when her 71-year-old mother, Greer, died of cancer. She inherited a box of letters and journals that belonged to Greer and soon came to the realization that she never really knew her mother. Those letters pinned down the story of her mother’s first and only true love.
“Dennis and Greer: A Love Story” is the story of two young Americans who fell in love in the early 1960s. Inexperienced in terms of relationships, they never knew what love really meant until
Elisha
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This love story about Dennis and Greer during the war was one that tugged at the heart strings. I always find it a challenge to review a non-fiction based on someone's life. And this one leaves me torn. They are torn apart due to the war, writing love letters back and forth while he is gone, and waiting with bated breath to be together again, I was irritated with some of vernacular; I understand that the era and time was different and some behaviors may heave been socially acceptable by some and ...more
Julie Baswell
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Greer met Dennis at Sunday school one day and it was love at first sight. They dated some, for a month or so, until Greer moved to California. She wasn’t sure of Dennis’ feelings for her, but she wrote him a letter anyway. Unbeknownst to her, he was writing at the same time. From that point on, they keep continuous correspondence going, all the while falling deeply in love and planning their future. Even so, there was always a black cloud hovering over them from Dennis’ wanderlust and sense of d ...more
Rachel Kester
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel by Molly Gould tells the true story of two lovers separated by war and time. These lovers, Dennis and Greer, write letters to each other which is how this book is mainly composed. You’ll progress through their story by reading the letters they send to one another as well as Greer’s journal entries. It’s a unique way to write a story like this which makes it even more captivating to read. It helps you to really understand each character and feel what they’re going through.
This book is
Emilie Sovis
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A deceptively simple collection of love letters and commentary from Greer of whom the story is namesake, Dennis and Greer is nothing short of incredible. Letter by letter, Dennis and Greer reveals the growth of a deep and sacred love between two complex, imperfect human beings. The candid nature of some of the letters is heart-wrenching. I do not wish to reveal any portion of the story to new readers, but I will say that the reading of it was truly an emotional experience.

Both Dennis and Greer a
Angela
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dennis and Greer is a beautiful, heart-warming, authentic story about two young people in love. Greer’s daughter stumbled upon letters and journals of her Mom’s (written over decades!) after she passed, and it may as well have been a novel about fictional characters, as she didn’t know this huge part of her mom’s past. It was so raw and emotional that I found myself crying at times, especially since the readers know how it turns out for Dennis and Greer.

But it’s the depth of these letters and t
Azure
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dennis and Greer is the kind of love story that makes you forget that it is a work of non-fiction, because there are times where the writing is just that good it makes you forget that these were real people. The story progression is just right. Dennis and Greer are also the kind of people who make you want to root for their happily ever after despite the tragic foreshadowing in the first chapter, which makes it pretty clear how its all going to end.
Additionally, their correspondence bound tog
Kristen
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: upwork
I loved this story for many reasons but one was because this actually happened to me! My grandmother passed and I was going threw old binders and found her first love. Didn’t find the letters but they were supposed to get married and he died during the war. So reading this book for me was more of a reflection on what war has done to those we love. It is a tale as old as time.

This is a romantic story that opens up the door to what relationships were like prior to the tech boom and how life used t
Sandy Quinn
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Becca
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the ultimate love story. Gould writes in such a way that makes the story feel so real and you can hear Greer and Dennis' voices in their letters. The dynamic between the two lovers is really what makes the story so compelling...Greer being the realist and Dennis hopelessly following his heart. This is truly such a touching story and I wish more works were written in letter form, as it provides such a compelling dimension to the story and invites the reader along for the ride. This is the ...more
Scott
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Dennis and Greer is comprised of letters and journals by two young lovers during the Vietnam era. I don't typically read love stories but I liked the idea that one of the main characters was a Marine in the Vietnam War and the fact that this is a true story intrigued me. My favorite part about the book was the writing. They were both poetic writers and their witty banter was an unexpected surprise. Writing letters seems to be a lost art. I recommend this to anybody that enjoys a love story and l ...more
C. Gonzales
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
First of all, I really liked the simplicity of this book cover. It is a great representation of the novel without being too much.

There is so much in this story that fascinated me and drew me in. There are real issues so that the novel doesn't just seem like some fictitious tale. Molly Gould has written about these characters and the time in a way to really shine a whole new light on them.

There were a ton of aspects of this story that really set it apart for me. I loved the inclusion of the lett
Jazmine
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, net-galley
I struggled through this book. Dennis & Greer's love is raw & true, but I felt the length of this book bogged it down a lot.

I know they were in love in a time when women were still supposed to "be in the kitchen" but the feminist in me was definitely rubbed the wrong way by Dennis saying some super disrespectful things. Like that he was going to beat her.

Overall though this was still a pretty good read that made me want to put my phone down, write a letter, & appreciate my loved on
Jodie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a true love story. Actual letters and journal entries make up this novel that tell the love story of Greer and Dennis. Apart more than they were together, Greer and Dennis wrote back and forth. When Molly Gould received the stacks of love letters after her grandmother, Greer, passed away she felt the story just needed to be told. Through love, loss and war, Dennis and Greer maintained their love for one another.

The fact that this was a true story that read like a novel was what I e
Kerry Henderson
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a series of letters and journal entries between Greer and Dennis. It follows his training and subsequent deployment to Vietnam.

Oh this was such a heartfelt story. I loved how it was told through letters. You really see the development between them and how they grew up. Plus their love is so real and not glamourised. It also told how hard it is being apart from someone for so long. You really feel their pain.

But the ending oh wow I don't want to spoil it but tissues are needed. This was
Jimmy Jefferson
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true story of love through the words of Dennis and greer

This is an epic love story for the ages. Told through the words of each, this story spans a lifetime of feelings, emotions, and the journey through the lives of a strong love that will stand the tests of time. The story teller has used the collection of letters from these two lovers to tell the story of the century. You will traverse a wide array of emotions as you follow the couple through an amazing life together. Great story and amazin
Gina Stamper
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romance
This novel will definitely pull at your heartstrings. The main characters go through some heavy things during a heavy time. But Molly Gould’s writing brings these characters to life and makes it all seem so real, which adds a deeper level of connection between the reader and the novel.
I loved the evolution of the characters, especially Dennis’s opinion on Love and Duty. I really feel like he grew and it made reading about him and Greer that much more fun.

The pacing of this book is spot on. A wel
Bailey Ember
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
There is a lot that goes into this novel. It is a combination of different genres and different times. History, Romance, War, Non-Fiction, and So much More.

Molly Gould has written a very compelling novel.

I loved the theme of this novel and the underlying current throughout.

Gould has a beautiful and smooth writing style that was very easy to follow. It makes for a memorable novel.
Brigitta Moon
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read with a tissue

This story is a book of love letters and journal entries. They are so well written that the reader is drawn into the life of Greer and Dennis, at least I was. I could feel their love, passion, frustration, happines, depression and pain. Being in love and separated by war gives rise to a barrage of emotions. This couple experienced them all. After living with this couple through their letters, I sincerely hope that Greer is with Dennis now.
JAnn Bowers
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Molly’s magical but true love story of Greer’s daughter stumbling upon love letters of her Mom’s after her mother had passed on years later is a read that will touch many hearts to come. Love is magic and this is shown deeply in Molly’s words. This was an amazing gift from Molly to all of us in sharing these most private but heart-warming experiences that her mother experienced with Dennis. Kudos to Molly!!
Shervin Jamali
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gem of a love story depicted via mail correspondence. So why did I dock a star? This is a personal opinion, but I think it could have used some brevity. At times, the letters were redundant and a bit of a chore to get through. Regardless, these real life characters were interesting; Dennis strikes me as the kind of guy I would have liked to have a beer with. Four easy stars.
Deven
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This true love story is a great read. The lives of the two characters is pieced together by the journal entries and letters. The letters are pasted between the two who have a love of literature and are filled with daily lives, hopes, and poetry. The story is complete with an explanation of the letters and the life of Greer after the final letter. Wonderful love story.
Samantha Turley
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This novel had a little of everything. There is love and heatbreak, war and destruction, and history. It was different than anything I have read lately. I like the way the letters were used to tell the story. Love transcends time. No matter what time, love is love and you can feel the connection of the characters even while living their lives through letters.
Molly Gould lived in the wilderness for 28 days when she was 16 years old (she’s your go-to-girl in the zombie apocalypse).

She now enjoys the outdoors in sunny AZ with her husband and four children by playing tennis, hiking, and walking the dog.

Molly is an ASU graduate and the editor of Dennis and Greer: A Love Story.

When Molly inherited a treasure of vintage journals and letters from the Vietn