Start by marking “Stardust: The Visual Companion” as Want to Read:
Stardust: The Visual Companion

Stardust: The Visual Companion

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In Victorian England, a young man, Tristan Throne, tried to win the heart of Victoria, the beautiful but cold object of his desire, by going on a quest to retrieve a star that has fallen beyond the ancient wall bordering his village. His quest take him to a mysterious and forbidden land, and when he encounters the star he discovers it has transformed into a striking, sprit ...more
Published July 27th 2007 by Titan Books (first published July 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stardust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stardust

Parka
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
If you haven't watched the movie, watch it. It's a very good movie, comically fun and charming.

This book is like the audio commentary that goes with the DVD, except it packs more interesting details. The advantage of a book in this case is, it enjoyed at a more leisurely pace.

Although Amazon stated that this book is hard covered, the copy I have in my hands is actually soft covered. Not much difference really, since it doesn't take away anything.

This is a "Making of" book. The process of creatin
Mark Redman
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Stardust is a fairy tale for adults which I first read way back in 1998. I wondered if it still had any appeal. Would I still like it? Does it still retain its charm? The answer is yes.

Stardust starts with Dunstan Thorn – every nine years the Faerie market takes place on the perimeter of Wall, the town which is named after the wall which surrounds it. Dunstan rents out his cottage to a stranger in exchange he will receive his ‘Heart’s Desire’ like in all good fairy stories, plus rent for the co
Echo
Feb 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think this was necessarily a bad book, but I do agree that it's not as good as the movie. If I'd read it before watching the movie, I might have given it 5 stars. The book has most of the points that the movie did, except there are major changes to each point that just made the whole thing more exciting in the movie. There wasn't really a climax in the book, or at least not one that I could feel in my bones. Probably the most important difference was that, in the book, there's no time l ...more
Camille
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-asst
Neil gaiman is one of my favorite authors. He has a creative way of twisting his stories into something previously unimagined. Stardust is a perfect example. He takes what should be a standard fairy tale and twists it into an amazing adventure. Seven brothers who must win the throne by being the last man standing, a fallen star who turns out to be a sarcastic girl, an enslaved princess and a boy who sets out on his quest with one goal in mind and returns home a year later on a compleatly differe ...more
Rusty
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
This is the romantic story of Tristran who travels in the land of faerie to find a star that fell when he knelt to propose to the beautiful Victoria who says she will accept him when he brings her the star. His adventures are many but the dauntless young man survives all and finds the star linking her to him with a silver chain. Yvaine hates Tristran and he plans to take her home to Victoria but when he saves her life from the witch queen she is bound to him forever. The two travel to the wall w ...more
Molokov
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stardust is one of the most underrated films of the 00's, it is (in my opinion) this generation's "The Princess Bride". Although somewhat different from Neil Gaiman's book, the changes all[1] make the film a better film. This book goes behind the scenes of the movie's production, with lovely photos and production design sketches showing how they chose the look of sets, costumes, and visual effects. The costumes in particular are amazingly detailed, and small interviews with the designer give ext ...more
Sophie
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales, art, film
A great companion to the movie Stardust. I loved the movie, but didn't like the original book as much. For me this bridged the gap a bit, explaining why certain things had been changed, and also a lot of commentary from Neil Gaiman about his original version. Also a lot of other neat information about the making of the film, casting, locations, costumes, etc. etc. All in all pretty neat, and a pretty quick read considering the size.
Sean
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the movie "Stardust"
Full of beautiful stills, both from the film and from the backlot, as well as art from the original graphic novel, conversations with director Matthew Vaughn, author Neil Gaiman, artist Charles Vess, actors Charlie Cox and Claire Danes, and fascinating bits of trivia about the filming process, this book is a great read for anyone who enjoyed the movie. Be careful, though; the entire story is eventually spoiled, so watch the movie and read the novel first.
Trina
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie and loved it so I thought I would like the book just as much. This book is nothing like the movie. Not that being different is a bad thing. It shocked me so much that I had a hard time getting into at first. Also there are a few sex moments and some language. I am used to the oh so happy ending of the movie that I was let down. Maybe I would like it more if I had not see the movie first.
Diana
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It could maybe be 5 stars but I can't finish reading the book because pages 85- something or other are in there twice and the pages that should be in that spot are missing... grrr! Update: I got a new book and finished it, I really liked it but I'm still giving it 4 stars. There are some things I liked better in the movie and some things I liked better in the book
Yi-Ann
Apr 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stupid.Cheesy.should've stopped reading by the 40th page. Fairytalelike(good, but in this case, in an exaggerated way.) All characters have very intensified personalities. Better as a movie, probably.
Veronica
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
Quite a long book and with quite small font, but one of my favorite books. I saw the movie before I read the book and the book was very different to the movie. I actually liked the book better than the movie, but I recommend the movie as well as the book.
Kai
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorite
An adult version of Fairy Tale. When I read this I find very doubtful Tristan's courtship to Victoria, whom I find unworthy for her. But I really love the relationship between Tristan and Yvaine including the part where she insults him in their meeting.
meredith
yay neil gaiman!
i only wish i'd read it first before seeing the film version. the film was good but not true to the book in the ending, and i hate the hollywood-ized bastardization of good text.

fun read though!
Pam
Aug 22, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book talks about the making of the movie "Stardust". It was a pretty good book. I wished they would have told more of how things were done rather than just explain the plot. But they did have good bits from different people they interviewed. So overall it was worth reading.
Pauline de Silva
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaiman-s-novels
A very imaginative love story.. another Gaiman's finest book ever publish :) and the movie itself, though some scenes were changed and deleted, I can say that the twist and turns of events still leaped my heart out :)
Samantha97 Stowell
Love, Love, Loved the movie so I thought I'd pick up the book. Two sexual encounters I did not appreciate. This was not the case of the book being better than the movie. I will stick with the movie and bypass the book.
Cynthia
I just finish to read this book but after i watch the movie is like the fairytale for a adult with a beautiful and imagination, but to bad the ending i rather to choose the movie more clear but if you like Neil Gaiman you should read it (but in my opinion after u read it please watch the movie ^^)
Clare
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Original. Costume. Sketches. All I needed to know.
Hannah Roberts
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love learning about the behind the scenes efforts of films but this book made me love the film more than I already do :) would now love to read the original book!
Leah
Aug 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has read the book or loved the movie
Excellent book for those who loved the movie!! It has great full color pictures as well as the screenplay in the back.
Saman Kashi

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید

Roxxie
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a great fantasy novel.
Tarryn
I didn't particularly enjoy this book. I never connected at all. The movie, however, was wonderful. I'll stick to that.
Bridgett
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of fascinating information about the costumes and landscapes, as well as the intent behind the characters! The pictures were really nice too.
Fumphwoog, Lady of all Sorrows
Wasn't as good as I thought. :( a very rare occasion when I prefer the movie over the book : / but it was still entertaining enough. I would suggest just sticking to the movie though ;)
Kristin
A nice story. Quick read.
Elize Amornette
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book ... it was so easy to get lost in the story.
Shannon
Feb 19, 2008
Dian Pina
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved the movie but i loved the book way way more if your a fantacy lover you should read it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Alice in Wonderland: A Visual Companion
  • MirrorMask: The Illustrated Film Script
  • Alchemy of MirrorMask, The
  • The Art of Drew Struzan
  • Firefly: A Celebration
  • The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films
  • The Hugo Movie Companion: A Behind the Scenes Look at How a Beloved Book Became a Major Motion Picture
  • The Sandman Papers: An Exploration of the Sandman Mythology
  • Toy Story: The Art and Making of an Animated Film
  • Fantastic Alice
  • The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure
  • Trolls
  • Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
  • The Art of The Avengers
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
  • The Art of Hercules: The Chaos of Creation
  • How to Be an Everyday Philanthropist: 330 Ways to Make a Difference in Your Home, Community, and World–at No Cost!
  • The Wildlife of Star Wars
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.
More about Stephen Jones...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)