Start by marking “Zombie Playlist” as Want to Read:
Zombie Playlist

Zombie Playlist

Dagger has survived the zombie apocalypse with nothing save a metal bat, blades, and assholery. With the company of an IPOD she attained courtesy of Dead-Dude, and King, the Bunker-Boy straggler she somehow acquired on her journey, she travels to the coast, putting down zombies, blowing up high-grade assholes, and teaching King how to ditch his pre-apocalypse conscience an ...more
Published September 4th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Zombie Playlist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombie Playlist

Abantika(hiltonjenkin)
Follow my blog hjbookblog for more bookish updates!

“Yep, the assholes always survive. Nevertheless, there is a spectrum to assholery. I’m pretty low on scale.”

It is Dagger’s metal baseball bat, general mistrust in people and low-grade assholery that has kept her alive for the last 10 months. While it is the first day of King, out in the wild and he begs Dagger to take him with her. To which Dagger couldn’t but agree reluctantly.

“I roll my eyes, but if I’m to maintain my low-grade asshole status
Sarina Langer
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zombie Playlist was exactly what I needed when I needed it. I read it shortly after Equal Rites and was still in a bit of a reading slump after two disappointing reads before that, but Dagger's snarkiness got me out of the slump again!

Dagger has taken to the zombie apocalypse like a little duckling takes to water, and has done incredibly well at staying alive thanks to her general mistrust of other people. While others seek strength in numbers, Dagger knows that she's best off on her own - until
Nicola Rose
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first encountered Dagger during a hashtag monthly challenge where characters can air their views. I loved her right from the first 'bitey-asshole' quote and by the end of that month I knew this was a book I must read. I was so excited when the callout for ARCs came.

Zombie Playlist was everything I wanted,  and more.  I might have actually clapped my hands when I saw the clever contents page! The romance was so original and refreshing... Funny,  sweet,  love blossoming amidst a backdrop of zom
Dana Fraedrich
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TL; DR: This book is a rip-roaring, zombie-killing adventure. If you're okay language, sex, and violence, you must read this book!

Reading this book was like watching a really exciting film. I needed popcorn to complete the experience. Where to start? First, it's so cleverly written. The table of contents is literally a playlist, which I am listening to as I type. And K.J. weaves the songs into each chapter marvelously. I cannot imagine how much time this extra layer of awesomeness took. It's bri
Netanella
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ten months into the apocalypse, low-grade asshole Dagger finds an iPod on an undead she's just brain bashed with her bat. As the story progresses swiftly, each episode in Dagger's journey to the coastline is somehow connected with the song she's listening to on the device. It works, particularly since Dagger, an early 20's female, is jaded and snarky and fun, particularly more so after she rescues a young man who's just escaped from a bunker and hasn't been out in the world since the apocalypse ...more
Brianna West
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all, I begged--BEGGED--to read this. I'm already a fan of Ms. Chapman's writing, but I didn't know how big of a fan until I read a little story about a kickass Dagger and her less-so but entirely adorable sidekick, King.

Let me start by saying that there's nothing I didn't like about this story. Hands down, I was in it until I finished and now I'm screaming Ms. Chapman's name while chanting "Encore! Encore!" The only thing I felt upset about was I want more and there is no more. (Unless
Lex
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zombies! Who does not love zombies? Dagger and King, that's who! I was lucky to receive an ARC of Zombie Playlist and I enjoyed every minute of it. The only downside was having to put it down to make a cup of tea since the pacing is relentless. The verbal sparring between the main characters Dagger and King is fantastic with plenty of humour to keep me snorting throughout, especially the poncho moments. Cracking story, not overly graphic, with plenty of splattery goodness.
Ozsaur
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick, fun novella. I liked the main character, Dagger, a lot. Snarky, clever, badass. I also liked King, but Dagger is the heart of the story. I loved her growth as a character. I also thought the playlist was used effectively without being too cheesy. The ending wasn't as strong as the beginning.
Faith Rivens
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2017
Wait no! How is it possible? How am I already done? More please. More!

Seriously, though, this novella was a one sitting read that had me on the edge of my seat. The humour was so perfectly blended with the horror. And I'm not a fan of zombie books. At all. But this was high entertainment.

Dagger is absolutely awesome. Her character arc is one of the strongest I've seen in a while. She's fierce and formidable and funny as hell. The voice is incredible.

And King is equally brilliant. His character
Villimey
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really wish I could have read more about Dagger's adventures. Because she's awesome. I love a badass, female character and Dagger certainly is one! Armed with a bat and being a general asshole, she practically flew through the hordes of zombies that were in her way.

Her interactions with King were great and I really liked King as well. I think he was portrayed as humanity in general as he was usually reluctant to join in on the zombie-bashing. So with Dagger meeting him, brings forth the humani
Allyson Grove
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: instagram-books
Zombies are not my first choice when reading, so this book has been sitting on my tbr for awhile. That being said, I was in the mood for some snarky characters and nonstop action and this book fit the bill.
Chapman has a way of making characters relatable and the story line just sucks you in. Even though it is a short story Dagger and King show growth and depth as characters. I love that each chapter was a song on a playlist and I could listen to it while I read.
Even if zombies or short stories
Debbie Chapman
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zombies, a playlist, and a witty, sarcastic female lead. What's not to love?

This is a perfect, quick read, and this narrative suits being a novella. Dagger is hilarious!!! Her voice is so distinctive. She had me laughing out loud throughout. King is a great character who ultimately breaks down her walls. The pair together have an ebb and flow.

For a short read, Chapman manages character development, narrative development, and background/ history with ease. A refreshing read in the zombie genre. I
Bet osborne
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Zombie playlist.

i loved this quick read had me giggling away throughout this book, dagger and king what a pair these to are, i loved the choice of songs i could almost hear them playing in my head.

have read a few books from this author and have not been disappointed once.

if you like zombie apocalypse books with a bit of humor this is the one to read.
BarbaraH
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it!!! Author has a "different"sense of humor that will keep you reading and wish for more. Looking forward to reading . More of her stories.
Ashley Ehlers
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Zombie Playlist is the first book I’ve read from K.J Chapman and it’s made me want to check out her other works! Honestly with the opening scene I couldn’t help but envision Dagger as Harley Quinn with her handy bat haha.

Dagger is one sassy, badass character and I just loved going on this little adventure with her! So much happens that I don’t want to spoil anything but I absolutely love, love how her and King got away from the crazy little cult they got sucked into. Seriously you guys I was lau
Emily Wrayburn
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind June 29, 2018:

I will say out the outset of this review that most of my feelings towards this book are on me. This was a fun story and most of my reasons for not liking it more are a matter of preference. Zombies aren’t usually my thing but I had been following Chapman on Instagram for a while and wanted to support a fellow indie author, so knowing this was quite short, I took a chance.

The two main characters, Dagger and King, were on opposi
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this from the author herself (via Instagram) in exchange for an honest review.

Dagger is making her way to Cornwall. There is a house that she owns there and a safe haven, from the zombies (or bitey-assholes as she calls them), when she saves King, a man who has spent the last ten months in a bunker. He begs her to help him, which she agrees to, reluctantly

This book should really be called How a badass survived the zombie apocalypse. I loved this novella, so much so I re
Candace
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book! Binged it in less than a day. Dagger is a badass, the story is great, and everything is satisfying. What more can you want?
C.M. Martens
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all, create the playlist and read along. It was a real thing, not just a fun title.

Second of all, Dagger is great. I loved the gender role reversal between her and her zombie-playlist8unwelcome side-kick, King. Talk about a story for female empowerment.

Third of all: Zombies. Now, this isn't typically a thing I look forward to. I actually avoided reading this at first because I'm not that crazy about this genre, but if you are, this is one you CAN NOT MISS.

Fourth: Dagger's sass is exqui
Rebecca Howie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I'm not a fan of post-apocalyptic novels but this was short and sweet and almost made light of the situation the characters found themselves in. And Dagger's hysterical.
Lara Cameron
Jul 12, 2017
K.J. Chapman
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
DoubleDiptheGuac
added it
Jun 13, 2018
Catrina Gallegos
Oct 05, 2018
Obsessed By Books Best Urban Fantasy Author 2016.

K.J.Chapman is an avid tea drinker, writer, blogger, book reviewer, and author of the EVO Nation Series, Thrown to The Blue, and Zombie Playlist

Born and raised in Cornwall, England, and with an accent to match, K.J.Chapman is a self-proclaimed fan girl and geek; a lover of everything science fiction, fantasy, and paranormal.