Start by marking “Cat Zero” as Want to Read:
Cat Zero

Cat Zero

Artie Marshall is a scientist. She is perpetually underfunded, relegated to a damp basement, and besieged on all sides by sexist colleagues. Added to that she is immersed in a messy divorce. But she’s never been happier: she recently landed her own lab, based in an eclectic think-tank housed in the leafy suburbs of North London.

Artie spends her days studying an obscure cat
Published January 2nd 2018 by Biting Duck Press

To ask other readers questions about Cat Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Zero

The Captain
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Well me mateys, while this be an enjoyable read, it certainly wasn’t what I was expectin’. If ye read the blurb, ye get an idea that this is going to be a post-apocalyptic tale about a virus killin’ off both cats and humanity with a scientist racin’ to find a cure as quickly as possible. This is not the case. I kept waiting for the human death count to spiral out of control. The first confirmed human death didn’t even arrive until around the 60% mark and there was never another. And the solution ...more
Mitticus
+Digital Arc gently provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review+

Artemis Marshall is a promising young scientist working with viruses. If talking about VSN RNA , feline leukemia (FeLV), lentivirus, genome , and lab testing is not your thing , don't bother with this book.

Decent writting. However, the book suffers from a common flaw: try to cover too many issues at once and then rush to solving the end.

Exploiting the virus thing between looking for origin, and trying to fit theories is i
Cynthia Parkhill
I found this book to be very suspenseful in its treatment of a virus outbreak, and could emotionally relate to the urgency of keeping the virus contained. The story was well-done, with characters who seemed like real people, complete with preconceptions and biases that affected the work at-hand. I foresee this book especially appealing to people who like medical thrillers.

The best parts of the story, for me, were when Artie and the other researchers attempted to piece together information and so
Eliatan
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgally
The science in this novel really carried the story - it was engaging, clever and made me wish I'd paid more attention in high school Chemistry. I loved the constant tension as the team made discoveries and then found counter theories to their current hypotheses - the show down between natural vs man made viruses was fantastic for the plot tension and resolved itself beautifully, showing how much creative intuition along with good old fashion detective work is necessary to solve the science puzzl ...more
Banshee
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Artemins Marshall (or Artis for short) is a scientist who is researching FIV. This quickly leads to an unexpected outbreak on a small island that quickly causes a few cats deaths and one owner. Could this be a natural phenomenon or is it bioterrorism? Artie decides to enlist some mathematics help so they can create a data set and create an algorithm that will estimate the chances of it spreading, where it will spread and if/when it will die out.

This novel really intrigued me as I love cats, sci
Gwen
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is not quite for the layman (or laywoman the case may be) when it comes to a viral outbreak of the cat variety. Fortunately, I'm familiar with some aspects of biology but I'm terrible at statistics so pretty much skimmed those scenes. Doughnuts and lilies mean nothing to me.
It deals a lot of issues such as are we fated to be our genes through her bipolar mother and the autistic professor. Then there is the place of women in academia or feminism in general.
The ending was a little disapp
Susan Johnston
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here:
With a title like Cat Zero, I was expecting a lot of cats in the story. It turns out there are very few but it did not detract from the enjoyment of reading the book. While my eyes glazed over when the scientist and mathematicians were talking details about DNA or viruses or extrapolations of findings, I was able to follow along and get deeply involved in the story.
Artie, a seemingly perfect woman on the surface, and a phobic underneath. runs a lab in North London where
Kris Sellgren
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was expecting a thriller novel, with scientists racing to identify a pathogen that has killed several cats and may have jumped into humans. Instead, Cat Zero is slower paced, mixing lab politics with personal anguish (a messy divorce for the heroine) and sexual tension. There are elements of Gothic romance, with an unpleasant postdoc caretaker of a mysterious, possibly dangerous, professor in the basement. The search for the cat-killing virus is replete with authentic-feeling details of lab wo ...more
T.D. Crawls
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's not often that I am so into a story that I can't put it down but that quickly happened with this story. It started slowly for me with the background of our main character, Artie - a scientist researching viruses in cats. But after only a couple of chapters, I couldn't put it down. A virus is making cats sick but it doesn't match anything on record - not perfectly at least. As a cat owner myself, the idea of this potentially happening is what drew me to keep reading until the mystery of the ...more
Grant
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Catty lives, scientific and viral

This book purrs. It does that thing that cats do, “playing” with their toy, gently poking at it, softly lobbing it in the air, then, eventually, lunging. I’d recommend it for those who’d like the interplay of scientific lives, permeated with motives and mystery.

Jennifer Rohn’s strength is her characters, their changing foibles—sometimes more than mere foible—and their muses. Of course there are the sticky messes that can result. You might think from the cover tha
Danielle Urban
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cat Zero by Jennifer Rohn is an exciting mystery. As an animal lover, the plot was scary. Something like this could happen anytime. I love reading stories that feature a strong female protagonist. Artie is just that. Her world seems to be sinking fast only to leave her in a more dangerous yet complicated situation. A deadly virus is found. Causing not only animals, but humans to die.

Jennifer Rohn creates suspense with ease. As the characters race to solve the problem at hand, I found myself lov
Dana
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Artie is a lovely female research professor who is studying cat viruses. She is in the process of a divorce, when a strange mutation appears in a cat virus that can also spread to humans. Her handsome post doc, Mark, is eager to help with her research and her personal life. When Artie decides to try and befriend the mysterious and creepy mathematicians who work nearby in the basement, she winds up in a situation that could be catastrophic.
Geoffrey Cooper
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding piece of lablit by the author that coined the term for the genre. Artie Marshall is a great character--a brilliant scientist, dealing with the complexities of setting up her own lab, a failed marriage with a husband who won't leave her alone, and too many sexist colleagues. An exciting read that gives an inside view of medical research.
David Van zeebroeck
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
I honestly tried getting to read this book.
The synopsis really looked interesting.
However i couldn't get into the story.
The story did not seem to start and i couldn't get a connection to the main character.
The story buildup is very slow and did not pull me in.

i think other people can appreciate the story but for me it wasn't possible.

thnx to netgalley for the review copy
S. Meredith
Disappointing

Expected much more from this. Incredibly cliched chick lit, with some overly detailed science thrown in. Frankly insulting to the myriad researchers who are female, have an autism spectrum disorder, or both. Avoid.
Frank Norman
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite reads this year. A great scientific whodunnit with love interest, intrigue and mystery. A lablit instant classic.
Cath Ennis
Viral evolution! Scientific detective work! Cats! Vets! Academic politics! Bioterrorism? Great stuff!
Lenni A.
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Artemis "Artie" Marshall is a genius scientist studying feline viruses in a stuffy university. As she struggles to be taken seriously by many of her peers, a mysterious and virulent new virus surfaces; a virus so strong, it kills both cats and humans in a matter of days. It's a race against time to find a treatment or cure even if it risks her own life in the face of a deeper conspiracy.

The best parts of this book are when Artemis and her team are actively working on the disease. Outside of her
Joanne  Manaster
Sep 04, 2018
Ellie Steele
Nov 03, 2018
Dede
rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2018
Karen
Jun 17, 2018
Caitlin
Jul 20, 2017
An avid reader, Jenny had always wondered why there were so few scientist characters in mainstream. Jenny coined the term 'lab lit' to describe such novels and in 2005 launched the website LabLit.com to help promote the use of science and scientist characters in mainstream fiction and to illuminate the world of scientists and laboratory culture. In addition to her activities as a practicing scient ...more