Start by marking “The Cactus” as Want to Read:
The Cactus

The Cactus

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BLOOM

People aren't sure what to make of Susan Green—a prickly independent woman, who has everything just the way she wants it and who certainly has no need for messy emotional relationships.

Family and colleagues find her standoffish and hard to understand, but Susan makes perfect sense to herself, and that's all she needs.

At forty-five, she thinks he
Published January 25th 2018 by Two Roads

To ask other readers questions about The Cactus, please sign up.
Sarah Haywood Hello Emma. 'Mom' is used for 'Mother' in Birmingham in the same way that 'Mam' is used in Newcastle. (I'm from Birmingham and my mother says 'Mom').…moreHello Emma. 'Mom' is used for 'Mother' in Birmingham in the same way that 'Mam' is used in Newcastle. (I'm from Birmingham and my mother says 'Mom'). Funnily enough, in the American edition of the book 'Mum' is used throughout. The US editor told me that most Americans are aware that 'Mum' is the commonly used word in the UK and would be confused by the Brummie 'Mom'.(less)

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The Cactus is a book that comes with such a visually stunning cover, it is filled with flourishing cactus plants, set against a shimmering metallic background and I will admit that it won me over instantly. I also adore the cover tagline that adds further embellishment to this already spectacular cover. The Cactus is comes with the cover quote “It’s never too late to bloom”. Self acceptance and life changes at a mature age are the central themes tha
Ioanna
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this one!😍
The Empire of Me

Die Charaktere in diesem Buch sind alle glaubhaft und liebevoll gestaltet.
Vor allem mit Susan konnte ich mich vom ersten Augenblick an identifizieren: ich mag auch keine Menschen. Ich mag keine Überraschungen oder plötzliche Ereignisse. Ich habe gerne Struktur in meinem Leben und die Kontrolle. Wenn also irgendetwas diese Struktur stört oder gar kaputt macht bin ich zumindest erstmal mit der Situation überfordert. (Das hat natürlich alles seine Gründe, auf die ich hier jedoch nicht näher eingeh
Anne
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, let's talk about that cover. It's absolutely sublime, and I have to admit that as soon as I opened up the envelope when it dropped through my letterbox, I bumped this one to the very top of the 'to be read' pile. See, I'm a cover tart, I have to admit it. There is nothing more likely to get me interested in a book than a beautifully produced cover, and especially a hardback cover. I was truly besotted.

The contents of the book certainly do not disappoint either. Yes, we can certainly judge th
Kate Olson
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
🌵 🎧 Yay for great audiobooks with fabulous narrators with ACCENTS! British, in this case.

THE CACTUS was my latest listen and it was a great one 💗 I adore quirky characters and this one has that PLUS family drama PLUS love ~ highly recommend to fans of “Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” by Gail Honeyman and “Something Like Happy” by Eva Woods 😊 Both of those are excellent on audio as well, BTW!
Ali
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah well, somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars.
And please, please, never ever spell "bin" instead of "been", it does not add any quirkiness to the speech, it just looks stupid.

I have to say this book did not live up to my expectations. From the blurb I expected some quirky, humorous, emotional story, very cleverly written, but it turned out to be pretty average on the enjoyment scale.

Susan is 45. She lives alone and lives her life whichever way suits her best. She is smart, in full of control of her
Rona
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect in every way and I was really sad when I'd finished.

I was engrossed, enthralled, so vested in Susan's life and what was happening to her. What a well-rounded character and how well the author fed the reader the pieces of Susan's past that made her such a prickly character. Her voice was perfect and really made me laugh at her little observations - I could picture the expression on her face as I read her thoughts. So cleverly written and such a lovely warm-hearted story. LOV
Lydia Bailey
A 3.5 from me. I enjoyed the book on the whole & it’s our current book club read so will do a full review at a later date. It felt a little like a copy cat to Eleanor Olephant to me. The main character is very similar, especially in the way she deals with people, but I didn’t like her nearly as much as Eleanor and found her rudeness annoying in places. A heartwarming tale but takes a while to get there.
Julie Parks
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
This book in the definition of English humor. It should even come with a warning: Don't read it on a rainy morning!

I loved every chapter. But the character can get to be a bit too bitter at times. She's a new kind of lol.

Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.
Ruthy lavin
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word, this book is bloody brilliantl!!!!
It starts off a bit like Bridget Jones, and ends a bit like Four weddings - someone please adapt it into a film!!!
I didn’t think anything could top Eleanor Oliphant for me because I really, really loved that book and will definitely read it again someday - but this? It’s as good if not better.
Witty in that inimitable British way, with undertones of sadness and comedy, it’s just a literary triumph.
I’m always a reluctant 5 star rater, but this just co
Joanne
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't begin to review this book without mentioning that beautiful cover. The image above does not do it justice at all. Those pale pink looking bits are in fact a beautiful shimmering foil. This book was a very welcome surprise when it arrived a couple of weeks ago and when I read the back, I knew it was a book I would enjoy.

Susan Green is very, very set in her ways, most definitely on the autistic spectrum, When we meet her at the beginning of the book, her mother has just died provoking very
Sallie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read. Fans of Eleanor Olyphant and Ove will enjoy Susan Green. But there is more here to love than a retread of those books. Watch this character come alive and step out of her comfort zone. You will be rooting for her the whole way despite her prickly exterior.
Kathryn in FL
While the publisher's blurb compares this story to "The Rosie Project", it reminded me much more of "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine" which I thoroughly enjoyed as much as "The Rosie Project". This book has its own set of unique circumstances that made me vacillate between awarding 4 or 5 stars. Susan has always adhered to a very structured life that has given her the sense of control and safety that her childhood did not provide. Now, she is at a juncture, she had not anticipated, being a p ...more
Sally (whatsallyreadnext)
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Leading a perfectly ordinary life, Susan Green is 45 and is pretty happy with living on her own in a London flat, having a stable job that's ideal for her logical personality and has been enjoying a no-strings-attached arrangement with a guy for several years.

That is until she not only finds herself pregnant, but she's also forced to deal with her mother's sudden death and contesting the will against her good-for-nothing younger brother.
Susan is now faced with a lot of mayhem in her previously
Katheryn Thompson
I think that the premise of this book works really well: an intelligent, independent, and capable woman suddenly starts to lose control of her life, as she has to face her family, the loss of her mother, and her unplanned pregnancy. And while parts of this story are inevitably a little cliched (all stories with a happy ending are), the voice of the protagonist is anything but.

I loved the originality of the character of Susan, and her distinctive voice, and I particularly loved the way that Haywo
Tania
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan, the main character, is a prickly woman in her mid forties. ( Of course, we come to learn that she is a product of her upbringing). She has her life well ordered, with a job that suits her and a flat in London. Her world is turned upside-down when her Mum dies, leaving her brother a lifetime interest in the family home. Susan, having just found out she is pregnant, must set this injustice right. In order to do this, she must start to rely on, and accept help from other people, something sh ...more
Karen Mace
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
5 stars for the cover - it's stunningly beautiful! But unfortunately only 3 stars for the story! That's not to say I didn't enjoy it as it was an interesting story, but I just didn't connect with the character as I hoped I would and I just felt that the book was missing something although I'm not sure what that was!

The main character, Susan Green, is very set in her ways! She's very independent and likes her own routine and seems at odd with the modern world around her at times. She is a fan of
Anmiryam
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Susan. Her voice, at time irritating, at times heartbreaking, drove my interest in this tale of mid life upheaval and renewal. Many readers will feel find her off putting at first, but keep reading. I promise she’ll grow on you. Once you understand you need to read behind the lines to see the hurts she’s nursed for decades she becomes approachable. I was rooting for her and while I found the romance a bit of an add on, I hoped everything works out for her. FYI, I listened to the ...more
Carie
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked up this book as it was suggested it was similar to Eleanor Oliphant. I adore Eleanor so I was thrilled to hear of this book. However, this is no Eleanor. I found the book's plot to be one that I did not care about. One that I did not want to know the outcome. The protagonist was ho-hum and quite annoying. Oh well....it was worth the try.
Natasha Ellis
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this, Susan the main character was a bit reminiscent of Eleanor Oliphant but the story was completely different. Was slow paced but very readable.
Though the one thing that bugged me was the use of the word Mom when it was set in England
Claudia
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: galley
I wanted to like this book, but unfortunately I didn’t. I read a few chapters and I thought was not what I was expecting. I didn’t finish the book .
Tracy Fenton
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m on a mission to read as many books as possible with “quirky” characters and when Richard & Judy announced The Cactus as part of their Autumn Book Club choices it seemed perfect timing to start this book.

Firstly, I absolutely HATE it when books are compared to other books/characters etc and when the Sunday Times said “‘The Cactus will be compared to Gail Honeyman’s 2017 hit, the appealingly eccentric Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine” I try to take it with a pinch of salt and read it w
Amy
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
If you were a fan of  Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine , I think that you will really enjoy, The Cactus ! I really do prefer quirky characters so I was excited to dig into this story about a late bloomer that doesn't necessarily fit in (or want to) with her peers.

Susan Green, our main character,  is struggling with the loss of her mother and her own news that she will be becoming a mother after her own unplanned pregnancy.

When she discovers that her mother's will favors her brother over her,
Grace J Reviewerlady
I can honestly state that this book is unique to any other I’ve ever read .. and it’s a great read!

Susan controls every aspect of her life. At forty five, she lives alone – as she likes it – and has a very regimented routine. Her colleagues, by dint of being human, annoy her – well, let’s be honest – most things annoy her. She fails to understand why everyone doesn’t follow her example of a strict routine and maintain a compartmentalised and – in her mind – perfect life.

As this story progresses,
Evelyn Evertsen Romp
Voor iedereen die wilde dat er meer boeken zouden zijn zoals Eleanor Oliphant. Ontroerend, grappig, verrassend, lief en best heel herkenbaar eigenlijk. Halverwege zakt het verhaal een beetje in, maar dat wordt snel weer goedgemaakt.
Overigens denk ik niet dat dit het zoveelste "Asperger is eigenlijk best grappig"-boek is.
Alessandra Gadola
È molto difficile trovare un cattivo degno di nota. Anche questa volta la cattiva, che pare più un’ Asperger, alla fine si rivela un donna sentimentale, che diventerà moglie e madre felice. Nel frattempo non succede un granché. Uffa che barba
Martha☀
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Susan is proud of being a prickly 45 year old woman who has successfully kept everyone at a safe distance throughout her life. She has carefully organised her relationships, including family, associates and colleagues, to give her space and privacy. She knows that people usually have ulterior motives and she refuses to allow them to undermine her structure.
When her mother dies, the will decrees the family house to her hopelessly ineffectual brother which rubs Susan the wrong way. At the same tim
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The Catus is a brilliant read, following main character Susan who is so interesting to read about. She is a very independent, confident person who has firm beliefs and a fairly unique way of interacting with other people. We see,  throughout this novel, some of the reasons for the way she behaves around people, and although at first I couldn't imagine ever wanting to spend a significant amount of time with her, by the end of the book I could really appreciate
Paula
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Cactus’ is the story of Susan Green, an individual who is very pragmatic. Susan’s organised life changes when she discovers she is pregnant, she surprises herself, when she decides to have her baby.

As Susan’s life changes, she faces a loss, from this loss, she begins to see all of her relationships differently and finds herself opening to new experiences.

I enjoyed ‘Cactus’, Susan is a memorable character, however, at first, I did not connect to Susan, not that I’m perfect in anyway, we all ha
Cindy H.
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Publishing for gifting me with an ARC of The Cactus by Sarah Haywood. In exchange I am providing my honest review and opinion.

This book was a joy to read!!! Charming and delightful but not sappy or mushy.Like the surprising sabra, a sweet fruit that grows from the prickly cactus, our protagonist Susan is a bit thorny and sharp on the outside but inside she’s full of pure, satisfying originality. Susan’s voice was reminiscent of another unique protagonist, Ele
  • The Foreigner
  • Two Is Enough: A Couple's Guide to Living Childless by Choice
  • While I Was Sleeping
  • Hunt the Moon
  • The Parentations
  • Waking the Dragon (Vale of Stars, #1)
  • Where Reasons End
Sarah Haywood was born in Birmingham. After studying Law, she worked in London and Birkenhead as a solicitor, in Toxteth as an advice worker, and in Manchester as an investigator of complaints about lawyers. She now lives in Liverpool with her husband and two sons.
“I suppose it’s traditional to go down on one knee at this point, but the pelicans have been busy and you’re sitting on my handkerchief.” 0 likes
“It’s what goes on inside that I care about,’ she concluded. ‘Not the labels on your clothes, or what car you drive, or whether you’re popular or fashionable or good-looking.” 0 likes