Start by marking “A Time Of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Time Of Dread

John Gwynne

A Time Of Dread

(Of Blood and Bone #1)

The Ben-Elim, a fierce race of warrior-angels, burst into the Banished Lands over a hundred and thirty years ago. They were in pursuit of their eternal enemy, the Kadoshim demon-horde. On that day a great battle was fought, the Ben-Elim and Kadoshim joined by allies from the races of both men and giants, and a great victory was won.

Now much of the Banished Lands is ruled b
Published January 9th 2018 by Pan

To ask other readers questions about A Time Of Dread, please sign up.
John Gwynne Hi Kaitlyn.

The answer to your question is yes and no. :)

It's not a sequel in the true sense of the word, though it is related to the first series.

A…more
Hi Kaitlyn.

The answer to your question is yes and no. :)

A TIME OF DREAD is set in the Banished Lands, 130 years after the events that take place in WRATH, so all that happened in the Faithful and the Fallen is now the history of this new series. But I have written Of Blood and Bone as an entirely new series, with new characters and plot. There are references to the Faithful and the Fallen, but you do not need to have read it to understand or enjoy this new series.

The Banished Lands are my version of an alternative, mythological Europe. If The Faithful and the Fallen was inspired by the rise of Julius Caesar and his Gallic Wars, as well as Milton's Paradise Lost, this new series is inspired by Attila the Hun, the Fall of the Roman Empire, the Volsung Saga and the Book of Enoch. So, just as if you were reading a history book, you could read about the Fall of the Roman Empire without knowing all about Julius Caesar, but if you did, it would make the reading experience a little richer and deeper.

I hope that helps. :)

Best,

John(less)
John Gwynne Hi Sarah,

Great to hear from you, and a great question.

Hi Sarah,

Great to hear from you, and a great question.

I haven't approached this series with a main character in mind. There are four Points-Of-View in A Time of Dread. Drem, Riv, Bleda and Sig. I saw all of them as equal-ish, although I think Drem had more chapters than the others. Riv wasn't too far behind him.
I suppose you could say that Drem and Riv have the edge on page time, though the gap isn't huge.
In book 2, A Time of Blood, there are again four main Point-Of-View characters, though one is different from book 1 due to a character death - I won't divulge who for fear of spoilers :)

Hope that helps,
John (less)

Petrik
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Epic Fantasy & The Faithful and the Fallen fans
ARC provided by the publisher—Pan Macmillan—in exchange for an honest review.

A Time of Dread is a work conceived in the mind of a genius.

Simply amazing and almost impossible to put down, A Time of Dread is truly a masterful start to a trilogy which I envision will be crowned as one of the best series I’ve ever read by its end. John Gwynne has proven himself once again to be the constant harbinger of superlative epic fantasy that only the greatest of authors can achieve.

Let it be known that Gwy
Mark Lawrence
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Time Of Dread brings together all of the promise in John Gwynne's debut, Malice, and delivers a truly excellent read!

AToD is in many ways very similar to Malice, it's set in the same world a century later, but with a smaller cast list and greater focus it felt to me like a step up from that successful and highly acclaimed beginning.

The previous quartet of books provide a living history to the new series. You absolutely do not have to read those books to enjoy this one though. In the Lord of t
Robin Hobb
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of fantasy
Last night, I finished reading A Time of Dread.

I add my standard Caveat. I received this book for free. I do not know John Gwynne.

There was a time when I could devour four or five paperbacks a weekend. Books were shorter then, true, but I think it had more to do with my enthusiasm for the genre. As a teen, I was consuming fantasy almost indiscriminately, reading in every slice of the genre.

Am I older and more jaded now? Perhaps. Certainly, it seems harder to find book that awaken that elusive '
JA Tivendale
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of A Time of Dread in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank John Gwynne and Pan MacMillan for this opportunity.

The story places readers within the Land of the Faithful approximately 120 years after the conclusion of the novel Wrath, which was an epic, brutal, and fulfilling climax to one of my favourite ever fantasy series'. The angel-like Ben-Elim rule the land now from their base at the giant-erected fortress of Drassil. They've spent generations uni
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
If you've been following my reviews for the past year, you know I'm a huge fan of John Gwynne and the world he created in his original series "The Faithful and the Fallen."

I breezed through all 4 of those books earlier this year, thanks in large part to the memorable characters and the epic thread of action that runs through the heart of Gwynne's storytelling. When I found out that he had a new series coming out, I pretty much begged whoever I could find was lucky enough to get a physical ARC f
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
A Time of Dread is a breathtaking beginning to what will surely be another utterly brilliant series by John Gwynne.

It is no secret that John Gwynne’s debut series, The Faithful & the Fallen, is one of my all time favourite reads. I regularly recommend it to anyone looking for a great read and I have marked him down as a permanent entry on my list of auto-buy authors. Therefore it should come as no surprise that I was MORE than excited to get an early chance to read his latest book, A Time
☽Luna☾
Jul 31, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Finally a cover!

It's so freaking BADASS I feel like crying over its beauty.
Sara
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy, fiction
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4.5 stars. This is how you write fantasy.

The plot opens with a blood feud battle between two clans, several years before the main bulk of our story. It's full of vigour, great descriptions of the action, and sucked me straight in with the mixture of violence and brutality on an epic scale.

The main events of the story start several years later, where the majestic angels, the Ben-Elim, rule the majority of the land from their fortre
Haïfa
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can find this review and more at Booksprens.

Spoiler-free review. No spoilers from the Faithful and the Fallen series.
The quotes in this review are taken from the ARC edition and may change in the published book.

Dear John Gwynne, you will never fail to surprise me, and your stories will never fail to make me inevitably cry!

Of Blood and Bone is a new trilogy taking place roughly 130 years after the last events of Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4). And things have significantly changed in
TS Chan
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-owned
We shall never forget.

And how could I ever forget? A Time of Dread served as a brutal and stunning reminder that Gwynne is one of the greatest modern fantasy writers.

The Faithful and The Fallen ("TFaTF") was a superb epic fantasy series with one of the most well-written stories about prophecies and good vs evil that I've read in a very long time. And judging from what I've read in this book, I believe Gwynne is on track to surpass what he did in the earlier series. AToD is the stamp of a gr
Sebastien Castell
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A Time of Dread is that rare sort of epic fantasy that not only appeals to fans of the genre, but also embraces new readers. The world is rich and complex, but you never feel lost or find yourself desperately reaching for a map. The four main characters have the nuance and troublesome qualities we expect from modern fantasy novels, and yet they retain just enough of the classic heroism that got so many of us into the genre in the first place. The plot twists and turns in unpredictable ways, and ...more
Celeste
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Celeste by: Petrik
Shelves: fantasy
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

“Sometimes the only answer is blood and steel.”

I have very mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I loved getting to revisit the Banished Lands, which is among by favorite fantasy worlds. On the other, seeing the way this world has changed in the over a century since the events of The Faithful and the Fallen (TFatF) was painful. But that’s part of the point.

While Gwynne’s original series set in the Banished Land had a lot of warring a
James Islington
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read A Time of Dread a little over a month ago, and was waiting for some time to put together a more thorough review... which thanks to both Christmas and a new baby in the house(!), never eventuated. But with it being released today in the UK, I wanted to add at least some quick thoughts / a recommendation on what I felt was a great read.

Much of what I wanted to say, thankfully, has already been said – see Sebastien de Castell’s and Mark Lawrence’s reviews as pretty reflective of my thoughts
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy, fantasy, epic
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/03/03/...

This was my first time reading John Gwynne, and wow, he is the real deal, folks. Now I wish I had jumped on board his Faithful and the Fallen series when I had the chance. However, I am glad I was able to read his new book, A Time of Dread, which is the start of a new trilogy called Of Blood and Bone.

Set in the same world as Gwynne’s previous series, this novel takes place approximately 120 years after Wrath, its concludin
Deborah Obida

‘Only good Kadoshim is a dead Kadoshim.’

This book is my fifth by the author, not only did I rate them all 5 stars, they are all in my favourite books shelf, am glad for that. So I'll be optimistic and expect the best from him, I didn't even notice until Petrik mentioned it.

This book is a spin-off series of his initial Faithful and the Fallen book series. Just like its predecessors this book wowed me in all the areas. There was no boring moment in this, I was hooked from the beginning to the
Karina Read
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
First of all, a huge thank you to Pan Macmillan and Netgalley for allowing me to read this in advance. It was brilliant. Exactly the kind of fantasy I live for.

Now before I get started, I must confess that this is my first John Gwynne novel. His debut, Malice , was next on my pile to read when I was approved for this beauty so I thought I’d start here. Although I don’t regret it, I do feel like I have missed a lot of cool references to characters of his first series, The Faithful and the Fal
Bradley
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-shelf, fantasy
This is my first time reading John Gwynne and I seriously debated whether or not to read the original trilogy before picking up a tale hundreds of years after the events there. It was a close thing, but I decided the strength of his writing would either wow me or it wouldn't.

As a matter of fact, his characterizations while not too varied or unusual for the fantasy genre at all, are still rather well done for all that. Time and effort are taken, drawing out familial relations and emotional impact
J.P. Ashman
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A super solid five stars from me (listened to this on Audible. Excellent narration, too).

I'm a fan of John's original series and was happy when I heard this new one was set in the same world, albeit it decades later. That latter works very well. Seeing what came of the struggles we lived and loved previously and how the descendants of those characters we came to know so well (as well as some who're still living!) deal with the aftermath of that terrible war is both intriguing and exciting.

Needle
Michael Britt
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.75

Full review to come later, after I process this awesome story!
Robin (Bridge Four)
“Sometimes the only answer is blood and steel”

description
I haven’t read the Faithful and the Fallen series, but after reading this book I’m very much a fan of John Gwynne’s writing and I’ll have to go back and read the original series set in this world 120 years before the events in this book. That said I don’t feel like I had to have read that series to enjoy this one since I completely enjoyed it.

A Time of Dread is just that. It is the beginning of the ramp up to something dangerous, evil and enough
Emma
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Ok, so when’s the next one out??????

Review to follow.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘You cannot be truly brave unless you feel truly afraid. That’s what courage is. Doing it anyway, even though you’re scared.’

Well, it’s safe to say John Gwynne has knocked out another one of my all time favourite books! A Time of Dread is just deliciously dark, full of characters you either instantly love or ones you grow to love, and a plot that continuously builds up to something quite epic!

A Time of Dread follows on from the aftermath of The Faithful and the Fallen series, the tensions are
Aoife
I received a free copy of this book from Pan Macmillan in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a spin-off to The Faithful and the Fallen series by Joh Gwynne which is set in the Banished Lands and follows the armies of Elyon and Asroth, forces of good and evil, battle for power. I strongly suggest people read TF&TF before reading The Time of Dread as otherwise you may be confused by story history and character history.

I absolutely loved this book which was no surprise to me as TF&T
MikMurphy the Spinecreaser
Very nice, a wonderful ride! Thank you John Gwynne! Ok, now when does the next one come out? 😍
Kaitlin
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Of Blood and Bone series, a new series set in the same world as the Faithful and the Fallen books by Gwynne. This story starts a couple of generations after the time we follow through the FatF books, and so we're following quite a lot of new characters, with a couple of the surviving Giants also popping up. Many of the new characters are in some way descended from the characters we knew in the previous series, but you could certainly start with this book if you didn ...more
Mitriel
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So first of all, apart from a few notable exceptions, I’m not a huge fan of traditional epic fantasy. I much more prefer character-focused stories with epic prose, and for that reason it took me a while to get around to this book. Even at the beginning I struggled to make myself focus, to take in and remember who’s who and what exactly is going on in this world. But I really wanted to like the book, because of all those lovely people involved who I just adore: John Gwynne, of course, and helpin
David Katzman
Meh. It was okay. Hardly merits a review. If I wasn't 2/3 of the way through The Blade Within series by Joe Abercrombie, I might have been slightly more impressed by this as an epic fantasy than I was. On the strong side, the plot moved swiftly and successfully offered dramatic tension. I was anxious to find out what happened next and barreled forward. On the negative side, the characters were not much more than serviceable, and in fact one main character was incredibly annoying because she had ...more
Lynn Williams
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - full rtf.
A few days ago I finished A Time of Dread by John Gwynne, and I loved it so much that it made my ‘best of’ list for 2017. This is an author whose previous series, The Faithful and the Fallen, enjoys glowing reviews and yet for some reason I’ve never got round to reading them. I genuinely don’t know why that is and having now read A Time of Dread my only dilemma is whether I now go back and start with Malice? Anyway, nobody expects the Spanis
Richard
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fantasy
8.5/10

Having never read any of John Gwynne’s previous novels, but being aware of them and them being held in high regard, I was quick to request this as soon as I saw it. I was in for a treat!

This, soon to be, trilogy takes place in the same world as his previous books but some 100+ in the future. I don’t think having not read those books took anything away from reading this, I still found it really good, but I do think that having all that knowledge from the previous books would have enhanced m
  • Arrow of Death (The Rise and Fall #1)
  • The Ember Blade (The Darkwater Legacy #1)
  • Road Brothers
  • Master Assassins (The Fire Sacraments, #1)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Soul of the World (The Ascension Cycle, #1)
  • The Grey Bastards (The Lot Lands, #1)
  • The Heart of Stone
  • Stranger of Tempest (The God Fragments, #1)
  • Untitled (The Band, #3)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Blackguards: Tales of Assassins, Mercenaries, and Rogues
  • The Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #1)
  • A Little Hatred (First Law World, #8)
  • Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • The Traitor God
  • The Court of Broken Knives (Empires of Dust #1)
Malice is my debut novel. Goldsboro Books of London, specialists in signed first-editions, have made Malice their 'Book of the Month' for December 2012.

I was born in Singapore while my dad was stationed there in the RAF. Up until he retired that meant a lot of traveling around, generally a move every three years or so.

I live with my wife and four wonderful (and demanding) children in East Sussex.

Of Blood and Bone (2 books)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
“Sometimes the only answer is blood and steel” 5 likes
“And so many of them gone now. But their memory lives on. We shall never forget.” 1 likes