Start by marking “Swan Road” as Want to Read:
Swan Road

Swan Road

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Rhowenna has second sight and knows that her true fate lies with a raiding Norseman and not the English prince to whom she is betrothed. This historical romance is from the author of "Desire in Disguise" and "Upon a Moon Dark Moor".
Hardcover, Large Print, 566 pages
Published December 1st 1994 by Thorndike Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Swan Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swan Road

Naksed
I tried, for seven chapters, because it was really well written, but I just couldn't keep any suspension of disbelief. I mean, a Viking who explains his actions to his thrall and wrings his hands in shame and self-loathing for...you know...doing Viking stuff like decapitating his enemies and giving punishing kisses to his captive. It just doesn't fit.
Erin
''Swan Road'' By Rebecca Brendewyne has a realistic view of vikings-their way of life and their customs etc. But what really interested me was the romance between the heroine,Rhowenna and Hero,Wulfgar.
First of all, Find me a viking as sweet and endearing as Wulfgar-anyone? No? Okay.
This Guy does EVERYTHING for Rhowenna-EVERYTHING. He is more then willing to give up all he owns for her, and loves her from the moment he lays eyes on her.

The heroine, Rhowenna, who is often confused about her feel
Regan Walker
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads, vikings
Exciting Viking Saga Incorporating Real Historical Events!

Set in 865-866 A.D., this is the story of Wulfgar Bloodaxe, the bastard son of a Norse king who, with the advice of the “wise woman” who raised him, rises to claim his place among his people as a jarl. When Wulfgar learns that Rhowenna, Princess of Usk (in Wales) has been betrothed to the Prince of Mercia, he goes down the “Swan Road,” (the path the swans take flying south to the southern isles) to capture and hold her for ransom. Rhowenn
Lorka
Jul 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF - Ok I got about 60 pages into this book and I had to stop. I don't know if it was the writing or the actual story that bothered me. I right off the bat did not like all the background info that went on and on and on. So much info just to set the story up. I got bored really quickly and just wanted to get the story started already, geez. Another thing that bothered me, that never has before with Viking stories, was all the different mythical gods being described. So many different names to r ...more
Emily
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, norse, vikings
This was an okay read. Rhowenna is a princess of Usk, and Wulfgar is the bastard son of Ragnar Lothbrok. He's managed to claw his way up some, but when he hears of an opportunity to undermine his father and hated half-brother, Ivar the Boneless, by kidnapping Rhowenna, he does so. Despite being initially terrified of Ivar, Rhowenna falls in love with him, but before they can have their happy ending, they have to deal with Wulfgar's family and the political situation in England.

I think my biggest
Nessa
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this could be made into a film, it would be much more exciting to watch, especially the "mating dance" between Rhowenna and the Viking. And not to mention the gory bloodshed scenes.

I am rather fond of our HERO who is a brave, determined man who goes for what he wants and seizes it without fear. Especially when he repeatedly professes his love and lust for Rhowenna. Let's just say that his honesty is to be applauded for, even if it is considered crude in his time. Heck I think 21st century wom
ms bookjunkie
Old skool viking romance with a non-alphole, open-to-his-feelings hero. How…refreshing. Old skool beautiful, exquisitely competent heroine, but what can you expect? On the one hand, kind of fascinating. On the other hand…eek!

Warning: Contains problematic elements, including rape (though not of heroine because that would be bad *eyeroll*) and the "question" does rape matter if the rapee wasn't a virgin? *eyeroll till my eyes pop out of their sockets* All groups are "delightfully" and evenly cultu
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: thrifted
Ebon haired Welsh woman Rhowenna (LOVE THAT name!) has the gift of second sight, and with it she knows the certainty of her future. She knows for certain that her true destiny lies with the beautiful, blonde, buff, Viking hottie who is making her dreams hot. She knows her future is not with her actual betrothed; an English ass, a poncey prince.
The wild raiding Norseman wends his way into Rhowenna's heart, wanting her to be his wife, and they live happily as they sail off in his Viking ship...!!
Isabelle
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting historical context, based on a Viking legend. I enjoyed a lot more than I expected. Kept me interested to the end, I especially liked finding more about Vikings and their culture which of course was barbaric and cruel but they were also fearless and enjoyed the arts. Overall, a very satisfying read.
adoree
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lu, il y a fort longtemps. Déjà à l'époque, je trouvais que le héros était très dur et l'héroïne une fausse femme de tête (comme les romances savent en pondre).
Définitivement pas ma tasse de thé. Mais ce n'est pas archi mauvais. Il y a un beau travail de recherche historique chez l'auteur.
Pour celle qui aime les amours à la "dur".
2 étoiles.
  • Viking!
  • Sea Jewel (Viking Trilogy, #1)
  • Tara's Song
  • The Pagan's Prize (Captive Brides #3)
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • The Viking's Woman (Viking, #2)
  • Bond of Blood
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Escape Not My Love
  • Love a Dark Rider
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Nightsong
  • Knight's Caress
  • The Darkest Heart
20965
Born in Knoxville, Tennessee, Rebecca lived in Knoxville and then, later, Chattanooga for the first few years of her life. After that, she and her family moved to Kansas, where she grew up, spending her summers in Alabama, visiting both sets of her grandparents. She says she's just a country girl with a dash of big city sprinkled in for spice. But having traveled extensively in the United States, ...more
More about Rebecca Brandewyne...