Start by marking “A Couch for Llama” as Want to Read:
A Couch for Llama

A Couch for Llama

What happens when the Lago family needs a new couch? They get more than they bargained for!

When the family's perfect new couch accidentally whooshes off the top of their car, they discover that it has landed in a field occupied by an unsuspecting llama. Llama is confused at first--this new thing doesn't talk, taste good, or budge one bit.

How does Llama learn to love the
Published February 6th 2018 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Couch for Llama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Couch for Llama

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, cybils
A family buys a new couch after their old couch is worn out. On the way home, the couch falls off the top of the car and a llama finds it.

A story with funny pictures and a satisfying ending.
Tonja Drecker
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A llama's greatest wish is granted. . .one he didn't even know he had.

An active, full-of-life family is in dire need of a new couch. Off they go to the store, but while transporting the new piece of furniture back home, something goes terribly wrong. This sudden moment of bad luck is llama's fortune. He faces a couch in his pasture. . .now, if he can only figure out what it is and why it isn't as tasty as he'd hoped.

This is one to make llama fans' hearts beat faster. The llama is one curious cre
Heather
I've seen some really fabulous new children's book lately -- imaginative, lush -- but this one might be my favorite with its less-is-more vibe. The illustrations are wonderfully simple. The llama's face is hilariously expressive. LG does so much with so few words -- one feels one knows this family and their couch and their pride in getting to purchase a new one and then their kindness to a sad llama who has learned he loves to be comfortable.

Genuinely amusing for grown up readers and for small b
Olivia Slykhuis
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute book, I love the illustrations. The Lago family needs a new couch, but when they are driving home with it, they accidentally lose it. Llama finds it. Although not sure what to do with it at first, llama ends up being a couch lover. Lovely. Maybe a llama-themed storytime??
Jacki
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Adorable and funny.
Josie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
What happens when a couch suddenly appears in llamas field???? Find out!
Laela
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: silly, picture-books
100% silly. The illustrations make this book a perfect 5 out of 5 for me.

I like that there is a book out there about getting gifts you didn't know you wanted and finding out it is the thing that you need.
Crystal
This is an adorable and humorous children's picture book. Llama is a funny character who reminds me of some of my cats, and his interactions with the couch made me laugh. The art is bright and colorful and funny and delightful. I appreciate the racially diverse family that is depicted. I wouldn't suggest this for group reads, as many pages have multiple images, and children might miss out on the details if they weren't directly in front of the pages. But it would be terrific for reading with one ...more
Darla
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been eagerly awaiting the publishing of this book since the author told me about it in July of 2016. Leah Gilbert is my niece, so I have had the privilege of admiring her illustrations for many years. In my position as a librarian I see many picture books come through our doors. This is one of my favorites! The story is entertaining and the illustrations engaging. It would be great fun as a readaloud and I can envision libraries all over having llama-theme storytimes and sharing this book ...more
Garrett
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
Okay. Couches are EXPENSIVE. If you buy one, borrow a friend's truck or have the store deliver it. Don't just strap it to the roof of your VW Beetle-esque car. These people deserved to have their brand new couch messed up by a llama.
Baby Bookworm
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is A Couch For Llama by Leah Gilbert, an adorable story of a family, a farm animal, and a comfy couch.

The Lago family loves their couch, and it’s been the site of lots of memories for them: playing pretend, family meals, tickle and pillow fights, painting nails, and movie night cuddles. After such a well-loved life, however, their couch is starting to get pretty w
Lilith Day
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A couch for Llama is one of those books that are just hilarious.

The Lago family is your typical family. They loved their couch. Eventually, it was so loved, it was time to find a new one. On their way home, the couch did not make it.

Llama on the other hand, was not sure what he just found. It was not an animal or food. It did not move or run.

Without giving the ending away, I have to say this book is just plain old funny. The storyline is great and engaging for kids. It takes place in nature a
Katie
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
This is a really cute story. A family uses their couch until it is worn out, so they go purchase a new one. However, on the way home the new couch falls off the car and lands in a field with a llama. Llama explored the couch and a very llamay fashion, before discovering how comfy it is. But the family still needs the couch! They do take the new couch away from Llama but bring them back the old couch and everyone is happy.
I'm all for hand-me-downs, but part of me is bothered that the Llama falls
Arminzerella
The Lago family finds the perfect new couch to replace their old, much used, very beloved couch, but on the way home it flies off the top of their car - landing in llama's field. Llama has never seen a couch before and doesn't know what to make of it. By the time the Lago family returns to pick it up, he's totally in love with it. There's an easy solution that pleases everyone - the Lagos take their new couch home (sewing up the hole where the llama chewed it), and give their old couch to the ll ...more
Sandy Brehl
This is one of the most clever takes on a reuse/recycle story I've ever read. It almost feels like an excuse to illustrate an expressive llama in comical situations, poses, and predicaments, and yet it works better with a llama than with any other pasture animal I can imagine.
The diverse families early scenes, revealing the many ways in which they lovingly, creatively wore their couch out, are essential, yet make an extended intro to the inciting event: a couch landing in llama's pasture. The c
Jana
Families whose comfy couches are the centerpiece of their happy homes will definitely be able to relate to and enjoy this adorable story. The family in this sweet picture book cuddle, enjoy stories, eat, and play on the family sofa. Eventually it’s time to get a new couch. On the way home from the furniture store, the couch flies off the top of the car and into the field of a llama. Young readers will get a kick out of watching this animal fall in love and finding out how the family will get the ...more
Amber
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
A family needs a new couch after they decide that it is time to retire their well loved old one. Once they find the perfect new couch they hit a snafu and the couch falls off the top of the car. Suddenly Llama finds a couch in his pasture and he's not sure what to do with it. It doesn't want to share lunch with Llama and it doesn't talk to Llama. Llama decides it is useless... until he discovers that it is soft and cushy and bouncy! Oh what fun the couch is! But what happens when the f
Keri Douglas
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lago family shares alot of quality time on their couch and now it's time for a new one. After buying a new couch, it flies off the the top of the car and into llama's pasture. After initially not liking the couch or know its purpose, llama loves the comfortable couch. The family trades their old couch for the new one that llama has now worn-in. Simplistic and engagin illustrations with a beautiful multicultural family will leave all readers with a wonderful sense of love with a touch of humo ...more
Lynn
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable goofy delight of a picture book! Most families have a well-loved couch just like the one this family decides to finally replace. Most families will have shopped for furniture. Most families will NOT have a llama who puzzles over the sudden arrival of this strange new creature but EVERY reader will fall in love with llama.

The simple story line and absolutely enchanting illustrations combine for a laugh-out-loud reading treat.
Paulette
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A charming picture book to read with your favorite little ones. What happens when a young family with a well-loved couch, decides it's time to buy a new one? How does their project to buy a new couch end up involving a curious and lovable llama? Read and find out! Kudos to Leah Gilbert for her debut offering and beautiful illustrations - looking forward to more fun adventures @lalaleeeah
Michele Knott
This is one of those books that I think will be more fun to read to children than to read by yourself. It's silly, maybe a bit too silly, but may be the right kind of silly when you read it out loud to children who are looking for silly.
Vicki
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A humorous story about a family needing a new couch, what happens to it when they buy it and load it up on top of their.

And most important what happens to your old couch??

Nice illustrations with great color.
Brittany
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This little llama was so cute! A couch flies into his field, and he falls in love with its squishy cushions and coily springs that make him bounce. The story and the illustrations just make this book a perfect read for any family. Loved it! So cute!
Joy Keil
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clara
The illustrations are hilarious. This was a fun, easy read. Enjoyable story...and just LOVE the art. If you don't own it...go borrow it from the library.

Such a simple story, but we are currently in the mess up your couch stage, so it's pretty touching, relate-able, and cute.
Lesley
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What does an adorable llama do when it suddenly has its own couch? It does adorable things, that's what! I loved the illustrations and the story was super cute. I am going to buy it for all the tiny people in my life so they can share my love of llamas.
Amanda
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute!!! An adorable story that makes you laugh and reminds you of the warmth of family and generosity! The illustrations are clever and cute. I stumbled upon her signing at ALAMW and was so excited to meet a local author - especially one featuring one of the most endearing animals on the planet!
Jeni
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
Silly and delightful!
Jenny
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute, inviting art pulls readers into a surprisingly emotional tale about a llama, a family, and furniture. The llama's facial expressions alone make the book worthwhile.
Beth
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A family needs a new couch and when they attempt to take a new one home, hilarity ensues.
Heather Harden
This is one of those books that you read just because it's silly and fun.

• Peddles
  • Dad By My Side
  • Mister Bud Wears the Cone
  • Bear's Scare
  • Monster's New Undies
  • Can Somebody Please Scratch My Back?
  • Number One Sam
  • XO, OX: A Love Story
  • This Is a Taco!
  • I Won a What?
  • Poor Louie
  • Wild About Us!
  • Hedgehugs
  • Breaking News: Bear Alert
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • My Pet Wants a Pet
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Always