Start by marking “Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book: Completely Revised Updated” as Want to Read:
Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book: Completely Revised  Updated

Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book: Completely Revised Updated

An essential addition to the knitter's bookshelf.” —Library Journal (starred review)

The ultimate knitting reference, from the world’s most recognized knitting magazine, gets a thorough update—including 1,600 color images and brand-new sections with techniques and designs!

First published in 1989, Vogue Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book instantly became a beloved
Published February 6th 2018 by Sixth Books

Start your review of Vogue® Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book: Completely Revised Updated
Nostalgia Reader
An excellent update and expansion of the previous edition from 2003. In addition to expanding all the sections previous included (sweater design now includes more top-down options, circular knitting covers circular needle methods, more cast ons and bind offs are included in the basics section, etc.), there are many completely new chapters which focus on specific techniques and elements of knitting. These include cables, lace, directional knitting, advanced techniques (brioche, double knitting), ...more
Danielle
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Existing reviews already confirm that this is an excellent resource for knitters of all levels and has buckets of useful information. The only think I would have liked in addition would be simple example patterns of things like socks or sweaters. There’s a lot of information on how to design these things but a basic reference pattern would have been a nice addition.
Jacob
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm familiar with the previous editions of the book, but this one is so much better and offers so much more. They cut out all of the swatches and garment patterns and replaced them with more information about more techniques AND THEN they add 70 more pages of even more techniques. I'm so excited for the new entrelac and brioche sections, but I'm ecstatic about the new sections about designing accessories—socks, mittens, gloves, hats, and shawls! The shawl section is really, really cool and shows ...more
Marie Segares
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book: Completely Revised & Updated by the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine is the third revision of this knitting classic that was first published in 1989. Since then, over 1 million copies have been sold, and it’s for good reason.

The new 2018 version includes more cast on, increase, decrease, and bind off methods; sections covering brioche, entrelac, double knitting, and mosaic knitting; in-depth design and construction sections with options for
Jean
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Vogue Knitting, The Ultimate Knitting Book, by the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine, is a huge and wonderful book for your knitting library.
Simple to understand, it is an update from the beloved 2002 edition (which was updated from the original 1989 edition).
What the reader will enjoy is an expanded library of cast-ons, increases, decreases and bind-offs,
as well as in depth sections on brioche, entrelac, double knitting and mosaic knitting. As well, there are
brand new design and construction
Helen
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has undergone a major review since its last edition. Added are details on top-down design and knitting, the use of circular and interchangeable needles, and other useful details used in the construction and finishing of knitted garments. Cross referencing to related techniques is at each page bottom which is good if you've forgotten which page something was on!
Pictures and sections within the book are well delineated and easy to read - important if you need to find something in a
Cecilia
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in knitting
This is an extremely helpful book for someone learning how to knit. I've been using it to give me an idea of what sorts of things I don't know but need to know (this book helps with the "I don't know what I don't know"). The illustrations are only sort of helpful; I mostly just use the information in the book to look up YouTube videos on the techniques. This book is much more comprehensive than most knitting books geared to beginners, and even though I am only a beginner knitter, I would imagine ...more
Rachael
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
really great book. so good in fact i already have two just like it, which are smaller and easier to use as far as an index is concerned. had i known i already possess all this information either in my head or on my bookcase i wouldn't have bought another one, or i would have waited and sprung for an e-book/pdf version i could pull up on my phone wherever i happened to be at the time i needed to look something up. when i have a question it's usually a weird one and not going to be printed in a ...more
Katharine
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
So much more information than the ancient 1989 version I have on the shelf. Things have changed in knitting over the years. The 1989 version using different wording that isn't used today even though the stitches are often the same. I also found the addition of some of the newer techniques (circular, magic loop) a great resource. This might have to replace my old copy! Its just a better book.
Conny
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I learned to Knit in school a long time ago, and though some things stayed with me a lot has not and I needed a reference book that could explain some stitches, problems etc. It is very comprehensive and covers a lot, with great pictures that help you along. I have not used it as much as I wanted but I am glad I have it in case I need some inspiration and try something new.
Christine
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Would be a very good technique reference. I especially liked the sections on seaming and sweater constructions. I wish it had schematics and ease suggestions, but that's because I'm cheap and don't want to buy the ASTM charts.
S
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything about knitting, even techniques that have more recently become popular such as brioche and thrumming. I took it in to show the ladies in my knitting group and we immediately decided to by a copy for our meeting room.
lover-of-good-books
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft, favorites
This is a great resource book. I'm, apparently, the only person who checks this book out of my library so I've been renewing my checkout. Luckily, with EBATES and a great price on amazon I was able to buy this book for under $25 after taxes so it now has a permanent place in my library.
Leigh
Well-organized, beautiful, surprisingly improved update on what I thought was an unbeatable classic. I will be replacing the 2002 edition in my library with this one as soon as I can.
Hadi
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
A great resource, I especially like the section on shawl designs. I borrowed it from the library but will be buying a copy
Andi
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Five words: THE most comprehensive knitting book.
tinyteaplots
Lots of great info, very pleased with the update. Fantastic addition to my knitting library.
Love to read
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is AMAZING for any knitter, beginner or advance! It has tons of information, tips, and advice, besides beautiful pictures and recommendations! I love it!
Cyndi Smith
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
what i wanted to find within this book was too advanced. however it is one of the best basic technique books i've ever read.
Pamelafy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Indispensable
Ady
THIS is an amazing reference book! I borrowed it from the library, but I need my own copy for my bookshelf.
Nat
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, non-fiction
Great reference book for knitters, especially those wanting to create their own designs for garments.
Shannon
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing resource that covers every aspect of knitting you can think of, in enough detail to get you own your way. Starting with a history of the craft, Vogue takes the reader through basics like casting on and casting off, but gives overviews of more complicated things like colour knitting, stitch patterns, knitting styles, and finishing techniques. It's an indispensable part of my knitting reference library.
Jamie
Pauline
Nov 04, 2018
Cyndi
May 07, 2018 added it
I would like to get this tome from the library again someday when I have more time to really study it...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Knitter's Book of Knowledge: A Complete Guide to Essential Knitting Techniques
  • Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Complete Crochet Course: The Ultimate Reference Guide
  • Amy Herzog's Ultimate Sweater Book: The Essential Guide for Adventurous Knitters
  • Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece: Dip-Dyeing, Hand-Painting, Tie-Dyeing, and Other Creative Techniques
  • Yarn Substitution Made Easy: Matching the Right Yarn to Any Knitting Pattern
  • BraveTart: Iconic American Desserts
  • The French Laundry Cookbook
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • Charts Made Simple: Understanding Knitting Charts Visually
  • Norah Gaughan's Knitted Cable Sourcebook: A Breakthrough Guide to Knitting with Cables and Designing Your Own
  • Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible: 260 Exquisite Patterns by Hitomi Shida
  • The Stone Angel
  • Alterknit Stitch Dictionary: 200 Modern Knitting Motifs
  • Knitting For Dummies
  • Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
  • Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter
Vogue Knitting is SoHo Publishing's flagship title. Launched over twenty-five years ago, VK has set the bar for knitting, working with the biggest and most talented names in fashion today, including Michael Kors and Anna Sui. Led by Editor Trisha Malcolm, VK is published quarterly.