Start by marking “The Lost Future of Pepperharrow (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Future of Pepperharrow (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #2)

The Lost Future of Pepperharrow

(The Watchmaker of Filigree Street #2)

1888. Five years after they met in The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, Thaniel Steepleton, an unassuming translator, and Keita Mori, the watchmaker who remembers the future, are traveling to Japan. Thaniel has received an unexpected posting to the British legation in Tokyo, and Mori has business that is taking him to Yokohama.

Thaniel's brief is odd: the legation staff have
Published February 18th 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Future of Pepperharrow, please sign up.
Andover Library Yes you should. Not only is it a great book you'll find Pepperharrow easier to get into and more meaningful if you do.…moreYes you should. Not only is it a great book you'll find Pepperharrow easier to get into and more meaningful if you do. (less)
George In my last professional job I was, among other duties, a writer and the primary copy editor for a company, but nothing went out until two other…moreIn my last professional job I was, among other duties, a writer and the primary copy editor for a company, but nothing went out until two other employees had reviewed my work. This repeatedly proved wise; I'm superb, not perfect.

One of my frequent checkers told me that after acquiring the duty she always noticed that published books and magazines usually had at lest a few typos in them. There seems to be no way of completely preventing that completely.

I think this one is actually better than average, tho not as good as some. I noticed several misplacements of very short words but no misspellings--I just finished a different novel where nearly but not quite all cases of "discreet" were misspelled "discrete", and the content meant there were dozens of instances!(less)

Start your review of The Lost Future of Pepperharrow (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #2)
Robin Hobb
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of steampunk, ghost stories, clairvoyance and romance
Shelves: fantasy
The usual caveat: I received this book free as an advance reading copy from the publisher. I do not think that prevents me from giving an honest review.

Another caveat: While this book can stand alone, I believe one should read The Watchmaker of Filigree Street before diving into The Lost Future of Pepperharrow.

This story takes place a handful of years after the events related in The Watchmaker of Filigree Street.

Most of the events take place in 1888 and in a Japan that almost might have existed.
Catherine
Jul 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
MOTHERFUCKING YES Y'ALL
Mary Robinette Kowal
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend, gave-away
Dear God, I loved this book. I read it in ARC. Go pre-order it now and just trust me.

It's a sequel to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, which I also loved, but I think you can read it as a standalone.

Look, the voice in this is so strong. Each character feels vividly real. I love what she does with... a lot. But in particular, I love her handling of Six. This little girl is so clearly loved by her adopted fathers as she is. She's also, to a modern eye, clearly autistic but they don't have the
Anna Luce
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

The Lost Future of Pepperharrow is a somewhat disappointing followup to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street.
Having really enjoyed The Watchmaker of Filigree Street I was really looking forward to be reunited with Thaniel and Mori.

Within the first chapters I had a slight sense of deja vu. The main difference between this sequel and its predecessor is the setting: whereas The Watchmaker of Filigree Street took place in London, The Lost Future of Pepperharrow whisks us to an
Auribelle
Nov 10, 2017 marked it as remember
Shelves: wait-for-it
Thank Neptune, Katsu is back <3 Don't think I was ever so devastated over the 'death' of any fictional character... ever.
Oh, excited about the rest of the book, too ;)
lottie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
PULLEY HIVE RISE
Katie Lumsden
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute triumph. Natasha Pulley has done it again. Magnetic, clever, atmospheric and moving, this is a truly wonderful novel, and a worthy sequel to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street!
Kate
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Have you ever finished a book and it gives you whiplash? You are all immersed in it, you're ride or die with the characters, plot, and writing style, and then it ends and you feel like you went from 70mph to hitting a tree and the airbags just hit you in the gut and you're laying there confused about what to do now in life?

Yeah that was me with this one.

The Lost Future of Pepperharrow has all the mystery and eerie magical realism that Pulley's other books do. I think out of all of them
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'M IN FUCKIN BITS LADS
Lou
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Future of Pepperharrow, the sequel to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, is Natasha Pulleys third novel and one of the most exquisite works of historical fiction I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Once again Ms Pulley showcases her immense storytelling talent and writes with a devastatingly deft hand. I would highly recommend reading the preceding book beforehand as you will better understand the characters' motivations and why they developed to be how they currently are. This ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay mc, mlm Japanese li, Japanese characters & setting

this is actually 10 stars but gr won't let me do that.

me @ this book: (mr knightley voice) if i loved u less, i might be able to talk abt it more
Rhian Pritchard
I forgot how much I love the way Natasha writes, especially because our customers tend to be so Marmite about it. I understand why it doesn't work for some readers but I fall hard on the 'oh fuck I love what this does to me' side. It's full of detail and winding, to the point where about a hundred pages in I was getting to the 'okay Thaniel's just whining now, and while it's justified, it's still just whining' and then I had a Rebecca moment because DUH I should have trusted Natasha but I'm very ...more
Susan
Aug 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
Hmmmmmmm I see the blurb has been tweaked, Thaniel and Mori have not been no homo'd so blatantly now!

Like, why shy away from from the queer elements? The audience for this sequel is obviously going to be coming from the first book... where we all saw they became a couple? It's 2019, come on.

Review March 2018:
I've been hyped for this book for two years, but the publishers kind of killed it themselves when the blurb said Keita Mori was Thaniel's 'closest friend'.

Hello?? Closest friend???
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
(view
Elise (TheBookishActress)
wait is this for REAL
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
I dont tolerate you. I cant breathe when youre not here, I cant think, I cant write music properly, I spend my whole bloody life waiting for the post. I never said because I thought you didnt want to hear it. We dont talk about any of that.

On my blog.

Rep: mlm mc with synesthaesia, Japanese mlm mc, autistic side character, Japanese characters and setting

Galley provided by publisher

Hubris is thinking you are ready to write a review of a book that absolutely gutted you mere days after reading
Cadiva
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not sure just quite how to review this book.

It's such a complex narrative, wrapping a number of different threads together to create a rich mix of historical fiction with a steampunk style and a quiet bit of queer romance.

There's no spoilers here, it would utterly ruin the beautiful way Natasha Pulley's sequel to the truly brilliant The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, slowly gives up its secrets.

My heart was in my mouth on many occasions. The title itself a nod to a plot line which turns
Lauren James
[Gifted]
Plotted as intricately as clockwork, this weaves together historical political warfare with electromagnetic science research and magical clairvoyance. The characters are what really makes this sing, though: secretive, morally grey Mori, insecure and devastated Nathaniel and their adopted daugher Six, who is obsessed with electrics, and has autism. I love them all, and would happily read a whole series of their adventures.
Iona Sharma
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Shattering, complex, beautifully written, and kind of unbearable. Thaniel Steepleton is dying of tuberculosis; he's been sent by the Foreign Office to the British legation in Tokyo because they can, weirdly, see ghosts; Mori has come with him but is holding him at a distance, for reasons that are unclear but seem sinister. Things get complicated. More than that would spoil a perfect, complex and intricate plot, and also a devastating emotional arc, but this is a spectacular book and probably my ...more
Meep
Mar 29, 2019 is currently reading it
Unclear when this book is due but the blurb contains the magic word - KATSU
Obviously I NEED to read this ;)
Maine Colonial
I received a publisher's advance review copy.

First off, you really must read The Watchmaker of Filigree Street before reading this. Natasha Pulley doesnt waste a lot of time filling us in on the backstory of Thaniel Steepleton, Keita Mori, Grace Carrow, and Six, before were quickly in Japan.

Foreign office translator Thaniel is sent to Tokyo to look into strange stories about ghosts in the British legation, while Mori (the watchmaker of the prior books title), a Japanese baron, is returning home
Dawn C
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved, media-physical
I struggle to find words how to decsribe this, because to say that I loved it is too little. Im utterly, unequivocally in love with Natasha Pulleys delicate, affecting, melancholy writing, with her universe of clockwork and mystery and wonder, with Thaniel and Mori who have stolen my heart so completely and make my insides ache. Not to mention Katsu, the mechanical, sock stealing, pet octopus who thankfully survived from book one, and Six, Thaniels adopted daughter, now a clever nine year old ...more
Connie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mori, Thaniel and adopted daughter Six, travel to Tokyo Japan where the staff at the British Legation are seeing ghosts, and Thaniel's task is to find out what's going on. Strange electric storms manifest and Mori disappears - Mori has a gift and there are some who will stop at nothing to use it. This is a magical historical fiction with a thread of fantasy running through it. It's a follow up to The Watchmaker of Filigree Street and I feel like I've waited forever for this but it was definitely ...more
Sara Saif
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

Discovering that this book existed was akin to receiving a much hoped and desperately longed for present. I could not believe my eyes. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street is one of my all time favorites. It's one of those delightful books you're too awed by and never fully understand. But it was magical, and it cast a bubble of transportation around me, so that I felt myself inside it and saw everything as if with my own two eyes.

TLFOP explores Mori's origins and his powers in a manner that was
Agnieszka
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is so difficult to write a good sequel to a book that a) is Iconic, b) was not planned as a series from the very beginning. As Natasha Pulley tweeted herself, Pepperharrow went through editing hell, but it was so worth it, as the final result is continuing the excellent streak started with the Watchmaker.
There are many things that I love about this book with my brain - science!!! Musings on translation and translator's point of view! Six (as much as we love children who are fluff this is so
Elizabeth
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My biggest criticisms of Pepperharrow are the same as they were for Filigree Street: Natasha, I love you, but you CANNOT describe your Asian characters as doll-like. No, not even to illustrate how dumb your white narrators are being. There are other ways to do that are way less infantilizing.

Second, the female partners of your mlm characters are not problems to be solved. Their defeats/deaths/etc should not be something to celebrate. The fact that [redacted for spoilers]'s death was the
María
Feb 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
How am I just now finding out a sequel is coming out this year?! IM SO EXCITED!! ...more
Moog
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually rate books, but oh my GOD. My wife got an arc of this and I'm so glad because it has almost made my year.
Charlotte Burt
Back in the steampunk world of Thaniel and Mori but this time we are headed to Japan. A sequel where we discover lots of Keita Mori's backstory and his ancestral home. I found this book pretty slow to get into and the middle was fairly confusing, but it does all come together at the end and all makes sense.
Kasia
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so much more than I could have ever wished for. I'm speechless. The tiny ways that the characters fell apart and then rebuilt themselves was so expertly crafted, even though you could tell early on what the outcome would be. I'm speechless.
Vivienne
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enchanting sequel that builds on the world of Watchmaker

My thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing U.K. for an eARC via NetGalley of The Lost Future of Pepperharrow by Natasha Pulley in exchange for an honest review. It is available now in ebook with hardback and audiobook editions published on 5 March.

This is a direct sequel to Pulleys delightful 2015 debut novel The Watchmaker of Filigree Street. Having read and adored this in 2017, I was very excited to have the opportunity to read and review
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Water Dancer
  • Shatterglass (The Circle Opens, #4)
  • 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited!
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • Gilead
  • Call It What You Want
  • How to Be a Dictator: The Cult of Personality in the Twentieth Century
  • This Is Happiness
  • This Land Is Their Land: The Wampanoag Indians, Plymouth Colony, and the Troubled History of Thanksgiving
  • Lateral Cooking: One Dish Leads to Another
  • Secondhand: Travels in the New Global Garage Sale
  • The Sound of the Hours
  • The Moves That Matter: A Chess Grandmaster on the Game of Life
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
Natasha Pulley is a British author, best known for her debut novel, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street , which won a Betty Trask Award.

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (2 books)
  • The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #1)