Start by marking “The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #2)

The Pirate Bride

(Daughters of the Mayflower #2)

A Former Privateer and a Desperate Heiress Join Forces to Find a Treasure
Jump on board with a brand new series for fans of all things related to history, romance, adventure, faith, and family trees.

One hundred years after her mother's family came to the New World on the Mayflower, Maribel Cordova has landed in New Orleans to seek the man who holds the key to finding her
Published April 1st 2018 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Bride, please sign up.
Teresa Williams No. In fact, I have not yet read book 1. I am definitely going to now!

Staci
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Delightful! In book two of the Daughters of the Mayflower Series, the main character Maribel "Red" Cordoba is a spunky ten year old enamored with the lives of pirates and has her head stuck in a book. The banter she has with the captain of her ship is pure fun. Secondary characters added depth and enjoyment to the first part of the novel.

Maribel is a young woman in the second half of the story. Her spunk and love for books is still pleasantly in place. I would have liked for the second half to
Julie Carpenter
It's been a little while since I've stayed up all night and read a book. Spring break was last week for my kids and with lots of projects and activities planned as a family, I hardly even sat down to read at all. Not even audiobooks. Well Saturday evening after all the kids were in bed, I told my hubby that I was disappearing in a book. Ha! I had just finished a collection of novellas that I read so piecemeal that I just wanted to sit and devour a book. Now, I hadn't intended to read the whole t ...more
Marlene
"We are privateers, not pirates… We operate legally under Letters of Marque, and we conduct ourselves with honor and in accordance with the laws of France."

The Pirate Bride (2018, Barbour) by Kathleen Y'Barbo is second in the The Daughters of the Mayflower series. It is a Christian historical novel (with some romance) in multiple settings: "in the waters of the Caribbean Sea; April of 1724" and on the fictional "Isla de Santa Maria … and New Orleans, Louisiana; May of 1735." It is definitely
Hannah
Loved the fun shipboard parts to this. It's got more than a few nods to classic swashbucklers, which I appreciated, as I'm a big sucker for Sabatini and such. The first two thirds was five stars, but the last third became too hurried and the ending, while satisfactory, didn't delve so deep into the characters and tied things off too fast, leaving me with a bunch of questions about what happened next. I think if it had been a regular length novel with a longer, more detailed ending, it would have ...more
Deanne Patterson
This is the second book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series. A wonderfully enjoyable read . I enjoyed reading about this scrap of a girl, a fiery redhead. I don't read many books taking place mostly on a ship let alone a privateer ship in the warm Caribbean. I love following the family through American history. A bit of a mystery follows the family. Likable, for the most part characters , believable plot that wrapped up nicely. It was refreshing to see Maribel Cordoba is not one of those pr ...more
Loraine
This book was not quite what I expected as I thought it would be about another woman who was on the Mayflower. Instead, it is about Maribel Cordoba, a descendent of Mary Chapman Lytton the heroine of Book 1. But it was a well written, high seas adventure with pirates, appealing characters, plot twists, and faith.

Maribel is a sweet tomboy, fiercely independent, intelligent, determined, unforgettable, and a bookworm. Her favorite book is about pirates and she spends many an hour dreaming of being
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I loved the adventure in this book! I learned the important difference between a pirate and a privateer, and loved Maribel's enthusiasm for her adventure at sea. The story begins with a young Maribel being kidnapped by her absentee father who is being chased by the infamous privateer Captain Jean Beaumont. Her immediate allegiance to Jean was interesting, and he and his crew couldn't help but be won over by her bright and frank personality. There are politics, skirmishes, and intense battles tha ...more
Sarita
Rating 4,5 stars

I loved this book. It was filled with adventure, humour, fun memorable characters and twists I did not see coming.

Maribel was a fun, independent, adventurous 12 year old and later 23 year old women. I loved her love for books and adventure and how she stayed true to herself, even though society saw things different when she came to New Orleans.

Jean-Luc was a dashing spirited character. I enjoyed all his adventures and especially the scenes with him as a privateer.

I adored Abiga
J. W. Garrett
The Daughters of the Mayflower series:

Book 1: The Mayflower Bride
Book 2: The Pirate Bride

The Pirate Bride worked as a stand-a-lone since each of the other books will feature different time periods. Future books in this series will be published throughout the rest of this year and will feature different authors. These books of faith present stories of love, historical settings, high adventure, and family trees.

Jean-Luc Valmont first met Maribell Cordoba during the conflicts between Spain and Fra
Susan
Though this is the second installment in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, it can easily be read as a stand-alone novel.This book offers the reader a fantastic adventure on the high seas. Pirates, political intrigue, family secrets and romance make this a fast-paced enjoyable read. I loved the feisty heroine, Mirabel. The hero, Jean-Luc inspires unfailing loyalty.
Although this book appears to be a quick, entertaining read, don't miss the spiritual thread woven throughout. Some of my favor
Sarah Monzon
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is what I’d call my guilty pleasure type of book. The fast pace kept me engaged and entertained. A fun way to spend a few hours.
Melanie
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Pirate Bride was so much better than the first book, The Mayflower Bride. I really liked the characters and found it interesting how the story started out with the MC being young and then jumped ahead 11 years. I found both portions of the book to be interesting.

The romance was okay; I didn't connect to it, but that may have just been me and my reading mood at the time. The writing style was great and I found it to be an easy read.

All in all, The Pirate Bride was a good read and I a
Missy
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was such an enjoyable read. It followed Maribel Cordoba (Red) the young daughter of a Spanish ship captain and Jean-Luc a French ship captain. After taking over the ship of Maribel and her father, Jean-Luc forms a special place in his heart for Red, though he does not realize it for years later. Maribel is a reader of pirate books, knowing all ships, the duties of all aboard, and cannot help but irritate the French captain. After years of searching for the rebellious Red who has grown ...more
Brittany
The Pirate Bride was full of many interesting and dangerous situations. I feel that I learned a lot as I read the story.

This book was divided into two sections. One setting took place around the time that the main character, Maribel, was a child and detailed the events that surrounded her capture by privateer Jean-Luc Valmont. The other setting took place in the time when Maribel was a grown young woman.

I was very interested in seeing how things played out for these characters throughout the yea
Jerry
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: As a child, Maribel was on the privateer Jean-Luc's ship. Years later, Jean-Luc has put his pirating days behind him...until a grown Maribel, who never forgot him, appears on his doorstep. Can he open his heart to someone from his former life?

The Good: This was well-written and engaging.

The Bad: Parts of it I had trouble following, but, the story was so sweeping, I didn't mind.
Joleen
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: privateer, mayflower
I enjoyed the first book in this series, but this one, not so much.

Oh, actually, I really liked the first 80%. But after one of the characters (Maribel), missing 11 years, whose mother and grandfather searched for year after year, was then "found" in a convent and brought home... it went downhill from there.

Story issues for my benefit only. Spoiler, so I don't suggest reading on.
(view spoiler)
Amy Leigh
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I read this book immediately following The Mayflower Bride since it is a series but they can be read as standalones. Maribel is the great granddaughter of Mary but that's the only real mention from the first book. This is a Christian/Young Adult/Historical Fiction book and I really enjoyed it. In fact I flew through it and liked it more than the first of the series. Thank you for not having that preachy feel with this book.

Maribel is 12 when she loses her mom and grandfather and is forced to cr
Karen R
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read full of adventure! A descendant from the Lytton family tree from book one of the series, Maribel Cordoba finds herself having quite an adventure as a twelve year old when out at sea with her estranged father. The story fast forwards to eleven years later on as she begins a new life in New Orleans, in 1724.

I enjoyed the character of Maribel, with her insatiable curiosity, friendly nature and intelligent bantering with the shipmates, especially Captain Jean. It was a fun story t
Anne
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Pirate Bride is a real treasure. It has been a long time since I read a novel featuring a pirate or rather privateer, as Captain Jean Beaumont continually reminds Maribel. The story and its characters engulfed me from the first page.

Y’Barbo has crafted an exciting tale of adventure on the high seas and in exotic locales. Combining snappy dialogue and witty characters, my attention never wavered. I did not experience one moment of boredom aboard ship or on land. The descriptions are incredib
Jaime Jo Wright
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
In a captivating tale of the seas, Y’Barbo gives readers a unique story of history and romance. Not just your everyday pirate tale, readers will fall in love with the troubled soul of a ship captain, and an unclaimed waif destines to take ownership of his heart. A story of loss, of love, and of the budding foundations of a nation still in infant form. This is a don’t-miss on my list!
Paula Shreckhise
The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y’Barbo.
This is second in the series The Daughters of the Mayflower and is set in 1724 to 1735 in the Caribbean and New Orleans.

Building on the heritage of faith seen in the first book, this was an exciting tale of the times when the relations between Spain, France and England were constantly changing. Kathleen has done an admirable job incorporating her research into the story of a spunky heroine and a swoon worthy and upstanding hero.
Maribel Cordoba and her father
Kristin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Ahoy there, mateys! This book was a lot of fun. I loved Maribel—she reminded me of a swashbuckling Anne of Green Gables. I was intrigued from the very first page.

While this book left me with a few unanswered questions and I felt that the pacing was a bit erratic, I still thought this book was quirky and enjoyable. Again, I can’t help but compare it to Anne.

The story felt fairly juvenile to me but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. Not to be redundant but the quirk and humor are what sold this
Kara
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-review-copy
When I saw the title, I knew I couldn't resist a good pirate story and it was my first time reading this author :) It starts off a little slow for me, but the as Maribel changes ships early in the story after what happens to her father, I was hooked to see what happened next to her. I was heartbroken and deeply touched when Evan Connor saves the captain's life and how well he pulled it off. Captain Beaumont somehow survives so much and I was amazed by what he endures.

Truly loved the nuns and how
Shantelle
The Pirate Bride was a book that I, personally, just didn't care for. It's a little disappointing for me, because I was quite excited about this multi-author series, DAUGHTERS OF THE MAYFLOWER. Now, being that the other books are by different authors, I will be continuing this series, even though The Pirate Bride is not one I'll be keeping on my bookshelf.

So, what were my problems with this book? I can't exactly pinpoint everything. I just never really got invested in the story. There were a bun
Scarlett
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Barbour Publishing for an ARC of this book!

I think this book is more like a 3.5 for me. It had a lot of good things going for it. The characters really were really likable and I found myself thinking about them even after I had stopped reading. The writing was good and several times I said I was only going to the end of the chapter and then I’d want to keep reading when I got to there. And I will admit that I thought this book was very straightforward, just going to be a
The premise and historical context of this story were fascinating but the execution missed the mark for me. There was a lot of telling, not enough showing, and the character and plot development just weren’t there. Quite a bit was going on plot wise, but the author glossed over the lot of it. I’m sorry I didn’t like this more. :(

The message that God can be found in our messed up world was the best part of this story, and the ending was sweet as well. An epilogue would have been appreciated, but
Dana Michael
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a fun, sweet, mystery filled adventure. I felt as if I was swept away on a privateer ship in the Caribbean. With a little red headed girl who endeared herself to the crew as Red.The Captain, a handsome, feared, and brave man who had me swooning. I was captivated by this read.

The talented author is new to me and I will most definitely be reading more from her. With that said, I would love to see these characters again with maybe William Spencer as the hero.😉

*I was given a copy of t
Bhriv
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Pirate Bride: Daughters of the Mayflower, by Kathleen Y'Barbo is the first book I think I've read by this author.
What a great read! Loved every page of this story!
I didn't think it was full of romance but more the hope of it and very satisfying ending. My favorite character was Jean-Luc...daring, adventurous, and everything a mother wouldn't want for her daughter, but then again...everything she would! :)
Can't wait to read other books by this author!
I received a copy of this book from the
Margaret
Book 2 in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, The Pirate Bride was a relatively quick read - coming in at 251 pages . Maribel Córdoba is a precocious 10 year old in love with reading and pirates.

Her adventure on the high sea sets the course and concludes when she is a young woman in New Orleans. I won’t go into details about the in between time suffice to say her life takes a direction in the least expected way.

The Pirate Bride is a story of mystery, adventure, new beginnings and faith. This
Susan Snodgrass
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Pray the fear away. Pray the fear away." These are words that Maribel Cordoba's mother drilled into her as a child when she was afraid. Now she must use them.

Kathleen Y'Barbo's book, The Pirate Bride, part of the Daughters of the Mayflower series that will continue through the end of the year, takes readers out onto the high seas for a wonderful adventure.
I have long enjoyed Y'Barbo's books and own many of them. She is quite adept at switching genres and her historical research is impeccable. D
ACPL Online Book ...: Piracy, Romance, Redemption! 1 5 Apr 10, 2018 06:56AM
Bestselling author Kathleen Y’Barbo is a multiple Carol Award and RITA nominee of more than eighty novels with almost two million copies in print in the US and abroad.

A tenth-generation Texan and certified paralegal, she has been nominated for a Career Achievement Award as well a Reader’s Choice Award and is the winner of the Inspirational Romance of the Year by Romantic Times magazine.

To connec

Daughters of the Mayflower (8 books)
  • The Mayflower Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #1)
  • The Captured Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #3)
  • The Patriot Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #4)
  • The Cumberland Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #5)
  • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #6)
  • The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #7)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #8)
“He is beyond our reach. We must give him to the Lord and pray the Lord gives him back to us again.” 0 likes