Start by marking “Skin & Earth #1” as Want to Read:
Skin & Earth #1

Skin & Earth #1

(Skin & Earth #1)

Skin & Earth is a story of a girl looking for hope in a hopeless world. Caught between romance and cults, gods and mortals, and just trying to find a good borscht, Enaia Jin is lead down a dark path by new lovers that reveal a twisted fantasy world and her own true nature. Set in a post-apocalyptic future where corporations rule, this adventurous tale of loneliness, de ...more
Published July 12th 2017 by Dynamite

To ask other readers questions about Skin & Earth #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skin & Earth #1

Eilonwy
GR is only listing the Kindle version, but I picked up the paper version of this yesterday. I don't usually rate individual comic book issues, but this was so gorgeous and intriguing that I have to call it out. "Lights," the author, has both written and illustrated the comic. And apparently she sings, too, and there's a concept album to go with the comic. I'm a little put off by her having modeled the main character here, Ennaia Jin, on her own appearance, but not so much that I won't run out an ...more
Emily B
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 rounded up

I really liked the artwork and the storyline was ok. I wasn’t immediately blown away by it. I think I need to read more to truly get into it
Fables&Wren
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
WrensReads Review:

This is such a unique experience because this Canadian singer, LIGHTS, is writing a comic to go along with her new album. It tells a story and the music coincides with the pictures and words drawn out.

I usually don’t do things by issues, but I am going to her concert 10/06/17 with my sister and wanted to make sure I was up to date on her new album and the comic goes along with it.

So, the story kind of reminds me of Want by Cindy Pon. The air is all polluted and if you were ric
Bree Hill
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Call it a Strength..or call it a Weakness..
But I do this thing where I forget all of my fear when I find something Beautiful.
And in an ugly world, when you find something Beautiful,
You’d do anything to keep it.”

Eerily realistic to everyday stuff you see when you turn on the news in America..what you may see if you go to any major city—we’re expanding out, getting away from this and leaving you what we leave behind. And the beauty in it all is that one thing that provides you a glimmer of hope.
Lauren Hanning
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Too short to really give a review. A utopian feel to the book with an overall grungy feel! The romance is okay so far. I could do without the cussing, but other than that, the over idea and theme was great! Much potential!
Kim
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty cool first issue. Not too much going on which is sometimes good when we're being introduced into a apocalyptic world. I felt like I could keep track of what was happening and slowly learn about the social and political aspects of this "new world". I'll definitely pick up issue #2
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
Picked this up because I adore Lights and it was a pretty solid first issue. Interested to see where it goes! I'm a bit lost on the world building, but hopefully it gets more fleshed out as the series continues.
Gen
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lights is my favorite EVER, so obviously I love this. Very cool apocalyptic premise with a kick ass heroine and tons of potential. The fact that her new album is the sound track for Skin & Earth is honestly my favorite part.

Another really cool aspect of this project is the social media component. If you haven't already, check out @skinandearthworld on Instagram for extra knowledge nuggets about En (the MC) and her world. As new S&E issues come out, new aspects of the world are unlocked
Steph
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, 2017
Within just a short amount of pages, Lights has already set up such an interesting world. While I'm excited for the next issue, I'm even more excited for the tie-in album. I think the album will add even MORE to the story.
Elaine Roman
Reading the comic while listening to the song is fun. After reading the comic and really listening to the lyrics afterwards is highly recommended as well. Its very interesting and unique. I love Lights even more now!
FlimsyGlass
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never picked up a comic. Ever. This is my first comic. I have never read Archie or Batman or whatever. But this project caught my interest- who can deny the originality and creativity behind it? Lights has always been a guilty pleasure; someone I used to listen to when I was younger, but undeniably talented (unlike much of everyone else I listened to). I found Lights through her song with BMTH, and she's somehow still relevant to me, especially since I read this.

Heavy world-building in th
Paola (ElvenBookworm)
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lights is easily in my top three favorite musicians of all time, so when I found out she was releasing a comic book, I had to preorder it immediately!

Lights has always had a huge love for comics, so going into this, I had really high expectations. And, let me tell ya, this did not disappoint! The world-building is extremely impressive, from the Instagram posts explaining all the different aspects of this world to the atmosphere she has managed to create. I have a really good grip on the hopele
Rachael
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the first comic book I've ever read and it was amazing! I loved the story and I can not wait for the next issue to be released later this month. The artwork was also pretty great! The story follows the girl Enaia Jin (En) in a post-apocalyptic future. I love the way that Lights is incorporating her new album in the comic book. I listened to her songs 'Skydiving' and 'Giants' before I read this comic, so while I was reading I could see the lyrics to her song 'Skydiving' within the story ...more
John Mccubbin
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Skin & Earth #1 is a pretty underwhelming opening issue, as despite having an interesting concept, the story as a whole is rather dull. The creator also makes it hard to like the main character, as despite not quite being dislikeable, Enaia Jin does lack any real personality.

Read the full review here: http://www.snappow.com/comics/skin-ea...
Leah
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read as many comic books as I should, but I ordered the whole series because I wanted to read them with the accompanying album and let me tell you, I was not disappointed. En is charismatic and honest, and approaches sexuality, identity, hope, love, light and darkness with a sort of realness that you wouldn't expect from someone's first release.
Charlotte Render
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"It all starts here, with a rush of blood to the head."

The fact that Lights not only released an album alongside this but this is her own artwork as well. I have been listening to this album since January and I pretty much know the order/lyrics of the songs and this comic just adds to it all. I do love a good concept album, the story that goes with it is very very good.
abby barnett
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
First issues are SO FUNNN and this one definitely. I was fortunate enough to see Lights open for PVRIS after months and months of seeing Good Dye Young post about her😂😂 so I got hooked onto 2 or 3 songs. Then I bought tickets to her headlining show in March. NOW IM OVERWHELMED WITH THIS WORK. Anyways I love En and the world so far. Priest is super cute...
Karen
LIGHTS has been one of my favourite artists for nearly ten years, so I might be completely biased but when your favourite singer decides to make a comic book - and writes, draws, and inks the entire thing - as a companion to her latest album, it is the most amazing thing EVER.
(And in my opinion as an avid comic book reader, I highly recommend you read it. Seriously. Do it. Now.)
Regina
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Usually don't rate single issues but I couldn't wait to dive into Lights' first comic! Very good world building and explaining in this one. Cannot wait to see what she has in store for us, also how it will tie into her new record.
Katt
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

After a long time debating if I should get the kindle version of the comics...i finally took the Plunge and BOY AM I PLEASED. Lights did an amazing job and there is no limit to her talents.
Meghan
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really really good. Just really good. The characters are interesting. I desperately needed to find out what was going to happen next. The environmental allegory was amazing. Definitely recommend if you like indie genre comic books.
Molly
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read it while listening to the album

LIGHTS is a brilliant songwriter and now comic book author. Skin and Earth takes place in another reality, but it mirrors our current society. First issue gets you hooked!
Mikaela Schumacher
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Is there anything she can’t do???!!
Amanda (:
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eeeep!!
Kendra Chanocua corona
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Couldn't put it down for one sec. Its torture knowing that I have to wait till August for the next issue!
Rainey
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Cool art.
Jason
Promising first issue presents intriguing post-apocalyptic world and characters with some mystery to get you to come back for more.
Korhz
May 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I love this! I love LIGHTS and this is gold. Can't wait to read all the books.
San Frazier
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like it.. I was not sure about taking this story line on but tis good. It was an easy ready with complexity. I am happy that I this story caught me. I can not wait to read what happens next.
Mersini
Wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm a fan of Lights, so figured "why not?". Turns out I'm into this.

• The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee
  • Food of the Gods (Gods and Monsters: Rupert Wong #1-2)
  • The Tower of Fear
  • Darkness Hidden (The Name of the Blade, #2)
  • The Essential Guide to Freelance Writing: How to Write, Work, and Thrive on Your Own Terms
  • Darkest Light
  • Masquerade (Micah Grey, #3)
  • The Clockwork Crown (Clockwork Dagger, #2)
  • Shadow Blizzard (Chronicles of Siala #3)
  • Luisa: Ici et là
  • How Mirka Caught a Fish
  • Miracle and Other Christmas Stories
  • Siren Sisters
  • Historia de una maestra (Trilogía de la memoria, #1)
  • Violent Love, Vol. 1: Stay Dangerous
  • Assassin's Creed: Heresy (Assassin's Creed, #9)
  • The Golden Twine
  • Sunday In The Park With Boys
Always pushing boundaries, alt-pop phenomenon Lights has never shied away from a challenge. Through her first three records, Lights built an incredibly passionate fanbase, selling out tours around the world, earning 100M in U.S. streams, 200K in U.S. album sales, and two JUNO Awards, not to mention the 2M + rabid fans who follow her every move online. Yet through this success, she felt like she ha ...more

Skin & Earth (6 books)