Start by marking “But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  1,420 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This ground-breaking collection provides hours of enjoyment for the general reader and a wealth of materials needed to develop course units on black women; political theory, literary essays on major writers, guidelines for consciousness-raising about racism, and surveys of black women's contributions to the blues. "Important and innovative."--Feminist Bookstore News
Published January 1st 1993 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published 1986)

Tressie Mcphd
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have a complicated history with feminism that is probably not unique for a post-civil rights/black power movement black woman. But, all issues with the word feminism aside, I recognized myself too much in these essays to deny that whether I like it or not, I am constantly inhabiting multiple worlds. If the black man's plight is double-consciousness the black woman's must be a quad-consciousness. Michele Wallace's essay could well be my life save the 15 pounds she actually lost. She ends her es ...more
Craig Cunningham
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book exemplifies the early specifc work done in the area of African American feminism. I loved the book, and have often had the opportunity to read it over and over again. Also, looking at this text as a required reading in my African American History Class. Superb!!!
Ernest Sneed
This is the text that is the foundation for the creation of black feminist studies in the university setting. The book gives a framework to understand the impact of races, sex, and class status on the African American woman. This book is a very important historical document and political statement for African American women and an understanding of the importance of the "examined life" for black women.
Carmen Slaughter
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book for years but ever so often I revisit it. I'm always inspired and amazed when I do. Essential reading for men and women of all backgrounds.
Andi
Amazing. These women wrote stuff that is still so relevant today, brilliantly tackling the intersection of racism and sexism and the unique experiences black women live in our society. There are a lot of different essays with very strong voices analyzing every angle. Must read. Absolutely phenomenal.
Beth
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-school
An interesting portrait of the moment when black women's studies was beginning to come into its own...a great book for understanding the historiography of the field in the mid-1980s.
Massielita
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So many of the points of view expressed in the essays in this book are still applicable and accurate today. Specifically that feminism needs to be intersectional.
Camilla Lyons
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Even thought, I just started to read it. I find the book very in depth with our issues of yesterday and today. I think this book should be on every black woman and men shelves.
Gina
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really important book, but not always easy reading. There are some wonderful essays, especially Alice Walker's "A Child of One's Own". In the process of supporting the study of intersectionality before the term even existed, though, there are pieces like bibliographies and course syllabi, and reading over them can drag.

That being said, some of those bibliographies in their descriptions really give an idea of the work that was necessary, and in how rewarding it could be. This was espec
Sruti
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Direct, deeply felt, and sorely needed. I skimmed through the bibliographies and course offerings, but the rest - the pieces underscoring the need for intersectional social movements and the "engaged" rather than the "objective" analysis of black women throughout history - made this a skillful work.
Meg
Aug 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 50, feminism
A lot of it is bibliographies and syllabi, advice for classwork and so on. Awesome for that purpose but not a text for a casual reader. I will definitely be using the bibliographies to find more books.
jewelthinks
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The section on black women writers phenomenal. I was enjoying this section so much that I slowed down my reading to savor the essays.

Bottom line: GET THIS BOOK NOW!
Ghadah Al_bariqi
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Black woman searching for her identity and proving her autonomy.
Cata
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stellar commentary. Insightful for the time when it was originally published and still very a relevant reaction to mainstream middle class straight white feminism.
Jacqueline Roebuck
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
an excellent reflection of the gaps that occurred in the feminist movement between european american women and women of color
Cara Byrne
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
An incredibly important collection framing Black women's studies and noting the many unrecognized contributions of Black women in America during the last four hundred years.
BMR, MSW, LSW
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read on a Kindle. I need to get it in print because there is so much to save and reread.
Paula Roy
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras: Creative and Critical Perspectives by Feminists of Color
  • Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
Akasha Gloria Hull (born December 6, 1944) is a poet, educator, writer, and critic whose work in African-American literature and as a Black feminist activist has helped shape Women’s Studies. As one of the architects of Black Women's Studies, her scholarship and activism has increased the prestige, legitimacy, respect, and popularity of feminism and African-American studies.

Dr. Hull has been a pro
More about Akasha Gloria Hull...

Nonfiction Deals