Start by marking “His Competent Woman (British Billionaire Boss #1)” as Want to Read:
His Competent Woman (British Billionaire Boss #1)

His Competent Woman (British Billionaire Boss #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In desperate need for money, Emma applies for a job with handsome billionaire Curtis West. She's not really qualified for the job and to make matters worse, she loses her temper during the interview and fudges her credentials. Can she pull it off or will this end in tears?
Kindle Edition
Published July 2017 by Amazon Digital Services (first published April 14th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about His Competent Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Competent Woman

Clarice
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good, short read! Having been a single mom before, I can identify with the struggles and I can say the author hit it right on the head. It's not easy trying to provide for yourself, much less a child, with today's economy. But Emma is doing her absolute best. She is a character to admire for her will power to do what must be done to help keep food on the table and get her son whatever help he needs. When she lands a much better job, her employer seems a bit spoiled at first. Bu ...more
Babs
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Emma is a single mom who lost her husband. She is not having a good day as she finds out her son has Dyslexia. Her job is not the greatest and she has to find something that will pay for his testing, classes and help. As she returns to the help agency she learns of a job that she is not quite qualified for but takes the chance.

The owner of the company does not like women as he lost three workers in one day. As Emma is waiting to be interviewed she hears Curtis talk about what he wants a woman w
Judy Miracle
This was an amazing short read. I sat down and had it read within an hour. I could not put it down.

Some of the struggles Emma goes through with being a single mom hit close to home with me. But the way that Ellen writes this story she hits those struggles on point. Emma does her best to give her son everything he needs even if that means she goes without. When she finds out her son needs a special test done she worries she won't have the money needed for it. But when a job opportunity opens up
Sue
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had already read books under one of this author's other pen names...but they weren't as fluffy, funny, sweet and playful as this one was.
A woman in dire need of funds to pay for a specialist for her son's disability, meets a handsome, stern, alpha-male boss who needs someone like her to get his office back on track and in the process, they both discover that opposites DO attract. There was a lot of English humor, phrases, foods etc. that made this one different to read but I enjoyed it very mu
Roxie's Reviews
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-must-read
"This is a Sweet and Awesome Billionaire Romance"
The storyline is wonderful with fantastic characters.
Emma is a curvy single mother and widow. Her husband had been killed in Iraq before their son Ben had been born. Emma has struggled to raise Ben on her own but she loves it!. When she learns Ben has Dyslexia Emma knows she needs a better job. When a position comes open with Weston Enterprises she goes for it even though she is not qualified for it. When she gets there for the interview Emma he
Deb
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fiction
Oh my! What an awesomely delightful, short must read in contemporary romance! This author has a knack for story telling & descriptions, with witty dialogue and fun, relatable characters that will engage readers & take you on an enjoyable ride! ... I was hooked right away, making this a fast and easy page-turner that I did not want to put down! I highly recommend this to all fans of fiction & look forward to more like this from Ms. Whyte!
Gill Selling
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is quite a light hearted read. I have read other books by this author. Although completely different. I loved it.
Emma is a strong character. who was widowed 7 years previously. Trying her best to care for her son.
She somehow manages to become PA to Curtis.
This is a book with a feel good factor. I got lost in the romance of it all.
Melissa Feist
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Emma from the get go. She was funny and strong. Her back story was bittersweet and added so much to her spunk and determination. Curtis, cracked me up! The inner office drama in the beginning with his HR manager had me giggling. These two were fun to read and seeing them find love and happiness was heartwarming. Perfect from beginning to end.
Jayne
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a new genre for Ellen Whyte, who is better known as dark romance/suspense author AJ Adams.

I was expecting great things of this book, which is a fairly quick read at 100 pages, and I wasn’t disappointed. This is a hugely enjoyable addition to the popular BBW-Billionaire genre, with an engaging character in the form of Emma, struggling to make ends meet with her young son, who has just been diagnosed as dyslexic. In order to pay for the equipment and tutoring he will need in t
Fani
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
"His Competent Woman" had a very interesting premise, Emma, our heroine, is a single mom trying to raise her son by herself. After discovering that he is dyslexic and she cannot pay a special tutor to help him, she gets a job in a billionaire's company even though she doesn't have the neccessary credentials. Though it was interesting seeing Emma trying to handle a job that she knows nothing about and in the meantime find love again with Curtis, i wanted more from this story. For me this book did ...more
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed His Competent Woman. I loved the fact Emma used her intelligence and competence to win over Curtis instead of sex appeal. Not that she wasn't attractive. She just had more important things to worry about than being sexy and acting flirtatious. She had her head firmly attached to her shoulders and her priorities in order. That is my idea of a perfect heroine.

Curtis was a good, intelligent man but he needed a no-nonsense woman like Emma in control of his business affairs. The
Dana Busenbark
One of the cutest little romances I have read. We get to meet Emma and her son Ben. We find Emma sitting with Ben's teacher, discussing his academics. As Emma gets more news from the teacher, she starts to feel more and more out of control about things. Why? On her way out of the school, what happens? When she arrives at Weston Enterprises, she meets a man named Sam. Who is he? What does he have to do with her being there? What about all the people that are suddenly missing? After Emma runs to t ...more
Claire Ingram
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun sweet story that is great for those who like idealistic romances. I could really relate to that feeling of being out of your depth that she felt and the desperate need for a job. I did giggle at a few parts and smiled a lot through it. I mean I wasn't blown away by this story and it was a little predictable but I like that the author hasn't used the stereotypical skinny beautiful blonde as the female protagonist.
Overall not my normal read and I did feel a little like ... oh she's
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
I love His Competent Woman. I give Emma credit that girl was in a new job with no orientation, flying by the seat of her pants. I would have wanted to run, not walk away from that job. Talk about a trial by fire. But, you do what you gotta do. Especially when you have a child involved. And, she took cranky Curtis West and made him a man we all want to have.

Everything happens pretty fast but, what else can you expect in a Novella. Ellen Whyte packs a lot into this short story. And, it has a HEA!
Gunjan Mittal
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Emma who is a single mother. She is funny and yet really strong. She is a mother to a son who is diagnosed with Dyslexia. She works really hard to give the best to her son Ben. In the quest to get a better job, she interviews for Curtis who is the CEO of Weston Enterprises. She gets the job even though she did not have the experience and the skill to do this job.

Her first impression of her boss was not at all good. She slowly starts to understand that Curtis as a person is not
Cécile Smits
Just when i needed something sweet,Ellen,aka AJ, had the perfect gift for me! Sweet Emma needs,really needs a job! Curtis needs,really needs a competent secretary and to be honest, a competent PA as well. He doesn't want to hire a woman,though...untill he meets Emma. What that woman does to....for him,is more than competent! Loved it!
Christine
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute fun story about a woman trying to make a life for herself and her young son and ends up working for a billionaire with a heart of gold. I loved Curtis he was so charming and Emma was so nice and hardworking. There were some British terms that i'm not familiar with but it doesn't take a way from the understanding of the story.
Melissa
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I love this novella. The quirky inner monologue, strong female lead and blossoming romance made this a fun read. Though this was a novella, you are drawn into this story from the beginning and the characters turn into long lost friends. The author gives a wonderful epilogue that gives the reader a sense of happiness and closure to the story.
Tarra Davis
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, lovely book

I absolutely loved this book, couldn't put it down, I adored Emma, I loved her courage to go after what she needed to help her son, Curtis was very lovable, I loved their chemistry!! Definitely a must read!!!
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Never Stop Reading or Dreaming
Review

I struggled between 3 and 4 stars for this one. I really liked the concept. And the characters were alright. The excision wasn't the best, but I have read worse. The thing is, some parts of the story dyslexia was made out to be "stupid" where others it wasn't. There also wasn't much character development. I'm giving this four stars because, even though it wasn't the best, the author did a good job at writing some subjects that people don't like to write about, such as plus size or dyslexi
Cara Ross
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of BBW stories, so when I was thrilled when I found out about His Competent Women by Ellen Whyte, and author I have never read before, but I found out that His Competent Women is not only a BBW story, but set in the UK! Which I think is a first for me, but for this British Expat, it was heaven.

The story is short, but full of detail and the writing just flowed! Not choppy or confusing, but a wonderful book about a single mother called Emma, who needed to get special testing for he
Booklass Garrahan
A competent heroine finally!

If I have to deal with one more Lucy Ricardo-esque heroine....but, wait, Emma has brains! Not only does she come to the hero's rescue, she does it with class and kindness. This is a very sweet love story.
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emma is struggling. She’s a single mom and her son has learning problems which will cost a fortune to help him cope with. Did I mention she is unemployed? A job opportunity crosses her path and it seems to perfect too ignore, so she rushes down to apply.

Competent, (I hate that word. I’ve been called competent, and yes I am, but sometimes I just don’t want to be!) but it is a word that describes Emma, she is quite competent. Anyway, this is not a book I would typically pick up, but I’m so glad I
Julie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and Sweet!

I loved this charming story with it's lovable heroine Emma and her gruffly, endearing new boss Curtis. This a quick read that reminds you some dreams do come true. The lack of excessive over the top sex scenes only adds to the overall fairy tale feeling of this book. This was like spending a sleepy afternoon listening to the rain. Left me with a smile on my face.
Leslie Ooten
These were just okay for me. I'm not from the UK, and didn't know going in that is where the stories are set. It was hard for me to get into the flow of the stories. Some words, I knew what the meant, but some it took rereading a sentence to understand. Like others have said, the second story is better than the first, in my opinion. I'm not sure if I would read this author again, but only on the basis of language differences.
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced readers copy of this book.
Azura Ahmad
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sweet romance, sans torrid adult love scenes. I thoroughly enjoyed this book; the characters had more depth than the usual fairy tales. There was conflict, and difficulty that the heroine had to go through before connecting with the hero. She has worries at home, and in due course had to choose between being truthful and losing her all important paycheck. It all works out in the end, and victory has never seemed so sweet!
Aliana
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The love of a mother

This was a cute and fun story about a single mom doing everything she could to provide for her son. Even lying at an interview to ensure she got the job. As a mom, I empathized with Emma. I loved her "do what you gotta do" and "fake it til you make it" attitude.
I'm so glad that Curtis didnt make a huge scene about her lies or secrets. And how amazing that he saw Emma's beauty beyond her "mommy" image. Great story.
Wendy Livingstone
Emma is a single mom, who desperately needs the money to fund tests etc for her son. When a job opportunity presents itself, Emma applies for the position, knowing that she is not quite qualified, and hoping she can fudge her way through. Curtis is the demanding CEO, and is the sparks fly between these two. I loved the humour throughout this story as well. This is a quick read, which had me hooked throughout, and I look forward to reading more from this author.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to a series 7 23 Aug 30, 2017 12:27AM
Bombay Blogger : Looking for Indian bloggers 1 3 Apr 08, 2017 10:02PM
Ellen Whyte married her best friend and moved to the tropics where they are living their own Happily Ever After. She believes writing is not so much a passion as an obsession.

She writes sweet romance novels with strong women and very hunky men as Ellen Whyte, and twisted stories of love, mayhem, and murder as AJ Adams.

When she’s not writing, she’s cooking and gossiping with her friends. She is als
More about Ellen Whyte

British Billionaire Boss (2 books)
  • His Laughing Girl (British Billionaire Boss #2)