Start by marking “Careful!: The Surprising Science Behind Everyday Calamities - and How You Can Avoid Them” as Want to Read:

The modern world can be a dangerous place, filled with fast cars, smart phones, drugs and extreme sports. Meanwhile, we humans are as fragile as ever. In fact, after a century of decline in injuries and accidental deaths they are on the rise again. The question is – why?

Steve Casner has devoted his career to studying the psychology of safety, and he knows that there’s not

Published June 1st 2017 by Macmillan (first published May 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Careful!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Careful!

Lauren
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting and surprisingly witty book that justified all the paranoid behaviors I already have. Lots of scary statistics but also practical ideas about how to be safer.

*I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
David Webber
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew I was in trouble when early in the book I see, "In a recent study, my colleague...found that while driving on open stretches of road, drivers spend significant amounts of their time engaged in what we call mind wandering or task-unrelated thought." Really.

Statistics are simply presented, usually combined with a corollary from the aviation world, since the author reminds us he is a pilot. No cutting edge psychology here, but instead only simple advice you probably already know and a thoro
Antonio Nunez
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very common-sensical book that shows how our minds are much less keen and observing than we think and how easy it would be for disaster to strike at all times. Some parts of the book are chilling, like those describing accidents that impact children. He has convinced me of the merits of lists to prepare for various activities. Also, I will never again walk around near traffic with my earphones on, nor will i ride a taxi without a seatbelt on. I won't remove my seatbelt in the plane whenever I' ...more
Pat
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be safe, we care about you..

This book strengthened my already strong inclinations to avoid preventable injuries and to help family and friends do likewise. The style is clear and conversational. I heartily recommend it.
Dlmrose
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Steve
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a paper cut reading this book. Okay, just kidding. This is a thoroughly engaging and fascinating look at how injury prone we've become and possible reasons why. It has totally cured me of looking at my cellphone while driving, even at stop signs. The author, a psychologist and aviator, discusses lot of workplace issues. I work in a hospital, where being error-proof is a must, and have recommended Careful to all my colleagues.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny, educational, and terrifying!! It should be required reading for everyone, especially those who drive.
Amy
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about public and personal safety issues. Well researched and presented in an engaging, thoughtful way.
Wellington
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars Mostly this book left me worried and scared of all the decisions I make in my daily life. It was an enjoyable read and I appreciating Steve self-depreciating sense of humor.

Now, I'd like to think that I'll be a little more careful in my daily activities. Steve seems to think that I will most likely just return to my usual activities and land myself in the Darwin Awards.

Stephen Theaker
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should be studied in schools.
Kathi
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reading this book might have saved a woman's life yesterday. Definitely worth the read and heeding the advice.
H
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: Lots of good safety tips!

Cons: Needed additional copy-editing ("lime disease"); I think the book would have worked better with the stories as cutaway boxes, and photos, more of an interactive read; this book should not be read by anyone already scared of flying, because even though your chances of issues while flying are ridiculously low (as I already knew and the book states), this book still managed to have multiple examples of things that can go wrong.
Hayley Chwazik-Gee
“A how-to guide to keep you safe since you’re an accident prone person”

This book takes you through all the likely and unlikely scenarios in which being reckless or risky can seal your fate 6 feet under. With bits of humor sprinkled in, Casner tries his darndest to warn readers of the implicit dangers lurking in everyday tasks when we don’t factor in the likelihood of making mistakes. He attempts to bring our shortcomings to light and strategize for the inevitable slip-up.

Even though crossing a
J Crossley
I found this to be an eye-opening book. Due to many perceptions, one is apt to place oneself in danger. For instance, we are unable to multi-task. We can only switch our attention. This causes us not to be fully focused on the task at hand, and we can easily get hurt. Becoming more mindful of what we are doing will help reduce the chances of accidents.

Research is showing that we become less concerned with others (self-preservation) and ignore signals and advice. This makes sense from an ancient
Natalie  S
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review score: 7.5/10

For the majority of last century, accidents and preventable injuries were on the decline. This was due to increased innovation, safety measures and design, as well as better regulation and improved practices such as workplace health and safety. But since 2000, these numbers have been increasing again and Steve Casner is all too aware of this through his work as a research psychologist with NASA. It is his job to make our skies a safe place and in his book, Careful! The Surpri
Rachel Blakeman
This is 2.5 star review. I'm one of those people who always wears a helmet when biking so I'm clearly someone who prioritizes safety and was looking forward to finding out new information on how to be safer. Unfortunately I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. Perhaps I learned some new ways to think about safety (and some fun new descriptions) but in sum you'll get everything you need to know in the first 90 pages. Lots of stories and interesting statistics but I can't say I'm go ...more
Nancyann
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars for Steve Casner's book. Lots of statistics about how/why humans are prone to injury presented in an entertaining manner. I can easily see this book being devoured by undergrad psychology students. For the rest of us you may pick and choose your chapters at random to learn why we don't follow advice, run red lights, use tools incorrectly, etc.
Kelly Wagner
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: everyone makes mistakes including Super-geniuses. NOBODY is good at multitasking. MOST of us are not even very good at paying attention to one thing at a time. Do not use a screwdriver for anything except driving screws. If you want to be safer, find ways NOT to use an automobile.
Summer
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic
A perfectly adequate book to make you think a little more critically about what you can do to avoid injury. You probably already know this stuff but you almost can't be reminded too often.
Lynne
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
3.75
Alana
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting about human psychology but also I learned a lot about the airline industry.
Kevin Cordle
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boring title but unexpectedly great read 🙂!
Katherine Rowland
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-general
Sensible look at how we injure ourselves and how often our thinking is to blame, with sound advice on how to circumvent this weakness to lead safer lives.
Ben
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous and fun, but a very good guide to why we do dumb things.
Mrsculpepper
interesting and useful but somewhat repetative. not sad i read it though.
Drew
Diana
May 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • If Stones Could Speak: Unlocking the Secrets of Stonehenge
  • Rainy Brain, Sunny Brain: How to Retrain Your Brain to Overcome Pessimism and Achieve a More Positive Outlook
  • Cool: How the Brain's Hidden Quest for Cool Drives Our Economy and Shapes Our World
  • Love in the Time of Algorithms: How Online Dating Shapes Our Relationships
  • Owls
  • The Secret of the Highly Creative Thinker: How To Make Connections Others Don't
  • A History of Food in 100 Recipes
  • What the Dickens?!: Distinctly Dickensian Words and How to Use Them
  • The Design Thinking Playbook: Mindful Digital Transformation of Teams, Products, Services, Businesses and Ecosystems
  • Fucking Apostrophes
  • The Bible Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained
  • The History of Torture
  • 5 Day Weekend: Freedom to Make Your Life and Work Rich with Purpose
  • 4 Seconds: All The Time You Need to Stop Counter-Productive Habits and Get the Results You Want
  • Darkness at Dawn: The Rise of the Russian Criminal State
  • The Poison Squad: One Chemist's Single-Minded Crusade for Food Safety at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
  • Performance Appraisal Phrase Book: The Best Words, Phrases, and Techniques for Performace Reviews
  • How To See