Start by marking “The Good Liar” as Want to Read:

The Good Liar

Can you hide a secret with the whole world watching?

When an explosion rips apart a Chicago building, the lives of three women are forever altered.

A year later, Cecily is in mourning. She was supposed to be in the building that day. Instead, she stood on the street and witnessed it going down, with her husband and best friend inside. Kate, now living thousands of miles away
Published April 3rd 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 03, 2018
    Enter for a chance to win 1 of 10 copies of one of the best thrillers of 2018!

Can you hide a secret with the whole world watching?

When an explosion ri

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 33 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 19 - Jan 31, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Good Liar, please sign up.
    Brittany
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kaceey - Traveling Sister
    Five shining stars!!

Now that’s what I call a thriller! This one had me hooked from the first page, and it took every bit of willpower not to devour it in one sitting. After all, this was a traveling sister read...but I had a hard time waiting for my sisters to catch up to me!

October 10th. The day everything drastically changed for 3 women in Chicago, all tied to one horrid event. One thrust into the limelight, one forcing herself into the limelight and the third crouching into the shadows.

A doc
    Catherine McKenzie
    Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    I am so excited to let you know about my next book coming out in April, 2018! I hope you add it to your to-read shelf and spread the word! More details to come!
    Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
    There are three characters, each telling their story. There is Cecily, Kate, and Franny. The big question is out of three, which one is the good liar. There are lots of secrets in this story. All of these woman are guarding important secrets. Just how far will they go to keep them. There is an awful tragedy. An explosion rips apart a Chicago building and the lives of these three woman are forever altered and each character tells their story of the tragedy. The memories of that terrifying morning ...more
    Meredith
    Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Packed with some surprising twists and turns, The Good Liar an aptly tilted psychological thriller about three women tied together by an awful tragedy.

On a fateful morning in Chicago, a gas leak causes a building to explode, killing over 500 people. Left behind are Cecily, whose loses both her husband and best friend, mysterious Kate, a woman who lives in Montreal who has a deep connection to the explosion, and Franny, who was recently reunited with her birth mother only to lose her once agai
    Kendall
    Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Oh MY what a ride!!

This is my second read by Catherine McKenzie and man did I enjoy this book! First, let me just comment on the cover. So gorgeous!!

This one is a twisty and edgy story about secrets, lies, and betrayal that come to life surrounding the lives of three women that are connected. On October 10th at 10 am a building exploded that killed over 500 hundred people. Let's spring forward a year and "Triple Ten" is all over the media being remembered again.
    The Good Liar is a strong charac
    Norma * Traveling Sister
    4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars!

THE GOOD LIAR was an enjoyable and entertaining psychological thriller that was such an exciting and thrilling book to read. It's gripping, fascinating, intense, and filled with so many unexpected twists and turns that will keep you guessing right until that cleverly written surprise ending! I absolutely loved this book and it was extremely hard for me to put down. Would recommend!

Traveling Sisters Group Read – Thank you so much for another wonderful reading expe
    Berit☀️✨

4.5 spectacular stars rounded up! Almost perfect!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This is my first book by,?Catherine McKenzie... but definitely not my last!

WOW! This book was just so delightfully twisted! The title really should have been; Who is the Best Liar of Them All? It is so hard to review a book like this, because you don’t want to give anything away.... such an amazing rollercoaster ride.... I want you to enjoy the ride as much as I did!

Along with the twisty plot were some pretty fantastic characters...Cecily was
    Lindsay - Traveling Sister
    4.5 stars! What an addictive story!

This novel follows three women affected by the devastating tragedy of a building explosion in downtown Chicago that kills over 500 people and injures many others. These women move forward with their lives, trying to pick up the pieces after their traumatic personal losses. There are many secrets, lies and hidden agenda’s within this twisted tale – I was hanging on every word!

This is my first book by Catherine McKenzie and I fell in love with her writing! I’m a
    Linda
    Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fiction, net-galley
    Lies simmering on the back burner.

Bring to a rapid boil......and, wowzers, watch the spillover seeping onto the innocent and onto the guilty as well. Eternal blisters and forever scars.

The Windy City is the backdrop as Cecily Grayson rushes up the concrete stairs that meet the street level of The Loop. "Late" has an indelible mark on her back. Continuous rushing leaves her breathless with her head down and feet planted on each step. As she raises her head slightly, Cecily comes into contact wit
    Dem
    3.5 Stars

“Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.” ― Walter Scott, Marmion

Catherine McKenzie is without doubt a great story teller, creating a suspenseful and fresh thriller with intriguing characters who connect in a startling way. A book of secrets and lies that had me on my toes. The story is told in alternating narratives from each of the three women and we learn how th
    Diane S ☔
    3.5 Cecily is on her way to meet with her husband, when the office building in which he works is destroyed by an explosion. Over five hundred dead, her husband among them. Her life, as well as two other women, Kate her best friend, and Franny, a young woman with some curious ties to them both. Cecily will become the face of the bereaved, a widow and now the single mother of two children. On the surface things appear simple but all these women have secrets they do not want known.

An addictive read
    Cheri
    !! NOW AVAILABLE !!

3.5 Stars

”She gets up and pours herself a strong one,
    And stares out at the stars up in the sky.
    Another night, it's gonna be a long one.
    She draws the shade and hangs her head to cry.

“She wonders how it ever got this crazy.
    She thinks about a boy she knew in school.
    Did she get tired or did she just get lazy?
    She's so far gone she feels just like a fool.

“My oh my, you sure know how to arrange things.
    You set it up so well, so carefully.
    Ain't it funny how your new life didn't chang
    Liz
    Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Three women had their lives altered by an explosion that cost over 500 people their lives. It’s now the first anniversary of the event and all are looking back. Cecile is the grieving widow, Franny an adult who had just found her biological mother only to lose her and Kate, who moved to Canada to escape the aftermath. But each has a secret she’s worried will be exposed due to the media coverage associated with the anniversary.

I loved Fractured, MacKenzie’s previous novel. This one starts slower
    Susanne Strong
    Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.5 Stars* (rounded up)

All eyes are on Cecily. They have been ever since October 10th at 10 a.m. (known as the Triple Ten) when tragedy struck and the Chicago high rise she was supposed to be in exploded with her husband and over hundreds of others inside of it. Cecily is the face of the tragedy you see. For her there is no hiding. Kate now lives in Canada, thousands of miles away, living a different life. Hiding has become her speciality. Franny may or may not be who she seems. She has been sea
    Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
    4 suspenseful stars to The Good Liar! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Published today, April 3, 2018!

The Good Liar has a completely original premise that hooked me from the start. Three women’s lives are inextricably linked when there is an explosion in a Chicago building.

Each woman is impacted differently by the fire- one watches the building burn as her husband and best friend are inside, one is searching for her birth mother and knows that the woman she is desperately seeking is inside as the building crumbles, an
    Theresa Alan
    Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I love Catherine McKenzie’s work, and this novel, although different from her other books, was just as enjoyable a read.

On October 10 at 10 a.m. an explosion decimates an office building. Three women who escaped the tragedy are forever marked. Their stories are told in part because a documentary filmmaker interviews them about the experience.

Told from the alternating points of view of the three women, lies and deceptions are slowly unveiled right until the very end, which had me smiling and thi
    Brenda - Traveling Sister
    Norma and I were lost in the tangled weeds of deceit and lies in the lush coulee reading The Good Lair with our Traveling Sisters.

The Good Liar is a cleverly written, entertaining and engaging story with twists and lies that had our heads spinning as we tried to untangle ourselves from the weedy web of all the complicated secrets and lies.

Catherine McKenzie does a fantastic job creating some well-developed and compelling liars here with our three main characters who are linked together by a tr
    Zoeytron
    Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

Three women.  One who has been grievously wronged, one who is filled with guilt, and one who just isn't . . . . quite right.  Someone is lying up a storm.  Is it just one of them?  Could it be all three?  At least one of them is a very good liar.

Oddly enough, my estimation of this was higher while I was reading it than it is as I am writing my review.
    Taryn
    3.5 Stars. Three women's lives are altered by a national tragedy. They all have parts of their lives that they're trying to keep hidden, but it's difficult to conceal anything when the whole world is watching. Tread carefully when reading about this one because there are many twists and turns. I've tried not to be too specific beyond each character's first two chapters, but sometimes it's easy to read between the lines!

Kate couldn’t help thinking that whenever more than five hundred people die
    Carol
    3.5+ Explosive Stars!

THE GOOD LIAR weaves together the lives of three women plagued by a building explosion (no spoiler here) that occurred October 10 at 10:00 a.m.....all three with secrets....all three linked.

Catherine McKenzie's new novel has a wonderfully original storyline that she backs into enticing the reader to wait for answers. Already a big hit as evidenced by high ratings on Goodread's, I must admit it was a bit perplexing and beyond belief here and there (for me) but at no time did

JanB
    Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first we begin to deceive. And never is that more evident than in the stories of these three women in the aftermath of an explosion that kills over 500 people.

Cecily was supposed to be in the building at the time the explosion took place but was running late and so was spared. Her husband and best friend were killed that day, and she is in mourning. Franny is a young woman who was in search for her birth mother, who was killed when the building exploded. A
    Jan
    Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4 1/2 stars

Fantastic storytelling!

*Some plot scenarios really stretched the imagination, so be prepared to suspend your beliefs-it's so worth it!!*

On October 10th at 10:00, a bomb goes off in the heart of downtown Chicago, killing over 500 people in the building. From this devastation we get to meet 3 women. One who becomes the 'face' of the Triple 10 tragedy, one who leaves everything behind in hopes of a new life, and one who seeks to get the life she was denied at birth.

Told from multiple PO
    [Shai] Bibliophage
    The Good Liar is one compelling novel that will definitely make anyone look forward to what will happen next. The story was split into three accounts: the interview transcripts between Teo and Franny Maycombe; the tale of Cecily and her Grayson family; and the narrative of Kate and her Rings family. It is about the story one year after the massive explosion in downtown Chicago that killed 513 people and also left a lot of injured.

The Initiative was formed in order to regulate the compensation
    Sheri
    May 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: fiction, 2018
    This was a slow and ultimately underwhelming read for me. While the premise was interesting, I was not drawn into the story. I didn't find myself caring about the characters or their situations in any way. I thought the twists were minor and not particularly thrilling. Even as I got closer to the end, I didn't get excited to see how everything would play out. Another reviewer said they would not classify this as a thriller and I agree. There wasn't enough suspense or thrilling moments for me to ...more
    Holly  B
    Definitely a lot of lying going on in this book. Uncovering them will keep you engaged until the end.

This one starts off strong with an explosion in a building and people running for their lives. Focusing on three women who are impacted by the tragedy in different ways. Which one has something to hide? something to gain? something to lose? Which one lies?

Alternating narratives from each of the three women (which I really enjoyed) let us in on some things they were hiding or running away from. Th
    Michelle
    I read Fractured by Catherine McKenzie and absolutely loved it so when I saw this book on NetGalley I didn't even hesitate to request it. Sadly, I didn't really care for this one that much.

On October 10th at 10:00am there is an explosion in a down town Chicago office building that kills 513 people. Cecily lost her husband and best friend Kaitlyn.

Fast forward one year later and a documentary is being made following three families that were effected by this tragedy.

We follow three POV's through
    Barbara
    Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: bayb-2018

This psychological thriller revolves around three women whose lives are profoundly affected by a disaster. Their names are Cecily, Franny, and Kate.

*****

The story: Cecily Grayson, running late as usual, was hurrying to meet her husband Tom when his Chicago office building blew up in front of her eyes. Shocked into immobility, with ashes raining down on her, Cecily just stared at the building until a stranger grabbed her hand and yelled 'run.' Cecily's savior was Teo Jackson, a document
    Liz
    Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I loved Fractured, MacKenzie’s previous novel. This one starts slower
    Sarah Joint
    Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    As twisty as it is addicting, The Good Liar is another great offering from author Catherine McKenzie. The story is compelling, and the characters are well-developed even if they're not always likable. I read this as part of a group, and we had a lot of fun discussing the characters and plot online as we read. I think it would make an amazing read for a book club. If you read it alone, you'll probably be looking for someone to discuss it with once you've finished! Just when you think you know whe ...more
    Marialyce
    Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: net-galley
    4.5 riveting stars

Seems lately that there has been a plethora of books with some form of the word lie in their title. Perhaps the reason being is that it is, at times for us it is so easy to avoid telling the truth. We all have done it, lie that is, for reasons big and small, just because we are human. Being caught in a lie is embarrassing and depending on the seriousness of the lie, it can upset your whole world and those you love and care for. It can change things, make you a captive of the te
    52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2018.26: The Good Liar 1 15 Jul 01, 2018 09:41AM
    52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2018.14: The Good Liar 11 52 Jun 17, 2018 06:11AM
    Catherine McKenzie was born and raised in Montreal, Canada. A graduate of McGill in History and Law, Catherine practices law in Montreal. An avid runner and skier, she's the author of numerous bestsellers including HIDDEN, FRACTURED and THE GOOD LIAR. Her works have been translated into multiple languages.

HIDDEN was a #1 Amazon bestseller and a Digital Bookworld bestseller for five weeks. SMOKE wa
    “No one had told her, before she had children, that being a mother would be like reliving her own childhood, only worse. That she’d have to re-feel all the slights and worries a hundredfold.” 2 likes
    “I suppose there’s a time in everyone’s life where you discover you’re a fool. Sometimes, maybe, it’s a slow revelation. For others, there’s a moment when it becomes obvious.” 1 likes