Start by marking “The Helm of Darkness (War on the Gods, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Helm of Darkness (War on the Gods, #1)

The Helm of Darkness

(War on the Gods #1)

Andy and Zoey are two normal teenagers living in the modern day—that is, until they’re knocked unconscious in a freak storm sweeping the United States.

When they wake up, the world they know has been tossed away. Their city is in ruins, strange creatures walk the earth, and worst of all, everyone is gone. They stumble across Diana and Spencer, two kids around their age who
Published June 3rd 2018 by Sea of Ink Press

To ask other readers questions about The Helm of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Helm of Darkness

Start your review of The Helm of Darkness (War on the Gods, #1)
Dianne
Being released just in time for summer vacation, A.P. Mobley’s THE HELM OF DARKNESS is “fantasy” enough to enthrall young adult readers as the power and determination of youth is tested to the limits in a world decimated in the blink of an eye.

One minute it was a normal day for Andy and Zoey, the next, the sky was raining deadly swords and all that they knew, everyone they loved was dead. Then, in the blink of an eye, they are thrust five hundred years into the future, caught up in a world where
JK
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Greek gods and mythology have always been a fascination of mine, and to see Mobley bring them to life here was delicious. Contrast the gods, monsters, and demigods, with a couple of modern kids and we have got ourselves a novel. It was delightful to hear some of the smaller details of the myths be introduced and weaved into the plot (favourite: Persephone’s incarceration in Hades and how this created the seasons), and I was just living for it all.

For the first time, I have faced the gods as
Charlotte
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two mortals......Demigods.......vengeful Gods and a prophecy!

This is all I'd hoped for and more! I was hooked after reading The Shield of Nike and this has only drawn me deeper into this brilliant world.

I'm loving the way the characters are growing and developing, how Zoey and Andy react differently to events and finding out that they are the two mortals spoken of in the prophecy.

As you get a deeper insight and understanding of the Demigods your feelings about them might change....mine did.
Alessandro Reale
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you like Greek mythology? Do you like young adult adventure/action stories? Are you looking for a new book to add to your reading collection? Well, A.P. Mobley's The Helm of Darkness is for you!

As a huge fan of Greek mythology, I'm constantly on the hunt for novels that feature my favorite heroes, gods, and creatures. I was so happy when I got in touch with Mobley and discovered her debut novel, The Helm of Darkness, which is the first book in the War on the Gods series.

Helm follows two young
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I really have a love for books about the Greek gods - much like I have been really enjoying retellings and this is a fun one that kind of incorporates both things. The book is about two teens reincarnated to battle with the gods that have taken over the world again after fearing that humans only believed them to be myth and forgetting about them. Andy and Zoey have to find a way to defeat these all-powerful gods and return the world to the way it was before.

This was such a quickly paced book. I
Eileen
This was a nice surprise as you never know what you'll get with a new author, but I thought this was a very interesting take on Greek Mythology as two people are taken from the world as it is destroyed and brought 500 years into the future when Greek Gods once again rule the earth and monsters roam all over the place wreaking havoc with the survivors of the apocalypse. Interestingly I just finished Rick Riordan's Demigod Diaries not too long ago and just finished his Egyptian trilogy today, so ...more
Angi Plant
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Independent Reviewer for Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Apocalyptic YA fantasy tied up with Gods, monsters, you name it!
Does it work? Absolutely it does.

You can feel for every character in a way you would not expect. The plots and subplots are woven so nicely together that if you know nothing about myths and legends, though reading this you could easily believe everything is true, you will get to the end and it will whet your appetite for more about the Gods and Godesses.

It’s an
Shanele
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Helm of Darkness is an exciting tale, mixing a future world of Greek mythology and two high school kids that have lost everything but each other. Andy and Zoey find themselves thrust into a world they thought was just a myth, only to realize they are the key to a prophecy. With no family left, it is up to them and some new demigod friends to save humanity from the almighty and powerful Gods.

A.P. Mobley's characters are extraordinary, yet relatable. The burdens that each of them carry will
Christopher Schmitz
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A.P. Mobley’s Helm of Darkness looks incredibly promising. Mobley knows how to tell a story with good pacing and that picks up on timeless themes, and I’m a sucker for apocalyptic stories.
It was well paced and the storytelling was tight. Mobley has a great concept and I was looking forward to this book for a while, and the book ends with a setup and promise of a sequel. This was a great YA book which would be a solid read for anyone who reads mythology-styled fantasy.
Helm of Darkness has a feel
Niamh Andrews
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
As a massive Percy Jackson fan I was a little worried about this book. I love Greek Mythology so I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did. When I find a book I enjoy I generally read it as quickly as possible. I had this read in about 3 hours or so. I loved the characters instantly. I found them relatable and captivating. I will definitely be reading the next book of the series asap. If you want an easy to read, yet great story and love all things YA and mythological you need to read this ...more
Sathepine Marco
A sweet dive into the world of greek mythology

A sweet dive into the world of greek mythology in the eyes of young adult humans and demigods. As a fan of greek mythology, this is definitely a fun read for me, although it caters to much younger readers than myself. Maybe apart from Spencer, I couldn’t find myself that much invested in the main characters, but the adventure and the world-building makes for a wonderful ride. A solid start to a series and will definitely check out the sequel!
Tamara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why did the Greek Gods try to destroy the world as we know it?

This a is good book for all ages. It's a story of loss and of trials. The mythical Greek gods are back. They have destroyed our world as we know it, but thanks to a selfless demigod, two mortals are back, they come from our time. They are young, just on the verge of being considered adults.

Zoey has led a hard life and is glad for a chance to start fresh. Andy has lost everyone he cares about, except the girl he has been crushing on
Amy Shannon
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A strong blast to the future

It's a remarkable story of Andy and Zoey, and suddenly, they are whisked away to the future ... where everything they knew was gone. It's a wild adventure, that transforms into fantasy and darkness where there is a fight for survival, survival of mankind. It's a jaw-dropping, climatic intriguing story that is written for the young adult, but anyone who enjoys a good fantasy and delve into the future will enjoy it as well.
Jamie Hurich
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Action

I'm not very familiar with this genre of literature but I absolutely loved this book. I will pass it on to my young adult grand children, boys and girls and I believe they will all enjoy it as well. Great review of Greek Mythology and the mere mortals are hero's as well. I look forward to Book 2. This story 4 really kept my attention!
Zoey Waddell
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I fell into this book hard and loved the ride! I would say that my one major downfall was the setting. It wasn't explained enough for me to be able to carry much of the location or what it looked like. Does it look similar to 500 years ago when the world ended? No clue.

However the characters were what really sold it for me! They were always growing and trying to understand the world around them. I liked Zoey and her fierce determination and Andy and his fierce love for his family. It made them
Salla (Books Told Me So)
Full Review:

Two average mortals are resurrected five hundred years after their deaths in the apocalyptic storm caused by Greek Gods. And now they have to wage war against the same Gods.
Caleb Wright
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much.

Ok, so if you like greek mythology, if you like action, and if you like strong characters then this is the read for you. No joke I read it within two days because I couldn't put the book down.
Mikki Gardner
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the characters and the stories behind them all! Very inticing plot, can't wait to read the next book!
Marcus E. Bray
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good can't wait to read the next one!!!!
Bridget Owensby
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good retelling of ancient Gods

What would happen if the gods were real? What if they came back?

This story is a great telling of possibility if they decided to return.
Jessa Julian
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was absolutely in love with this book from the first page. Not only does Mobley know how to craft a story to keep her readers engaged, she is more than willing to help her readers learn. After reading more of the book, I was surprised by how fast-paced her plot was. Typically, I prefer if the plot slows down just a little more than what Mobley presented, but her target audience isn't 25 year old English teachers. Her target audience is the kids I teach and they would be absolutely in love with ...more
Leticia
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come
Pages For Thoughts
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These are ordinary kids who just lost everybody and everything they knew and loved, thrust into a war that they handled with surprisingly vast amounts of mental strength. They are just mortals, normal teenagers. There is no god-complex about them, and they don't have any powers, which makes the story more interesting and is a differentiator to most other books in the mythology space. I enjoyed seeing a darker side to the Gods. Mostly in books and in real life, we picture Gods as being heavenly ...more
Judi Easley

Release June 3, 2018

260 pages, Kindle only

Adventure, mythology, young adult

Provided by Author

The cover is stunning and will catch the eye of many readers. Rather than trying to depict something from the quest, the author chose to show the helm itself. Excellent choice!

The story is a quest written for young adults. The emotions while supposedly deep, actually come across as not being deeply felt. There is a hollowness to a
Sarah Carner
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun ride! The Helm of Darkness is a wonderful adventure. Lots of action. This was my first time reading about Greek mythology really. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Mobley explained just enough so I wasn't lost . Looking forward to the next installment in the trilogy!! ...more
Braxton Stewart
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this book! Mythological check. Great plot check!
Alyssa
Nov 12, 2018
Dara Corkery
Oct 29, 2018

• Lighter Than My Shadow
  • Theonite: Planet Adyn (Theonite, #1)
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Empire of Dirt (The Echoes Saga, #2)
  • The Evertree (Spirit Animals, #7)
  • Saint Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)
  • Rise and Fall (Spirit Animals, #6)
  • All In The Same Boat
  • Shiny Broken Pieces (Tiny Pretty Things, #2)
  • Monk's Hood (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #3)
  • Songlines (The Sentinels of Eden, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
  • Relic of the Gods (The Echoes Saga, #3)
  • Love From A to Z
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
  • Hamelin Stoop: The Lost Princess and the Jewel of Periluna (Hamelin Stoop, #2)
  • The Forgotten Home Child
A. P. Mobley is a young-adult fantasy author with an undying love for Greek mythology and epic, magical tales. She grew up in Wyoming and currently lives there, working part-time as a substitute teacher and studying to earn her degree in English. She considers herself a huge nerd, loves chocolate a little too much, and can be found snuggling with one of her pets into late hours of the night.

“Vanessa’s scream of terror pierced the air, while the pegasi flapped their wings and whinnied. Andy looked to the sky. A flock of giant ebony swans flew toward the clearing, visible just beyond the tall trees. Their shiny feathers shifted between black and silver in the sunlight. Their beaks were a dull bronze, their red eyes gleaming with malice. Together they let out a screech, and the trees shook.

Spencer’s jaw dropped. “That’s them. The Stymphalian Birds.”
0 likes
“He reached the huge, empty throne room. Its curved white walls were lined with sleek thrones and marble pillars with swirls winding all the way up. The shooting stars and constellations from the pitch-black ceiling gleamed down at him, fluffy clouds floating aimlessly in the dark outside the arched windows.
Footsteps sounded from behind, and he hid behind the nearest throne, watching the entrance as a few of the Olympian gods shuffled inside.”
0 likes