Start by marking “In the Dark (Children of Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Dark (Children of Night, #1)

In the Dark

(Children of Night #1)

San Francisco, 1969. Vampire Conrad Quintano has been around for centuries—long enough to know that falling for a human is a terrible idea. Much less falling for adventure-seeking hippie Desert Rose. An even more terrible idea? Agreeing to raise her babies and protect them with his life.

Present day. Marc and Julie Fischer have always known they’re vampires. Raised in virt
Published July 31st 2017 by Entangled: Select Otherworld (first published November 19th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark

Cindyg
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow...what a great first story in what I hope is an ongoing series. It states on the back cover "Children of the Night, Book 1"...I sooo look forward to book two.
I really enjoyed the whole take on the vampire baby daddy thing. The characters where charming, and engaging and visiting the past while living in the present really worked for me. I really came to care for Desert Rose and her sacrifice, not to mention the sacrifice Conrad and Damian made to keep the twins safe. I felt invested in
Ni_kii
In the prologue, we are introduced to the Vampire Conrad. Many questions surround this mysterious man. The most pressing for me being why does he speak French all the time if he’s Italian? However, I digress. When we meet Conrad in 1969, he is rushing to the side of a dying female called Suzanne (AKA Desert Rose) who requests that he take care of her vampire twin babies. It seems that the babies were born Vampires, not made, which should mean an instant death sentence. Instantly I was hooked. A ...more
Holjo
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rated 4.5/5

Summary: Conrad is the apex around whom the characters in this book revolve. He is one of the most powerful vampires in the world, and he leads his San Francisco based nest with generosity, affection, fear and cruelty. The opposing facets of his power allow him to maintain control of his community without challenge.

Seemingly impossible, Conrad is missing and foul play seems to be involved. The only person who is aware of Conrad’s missing person status is his fo
Tina
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know a book is good when you enjoy it as much, if not more, the second time you read it. This is certainly one of those stories that just keeps on giving, making you eager to turn the plot over and over in your head, long after you’ve read the last word. P.G. Forte, is one of my favorite writers, and In The Dark, rife with relatable, imperfect characters and a plot that’s multi-layered as well as chock full of suspense, is a prime example of why. She has this way of artfully creating such e ...more
Renee
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not an official vampire-lore fangirl, mostly because it seems like everyone's doing the "same" vampires. There are so many conventions that it seems like "nothing new." So I was pleasantly surprised with this book, because Ms. Forte's vampiric world is truly unique. It's full of these wonderfully "live" unique characters - twins Julie and Marc are BORN vampires, they were not "turned." Julie represents the sensual nature of vampires while Marc is wonderfully empiric, trying to determine and ...more
Karlee
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When vampire Conrad falls for a young innocent girl in 1968, his life is changed forever. Suzanne, or Desert Rose as she liked to call herself, decides that she want's to become a vampire and spend forever with Conrad. But when she learns she's pregnant with twins will she finish the transition? Flash forward to the present, the twins are who were raised in a human environment are brought to Conrad's home, a place he never wanted them to be, at the request of their Uncle Damian. Damian needs the ...more
Michelle R
Samantha Lundergn
I found this book to an interesting twist to the vampire world. I really liked the development of Conrad and desert Rose who sacrificed her own life to give birth to her vampire twins which is an anomaly in this world. I really loved the twins who were raised by Conrad and Damien who were the only ones who new what the twins really were. I found myself hooked by the end of chapter one! I hope there will be more to this unique series!
Laura  Redmon
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***I received a ARC for this book in exchange for a honest review***

This book was absolutely great! Between the romance of Conrad and Desert Rose and the mystery of where Conrad is today is just gratifying. The author had a way of making the past, seem like the present and definitely interesting. I give this book five stars!
Penny Marks
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This book was definitely not what I was expecting to read. Most vampire books are all about the boy getting girl type this was nothing like that it had more substance than that a whole back story and current story all at once. I really cannot explain. But I do recommend this book. This book gives you a deeper look into the lives and loves of a vampire.
Casie
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very unique tale of vampire dynamics and the love life of a very old and powerful vampire. Desert Rose is a beautiful character and the story of her sacrifice to bring two born vampires into the world. I love the flash backs in this story line. I can't wait to read the next installment of this series!
Tracy Kincaid
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story. I loved the twins and hope to see more of them in the next book. I also hope somehow Desert Rose makes a come back.
Kelly Jamieson
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinatingly different vampire story that I could not put down!
Alexandra
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I have a problem with stories where the view changes and there are time "hops" but this book was structured so clearly I could enjoy it fully - both timelines, both stories that flow together into one and each intriguing, compelling and full of very likeable characters. It was breathtaking (and sometimes I really held my breath nearly until the story switches back to the part that left me off breathless) and exciting and I could feel with all of the characters, even if they sometimes di ...more
Kristen Gough
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique and interesting vampire story that offers quite a different perspective and I loved reading this. The love story between Conrad and Desert Rose was beautifully told and I loved the complexity of Conrad's character as shown through the several flashbacks throughout this story. We move back and forth between past and present several times and I felt that this added to the story since it allowed for a better understanding of everything that brought them to the point where they're a ...more
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is rare to find a story wrapped around children born as vampires. Marc and Julia were raised knowing they just did not know who their parents were. 40 years after their birth they are brought to San Francisco because their guardian has gone missing. This tale that switches from modern day to SF during the 70s is full of the scene, it would have a dream time to have been a vampire.

I really enjoyed the story long, it moved along nicely. I would love to hear more of the story
Nicole Luiken
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Vampire family drama. Vampires are made, not born--except for twins Julie and Marc Fischer. One plotline was set in 1968 and dealt with the twins' mother's relationship with master vamp Conrad, while the second plotline concerned a search for the missing Conrad in the present. I found this book highly addictive and will definitely be picking up book two in the series.
library goddess
I have some reservations about this book. I liked it but.....hated the ending. In fact, I wonder if I actually got the entire book on my friday freebee's. It just stopped! I know that it the first in a series but really? Will I read the rest of the series? Maybe...if the price is right!
Bailey Luna
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent book. Thank you Kindle for getting me hooked on this series.
Emily
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Emily by: free ebook on Amazon
A very different adult paranormal. It was lengthy, but I enjoyed it very much. I'm glad that my patience was rewarded in the end; most of my questions were answered. This was a well written book. A++
Victoria
Apr 19, 2013
Zara
Feb 09, 2016
Everett
rated it did not like it
Nov 18, 2015
Unconventional Love Stories. Unconditional Love.

PG Forte inhabits a world only slightly less strange than the ones she creates. Filled with serendipity, coincidence, love at first sight and dreams come true, it also bears a sometimes uncanny resemblance to Berkeley, California.

Originally a Jersey girl, PG now resides with her family on the extreme left coast where she write

Children of Night (6 books)
  • Old Sins, Long Shadows (Children of Night, #2)
  • Now Comes the Night (Children of Night, #3)
  • Ashes of the Day (Children of Night, #4)
  • Fallen Embers (Children of Night, #5)
  • To Curse the Darkness (Children of Night, #6)