Start by marking “The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)” as Want to Read:
The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures

(The World of Lore #1)

A fascinating, beautifully illustrated guide to the monsters that are part of our collective psyche, from the host of the hit podcast Lore, soon to be an online streaming series.

They live in shadows--deep in the forest, late in the night, in the dark recesses of our minds. They're spoken of in stories and superstitions, relics of an unenlightened age, old wives' tales, pas
Published October 10th 2017 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The World of Lore, please sign up.
Jason Powell I have never listened to the podcast and up until now had never heard of it.... so far I love the book (about 40% done) and maybe I like it more…moreI have never listened to the podcast and up until now had never heard of it.... so far I love the book (about 40% done) and maybe I like it more because it's all new to me considering I've never listened to the podcast. (less)

Amalia Gavea
‘’The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.’’
H.P. Lovecraft

Starting this book, I had the belief that nothing new was in store for me. That it would possibly prove to be a satisfying read on the Paranormal field but with little new to offer. Well, I was wrong. It was very well-written with some exciting changes from the norms that made it all the more interesting.

The title ‘’Monstrous Creatures’’ is a bit misleading.
HFK
3.5 stars.

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures was an accidental find while surfing around Amazon. I had no previous knowledge of there being a podcast by Aaron Mahnke that tackles through creatures, infamous and lore. This is probably a good thing as it seems the people who do listen the show claim this to be merely a recap of the show's material, which makes me assume this book is written for n00bies and hardcore fans rather than to someone who desires new information to deepen whatever the
Sara
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A perfect book for Halloween.

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures is a guide to the weird and wonderful bits of folklore and legend that roam our earth surrounding mysterious creatures. Each chapter presents a specific type of 'creature' for examination, before providing a number of local legends that relate to that creature with beautifully illustrated prints throughout.

The author does a good job at 'setting the scene' with these
Logan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
As a long time fan of the Lore podcast, this book was a huge let down. It houses maybe 10 illustrations and almost every story in it is a direct transcript of a podcast episode.

If someone hasn’t listened to the Lore podcasts, then maybe this could be a great gift. Aside from that, $20 to read something you can listen to for free? No thanks.
Leslie Ray
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun read for this time of year. Several reviewers have remarked that many of the chapters are almost verbatim from the author's podcasts. As I have not listened to his podcasts, I enjoyed the book and found it quite fascinating.

The "monstrous creatures" range from vampires, werewolves, and goblins to humans who have bridged the earthly and spiritual realms. The author also touched on some of the urban myths such as the Jersey Devil, which I had heard of but was not overly familiar.

I wis
Mike
I am a huge fan of podcasts (heck I even have a book shelf called "Also A Podcast"). They make my work commutes so much more pleasant and there are so many high quality ones to choose from. We are sort of in a new golden age of radio, just radio on demand that you can carry in your pocket. One that I quite enjoy is called Lore by Aaron Mahnke. It explores neat little nooks and crannies of folklore, stories that illuminate greater truths about human nature. Mahnke has a lovely voice and is able t ...more
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This non-fiction divulges the hidden secrets from the supernatural underbelly of our world. Testimonies from both ancient and modern-day, real-world sightings are used as a basis to explore each of the creatures featured in this anthology. The likelihood of their existence is then probed at, using links from literature, science, and religious and spiritual beliefs to prove or disprove the claims. The author provides no definite answer but rather suggests reasons for and a
Samantha
One of the most popular scary story podcast transforms into the written word. Some of my most favorite tales of the unexplained are profiled. Stories of monsters, ghosts, and even a few possessed dolls are featured. I CANNOT wait to read the sequel!
[Name Redacted]
Yes, it is pretty much just transcriptions of the podcast, now arranged topically.
Yes, it does include beautiful illustrations.
Yes, it is worth buying, but mainly if it's been a while since you listened to an episode of the podcast the transcription of which is featured herein.
Lucy Banks
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

A comprehensive guide to some of the world's most intriguing 'monsters'.

Firstly, I should state that I'm a massive fan of Lore podcast, and as such, was familiar with nearly all the tales set out in this book. Prospective buyers should be aware that the stories within the book are taken, pretty much word for word, from the podcast.

However, I think it's far fairer to judge the book on the presumption that readers wil
Kaora
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book and after reading it I would like to check out his podcast.

I have a fascination with urban legends and how things came to be. I believe it came from my husband, who loves listening to eyewitness accounts on podcasts like this. I'm not sure if I believe it, but I know that our world is so large there is no way we have discovered all there is to discover.

This book is a bit of a background on numerous mythical creatures - from vampires, to zombies, to Mothman and beyond t
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
DNF at 22%

Basically, this book is for diehard fans or those who can't access the podcast. I tried watching the show and didn't like it. I've tried the book and it was just the scripts for episodes in a book. I was hoping for more than that. I was hoping for added details and information. Not just a repeat of things I had already heard.

This would make for a great coffee table book since it catches the eye and is super quick to read. But, just didn't work for me. I'd rather listen to the podcast.
Anna
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much of the material here is taken from Mahnke's podcast, "Lore," which is very good. Although even with some of the stories in the book I hadn't heard before, Mahnke's writing style makes it seem familiar.
Every introduction follows his formula of setting the stage with a statement along the lines of "we're all afraid of the dark, because what is in the dark is unknown," followed by a historic legend, myth or bit of folklore, which is then followed by a longer historically fact-based
TheYALibrarian
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
Rating 2.5 Stars

I personally have been a lover of all things supernatural for as long as I can remember. While other kids made pictures and cute stories about unicorns and rainbows, I made stories on ghosts and vampires. My parents were horrified but eh they got over it, especially once they realized that love would never go away and as an adult it still has not.

But I digress, a lot of my rating has to do with my own personal taste. When I pick up a book on all things creepy I want it to not be
Amelia's Fantastical Bookends
I love and have always loved folklore. I especially love folklore when it's told this type of manner: the folk story, the history behind the lore, the science behind why human nature makes us believe certain lore, and again more of the legends themselves.

The only issue I had with this book was the way it was written, because it's very obvious that the language in here was originally used for the podcast itself, and a lot of the time what sounds good when we listen to a story vs when we read a st
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
I can't believe I won a copy. *tears of joy*
Well, considering the fact that I listen to Lore while I'm in the car, might as well have a copy on my shelf.
Melora
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun late-October book combining stories of uncanny events and encounters with breezy explorations of the folklore related to the various sorts of ghosts, beasties, and peculiar practices covered in each section. Prior to reading this, I was not aware of the “Lore” podcast (potential readers may want to note that some reviewers comment that the stories here are very similar to those presented in episodes of the podcast), and that originally oral presentation is very evident in the book, which i ...more
Trisha
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
"life is one long journey down a road, and we walk until it’s over. Some think they see light at the end of it all, while others hope for darkness. And that’s where the mystery of it all comes in. No one knows what’s on the other side; we just know that the proverbial walk ends at some point.”

This was a wonderful but dense book about creatures (especially for being so short!) Some of the stories were about the possible origins of some of our greatest horror stories like Dracula. Others were acc
Darnell
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I actually enjoyed parts of this book, but it has a huge mark against it. Skeptical of how credulous the author was being, I looked up one of the stories and discovered that the incident came only from one extremely dubious, tabloid-level source. Thus I needed to laboriously check everything that had been written to be sure I wasn't misinforming myself.

Though there are good pieces of the book, nonfiction where you have to constantly check if the author is repeating nonsense isn't acceptable to m
T. Blake
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
As previously stated, these are transcripts of selected episodes from the podcast with added art. The first episode (also the first chapter of the book) states there are transcripts available on its website. I haven't looked into it as I was listening to said episode while skimming through the book. The only benefit I can see of owning this book is if you wanted to get it autographed or are Deaf/HoH and prefer reading it via physical copy.
Katherine
”Perhaps, in the end, we’re all really monsters, aren’t we?”

I was never really much of a podcast/radio listener. I didn’t even hear about the Lore podcast until the advertisements for the TV show based off of it started popping up in my Amazon Prime newsfeed. Naturally, I had to figure out what all the fuss was about. So naturally, I looked up Lore and decided to give it a try.

Reader, I was hooked.

This podcast hit all the right notes for me. I come from a family that’s very interested in the
Scott Wilson
I am giving this 4 stars based on the quality of the writing and how much I have enjoyed the podcasts, but 3 stars for this book.

Overall I was not super thrilled that upon receiving this at midnight, the book seemed to just be a majority of copy/pasted material from the episodes.

Much of the advertisements during pre-release seemed to give the impression that there would be new material and that the author was working really hard on it. So I was hoping for something to be added to the growing w
Angie Rhodes
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I loved this book, beautiful illustrations to go with the legends and myths.
it is one of those books, that you pick up to read "one chapter" and carry on, loosing yourself in the woods, with the creatures that live there, your coffee going cold at the side of you..
Jesaca
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the intriguing topic, the style of writing was extremely engaging. I could not put it down, and I learned so much. Will be eagerly awaiting the next book in the series. This book is for anyone with even a remote interest in the unexplained and the origins of myths and legends.
Amy Caudill
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
In his Amazon Prime series, Aaron Mahnke offers an overview of the “lore” from numerous cultures created by our ancestors in an attempt to explain the unknown workings of the world around them. For example; how did a deadly disease contribute to a belief in the existence of vampires? What geological features as said to be the home of fairies?
Now the writer, producer, and narrator of the series Lore has released an anthology titled The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures, which includes some of t
Sophie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so interesting and entertaining and sometimes concerning. Basically each chapter is a short exploration into reports made about a possibly supernatural entity, written similarly to a campfire story, but without overdramatising things and whilst acknowledging other possible explanations and areas where evidence is lacking. I really enjoyed reading this book. It was shocking to me the amount of evidence surrounding some of these cases, and even though I don't necessarily believe that ...more
Chinook
This was super fun to listen to - makes sense since it started as a podcast - hence the four stars. I probably won’t retain much of it because it throws so much information at you and if you want to retain it I’d think maybe listening to the podcast more slowly than all of it back to back as an audiobook. I saw that it had illustrations so I also got the ebook - I liked the style of them quite a bit but there aren’t so many that you need to seek them out if you listen to the audiobook.
Krystal
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Good but it reads exactly like the podcast. Which isn’t the worst because AM has a unique narrative style. it tends to feel repetitive towards the middle, leaving me guessing whether or not I already heard this same story on the podcast.
Alison
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to be read by candlelight with tea and blanket to prevent shivers but, be warned, the book is as exciting and haunting as the podcast. Read it if you dare.
  • Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors
  • The Pack (Serenity Falls, #2)
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History
  • The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History
  • God, Dr. Buzzard, and the Bolito Man: A Saltwater Geechee Talks About Life on Sapelo Island, Georgia
  • American Monsters: A History of Monster Lore, Legends, and Sightings in America
  • Astrology Through a Psychic's Eyes
  • Giving Birth to Thunder, Sleeping with His Daughter
  • Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places
  • Japanese Tales
  • Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters
  • Ozark Magic and Folklore
  • In a Dark Place (Ed & Lorraine Warren #4)
  • A Feast of Sorrows
  • The Writer's Block: 786 Ideas To Jump-start Your Imagination
  • B Is for Boo: A Halloween Alphabet
  • A History of War in 100 Battles
  • Lincoln Dreamt He Died: The Midnight Visions of Remarkable Americans from Colonial Times to Freud
Aaron Mahnke is the creator, producer, and host of the hit podcast Lore (Best of iTunes 2015 & 2016), Executive Producer of the Lore television show on Amazon (from the producers of The Walking Dead), and author of The World of Lore book series (Penguin Random House / Del Rey).

Born and raised in Illinois, Aaron now lives with his wife and children on the historic North Shore of Boston, where h

The World of Lore (3 books)
  • The World of Lore: Wicked Mortals
  • The World of Lore: Dreadful Places (The World of Lore #3)
“New Jersey, you see, is full of monsters.” 1 likes
“Death, though, is a reality for all of us, whether we like it or not. Whether we’re young or old, rich or poor, healthy or sick, life is one long journey down a road, and we walk until it’s over. Some think they see light at the end of it all, while others hope for darkness. And that’s where the mystery of it all comes in. No one knows what’s on the other side; we just know that the proverbial walk ends at some point.” 0 likes