Start by marking “The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)” as Want to Read:
The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures

(The World of Lore #1)

A fascinating, beautifully illustrated guide to the monsters that are part of our collective psyche, from the host of the hit podcast Lore, soon to be an online streaming series.

They live in shadows--deep in the forest, late in the night, in the dark recesses of our minds. They're spoken of in stories and superstitions, relics of an unenlightened age, old wives' tales, pas
Published October 10th 2017 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The World of Lore, please sign up.
Jason Powell I have never listened to the podcast and up until now had never heard of it.... so far I love the book (about 40% done) and maybe I like it more becau…moreI have never listened to the podcast and up until now had never heard of it.... so far I love the book (about 40% done) and maybe I like it more because it's all new to me considering I've never listened to the podcast. (less)

Start your review of The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures (The World of Lore, #1)
Amalia Gavea
‘’The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.’’
H.P. Lovecraft

Starting this book, I had the belief that nothing new was in store for me. That it would possibly prove to be a satisfying read on the Paranormal field but with little new to offer. Well, I was wrong. It was very well-written with some exciting changes from the norms that made it all the more interesting.

The title ‘’Monstrous Creatures’’ is a bit misleading
Logan
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
As a long time fan of the Lore podcast, this book was a huge let down. It houses maybe 10 illustrations and almost every story in it is a direct transcript of a podcast episode.

If someone hasn’t listened to the Lore podcasts, then maybe this could be a great gift. Aside from that, $20 to read something you can listen to for free? No thanks.
Sara
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A perfect book for Halloween.

The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures is a guide to the weird and wonderful bits of folklore and legend that roam our earth surrounding mysterious creatures. Each chapter presents a specific type of 'creature' for examination, before providing a number of local legends that relate to that creature with beautifully illustrated prints throughout.

The author does a good job at 'setting the scene' with these
Leslie Ray
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a fun read for this time of year. Several reviewers have remarked that many of the chapters are almost verbatim from the author's podcasts. As I have not listened to his podcasts, I enjoyed the book and found it quite fascinating.

The "monstrous creatures" range from vampires, werewolves, and goblins to humans who have bridged the earthly and spiritual realms. The author also touched on some of the urban myths such as the Jersey Devil, which I had heard of but was not overly familiar.

I wis
Mike
I am a huge fan of podcasts (heck I even have a book shelf called "Also A Podcast"). They make my work commutes so much more pleasant and there are so many high quality ones to choose from. We are sort of in a new golden age of radio, just radio on demand that you can carry in your pocket. One that I quite enjoy is called Lore by Aaron Mahnke. It explores neat little nooks and crannies of folklore, stories that illuminate greater truths about human nature. Mahnke has a lovely voice and is able t ...more
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

This non-fiction divulges the hidden secrets from the supernatural underbelly of our world. Testimonies from both ancient and modern-day, real-world sightings are used as a basis to explore each of the creatures featured in this anthology. The likelihood of their existence is then probed at, using links from literature, science, and religious and spiritual beliefs to prove or disprove the claims. The author provides no definite answer but rather suggests reasons for and a
Beth
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favorites, kindle
As always, Aaron Mahnke is an amazing author in both these books and his podcasts.
Juli
I have been a faithful listener of Aaron Mahnke's Lore Podcast for years now. I enjoy his stories of the strange and unusual. So, of course, when he started publishing books and even an Amazon series, I jumped on board for those as well. The Amazon series was a dud for me. I enjoyed season one, but for season two they changed the format and it was terrible (in my opinion, of course).

I enjoy the books. They are basically transcripts of the podcast with illustrations. I don't mind that...I love t
Kaora
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book and after reading it I would like to check out his podcast.

I have a fascination with urban legends and how things came to be. I believe it came from my husband, who loves listening to eyewitness accounts on podcasts like this. I'm not sure if I believe it, but I know that our world is so large there is no way we have discovered all there is to discover.

This book is a bit of a background on numerous mythical creatures - from vampires, to zombies, to Mothman and beyond t
Samantha
One of the most popular scary story podcast transforms into the written word. Some of my most favorite tales of the unexplained are profiled. Stories of monsters, ghosts, and even a few possessed dolls are featured. I CANNOT wait to read the sequel!
Shaina
This was an interesting book with a wealth of information packed inside. How could anyone not find something that grabbed at the edge of an obsession or scratched at the edge of a fear lingering in the back of the mind? Legend, creatures of lore come alive here and sometimes remain a mystery and other times we are left with facts to add, digest, and think over. Sometimes it is just more mystery to add to mystery in the fog.
So far this is an incredible series.
I haven’t heard the podcasts but I
Lucy Banks
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

A comprehensive guide to some of the world's most intriguing 'monsters'.

Firstly, I should state that I'm a massive fan of Lore podcast, and as such, was familiar with nearly all the tales set out in this book. Prospective buyers should be aware that the stories within the book are taken, pretty much word for word, from the podcast.

However, I think it's far fairer to judge the book on the presumption that readers wil
Caidyn (he/him/his)
DNF at 22%

Basically, this book is for diehard fans or those who can't access the podcast. I tried watching the show and didn't like it. I've tried the book and it was just the scripts for episodes in a book. I was hoping for more than that. I was hoping for added details and information. Not just a repeat of things I had already heard.

This would make for a great coffee table book since it catches the eye and is super quick to read. But, just didn't work for me. I'd rather listen to the podcast.
[Name Redacted]
Yes, it is pretty much just transcriptions of the podcast, now arranged topically.
Yes, it does include beautiful illustrations.
Yes, it is worth buying, but mainly if it's been a while since you listened to an episode of the podcast the transcription of which is featured herein.
Anna
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much of the material here is taken from Mahnke's podcast, "Lore," which is very good. Although even with some of the stories in the book I hadn't heard before, Mahnke's writing style makes it seem familiar.
Every introduction follows his formula of setting the stage with a statement along the lines of "we're all afraid of the dark, because what is in the dark is unknown," followed by a historic legend, myth or bit of folklore, which is then followed by a longer historically fact-based
TheYALibrarian
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh
Rating 2.5 Stars

I personally have been a lover of all things supernatural for as long as I can remember. While other kids made pictures and cute stories about unicorns and rainbows, I made stories on ghosts and vampires. My parents were horrified but eh they got over it, especially once they realized that love would never go away and as an adult it still has not.

But I digress, a lot of my rating has to do with my own personal taste. When I pick up a book on all things creepy I want it to not be
Amelia's Fantastical Bookends
I love and have always loved folklore. I especially love folklore when it's told this type of manner: the folk story, the history behind the lore, the science behind why human nature makes us believe certain lore, and again more of the legends themselves.

The only issue I had with this book was the way it was written, because it's very obvious that the language in here was originally used for the podcast itself, and a lot of the time what sounds good when we listen to a story vs when we read a st
Melora
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun late-October book combining stories of uncanny events and encounters with breezy explorations of the folklore related to the various sorts of ghosts, beasties, and peculiar practices covered in each section. Prior to reading this, I was not aware of the “Lore” podcast (potential readers may want to note that some reviewers comment that the stories here are very similar to those presented in episodes of the podcast), and that originally oral presentation is very evident in the book, which i ...more
Claire is looking for Bloodlines series ARCs
I can't believe I won a copy. *tears of joy*
Well, considering the fact that I listen to Lore while I'm in the car, might as well have a copy on my shelf.
Faith M ✨
I've literally been putting this off for over a year. I got this on audio around the end of September of 2018, intending on reading it for Halloween that year, but then life declared that it had other plans and it got swept under the rug. Ultimately, I forgot about it, so I put it off for Halloween 2019, but that holiday came and went and this remained unread. So I decided to just read it for Christmas and not let yet another year go by.

And honestly, all this anticipation maybe ruined this. Or m
Trisha
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
"life is one long journey down a road, and we walk until it’s over. Some think they see light at the end of it all, while others hope for darkness. And that’s where the mystery of it all comes in. No one knows what’s on the other side; we just know that the proverbial walk ends at some point.”

This was a wonderful but dense book about creatures (especially for being so short!) Some of the stories were about the possible origins of some of our greatest horror stories like Dracula. Others were acc
Katherine
”Perhaps, in the end, we’re all really monsters, aren’t we?”

I was never really much of a podcast/radio listener. I didn’t even hear about the Lore podcast until the advertisements for the TV show based off of it started popping up in my Amazon Prime newsfeed. Naturally, I had to figure out what all the fuss was about. So naturally, I looked up Lore and decided to give it a try.

Reader, I was hooked.

This podcast hit all the right notes for me. I come from a family that’s very interested in th
Darnell
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I actually enjoyed parts of this book, but it has a huge mark against it. Skeptical of how credulous the author was being, I looked up one of the stories and discovered that the incident came only from one extremely dubious, tabloid-level source. Thus I needed to laboriously check everything that had been written to be sure I wasn't misinforming myself.

Though there are good pieces of the book, nonfiction where you have to constantly check if the author is repeating nonsense isn't acceptable to m
T. Blake
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
As previously stated, these are transcripts of selected episodes from the podcast with added art. The first episode (also the first chapter of the book) states there are transcripts available on its website. I haven't looked into it as I was listening to said episode while skimming through the book. The only benefit I can see of owning this book is if you wanted to get it autographed or are Deaf/HoH and prefer reading it via physical copy.
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

I have never listened to the podcast for this, which I think ultimately was both a good and bad thing. On the one hand this is apparently basically just a transcript of several episodes of the podcast, so if I had listened to it I probably wouldn't have gotten very far here. On the other hand, it took me awhile to realize this fact so I spent a large portion of the book wondering why the format was so weird. I mean I suppose each chapter has a coherent 'theme' but I was wonderi
Scott Wilson
I am giving this 4 stars based on the quality of the writing and how much I have enjoyed the podcasts, but 3 stars for this book.

Overall I was not super thrilled that upon receiving this at midnight, the book seemed to just be a majority of copy/pasted material from the episodes.

Much of the advertisements during pre-release seemed to give the impression that there would be new material and that the author was working really hard on it. So I was hoping for something to be added to the growing w
Jesaca
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the intriguing topic, the style of writing was extremely engaging. I could not put it down, and I learned so much. Will be eagerly awaiting the next book in the series. This book is for anyone with even a remote interest in the unexplained and the origins of myths and legends.
Angie Rhodes
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I loved this book, beautiful illustrations to go with the legends and myths.
it is one of those books, that you pick up to read "one chapter" and carry on, loosing yourself in the woods, with the creatures that live there, your coffee going cold at the side of you..
Amy Caudill
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
In his Amazon Prime series, Aaron Mahnke offers an overview of the “lore” from numerous cultures created by our ancestors in an attempt to explain the unknown workings of the world around them. For example; how did a deadly disease contribute to a belief in the existence of vampires? What geological features as said to be the home of fairies?
Now the writer, producer, and narrator of the series Lore has released an anthology titled The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures, which includes some of t
Horror Aficionados : Lore Tour 2019 1 21 Apr 26, 2019 10:47AM
Lettori sui generis: Antologia - The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures di Aaron Mahnke 25 22 Mar 09, 2018 01:27AM

• Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places
  • American Monsters: A History of Monster Lore, Legends, and Sightings in America
  • Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, Vol. 1
  • Monsters Among Us : an exploration of otherworldly bigfoots, wolfmen, portals, phantoms, and odd phenomena
  • American Witches: A Broomstick Tour Through Four Centuries
  • I Know What I Saw: Modern-Day Encounters with Monsters of New Urban Legend and Ancient Lore
  • News Literacy: The Keys to Combating Fake News
  • Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
  • Twenty-One Wishes
  • Los mitos de Cthulhu
  • Los muros de agua
  • Al filo del abismo: Roberto Gavaldón y el melodrama negro
  • The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (Welcome to Night Vale #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Killer Cruise (Sammy Keyes, #17)
  • The Suicide Battalion
  • Vampires: The Myths, Legends, and Lore
  • Finding Tess: A Mother's Search for Answers in a Dopesick America
  • Indigo: A Valentino Mystery
Aaron Mahnke is the creator, producer, and host of the hit podcast Lore (Best of iTunes 2015 & 2016), Executive Producer of the Lore television show on Amazon (from the producers of The Walking Dead), and author of The World of Lore book series (Penguin Random House / Del Rey).

Born and raised in Illinois, Aaron now lives with his wife and children on the historic North Shore of Boston, where he wr

The World of Lore (3 books)
  • The World of Lore: Wicked Mortals (The World of Lore, #2)
  • The World of Lore: Dreadful Places (The World of Lore, #3)