Start by marking “Unchained (Feathers and Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Unchained (Feathers and Fire, #1)

Unchained

(Feathers and Fire #1)

Meet Callie Penrose. Is she Heaven’s Devil, or Hell’s Angel?

Callie is a middle-class, Midwest American girl. And a wizard in training. She works for Roland, a member of the Vatican Shepherds – an elite group of twelve warrior priests who travel the world smiting whatever offends them or their Good Lord.

One problem. Callie isn’t a huge fan of churches… Not even a mino

Kindle Edition, 1st Edition , 315 pages
Published July 9th 2017 by Argento Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Unchained, please sign up.
Paige Guido At least 7 that we know of. Shayne Silvers plays a long game!

Start your review of Unchained (Feathers and Fire, #1)
Runningrabbit
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Swinging in chains

KU
A great new find to add to my series to follow list. A tough female protagonist with some good side kicks. There were, unfortunately, a couple of plot scenarios that the reader can see coming, but it is a rare occurance with any novel where there is a true twist so I can't say that this is a surprise.

I'm desperately waiting for book 2 and keeping an eye open for any fresh work from this author.
M
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Kate Williams
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unchained Review

If you want an urban-fantasy that has a lot of action and excitement then Unchained is a great book for you to read. Unchained is about Callie and her friend, Claire. They work together to stop the end of the world as we know it. Callie is a fierce wizard with white hair. Callie uses mainly magical rods, but also uses fireballs and staves. When contrasting Callie and Nate Temple, the main character of the authors previous series, you could say that Callie is more self reliant,
Ron MacQuarrie
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Couldn't finish it

The premise is good: wounded little girl rescued from a vicious attack, but no details. Who attacked her, why when, etc. So now she's caught in extreme PTSD to the point of being helpless under stress. Again, no details: was she treated? Anyway, as far as I read it; it was like that. Constantly, irritatingly vague. Silvers seemed more interested in pacing than in creating a good story.
Kevin Potter
Here we have a very mediocre Urban Fantasy that unfortunately makes use of many of the UF tropes that make me not overly fond of much of the genre. Balancing this, however, are a few unique elements brought into play in this book.

Nicole Poole provides us with some impressive audio narration. Her voices are varied, distinct, and well crafted. Her male voices are almost as good as the female ones are. Her vocal inflections are top notch, and her tempo shifts throughout are virtually perfect.

From
May
Great story! Character development for Callie was good, and she was really relatable. She likes to take charge and not rely on anyone, but I think it would've been nice if she were more accepting of Nate's help. There were some cute NatexCallie moments though!

Also it was kind of obvious what Jonathon was, and I think the ending was too rushed. There was a lot of new info at once and it was hard to digest. I'm sure it goes into more detail in the next book though! Overall a great start to a new s
Mike Finn
This post is about my experience of reading “Unchained” and how the part of me that was hungry for a new story gradually lost the will to read because of constant complaints from the part of me that pays attention to how a story is written.

I’m going to tell it as it happened.

Reading progress update: I’ve read 9%.
I’m gonna ignore my cranky old guy.

You know when you open a. graphic novel painted by an artist you like, one with a familiar style and a favourite palette and although the novel is abo
Zee Wyatt
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Made it to Chapter 23 before I finally gave in and put it down. I could go no further. The writing was just too sophomoric and I believe the author was trying to create suspense but in reality just created annoyance. Almost half way through a book and I'm still not sure what's its about... Not for me.
xxkitsunexx
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read (The Nate Temple series books 1-6 ) before i started this book and absolutely loved that series although it not necessary they do cross paths in this series.
This arthur has what it take to keep the reader reading so many other worldly creatures you name it this arthur brings them all to life in both series, i really enjoyed Callie and her story strong willed sassy but not overconfident gets as many knock as wins this book was none stop page turner of action i found myself laughing o
Amanda
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
3.7 stars. I enjoyed this book, but would have like a little more background. My guess is it will come with other books in the series. I also see Nate Temple has his own series, so maybe I should have read a couple of them first to get the background on the angels vs demon theme. This isn't a normal genre for me to read, but I will pick up book two to see how the story continues.
Tiera McMillian
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yea so the book description actually gives you more backstory than this whole book did. Was very confusing and frustrating getting thrown into a story that seems to already be taking place.
Alex
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to enjoy this. The author has a huge following, so I was sure I was in for a really good read, but I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I can forgive a few typos in the first few pages. They happen. But when the character has three paragraphs, one after another, all with "I realized..." in them, and then we get the "my mentor" repetitions, "he's my mentor" "oh by the way, did I mention he's my mentor" plus the clunky sentences. It's so frustrating because an editor will pi ...more
Hollie Aldridge
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What this is not-
Bodice ripping, insecure madden tale. No romance. No partnerbuilding.

What this could be-
Adventure heroine with ass kicking abilities just trying to do the best she can in a shit world (potential).

The friendships are what really make this story special. There are good examples of father/daughter relationships, male/female friendships, and soul sisters. For the ships and the great fight scenes, I give this a 4 star rating. It was an enjoyable read.

As always.... Good reading my
Jay Collins
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 to 3 stars, pretty standard book of this type. I did like some aspect but found others just average. I think I may continue with this series as it does show potential.
Heather Gilbert
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Woot!

I adore finding an author I have never read with an extensive backlist! I saw this book in my recommendations, took a bite and found a new writer to fill my queue. The writing is smooth and the characters intriguing, and even though this novel features faces seen in other book’s, this one can be read without previous experience (like me!) I’m going back now to see Nate’s beginnings, of I can hold off on Callie’s story, that is.

Pros:
- Smoothly written.
- UF perfection.
- The meta plot is ob
Kitlina
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the book. It was full of action and some romantic prospect, although not at all in the center of the plot. I like where the story line is heading.
There were of course some things that annoyed me but I got past them.
I love how the heroine is growing with each chapter and how she interacts with her friends.
I will definitely continue with this series.
Jana (HokuGirlReads)
3 and a half stars

I enjoyed the book and the strong female lead. My only complaint is I still have questions on some aspects that were not explained. So maybe this just means I need to read book two? The narrator is great and embodies the character in her voice well.
Bec
Just can not get into this one, the writing seems a bit repetitive and explanations are very vague.
Lora Shouse
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Callie Penrose is a girl wizard. Her mentor, Roland, works for the Vatican as a Shepherd. He and Callie are trying to retrieve a magical artifact for the Church when something goes wrong, and Roland is seriously injured. This leaves Callie to take care of the business on her own. Only she is convinced she isn’t ready.

They have information that a piece of the artifact they want will be up for bid at an auction open only to the very wealthy. Roland sends Callie, and she invites her best friend, Cl
Glenn Adams
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
OK. Really 2 1/2 stars. Perhaps if I'd started with the origin series and not the spin-off, my experience would've been better. Maybe.

I've been looking for new authors in UFF and SF, and was fed this book via the usual Amazon teaser ads. The carefully crafted blurbs got me interested (yes, I'm a sucker for many of these stories), and having grown up in the town the setting takes place was a big hook. So I bit. About 1/3 of the way through the book I realized two things: One, there's zero depth a
Rebecca
Jan 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Yuck

I'll be honest, I couldn't finish this. After all the great reviews, I had high hopes and expected decent writing and strong female lead. I'm not exactly sure what Silvers was trying to accomplish, but female characters are not his forte unless you're looking for inexplicable irrationality, weakness, and jealously. The plot was drab and predictable. The writing horrendous and repetitive.... We're taking the same point, explained multiple times, on the same page over and over again. I made it
Candice Alvarado
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really am thrilled that I bought this book

I'm not sure exactly what I said what I was expecting but I was really impressed with this first book of the series. Totally fun read that caught my interest early and now I can hardly wait to read the rest of the series . Read read read ! You won't regret buying this book !
Kelley
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story

I loved Callie and her honest relationships with others. She wasn't perfect and she was interesting for her flaws. She showed growth personally in accepting her issues and trying to work past them. Looking forward to the next book.
Kate
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent start to the series

Great read. Well paced, great characters. Loved Callie. Lots of character development. And Nate is just a major bonus! His series is awesome too. Love connection? That would be nice:)
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I finally got around to reading this book. I'm kicking myself for not reading it sooner. I love Callie and can't wait to see what's in store for her and even Hate. I always love reading about Nate Temple. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.
Amy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited, dnf
DNFed at 17%.. meh... not what I'm looking for I guess
Anniken Haga
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
OK, so review came sooner than I thought, because I can't seem to stop thinking about this book. It was so bad xD
But kinda in a hilarious way?

Not that the book in itself was funny. It tried really hard and failed at that. All the supposed whitty banter just felt forced and made me cringe. But it tried so hard.
This also went hand in hand with the general writing style, which was... not good. The author had a tendency of repeating the same word multiple times in one sentence, as if the reader di
Noone
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning of this book especially because I very much enjoyed the narration by Linnea Sage.
Some might call it unprofessional but I really love to hear the narrator smiling when reading funny paragraphs. Especially in the beginning, you can hear that she is really into the story herself.
She is not that good at doing many different distinct and recognizable voices but the genuine enjoyment makes it all up and engaged me much deeper than much more famous and professional
Sydney
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a series!!! Very enjoyable read!

Super entertaining, super realistic, and I'm super grateful it wasn't laced with ridiculous and unrealistic romance on every page. The book focuses on a bad ass female heroine that's forced into finding and owning her identity (magic!!) with only a small hint of her story focusing on her romantic life. Reading this as a woman (idk, maybe guys understand or read it differently), it was weird and gave off a slightly immature and perverted vibe when "b
LexiLikesLiterature
May 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
By Shayne Silvers
Narrated by Nicole Poole

Unchained is interesting in some parts and lacking essential details in others. Because the parts of the story that would make it unique are actually the vague parts, then your left thinking how much better this would have been if you knew what the heck was going on.

The main character works a long side a Holy Knight and has some unexplainable magical powers. There are hints that character has a secret past that is been hidden hidden from both the world a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• I’m Glad You’re Dead (Preternatural Chronicles)
  • Dawn and Quartered (Preternatural Chronicles Book 2)
  • Tombyards & Butterflies (Montague & Strong Case Files #1)
  • Deliverance (Preternatural Chronicles, #0.5
  • Blood is Thicker (Montague & Strong Case Files #3)
  • Druid's Due (Colin McCool, #8)
  • Graveyard Druid (Colin McCool #2)
  • Full Moon Howl (Montague & Strong Case Files #2)
  • Moonlight Druid (Colin McCool #3)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Dragons & Demigods (Montague & Strong Case Files #6)
  • Druid Justice (Colin McCool #5)
  • Homecoming (Montague & Strong Case Files #5)
  • Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Silver Clouds Dirty Sky (Montague & Strong Case Files #4)
  • Druid Enforcer (Colin McCool #6)
  • Underground Druid (Colin McCool #4)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
Let's cut to the chase. You read stuff. I write stuff. So, If you want to nab a few of my free Amazon Best Selling Urban Fantasy books to test the waters, go here: http://www.shaynesilvers.com

Now, let's talk about this specimen of a man named Shayne...

Shayne Silvers writes the "Nate Temple Series" which features a foul-mouthed, flawed, young wizard with a chip on his shoulder attempting to protec

Feathers and Fire (9 books)
  • Rage (Feathers and Fire, #2)
  • Whispers (Feathers and Fire, #3)
  • Angel's Roar (Feathers and Fire, #4)
  • Sinner (Feathers and Fire, #5)
  • Black Sheep (Feathers and Fire, #6)
  • Godless (Feathers and Fire, #7)
  • Anghellic (Feathers and Fire #8)
  • Trinity (Feathers and Fire, #9)

News & Interviews

“What I'm saying is that you don't have to be like anyone else, whether they are similar or different. You are your own person. The greatest enemy is often your perception of how you should be. But the greatest form of enlightenment is your rock-solid understanding of what you are, not what others have made of the cards they were dealt in life.” 1 likes
“Banish your fears. I am here. And the Lord is here. He always is.” 0 likes