Start by marking “Awakened” as Want to Read:
Awakened

Awakened

(Soul Chronicles #2)

The monster has awakened.

After her escape from the Tower and from her father's experiments, Kat Bloodmayne wakes up to discover the dark power inside of her has grown stronger. Now more than ever she needs to find the doctor who holds the key to healing her, but the only one who can help her find him is Stephen Grey, the very man who betrayed her.

Stephen Grey cannot change
Published November 14th 2017 by Enclave

To ask other readers questions about Awakened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakened

Emileigh Latham
OH MY GOSH! I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS BOOK! I'VE BEEN DYING FOR IT TO COME OUT!

I READ TAINTED IN ONE DAY AND I JUST KNOW THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE AMAZING, AWESOME, EPIC, FANTASTIC, FABULOUS, STUPENDOUS, MARVELOUS, WONDERFUL, TREMENDOUS, EXCITING, BRILLIANT, AND ALL THE THINGS!!!!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

asdfghjkl;!!!!

I JUST CAN'T EVEN.

Updated 12/21/17
Dear Awakened,
Just like your sister, Tainted, I read you in one day. Wow!
You were such an awesome story and totally worth the wait.
BUT HOW AM I SUPPOS
Janeen Ippolito
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A satisfying conclusion to the steampunk world of Tainted. Busse increases the pace and the action into a solid finale that holds true to the faith principles of the book and also offers a unique twist on the Frankenstein concept. Well thought out, clever, and cathartic.
A.C. Williams
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent conclusion! I love the characters and the adventure. The world Busse has built is captivating and realistic, with the sort of gritty beauty that truly makes you feel like part of it. A delightful steampunk-ish romp with a lot of heart, some deep symbolism, and great imagination. Highly recommended.
Ian
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read “Tainted”, the first in this 2-part series, I was looking forward to seeing what came of Kat Bloodmayne. In Tainted her character – her strength but vulnerability and her desire to be loved by her father, particularly grabbed me. And her father, is truly a very wicked man.

Having escaped with the help of Stephen Grey, Kat is desperate to find the one man whom she believes can help heal her. Being chased by 3 bounty hunters who her father has engaged to find her and bring her back, Ste
Rachael
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Given the way this book picks up immediately where book one leaves off, the two volumes could really constitute one stand-alone novel (it sufficiently concludes in the end, so I suspect there will be no more installments). I'm glad to see things I had noted in the previous book--sky pirates, the war, corruption--all have a larger role in this story!

I enjoyed that the story was meaningfully symbolic without diving deep into allegory (allegory just not being my thing). And I really liked that the
Maegen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awakened, the second in Morgan Busse’s steampunk series, was everything I hoped it would be.

The story picks up right where the first book left off. Despite Stephen’s daring rescue at the tower, it takes a while for Kat to trust him again. Kat is trying to keep the monster within at bay while they desperately search for Dr. Latimer, the only person who may be able to save her from herself. As Stephen learns more about how Kat gained her horrific powers, he can’t help but fear what may become of
Leslie M.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed Tainted (book #1), and I couldn’t wait to read Awakened. I’m usually a bit leery about sequels, as they usually don’t compare to the first book in the series. However, that wasn’t the case this time. Book #2 was amazing! I could totally envision scenes unfolding as though I were watching a movie (and I think the series should be made into movies!). Busse’s characters and scenes truly come to life!

I flew through this book in less than a day, as I found it that engaging.
Rondi Olson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you follow me and my reviews, you know I adore author Gail Carringer and the Finishing School YA series. The Soul Chronicles duology is nothing like Gail's writing (Gail's other series is Soulless, so this series is begging for a comparison) but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

I already described Tainted as darker and not as light a read as the Finishing School YA series, or even Soulless. Awakened is darker yet, with more references to scripture and the Christian analogy of being born ag
Ashley
It seemed like I waited forever for this sequel to be released, but I've gotta say, it was definitely worth the wait. It was SO good, just as fantastic and maybe even better than the first.

It starts off almost immediately where Tainted left off. I didn't think it possible, but Awakened was even more fast-paced than its predecessor. There was a lot of action and suspense. And often times, I'd find myself holding my breath in anticipation of what was to come and the situations the characters foun
Judy Opsal
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Morgan gets better and better with every book. I enjoyed "Awakened" Morgan's descriptiveness is wonderful. Her story line draws you in. Although the story line is predictable, the journey to the conclusion is exciting. I find myself not able to set the book aside. I did find the dialogue a little stiff. Use of conjunctions, I'm instead of I am, etc. may ease the flow. Maybe a little over use of references to that stray curl, and working a little too hard to show propriety in Stephen and Kat's be ...more
C.O. Bonham
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-met-the-author
Awakened by Morgan L. Busse is the second part of The Soul Chronicles. A two part steampunk series about Kat Bloodmayne and her quest to overcome the monster inside of her.

Where the first book was about discovering what was wrong with her, the second is very much about fixing it. Inside Kat is a power that is growing, and it will consume her soul if she doesn't get it out.

This is very hard for me to write this review without spoilers. I will say that this is, at its core, a spiritual story. It
Julynn
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the wrap up of the story but the trauma in the middle was a bit much for me. The author made a powerful salvation allegory. I appreciate the depth of characters and the overall lessons learned. I especially loved the devotion that Stephen showed to Kat and their story line. I just had a hard time hanging on during the dark parts of the story.....For one who usually reads this genre, a must read.
Jennie Webb
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this story!! This one is even better than Tainted, the first book in the series. I was hoping for a good ending that would not leave me hanging, and I am very happy to tell you that Morgan delivered. There are a few new characters in this book, and a few from the last one that you will get to know better Suspense, intrigue, good vs. evil, steampunk machines and inventions, what more could you ask for?

Thanks so much for the advance copy!
Kristen Stieffel
Great finish to The Soul Chronicles. I hope the publisher will produce an omnibus version, at least in e-book, because it really is one story in two volumes. The plot is like a cross between Frankenstein and Jekyll and Hyde, with a Jules Verne setting. A great adventure story with a thought-provoking conclusion.
Richard Spillman
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second steampunk book I’ve ever read and the second in Morgan Busse’s The Soul Chronicles. As much as I loved the first, I adore this one. The masterful way she weaves God through the story without being preachy is a work of art. The ending was especially action packed in a I-can’t-put-it-down kind of way. The only sad part is that this world ends with this book.
R.M. Lutz
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great follow up to Tainted! This book continues all of the fantastic steampunk drama and worldbuilding of the first novel with continued development of Kat and the other characters. Recommended to fans of Christian speculative fiction, teens and up.

Like Christian spec fic? Check out thebookhoundchristianspecfic.blogspot.com for full-length reviews, author interviews, and more!
Kim  Gregory
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second and it appears the last book in The Soul Chronicles. This is a continuation of the first book, so it would behoove you to read the first book first! LOL!

Awakened is the journey that Kat and Stephen take to find Dr. Latimer, whom they do find and who does have an answer for the problem. Unfortunately things aren't as easy as they had hoped they would be!

This is a clean read.
Fire
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is book two of the series and the amazing adventure continues. This is a great series and I really enjoyed it. This series is the first time I’ve delved into steam punk and I think I’m hooked.

5 Stars!
Stacy
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read

If you pick up any of Morgan's books, prepare a cup of tea, grab a fuzzy blanket, and snuggle in for the long haul. You won't want to put them down. Another fabulous read!
Katie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Awakened is awesome! Busse's creativity and heart have quickly made her an author I want to keep up with. The depth of her themes are so exciting to read. Some pacing felt off to me, but that pales in comparison to all the other pieces of this book.
Kaitlyn M Carter_Author
Enjoyable conclusion.

I believe I enjoyed the pacing of the first one more, however, the emotional punches were spot on from beginning to end. Overall, I thought the plot rather simple and the wrap-up almost too easy, however, the Christian worldview and salvation analogy holds bright and true.
Gloria
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the characters, the adventure, the romance. Enjoyed the steampunk setting. All good stuff.
Lauren
Wonderful story! Morgan did it again with her story telling. This series is amazing and a wonderful completion.
Shawneda Marks
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tsc-podcast-read
Enjoyed talking about this book with the author and podcast co host.
Donna Foster
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
The creative writing skills in this clean steampunk novel encourages feelings of hopefulness.
Anna
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2018
Feb 07, 2019
Sarah Wright
Sep 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy #1)
  • Emissary (Legends of the Realm, #1)
  • Lawless (The Ironfire Legacy, #1)
  • Pokémon Adventures: Heart Gold & Soul Silver, Vol. 2 (Pokémon Adventures, #42; Pokémon Adventures: Heart Gold & Soul Silver, #2)
  • Sense and Sensibility: An Amish Retelling of Jane Austen's Classic  (The Amish Classics, #4)
  • Silent Night
  • The Tremblers (Blackburn Chronicles #1)
  • The Accidental Giant (Adventures of Kit Bristol #2)
  • Planet Ladder, Volume 2
  • Time's Children
  • The Bird House (The Amish of Jamesport #3)
  • A Courtship on Huckleberry Hill (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #8)
  • Star Wars:  The New Essential Guide to Weapons & Technology
  • Crossword Bible Studies - The Gospel of Matthew: King James Version
  • Reintegration (Reintegration #1)
  • Decent Exposure
  • Winter Fae (Armored Hearts, #0.5)
  • Doctor Who Coloring Book
Morgan L. Busse is a writer by day and a mother by night. She is the author of the Follower of the Word series and the award-winning steampunk series, The Soul Chronicles. Her debut novel, Daughter of Light, was a Christy and Carol Award finalist. During her spare time she enjoys playing games, taking long walks, and dreaming about her next novel.

Soul Chronicles (2 books)
  • Tainted (Soul Chronicles, #1)