Start by marking “Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context” as Want to Read:
Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context

Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  311 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A Christianity Today 2004 Book of the Year In this masterful and innovative book Glen H. Stassen and David P. Gushee join profound ethical reflection with faith in Jesus Christ, a life of discipleship and the hope of the present and coming kingdom of God. The result is a challenging, comprehensive treatment of Christian ethics centered on the life and teachings of Jesus. D ...more
Published January 17th 2003 by IVP Academic (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom Ethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom Ethics

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context
Susie
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read several portions, both for a class and a reading group. So insightful about Christian ethics, and highlights how they are responses to the graciousness of God rather than a burden of human effort. Focuses primarily on Scripture and the life of Jesus as sources of ethics, rather than philosophically derived ethics (though it relates to them). Still extremely analytical and intellectually sound. EXCELLENT and quite powerful.
Chris Bennett
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very, very good. A few mildly liberal bones to spit out, but the way Stassen and Gushee root Jesus' teaching of the Sermon on the Mount in prophetic literature is terrific. And their proposed hermeneutic of reading Jesus' teachings as "triads" is worth the price of the book.
Arnold Torres
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, pastoral
Very good book, reading for a graduate class!
Jeremy Bouma
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Like many of you, I was reared in the Christian faith. Saved at 5. Baptized at 8. First special music at church around 13. Won a preaching award at 14. Went off to Christian university at 18.

Like I said. Reared.

And the type of church I was reared in was what people like to call a "bible believing" church. I don't say that with smirk. I only point that out because as a fundamentalist church we were absolutely committed to the Bible, the authority of Scripture as the founda
Tuna
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a solid book that examines Christian ethics through Jesus's actual words and life. That's a lot more than I can say for many books on Christian ethics, which often only teach you the authors' own biases or the platform of their political allies. Stassen and Gushee clearly believe in the whole Gospel and share it effectively here.

My main issue with the book is that while I agree with most of the authors' ethical conclusions, and appreciate that they clearly source their positi
Vesselin
Основана е върху Библията, най-вече върху проповедта на планината. Взема под внимание екзегетиката, за да разтълкува правилно библейския текст. Съдържанието е добре подбрано, научно издържано и на съвсем достъпен език.
Sandra
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sandra by: Byron Boerger, Hearts & Minds Books
Shelves: bible-theology
Very solid stuff, although it's very dry and reads like a commentary. It's always hard for me to pinpoint why some writers are pure pleasure to read, why the style of particular authors draws me to their work, and why others, like Stassen and Gushee, feel more like work. Here, I think the work is worth it, but I wish it was more compelling.

The discussions of the Beatitudes in general are particularly interesting, with some useful insights. For instance, regarding the third Beatitude
Ryan
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is important, fair-minded, and accessible book. Stassen and Gushee explore Christian ethics using the structure and content of Sermon on the Mount as a theological base. The result is original, comprehensive, and compelling. It is definitely worth reading for those interested in the topic.

But as an "introductory" text to Christian ethics I found the presentation half-complete. Stassen and Gushee address traditional ethical views only briefly and sporadically while spending a great deal of
Ben Peltz
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent discourse on Christian ethics that does a good job of bringing Jesus' teachings back into focus within an evangelical context that so often loses sight of them. Particularly helpful are two tools they present: character ethics and the triad interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount. It would have been nice if the authors had brought these concepts into unity with the ethical portions of the Epistles (such as the Fruit of the Spirit) and the Old Testament redemptive narrative, but th ...more
Kyle
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
While I appreciate Stassen and Gushee's efforts here - they avoid neat and tidy "thus sayeth the Lord" and grapple with contextualizing the ancient message of Scripture, I'm not totally sold on their methodology. While their triad approach to interpreting the sermon is appropriate much of the time it is hardly convincing as a universally applicable hermenuetical tool for all of the Sermon on the Mount. Thus, in my opinion the book falls short of some of its goals. However, this book is a great p ...more
Graham
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great resource to have on one's shelf. Stassen and Gushie use the Sermon on the Mount as the foundation for articulating what a life according the teachings of Jesus will look like. Addresses topics like politics, gender, sexuality, violence, the environment, and others, from the perspective of Jesus' model of compassion, justice, and integrity. A good go to for aiding in describing the life of a disciple.
Matt
For the record, I didn't read all of this book. Parts of it were required reading for a graduate level class I was in, and I mildly enjoyed what I read. I was recently going through my books, getting rid of those that I thought I wouldn't read soon, and Kingdom Ethics was a casualty of this house cleaning. However, just yesterday I was wishing that I had kept this book. Thus, I give it a 3-star rating. Good enough to check out, but not so good that I felt compelled to keep it.
Nathan Nearpass
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
A good reminder that all Christians are Christians first and then Americans. And at the same time they have a duty to involve themselves in the politics of their nations for the good of God's Kingdom. Very interesting discussions on big issues: war and peace, death penalty, abortion, etc.
Jason Arant
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great read on Christian ethics from the context of Jesus sermon on the mount.
Insightful perspective on the ethics of the Kingdom as 180 reverse on ethics of the present world system.
Rod Buchanan
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You have to love an approach to ethics that seeks the perspective of Jesus. This book is deeply thoughtful and thoroughly researched. It covers everything and brings refreshing new perspectives.
Suzii Paynter
Academically thorough and updated - a combination of Stassen wisdom and Gushee contemporary energy regarding a Christian ethic from evangelical viewpoint.
Tony Simpson

• Crooked Little Vein
  • The Republic
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • Doing Christian Ethics from the Margins
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine
  • Learning to Walk in the Dark
  • The Journey of Modern Theology: From Reconstruction to Deconstruction
  • Pia Desideria
  • Christianity Rediscovered
  • The Church
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
Glen Harold Stassen was a Southern Baptist theologian who helped define the social-justice wing of the evangelical movement in the 1980s and played a role in advancing nuclear disarmament talks toward the end of the Cold War.

Stassen studied nuclear physics at the University of Virginia and worked briefly in a naval laboratory after graduation before deciding that he could not contribut
“For Jesus, what belonged to God? Everything. Jesus was a Jew, not a dualist. He knew God is the Lord over everything. His teaching in Matthew 22:17-21 is an ironic Hebrew parallelism (Bornkamm, Jesus of Nazareth, 121-4). The second member of the parallelism, “Render to God the things that are God’s,” means “render everything to God.” It gives an ironic twist to the first half of the teaching: God has sovereignty over Caesar; we render to Caesar only what fits God’s will.” 0 likes
“Guelich argued that the Beatitudes should be interpreted not as wisdom teachings but as prophetic teachings. Wisdom teachings emphasize human action that is wise because it fits God’s way of ordering the world and therefore gets us good results. Prophetic (or eschatological) teachings emphasize God’s action that delivers (rescues, frees, releases) us from mourning into rejoicing. Is Jesus saying, “Happy are those who mourn, because mourning makes them virtuous and so they will get the reward that virtuous people deserve”? Or is he saying, “Congratulations to those who mourn, because God is gracious and God is acting to deliver us from our sorrows”? The tradition of ideals or wisdom (1) speaks to people who are not what the ideals urge, and (2) promises them that if they will live by the ideals they will get the rewards of well-being and success. The Beatitudes are not like that. (1) They speak to disciples who already are being made participants in the presence of the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ—we already know at least a taste of the experience of mourning, mercy, peacemaking and so on. And (2) they do not promise distant well-being and success; they congratulate disciples because God is already acting to deliver them. They are based not on the perfection of the disciples but on the coming of God’s grace, already experienced in Jesus, at least in mustard-seed size (Mt 13:31; 17:20; Mk 4:31; Lk 13:19).” 0 likes